Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It had a strong White Wolf vibe and felt out of place, so I'm glad to see it go.

Not what I'd have preferred but very rare is something from this team I can't mine for at least a few great ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
It reminded me of the Succubus club too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

And since I want to help get to that goal: Am I correct that if I wanted to get every new book funded through the Kickstarter as a PDF, plus Fall of Delta Green in PDF, that'd be $80 for Rising Threats then $25 for Fall of DG PDF as an add-on? What are my options if I wanted to go all new PDFs + all previously published PDFs + Fall of DG PDF?

All of the Kickstarter pdfs minus Fall of Delta Green = Rising Threats $80
All of the Kickstarter pdfs including Fall of Delta Green = Rising Threats + $25 addon for $105 total.
All of the new and old pdfs minus Fall of Delta Green = Secrets of the Old Ones $180
All of the new and old pdfs including Fall of Delta Green = Secrets of the Old Ones + $25 addon for $205 total.
purchasing all the old pdfs as addons is $175 if not a part of a bundle.
All of the new and old pdfs and one of every hardcover book, including Fall of Delta Green = The Old Ways $350

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Assuming everything promised eventually delivers, what's the total a-la-carte cost up to on the "all the new hardcovers plus all the new PDFs" $300 level?

It's like 6 $50 and 1 $70 hardcover at this point, plus the assorted PDFs, is that right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

All of the Kickstarter pdfs minus Fall of Delta Green = Rising Threats $80
All of the Kickstarter pdfs including Fall of Delta Green = Rising Threats + $25 addon for $105 total.
All of the new and old pdfs minus Fall of Delta Green = Secrets of the Old Ones $180
All of the new and old pdfs including Fall of Delta Green = Secrets of the Old Ones + $25 addon for $205 total.
purchasing all the old pdfs as addons is $175 if not a part of a bundle.
All of the new and old pdfs and one of every hardcover book, including Fall of Delta Green = The Old Ways $350

Thanks. Secrets of the Old Ones is a little too rich for my blood, but I did go for Rising Threats + Fall

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It doesn't help that all of the old game info books, as opposed to short story collections and digital magazines, were in a bundle of holding for like 15 dollars.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What's the "canonical" status of the Karotechia these days? Most of the principles have some species of "immortality," so technically they could be active, but it's also a pretty low hanging, somewhat inept, and comically evil fruit that would be both easy and satisfying to just utterly clown stomp into the mud before the odometer rolled over on the millennium.

And because it's so potentially satisfying to thwart as a palette cleanser between unstoppable alien monster gods, I almost want to keep it around for my campaign despite being so long in the tooth. With the resurgent popularity of neofascist movements in the US and EU in reaction to climate and conflict migration, it could have some willing dupes to put its tendrils in.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So Delta Green just blew past the PISCES stretch goal, and there's a final final one at 340k for Falling Towers, where Delta Green takes on The Fate, a shadowy network at the heart of New York city that Delta Green has locked horns with before and have only ever been able to fight to a stalemate. But with the disappearance of their leadership, DG wants to take one more shot at them, with a campaign by Shane Ivey, Daniel Harms, and Dennis Detwiller.

And since I want to help get to that goal: Am I correct that if I wanted to get every new book funded through the Kickstarter as a PDF, plus Fall of Delta Green in PDF, that'd be $80 for Rising Threats then $25 for Fall of DG PDF as an add-on? What are my options if I wanted to go all new PDFs + all previously published PDFs + Fall of DG PDF?

SECRETS OF THE OLD ONES for $180 and then add $25 for FALL of Delta Green

The old pdfs would be $175 to buy on their own, so it's still a good deal if you want them all, if not you might want to pick and choose and get them through drivethru.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Otisburg posted:

What's the "canonical" status of the Karotechia these days? Most of the principles have some species of "immortality," so technically they could be active, but it's also a pretty low hanging, somewhat inept, and comically evil fruit that would be both easy and satisfying to just utterly clown stomp into the mud before the odometer rolled over on the millennium.

And because it's so potentially satisfying to thwart as a palette cleanser between unstoppable alien monster gods, I almost want to keep it around for my campaign despite being so long in the tooth. With the resurgent popularity of neofascist movements in the US and EU in reaction to climate and conflict migration, it could have some willing dupes to put its tendrils in.

They've not published the new status quo for everything but from seminars at Gen Con, the Karotechia are assumed to be pretty much gone, or at least as any sort of significant threat. I think you could definitely have some last vestiges hanging around, or some nutjob who found out about them and wants to 'bring it all back', only to get squashed flat by Official DG (or quietly noisily murdered by the cowboys.

Otisburg posted:

Assuming everything promised eventually delivers, what's the total a-la-carte cost up to on the "all the new hardcovers plus all the new PDFs" $300 level?

It's like 6 $50 and 1 $70 hardcover at this point, plus the assorted PDFs, is that right?

$440, 6 $50 hardbacks, one $70 hardback, one $25 screen and $45 in PDFs. Add another $50 if Falling Towers funds.

PST fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 28, 2015

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
I thought Karotechia got wiped out in the old corebook. I know there were suggestions for keeping them alive indefinitely, but I thought "canon" was that DG raided their compound in South America and got all three of their top guys.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

InShaneee posted:

I thought Karotechia got wiped out in the old corebook. I know there were suggestions for keeping them alive indefinitely, but I thought "canon" was that DG raided their compound in South America and got all three of their top guys.

I don't have it open in front of me but while they basically suggest it as an EZ-Mode punching bag for the players to run roughshod over, they don't introduce it then declare it kaput right in the first DG book. Plus the followup Countdown features a scenario where a fairly substantial active interest on US soil is exposed and they put up some pretty stiff resistance to shutting it down, including sending their invincible ubermench commando guy.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 28, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has anyone figured out the 'sweet spot' for the DG kickstarter? ie: Where you get the most stuff for the most reasonable amount of money?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Really depends on what you're after, how much you value physical vs. electronic format.

It doesn't really seem to be a Reaper Bones "You'd be an idiot not to" type bargain bonanza.

I will say that limited run Delta Green hardcovers seem to command a serious mark-up on the secondary market.

You're not going to pay off your mortgage but I'd suspect if you get the $300 bundle and keep them in decent shape you'll probably have no trouble whatsoever flipping any unwanted ones for at least cover.

This post is for information and illustrative purposes only and does not purport to show actual results. It is not, and should not be regarded as investment advice or as a recommendation regarding any particular security or course of action. Opinions expressed herein are current opinions as of the date appearing in this material only and are subject to change without notice. Reasonable people may disagree about the opinions expressed herein. In the event any of the assumptions used herein do not prove to be true, results are likely to vary substantially. All investments entail risks. There is no guarantee that investment strategies will achieve the desired results under all market conditions and each investor should evaluate its ability to invest for a long term especially during periods of a market downturn. No representation is being made that any account, product, or strategy will or is likely to achieve profits, losses, or results similar to those discussed, if any.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Otisburg posted:

I can't remember exactly where, but I'm sure that it's been stated that the Karotechia is gone. Reinhard Galt and Gunther Frank are immortal, but Olaf Bitterich is not and he'd be 114 now. (Delta Green's original release in 1996 hit a strangely sweet spot of being both after the end of the Cold War, yet still within living memory of WWII. It allowed all these secret organizations to have single unbroken links back to their births in WWII.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm not down with digital only (e-readers generally give me a headache) and I can't justify $300 on nerd books all at once. It looks like most backers are doing the $50 level and getting extra stuff a la carte, so that'll probably do.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

I can't remember exactly where, but I'm sure that it's been stated that the Karotechia is gone. Reinhard Galt and Gunther Frank are immortal, but Olaf Bitterich is not and he'd be 114 now. (Delta Green's original release in 1996 hit a strangely sweet spot of being both after the end of the Cold War, yet still within living memory of WWII. It allowed all these secret organizations to have single unbroken links back to their births in WWII.)

Re-reading the section in the core book it does seem wildly implausible that they would be around resembling anything like what they do now.

Here's how I see it shaking out:

Bitterich would be implausibly old, and with two "immortal" guys in the triumverate already it feels a little cheap to add a third. I don't see Frank sharing his secret, and certainly not Galt. Technically one of the 12 Bischofe could raise him, but given the way the spell works as an existential gun-to-the-head I can see said Bischofe seizing power from him and the resulting power struggle wrecking the inner circle, and even under threat of mis-reanimation he's going to be reluctant to give up the secret of contacting "The Fuhrer."

Frank's style of immortality is so fragile it's a wonder he's lasted as long as he did. You practically just have to crack a window. Once DG finds out about La Estancia, he's toast.

Galt is the most likely to survive, because he seems to be the least ideologically motivated, given his opportunistic fratricide and wanton "miscegenation." Sure he looks like the Aryan template from the old posters, but once Bitterich and his ability to summon "The Furher" are gone nothing is really cowing him into The Cause. He's reasonably hard (but not impossible) to kill, still has unnaturally youthful vigor, and is pretty resourceful and capable. I see him being the most likely to survive a DG action, escape the gravity of the other two and go off to be a boogieman that pursues his own self-interest as a mercenary or assassin for hire.

So sometime within or shortly after the turn of the millennium, DG puts the pieces together and pulls together a massive hammer strike against its old enemy, maybe under the guise of a multinational drug plantation raid. Bitterich if he hasn't died of natural causes yet, he's toast at this point. Frank goes to Melt Disney World when they breach the his little sealed habitat. Galt sees which way the wind is blowing and beats a retreat into the jungle (or maybe he's out on an errand and gets the news and decides to steer clear), and goes to ground.

The Pawns and Knights in cells abroad, absent central leadership, keep doing neofacist thug stuff without any real coordination.

The Bishops are probably decimated, though a few out on errands may survive. They have some mythos knowledge that can cause trouble, but no life-extension, and they ranged from their 40's to 60's in 1997, so the oldest among them are either dead or infirm, and the youngest are well past their prime.

Since they are such a fun, pulpy, guilt-free villain to dunk on, I do like the idea of letting the agents chase down the last dying spasms from this death blow

So you've got a cannibal commando, probably just doing stringer work to keep himself in the style he's accustomed to. His mean streak and eating habits probably don't earn him any close friends, and while I can see him commanding a gang of mercs, I don't see them being particularly motivated beyond the payday. Or maybe he returns prodigal son style to the Anziques to lay low for a while before emerging on the stage, but I don't see that being his ultimate "retirement." He may occasionally throw his weight around with unaffilliated former Knights and Pawns, who continue to hold him as a figure of awe, but he doesn't have the vision or charisma to do much beyond throw them at some immediate goal.

I don't see him as a lasting Mythos-type threat: He seems satisfied with knowing how to eat people to live forever and having a magic anti-bullet ring, and doesn't actively seek out more than that. Which is actually pretty smart from a mythos perspective, he's got a good deal going on and oughtn't push his luck.

He's a Monster of the Week kind of gimmie, a loose end that Delta Green wants to wrap up for the satisfaction of final closure on their oldest foe, but he's not out trying to start a Fifth Reich or summon Dread Azathoth.

I can also see making some hay out of a septuagenarian wizard former Bishop setting up shop with a larger neofascist movement, wowing them with his Aryan Nazi Magic, and trying to become the new Bitterich. When leadership gets confirmation of the threat, the players might be suprised at the resources that go into swatting down one of the few rats that got off such a hated ship.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 29, 2015

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
The thing is, an ageless cannibal mercenary is not the stuff of mental stability. Sooner or later, he's going to lose his military cool and starting doing dumb things, like building a new cult, teaching others his secrets or visiting Point 103. What's that? It's only a Karotechia outpost in Antarctica that happened to unearth the ruins of a certain civilization down there. Delta Green wiped out it out in the 1950s after the Karotechia and some Argentinians tried to loot it. Who's to say that there can't be one last visit?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It probably is more satisfying for the scenario hook to be "He's trying to reanimate Hitler at a secret base in Antarctica!" or something rather than "Yeah, he's just kind of laying low and doing his thing, not really bothering anybody... except for the eating people part and the occasional assassination-for-hire."

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Otisburg posted:

Re-reading the section in the core book it does seem wildly implausible that they would be around resembling anything like what they do now.

Here's how I see it shaking out:

Bitterich would be implausibly old, and with two "immortal" guys in the triumverate already it feels a little cheap to add a third. I don't see Frank sharing his secret, and certainly not Galt. Technically one of the 12 Bischofe could raise him, but given the way the spell works as an existential gun-to-the-head I can see said Bischofe seizing power from him and the resulting power struggle wrecking the inner circle, and even under threat of mis-reanimation he's going to be reluctant to give up the secret of contacting "The Fuhrer."

Frank's style of immortality is so fragile it's a wonder he's lasted as long as he did. You practically just have to crack a window. Once DG finds out about La Estancia, he's toast.

Galt is the most likely to survive, because he seems to be the least ideologically motivated, given his opportunistic fratricide and wanton "miscegenation." Sure he looks like the Aryan template from the old posters, but once Bitterich and his ability to summon "The Furher" are gone nothing is really cowing him into The Cause. He's reasonably hard (but not impossible) to kill, still has unnaturally youthful vigor, and is pretty resourceful and capable. I see him being the most likely to survive a DG action, escape the gravity of the other two and go off to be a boogieman that pursues his own self-interest as a mercenary or assassin for hire.

One of the absolutely best elements of Delta Green was how plot-hook-ridden everything was. Every organization has multiple characters with distinct and often contrary motivations, which will cause Things To Happen(TM) pretty much by itself, and a small nudge can cause radical changes that the players have to respond to. The three Nazis sitting around in South America are not Nazi 1, Nazi 2, and Nazi 3, ready and willing to create the Fourth Reich - Bitterich is the ideological Nazi planning and plotting, and Frank and Galt frankly just want him gone, but they're afraid of his sorcerous power - at the same time Bitterich is a very, very old man desperate for immortality, and withholding it from him is the one thing Frank and Galt can do to keep him in check.

The same with Majestic 12, where each member of the Steering Committee has their own opinions on the Accord and form small internal alliances against each other. There's one member who wants to destroy Delta Green, one who wants to ally it against the Greys, and one who wants to use it to kill MJ1. Reading the core books is like having the outline of an open-ended campaign handed to me, with minimal work necessary to have a full outline of the plot.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Otisburg posted:

It probably is more satisfying for the scenario hook to be "He's trying to reanimate Hitler at a secret base in Antarctica!" or something rather than "Yeah, he's just kind of laying low and doing his thing, not really bothering anybody... except for the eating people part and the occasional assassination-for-hire."

He's certainly the one who is going to last the longest. Also, maybe instead of going to Point 103, he starts hanging out with the other notable group of corpse eaters - the ghouls. Maybe he becomes an ally to the heretics in NYC, providing fresh meat in exchange for lore or perhaps access to the Dreamlands. Why? To resurrect Hitler of course or build a new Karotechia through dream meetings with neo nazis. Imagine a terrorist group that used the Dreamlands to communicate and organize - NSA can't monitor that, can they?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Imagine a terrorist group that used the Dreamlands to communicate and organize - NSA can't monitor that, can they?

:tinfoil: Who says they can't? :tinfoil: With everyone looking at electronic snooping who is to say that the NSA, with the help of Majestic or someone else, doesn't tap into the Dreamlands for their own sinister or not-so-sinister reasons?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Well Falling Towers just funded

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Coffeehitler posted:

:tinfoil: Who says they can't? :tinfoil: With everyone looking at electronic snooping who is to say that the NSA, with the help of Majestic or someone else, doesn't tap into the Dreamlands for their own sinister or not-so-sinister reasons?

:tinfoil: CIA has been using the Dreamlands to smuggle drugs and weapons since the 70's. :tinfoil:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Are there any good sourcebooks on The Dreamlands? I don't really get it outside of "It's where dreams are".

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

Are there any good sourcebooks on The Dreamlands? I don't really get it outside of "It's where dreams are".

I want to say there's at least one large book for CoC that is all about the Dreamlands. There might also be a couple of adventure books dealing with them, but you've got the jist of it. Its where dreams live, and iirc there's a couple spots where you can actually travel into them. But that's from reading Lovecraft about ten or fifteen years ago, so I might be rusty on that.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
The dreamlands also have weird pockets of forgotten gods and their own civilizations. It's not just dreams, the whole place works according to an odd system of belief and changing rules.

I don't know the older CoC sourcebooks on them. I think there was one - Nocturne or something like that? for the D20 version.

There's also "Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man" which is a campaign book by Dennis Detwiller. It's a pretty large book and I haven't looked at it much. RPPR did a seven episode campaign of it that you can check for ideas and an example play-through.

Trail of Cthulhu also has the very cool "Dreamhounds of Paris" wherein the French Surrealists discover the Dreamlands. Just as they try to change society and mankind's perceptions in art, they try to do the same in the Dreamlands. Even better, the surrealists discover that they can influence the Dreamlands to a degree. Surely that will all end well.

The suggested campaign is for the players to take the roles of actual surrealists, because their lives are way weirder than most PCs.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
And if I remember correctly the "Dreamlands" might connect to the dreamlands of other worlds. I believe this was brought up to explain the 'Cats from Saturn' in the CoC main book. I don't recall what author or short story 'Cats from Saturn' were adapted from. Maybe mentioned in Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath? The only thing I recall is that Cats from Saturn are weird, hostile and Earth cats hate them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
speaking of The Dreamlands, I'm sure you guys would find this setting quite interesting Dreamers In The Dark

also the worst aspect to Cthulhutech that's not sexual in nature has to be them writing off the Dreamlands by having it get eaten by some OC Great Old One

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

moths posted:

I'm not down with digital only (e-readers generally give me a headache) and I can't justify $300 on nerd books all at once. It looks like most backers are doing the $50 level and getting extra stuff a la carte, so that'll probably do.

Just for the record on e-readers. If you haven't tried an Amazon Kindle you may want to give it a try. Just the basic one (or paperwhite) not the Kindle Fire. They are incredibly easy on the eyes and have become my reading method of choice (for novels and such).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Did anyone else here sign up for the DG playtest, and if so did they get the materials? I signed up, but I haven't seen them (they were supposed to come out yesterday) and I want to review it for a few days before I run it with a group this weekend.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

LuiCypher posted:

Did anyone else here sign up for the DG playtest, and if so did they get the materials? I signed up, but I haven't seen them (they were supposed to come out yesterday) and I want to review it for a few days before I run it with a group this weekend.

The latest beta of the rules is publicly available (linked on the front page of the DG Kickstarter) here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OogZHpifybUFvdSi9lCpttF50hkiRPGw3J-Efiax-YQ/edit?usp=sharing

Quick start guide here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uen96o0fj9ytswm/Delta%20Green%20RPG%20Quickstart%20Kit.zip?dl=0

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

e: f, b

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 4, 2018

JWFIV
Apr 8, 2009
So, since this thread is about Lovecraft based RPG and board games, and since Kickstarter projects seem to be a viable conversation topic...

In March of 2013, I accepted an open invitation put out to anyone in the DFW area that was interested in Cthulhu board games to come and try a new game that was in the final design stages. I went to the designer's home and played the fantastic game he'd created with his family and was told to watch for the Kickstarter later on that year. The house I visited and played at was Sandy Petersen's, and his Cthulhu Wars board game broke records on Kickstarter in July of that year and is still considered one of the most successful board games backed on that site. He currently has a second round of Cthulhu Wars content available on Kickstarter which can include almost all of the original game content from the first project (depending on your pledge).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-wars-onslaught-two/description

The cost is pretty high for any completionists out there (I'm only in for about $500 total at this point), but the content on this game is staggering in both quality and quantity. There are currently 7 days left on this Kickstarter for anyone who's interested in it.

JWFIV fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 11, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have any advice on running Horror on the Orient Express? I'm running it in 7th edition with a group of 5 people.

I've found some good materials for it and the current boxset is pretty good at laying things out, more so than the original, so I'm not too worried but any tips or experience would be welcome.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 12, 2015

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Otisburg posted:

The biggest problem I'm having drawing the two threads together is: How is GRU-SV8/The Russians just acting on it now, after 30 years?
It's plausible they knew the approximate landing zone but kept it quiet for Cold War reasons, but why suddenly realize there's an alien and potential artifacts to recover right now?

The only strong explanation that immediately comes to my mind is a mole in DG tipping them off. Which definitely brings up future plot hooks, but I'm wondering if I'm missing other options.

From the looks of it, there seems to be no reason GRU SV-8 should be involved in 1985, since there's no obvious signs of occult or alien involvement. Perhaps the alien involvement was only discovered when Putin started throwing funds at GRU SV-8 and the suddenly much larger staff started trawling records for intelligence they could use. They know that the US doesn't know about the crash since no US administration has ever contacted them about the capsule, so they think it's safe to go fetch it.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Does anyone have any advice on running Horror on the Orient Express? I'm running it in 7th edition with a group of 5 people.

I've found some good materials for it and the current boxset is pretty good at laying things out, more so than the original, so I'm not too worried but any tips or experience would be welcome.

I would recommend listening to a few live play podcasts. You can hear how others did it and it might help you out.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Skype of Cthulhu has an Actual Play series on the Orient Express.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Skype of Cthulhu has an Actual Play series on the Orient Express.

I'm actually listening to that one right now. I listen to a lot of podcasts at work, the benefits of being an editor, so it helps me maximize my planning time.

I found a somewhat outdated webpage http://www.reeslay.co.uk/mike/rpg/coc/HOTOE/index.html that has some advice about running the original version of the game, which is helpful.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go into the Dreamlands stuff. I probably won't go into the older setting side stories due to time constraints.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So I ran The Star Chamber this weekend as part of the Delta Green playtest.

Spoilers below:

For my group, the transition to scene one to scene two was a bit jarring, and that could probably use some more explanation for the GM. Granted, I'm relatively amateur as a GM (this was my third time) but it still seemed a little unclear. Nevertheless it is definitely NOT for people who like to play min-maxed munchkins with little roleplaying - this scenario is super-heavy on the role-playing and is very reliant on your players driving conflict.

Overall, I was really pleased with some of the flexibility of the scenario and some of the guidance given to the GM. I decided to make one of the NPCs a Chaucha sympathizer just because it was a lot more interesting to have the PCs back the wrong horse. It ended up working out really well anyway since one of the PCs (Roger) not only went temporarily insane, but also passed a breaking point and allowed me to give them megalomania. My players thought that Task Force T.I. was almost hilariously inept, made all the better by the fact that they played them that way. They really enjoyed the cards telling them how to act differently in each other's stories, and they really appreciated that these different portrayals actually had in-game consequences.

I was really surprised that in the end, my players picked Rachel as the Chaucha sympathizer, though they were definitely leaning towards Ramona and possibly just liquidating the whole team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Weird question - any recommendations for a pulp-y CoC scenario that's a good entry for new players but also features at least one 'traditional' Great Old One? I have a dumb idea and it needs something with a bit of action that's still in the classic vein. Dreamlands might work as well?

(Also I need to murder some players to give them a good CoC experience)

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 17, 2015