Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

artsy fartsy posted:

lol are you seriously saying that you won't read a classic because you think it's for children?

I mean it's cool if you're not into Jane Austen, but you just got through explaining how you read trashy zombie fiction

He meant he didn't have to because he wasn't assigned to read it in a class, don't jump to conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He meant he didn't have to because he wasn't assigned to read it in a class, don't jump to conclusions.

But that's like the first step of a good derail

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is literally just the public domain text of Pride and Prejudice with a few chapters of zombie fanfiction (and also ~ninjas~ :iamafag:) awkwardly inserted into it, calling it a book is too generous. It's a novelty item, a manufactured product made by mashing up random internet memes and public domain texts in the name of making something with a title and cover that people on the internet would buy to show off how wacky they are.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sleeveless posted:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is literally just the public domain text of Pride and Prejudice with a few chapters of zombie fanfiction (and also ~ninjas~ :iamafag:) awkwardly inserted into it, calling it a book is too generous. It's a novelty item, a manufactured product made by mashing up random internet memes and public domain texts in the name of making something with a title and cover that people on the internet would buy to show off how wacky they are.

It also lacks the alliteration of sense and sensibility and seamonsters. It really should have been pride and prejudice and poltergeists.

Which I suppose is just wuthering heights

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
While we're at it, I'd like to present Wuthering Heights as the Worst Book. The only book, to date that I fell asleep reading, and the only book where I needed Sparknotes for a school assignment (I finished it later out if stubborn pride, but there was no part of that book that I liked) it's about a bunch of horrible people who are bad for each other in the middle of goddamn nowhere and the happy ending is incest. Tada!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I only read literature for adults, like manga.

There we go

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

YggiDee posted:

While we're at it, I'd like to present Wuthering Heights as the Worst Book. The only book, to date that I fell asleep reading, and the only book where I needed Sparknotes for a school assignment (I finished it later out if stubborn pride, but there was no part of that book that I liked) it's about a bunch of horrible people who are bad for each other in the middle of goddamn nowhere and the happy ending is incest. Tada!

Okay guys, this is the post you thought that other post was.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Gogo Logo posted:

This is from like a week ago but I came to post the Black Jewels Trilogy. I read it as a teen on a friend's recommendation and it's one of those books you get kind of swept up in, but then when I went to reread it about four months later, I couldn't make it through the first chapter. It was so indescribably awful. It's terrible Mary Sue fiction about this little girl absolutely everyone falls in love with, including the aforementioned Sadist, who is supposed to be supremely beautiful and all that good stuff.

What makes it even better is that Anne Bishop hates fanfiction so nothing really even exists to propagate the popularity of this tome of poo poo. Well done.

Resurrecting the topic of this terrible book series to add a few more notes:

The Sadist is 1,700 years old and is a "pleasure slave" ie a fucktoy that gets passed around from owner to owner. Also he has never had an erection. The first time he meets the Mary Sue hero character she's like 12 and just came back from an insane asylum/secret sex abuse place and she's like clearly been starved and tortured and poo poo. But the first time he sees her he's so attracted to her on a ~*~psychic~*~ level he bolts from the room and has to make sure he hasn't actually popped a boner for the first time at the sight of this preteen girl.

Also he only meets her because he's there to be her grandma's fucktoy

I've read everything from the series. Someday I'm going to do a write-up of everything hosed up and weird and wrong with it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

coronatae posted:

The Sadist is 1,700 years old and is a "pleasure slave" ie a fucktoy that gets passed around from owner to owner. Also he has never had an erection. The first time he meets the Mary Sue hero character she's like 12 and just came back from an insane asylum/secret sex abuse place and she's like clearly been starved and tortured and poo poo. But the first time he sees her he's so attracted to her on a ~*~psychic~*~ level he bolts from the room and has to make sure he hasn't actually popped a boner for the first time at the sight of this preteen girl.

I've read everything from the series. Someday I'm going to do a write-up of everything hosed up and weird and wrong with it.

:froggonk::respek::stonk:

Please

Please don't

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

coronatae posted:

Then at the end of the chapter he looks up from his the granny dominatrix shrugs and says "its a living."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ready player one is a poopshit book by a man who thinks references double as comemntary and depth, and armada is even worse. those are terrible books.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Literally The Worst posted:

ready player one is a poopshit book by a man who thinks references double as comemntary and depth, and armada is even worse. those are terrible books.

Water is wet, and fire is hot.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Cell is not just cringeworthy and aimless, with awkward dialog in some places that editors really should have caught, it's plain badly written. The middle part is all these very short chapters each ending with a - groan - witty statement, Stephen King has never written garbage like this before, he used to be too self-aware and actually witty to write poo poo like this. What the gently caress happened, do his editors edit, or do they just make sure he didn't turn in a literal grocery list?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

coronatae posted:

There's a Livejournal called das_sporking where they do that for everything from crappy fanfiction to published series. The admin spent six years breaking down Twilight including the films, supplementary materials, even Meyer's significant interviews. At the end of the whole thing admin talked about bring unable to completely enjoy the media she likes because she'll start academically critiquing it and miss out on the experience itself.

So I guess what I'm saying is please write this up so your suffering is my enjoyment because I love literary trainwrecks.

vvv :barf: oh lord no thanks forget I said anything (what is WRONG with the writer?!?)

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Oct 17, 2015

Gogo Logo
Nov 11, 2008

coronatae posted:

gently caress. Now I remember this. Didn't they also have some sort of contraption where his brother would be loving like an ottoman or something while going down on his mistress? Oh, and female genital mutilation was a thing too, right? They called it "shaving". WHY are these things still in my brain?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

That was the gist of it, his brother was forced to take orgasm-inhibiting aphrodisiacs so a bunch of ladies could have their way with him, then his owner had a big marble thing with various orifices set up so he could gently caress that while going down on her. He went berserk and bit off her clit, which they described as "shaving" her, but that was the only instance where the term referred to female genital mutilation. The rest of the time it means deliberate removal of a man's genitals, sometimes done as an entertainment for the villains of the book.

Reading these in high school probably hosed me up haha

E: and I agree with what someone else said about these books-- they have a way of sweeping you up so until you take a step back it's hard to realize just how hosed up everything is.

coronatae has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Oct 17, 2015

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Every post about this goddamn thing has made me cringe involuntarily. No fantasy book should ever involve genital mutilation unless you're loving Margaret Atwood.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Peter Watts is generally really good and he even puts his books online for free after he's made "enough money" I guess?: http://www.rifters.com

Anyway the third book of the Starfish/Maelstrom/Behemoth trilogy has these awful intensely explicit chapters about a sexual sadist. Luckily they're all named "Portrait of the Sadist as [some age]" and you can easily skip them.

For some reason, sci-fi authors tend to be really into writing out their sexual hangups.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Practical Demon posted:

Every post about this goddamn thing has made me cringe involuntarily. No fantasy book should ever involve genital mutilation unless you're loving Margaret Atwood.

Is this, like, a thing with Margaret Atwood? I've only read The Handmaid's Tale of hers, which I thought was reasonably non-crazy sexually for being a book largely about sex slavery, but I'm about 80 pages into The Heart Goes Last now and not sure what to make of the fact that this dystopian SF novel has turned into a batshit insane sex farce.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think Demon is saying that unless you write at least as well as Atwood, don't put genital mutilation in your book.

Handmaid's Tale is really good, also Oryx and Crake. The sequels to the latter annoyed me a little because the world became too small. It was like every named character had had 2-3 run-ins with as many other named characters.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I think Demon is saying that unless you write at least as well as Atwood, don't put genital mutilation in your book.

Handmaid's Tale is really good, also Oryx and Crake. The sequels to the latter annoyed me a little because the world became too small. It was like every named character had had 2-3 run-ins with as many other named characters.

Right. Atwood knows how to write and has socially conscious points to make. Most everyone else in fantasy tackling weird sex stuff is just writing out their hosed up fantasies no one wants to read.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Peter Watts is generally really good and he even puts his books online for free after he's made "enough money" I guess?: http://www.rifters.com

Anyway the third book of the Starfish/Maelstrom/Behemoth trilogy has these awful intensely explicit chapters about a sexual sadist. Luckily they're all named "Portrait of the Sadist as [some age]" and you can easily skip them.

For some reason, sci-fi authors tend to be really into writing out their sexual hangups.

I was going to say weird poo poo about sexual sadist rapists was A Thing amongst neuroreductionist SF writers, but then I remembered several fantasy books I've read and decided it was more of A Thing amongst people who write grim-rear end nerdfiction.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just tried reading Netherwood by Michele Lang and the first chapter was definitely so bad it's good, but unfortunately the second chapter was just dumb and boring, so I gave up. That first chapter is pretty amazing though.

quote:

I hid a smile as I strode forward, feeling the glint of the hot cybersunlight on my bare scalp, along my long, muscle-packed thighs. The last time I'd come here, I'd been in search of a connection; this time, I hunted an outlaw. I'm a sheriff, Talia Fortune by name, and tracking down and deactivating lawbreakers is my job.

The Amphitheatre was a locale, an entrance to a virtual sub-plane of existence that people called different names, a reality whose very ambiguity was one of its charms: the Netherwood

The Netherwood started out as an ordinary virtual landscape, founded by a gaming guru, Geoff Provocateur, about twenty years before I entered the Amphitheatre as the warrior queen Amazonia. But the Netherwood unraveled [sic] pretty quickly, with gambling, cybersex, synthtrading, hacking, and computer sabotage becoming the entertainments of choice. Under the cover of the "games" - the virtual arena matches - in the Amphitheatre, illegal and dastardly acts were committed on a regular basis. And crime was my drug. I was sworn to smell it out and obliterate it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Someone just posted this book and its description to my Facebook feed and I thought the thread would appreciate it

the plot summary of The Haunted Vagina posted:

It's difficult to love a woman whose vagina is a gateway to the world of the dead...

Steve is madly in love with his eccentric girlfriend, Stacy. Unfortunately, their sex life has been suffering as of late, because Steve is worried about the odd noises that have been coming from Stacy's pubic region. She says that her vagina is haunted. She doesn't think it's that big of a deal. Steve, on the other hand, completely disagrees.

When a living corpse climbs out of her during an awkward night of sex, Stacy learns that her vagina is actually a doorway to another world. She persuades Steve to climb inside of her to explore this strange new place. But once inside, Steve finds it difficult to return... especially once he meets an oddly attractive woman named Fig, who lives within the lonely haunted world between Stacy's legs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tiggum posted:

I just tried reading Netherwood by Michele Lang and the first chapter was definitely so bad it's good, but unfortunately the second chapter was just dumb and boring, so I gave up. That first chapter is pretty amazing though.

I like that the badass self-insert has an even more badass online persona.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
gently caress amazon not working with image insertion

Look up the novelization of good burger

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Someone just posted this book and its description to my Facebook feed and I thought the thread would appreciate it

In reality Bizarro fiction is the definition of ironic writing. They write poo poo to be so bad it's good. Besides Sam Pink, because Sam Pink's books just... I don't know, they're good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I like that the badass self-insert has an even more badass online persona.

I like that the name of the book is a pretty good euphemism for "boner" and the author apparently just didn't notice

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

YggiDee posted:

The only book, to date that I fell asleep reading

How? I fall asleep to books on a weekly basis. Even really good books. Do you not read a lot or are you some super-human non-dozer.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What a strange argument to start

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What a strange argument to start

Not meaning to start poo poo. It's just weird to me. Everyone I know (or at least have talked about the issue with) has fallen asleep reading often.

E: To add actual content: There Is No Year by Blake Butler. I couldn't get past the intentionally terse sentences that (I'm guessing) serve some thematic purpose or are at least somehow justified, but to me it's just such tired, pretentious writing. It seemed like such a wank from the get-go that I gave up before the end of the first chapter. I have precious little time left to read and I can't waste it on any old poo poo. Also, Butler is the editor of HTML Giant, so I think I made the right call.

Jerome Agricola has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Oct 30, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerome Agricola posted:

Not meaning to start poo poo. It's just weird to me. Everyone I know (or at least have talked about the issue with) has fallen asleep reading often.

NOT arguing, but I have a force myself to *stop* reading or I will stay up all night.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerome Agricola posted:

How? I fall asleep to books on a weekly basis. Even really good books. Do you not read a lot or are you some super-human non-dozer.

Before I was tired enough to just fall asleep like that, I'd be too tired to concentrate on the book.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Jerome Agricola posted:

I read a lot but I don't fall asleep while reading. Reading is how I stay awake.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Before I was tired enough to just fall asleep like that, I'd be too tired to concentrate on the book.

Right. Who falls asleep with a book on their face, like some sort of Saturday morning comic?

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

ElGroucho posted:

Right. Who falls asleep with a book on their face, like some sort of Saturday morning comic?

Yo.

Except I wake up when the book hits my face.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jerome Agricola posted:

Yo.

That's... probably a sign you don't have the healthiest sleeping habits. Having the capacity to realize when you're about to fall asleep so you can put your book down and get into a comfortable sleeping position is not a superhuman ability.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Jerome Agricola posted:

Yo.

I nod off with my finger on the right arrow and suddenly I'm a hundred pages ahead of where I was.

It's like getting to experience blackouts again!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I might catch some flak for this, but I could not stand Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It feels like it desperately needs an editor to clean up all the twee prose tics and it also just needs to get to the loving point. There's only so much "rich people attend parties with other rich people who they do not like but are icily polite to" I can take before I give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A bunch of my awful friends gushed endlessly about it, I borrowed a copy and powered through about 300 pages and they had still not introduced the second protagonist.

The TV show is a bit better, if only because they're restricted by a small number of episodes. Still a bit overlong.