Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

tithin posted:

Hopefully they earmark another hundred grand to fire him out of a cannon and into the sun.

I know they usually cremate the fetuses but that's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

MaliciousOnion posted:

I know they usually cremate the fetuses but that's ridiculous.

Nice. Very nice.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Offshore detention costs 1.2 billion dollars but it is money well spent
- most Australians

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Well what else are we going to do? I'm sure the government knows best.
- most Australians

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's really quite fascinating how conventional wisdom says ordinary Australians distrust and dislike politicians, yet if something is bipartisan there will not be a peep of protest or even discussion about it amongst 90% of the electorate

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

It's really quite fascinating how conventional wisdom says ordinary Australians distrust and dislike politicians, yet if something is bipartisan there will not be a peep of protest or even discussion about it amongst 90% of the electorate

Australians fundamentally fail to understand that two wrongs don't make a right.

"If both packs of lying, self serving arseholes agree on it, it must be good!"

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

hooman posted:

Australians fundamentally fail to understand that two wrongs don't make a right.

"If both packs of lying, self serving arseholes agree on it, it must be good!"

They're just taking thier English Grammar lessons to heart.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Every government that has attempted to go against the grain of the Australian public's xenophobia has paid for it politically.

Kevin Rudd shut down offshore processing and look where it got him, a speedy uturn to 'if you come by boat you won't settle in Australia' wasnt enough to save him even though in hindsight that's what stopped the boats

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Negligent posted:

Every government that has attempted to go against the grain of the Australian public's xenophobia has paid for it politically.

Kevin Rudd shut down offshore processing and look where it got him, a speedy uturn to 'if you come by boat you won't settle in Australia' wasnt enough to save him even though in hindsight that's what stopped the boats

There's no proof the boats stopped, influx. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

freebooter posted:

There's really a huge range of views on the matter, including a sizeable chunk that think the current policy is far too lenient.

The current position isn't something everyone wants, it's something enough people will tolerate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Annabel Crabb is looking for good meals and some decent answers in the fifth series of Kitchen Cabinet.
Annabel visits Scott Morrison, who has prepared Sri Lankan fish curry, chapattis and samosas - or 'ScoMosas', as his staff hilariously call them.

:barf:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

No evidence you say

9.11 was an inside job and the Apollo landings were faked

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1516/Quick_Guides/BoatTurnbacks

Jintor
May 19, 2014

man dutton and the nauraan government are firing with all cannons right now hey

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

2014–15: figures compiled from ministerial and departmental press releases. Arrivals include: 157 people on board a boat originating from an Indian port and intercepted on 27 July 2014 —the passengers were subsequently transferred to Curtin Detention Centre and then to Nauru for processing (this boat was counted as an arrival, but 41 people on board another boat intercepted at the same time were returned to Sri Lankan authorities at sea); and 1 Sri Lankan national on board a boat intercepted on 15 November 2014 who was referred for refugee determination and transferred to Manus Island for processing (the 37 other passengers were transferred at sea to Sri Lankan authorities and the boat was not counted as an ‘arrival’). Unauthorised maritime arrivals from cruise ships are not included in these statistics.

They compiled figures from a department who refuses to release figures.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Solemn Sloth posted:

2014–15: figures compiled from ministerial and departmental press releases. Arrivals include: 157 people on board a boat originating from an Indian port and intercepted on 27 July 2014 —the passengers were subsequently transferred to Curtin Detention Centre and then to Nauru for processing (this boat was counted as an arrival, but 41 people on board another boat intercepted at the same time were returned to Sri Lankan authorities at sea); and 1 Sri Lankan national on board a boat intercepted on 15 November 2014 who was referred for refugee determination and transferred to Manus Island for processing (the 37 other passengers were transferred at sea to Sri Lankan authorities and the boat was not counted as an ‘arrival’). Unauthorised maritime arrivals from cruise ships are not included in these statistics.

They compiled figures from a department who refuses to release figures.

Dammit you beat me to it.

I wonder why the numbers are so low considering the report literally says that the numbers are from published reports and that they totally trust the tiny snippets they've gotten about the rest of the time apropos of nothing.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If you want to argue that border fart is keeping a secret flotilla of boat arrivals under wraps then go ahead.

This is an organisation that can't even keep their own track changes word docs on the d.l., so good luck with that.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I've got my numbers straight from Goebbels press statements so you can continue with your conspiracy theories about mass extermination and hollow worldism if you want

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iajanus posted:

Dammit you beat me to it.

I wonder why the numbers are so low considering the report literally says that the numbers are from published reports and that they totally trust the tiny snippets they've gotten about the rest of the time apropos of nothing.

Probably because, like the one in July this year, they turn them around and push them back out of our waters.
Those don't get counted as arrivals and they're kept hidden from the public so we have no way of knowing how many of them there are.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Probably because, like the one in July this year, they turn them around and push them back out of our waters.
Those don't get counted as arrivals and they're kept hidden from the public so we have no way of knowing how many of them there are.

My sarcasm was apparently a little too subtle, but well explained nonetheless.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Well if the point is that border fart are bad at transparency that is a valid point

A semantic debate about whether the boats have stopped - reduced to literally zero- is dumb but what do you expect from a mentally deficient gently caress like muyb

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Negligent posted:

If you want to argue that border fart is keeping a secret flotilla of boat arrivals under wraps then go ahead.

This is an organisation that can't even keep their own track changes word docs on the d.l., so good luck with that.

If you want to argue that scott morrison, tony abbott and peter dutton wouldn't have gotten "0 boats" tattooed on their dicks and waved them at the press gallery if they could then go ahead.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you want to argue that scott morrison, tony abbott and peter dutton wouldn't have gotten "0 boats" tattooed on their dicks and waved them at the press gallery if they could then go ahead.

Thanks for reiterating what an utter cretin you are

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Negligent posted:

Well if the point is that border fart are bad at transparency that is a valid point

A semantic debate about whether the boats have stopped - reduced to literally zero- is dumb but what do you expect from a mentally deficient gently caress like muyb

It's not a semantic debate about the nature of zero. It is about the fact that the department has a policy of not releasing data about boat arrivals.

You for some reason choose to believe that this is because there have been no arrivals, despite the fact that every member of the liberal party would sell their asses to be able to give out regular press briefings saying that there were zero arrivals.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's not a semantic debate about the nature of zero. It is about the fact that the department has a policy of not releasing data about boat arrivals.

You for some reason choose to believe that this is because there have been no arrivals, despite the fact that every member of the liberal party would sell their asses to be able to give out regular press briefings saying that there were zero arrivals.

Keep doubling down buddy

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The liberal party didn't go one single day in opposition without talking about the number of boats that arrive.
The liberal party as part of their election platform promise to reduce the number of boats to zero.
The liberal party upon being elected institute a platform of never confirming the number of people to arrive by boat.

Only someone as dumb as you would use these facts to conclude that the boats have successfully been stopped.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iajanus posted:

My sarcasm was apparently a little too subtle, but well explained nonetheless.

Sorry, in my defence I was reading Negligent's posts

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

SynthOrange posted:

Annabel Crabb is looking for good meals and some decent answers in the fifth series of Kitchen Cabinet.
Annabel visits Scott Morrison, who has prepared Sri Lankan fish curry, chapattis and samosas - or 'ScoMosas', as his staff hilariously call them.

:barf:

A great segue to discuss the Sri Lankan war crimes that Morrison and the Abbott government were complicit in. I'm sure Annabel Crabb won't miss this opportunity.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I uhh..

http://winstonclose.me/2015/10/28/bill-shorten-to-resign-as-labor-leader-written-by-the-red-and-blue-org/

LABOR “LEADER” Bill Shorten is set to resign his post, and possibly from Parliament, next month; with the ALP now recording poll numbers commensurate with his abysmal performance and set to be hit by fallout from the Royal Commission into the unions, Shorten’s departure will terminate a shameful era for Labor. The move raises questions around timing, and of who will replace him to face a snap double dissolution in December or early 2016.

We generally do not break news in this column — mainly because I simply don’t have the resources at present to operate as a journalist on a fulltime basis — but this morning is an exception, and whilst we will relay the news in the conversational discussion style readers are familiar with, the details are very much an early break on a developing story.

Usually reliable sources report that the ALP is preparing for the imminent resignation of its “leader,” Bill Shorten, during one of the two parliamentary sessions scheduled for November.

The development comes in the wake of the leadership change at the Liberal Party, with new Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull now outscoring Shorten in some polls as “preferred Prime Minister” by a four-to-one margin, and ahead of the likely release of the final report by the Royal Commission into union corruption and misconduct in either November or December.

It is unclear at this stage whether Shorten intends to recontest his seat of Maribyrnong, in Melbourne’s inner north-west, at the looming federal election, although this column understands there is a distinct possibility he will resign from Parliament altogether.

News of Shorten’s intention to vacate the Labor leadership comes as the ALP’s opinion poll numbers have collapsed on trend beyond the woeful 33.4% primary vote it scored at the 2013 election under Kevin Rudd, and we understand just one further round of shocking polling could be decisive in determining Shorten’s position.

It is understood that rather than face a leadership challenge in the ALP caucus, Shorten will stand aside voluntarily.

The prospect of Shorten’s imminent departure as Labor “leader” comes as little surprise; the motivation for it, however, and the identity of his replacement remain matters for conjecture at present.

Already adversely named in testimony before the Royal Commission, it is possible Shorten — irrespective of whether charges are recommended against him — may elect to vacate the Labor leadership to provide a fresh start for a new leader, freed of the lingering malodorous effects of the dirty union linen that has been aired.

It is not known whether Shorten has advance knowledge of any possible action to be recommended against him and/or his associates from his past career as a union official, or whether such a consideration has motivated his mooted resignation, and this column makes no suggestion or implication to that effect.

Either way, it is understood that a replacement Labor leader will be chosen with a single candidate nominating for the post, avoiding the need for a messy, protracted and potentially divisive campaign lasting weeks or months, and avoiding the risk of a snap election being called whilst the ALP is — quite literally — leaderless.

It is unclear at this point who the new Labor leader is to be: however, factional considerations dictate that the Left cannot simultaneously hold both the leadership and the deputy leadership (ruling out a ticket comprising Anthony Albanese and Tanya Plibersek); Chris Bowen is known to want to wait longer before contesting a leadership ballot, meaning he is likely to run as deputy to either Albanese or to Plibersek.

This column understands that as soon as Shorten announces his resignation, preparations to engineer a double dissolution election that are currently afoot in Liberal Party circles will be activated; the timing of the election will to a large degree depend on the timing of Shorten’s departure as Labor “leader.”

The last practicable date on which to hold an election this year is Saturday 19 December, and for constitutional reasons, such an election would need to be called on or before Tuesday 17 November.

Federal Parliament is due to sit twice in November: from the 9th to the 12th, and again from the 23rd until 3 December: clearly, unless Shorten’s resignation occurs before or during the first of those sitting weeks, any election will be delayed until the new year.

Should that occur, it is understood a polling date in late February or early March is under active consideration.

This timeframe — and the need to be ready, should Shorten pull the pin sooner rather than later — places an obligation on the government to reintroduce whichever of its stalled bills is necessary to the Senate, with great urgency, to provide desired double dissolution triggers that can then be passed at a joint sitting: the Registered Organisations Bill, which if passed will enforce the same regulations and standards of governance upon the union movement as the business community is already subjected to, being chief among them.

But on the other hand, an election at the end of this year or early next carries the prospect of substantial adverse findings against union and ALP figures providing a backdrop to the campaign, against which the ALP will struggle to present a palatable or credible offering to voters.

By way of commentary, I offer that Shorten has been a poor “leader:” this column has consistently refused to acknowledge him without qualification as the leader of his party, when even Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd were thus acknowledged.

Bill Shorten — lampooned in this column as “Billy Bullshit,” with good reason — isn’t a leader’s bootlace.

Shorten’s tenure as Labor “leader” represents a shameful period in ALP history, driven as it has been by blatant attempts to stoke class warfare and envy among Australians, punctuated by mindlessly obstructionist Senate tactics in cohort with the Communist Party Greens and a willing crossbench composed mostly of supposed conservative independents and minor parties, and publicly articulated in fundamentally dishonest terms that have lowered the bar for standards of political decency in this country and unforgivably assumed of voters the lack of intelligence or perception to see through the contemptible tactics on show.

A self-acknowledged liar who has admitted to deceptive and untrustworthy conduct among his colleagues is unfit to hold the leadership of his party, let alone the great office of Prime Minister, and Shorten — in the absence of Tony Abbott, whom Labor personally demonised and defamed for years — is regarded in reputable opinion polling by voters with the contempt he deserves now he has been judged solely on his own merits in the absence of the frenzy his party whipped up around Abbott.

If Labor is smart, it will replace Shorten with Plibersek and give her two attempts to win for the ALP; if it is predictable, it will instead anoint Albanese. Both offer tantalising contests against Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull: Albanese representing the product of a not-dissimilar background that evolved in a very different direction, and Plibersek (her gender notwithstanding) being a warrior of the Left on many of the issues Turnbull is noted for championing from the Right.

But either way, the departure of Shorten from senior political life will be no loss whatsoever to this country, and in the big scheme of things won’t matter a tin of beans.

Shorten isn’t even yesterday’s man, unless your preference yesterday was for a lying, scheming, manipulative union thug with a penchant for burying axes between the shoulder blades of those supposedly closest to him.

The prospect of Shorten as Prime Minister should horrify even those most apathetic about politics; the emphasis of the ALP in stoking envy, hatred of success and war between classes on his watch has placed a great stain on that party, and Shorten’s tenure at its helm will come to be viewed by Labor people as a matter of deep embarrassment that dishonoured it.

Nobody will miss Shorten when he is gone. This column is waiting, eagerly, for the anointed day to arrive.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'll believe it when I see it, rather than reading it on a random blog.

quote:

Shorten’s tenure as Labor “leader” represents a shameful period in ALP history, driven as it has been by blatant attempts to stoke class warfare and envy among Australians, punctuated by mindlessly obstructionist Senate tactics in cohort with the Communist Party Greens and a willing crossbench composed mostly of supposed conservative independents and minor parties, and publicly articulated in fundamentally dishonest terms that have lowered the bar for standards of political decency in this country and unforgivably assumed of voters the lack of intelligence or perception to see through the contemptible tactics on show.

:holymoley:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
'Stoke class warfare' like when the poignant consequence of binning penalty rates was not being able to send your kids to private school? :rolleyes:

Edit: I guess ignoring the working poor who stand to actually lose vastly more could be considered class warfare

Magog fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 28, 2015

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I do wish that disgruntled screed backed up its claim with slightly more than vague references to reliable sources.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Paul Murray had a huge whining op-ed in the West today because someone in a senate estimates hearing used the word segue and he didn't know what it meant.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mithranderp posted:

Lol ABC, "What would you say is the approximate value of all property owned or mortgaged by you?"

the options start at $250k; I'd be surprised if I own $5k worth of stuff.

Doesn't seem to matter that much, I had less then $250K (as in $0) and managed to go from established working to to emerging affluent just by changing the who I know section (forgot about a group of friends I hang out with who will be first against the wall apparently.)

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I do wish that disgruntled screed backed up its claim with slightly more than vague references to reliable sources.

Hey, I have a reliable source who told me that reliable sources are alway utterly reliable. :colbert:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Warning: The following image presents an elevated risk of elevated kittens. Viewer discretion is advised.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Murodese posted:

Paul Murray had a huge whining op-ed in the West today because someone in a senate estimates hearing used the word segue and he didn't know what it meant.

My brothers a lawyer and only figured recently that segue is pronounced segway - like he read it heaps, but never really put it and the word you hear together. I think it was a podcast with Leigh Sales that made him twig.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
I listen to ABC RN at work, and recently I've started hearing these god-awful advertising spots for a First Dog radio show.

He won't be satisfied until he's conquered all our senses!

(gently caress First Dog.)

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Crescendo posted:

I listen to ABC RN at work, and recently I've started hearing these god-awful advertising spots for a First Dog radio show.

He won't be satisfied until he's conquered all our senses!

(gently caress First Dog.)

Go home Chris Kenny, you're drunk

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bitches better watch out CK is on the prowl

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

How stupid would a person have to be to believe the lnp have actually "stopped the boats"

E: lmfap

quote:

Australian government officials may have engaged in people smuggling, by allegedly paying the crew of an asylum seeker boat to return its passengers to Indonesia, an Amnesty International investigation has found.

In May this year, the 65 passengers and six crew of an asylum seeker boat bound for New Zealand said they were intercepted by an Australian naval ship and an Australian Border Force vessel in international waters.

Australian government officials on board reportedly paid the crew of the vessel $32,000 – in US $100 bills – and instructed them to return the asylum seekers to Indonesia, directing them to Rote Island.

After interviewing all 65 passengers who were on board the ship, as well as the six crew and Indonesian officials, the Amnesty report press release concluded “all of the available evidence points to Australian officials having committed a transnational crime”.

On Thursday the immigration minister Peter Dutton said the government had already rejected the report’s allegations.

“To suggest otherwise, as Amnesty has done, is to cast a slur on the men and women of the Australian Border Force and Australian Defence Force.”

Anna Shea, a researcher on refugee and migrant rights with Amnesty UK, said evidence showed government officials were allegedly paying a boat crew, providing fuel and materiel, and giving instructions on where the boat should be sailed.

“People smuggling is a crime usually associated with private individuals, not governments – but here we have allegations that Australian officials are not just involved, but directing operations.

When it comes to its treatment of those seeking asylum, Australia is becoming a lawless state

Anna Shea, Amnesty researcher
“When it comes to its treatment of those seeking asylum, Australia is becoming a lawless state.”

Australian officials reportedly intercepted the asylum seeker boat twice, on 17 May and 22 May.

Those on board said the ship was well-equipped and that no distress signal was sent at any time. The crew said the boat never entered Australian waters and had enough food and fuel on board to reach New Zealand.

In the second interdiction, the majority of asylum seekers boarded the Australian Border Force ship after allegedly being told they could bathe on board.

Once on board, however, they said they were held in cells for several days, before they were transferred to two smaller boats and instructed to sail for the island of Rote. One boat ran out of fuel, forcing all of its passengers onto the other. That boat foundered on a reef at Landu Island, near Rote, from where locals rescued the passengers.

On the original boat, the six crew claimed Australian officials gave them $32,000 – two of the men received $6,000, four $5,000 – in exchange for the crew agreeing to pilot the boat back to Indonesia.

One asylum seeker told Amnesty he allegedly witnessed a transaction between Australian officials and the ship’s captain in the kitchen of the boat, and saw the captain put a white envelope in his shorts pocket.

Shea told the Guardian the 62 passengers from the vessel were interviewed, as a group, on three separate occasions in Indonesian immigration detention in Kupang in West Timor, where they are currently being held.

The six crew, who are in police custody on Rote Island, were interviewed separately to the passengers.

“What was really remarkable was the degree of correlation and consistency in the testimony of the asylum seekers and the crew, who were held in different locations, and who were not in communication,” Shea said.

Indonesian police have reported they found $32,000 is US $100 bills on the crew. Amnesty researchers photographed the money confiscated.

After initially refusing to comment on the allegations, citing secrecy over “on-water matters”, the Australian government denied making payments to people smugglers, and said Australian officials acted to save life at sea.

Questioned about the allegation, the then prime minister Tony Abbott said: “There’s really only one thing to say here and that is that we have stopped the boats.”

The boat turnback is the subject of a Senate inquiry, due to report in January next year. In its submission, Operation Sovereign Borders’ joint action taskforce stated the asylum seeker vessel was observed “in poor weather conditions, which were rapidly deteriorating”.

“The master of the vessel indicated they were experiencing difficulty and requested assistance. Border Protection Command assets rendered immediate assistance in accordance with our international safety at [sic] life at sea obligations and assisted the safe return of the people to Indonesia,” Major General Andrew Bottrell wrote to the inquiry.

“I believe our actions to assist this vessel were necessary to preserve the safety of life of those on board. The officers on board the Border Protection Command vessels operated in dangerous sea conditions to render assistance to the distressed vessel.”

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has consistently maintained all elements of Operation Sovereign Borders were “conducted consistent with Australian domestic law and Australia’s obligations under international law”.

The Indonesian government has said it believes Australia paid the ship’s crew.

“We asked for clarification and for further information on this issue,” a foreign ministry spokesman, Arrmanatha Nasir, said. “We did not receive this, so in that context we cannot be blamed for believing that there was an illicit payment.”

The Amnesty report also investigated an incident in July where a second payment to crew may have been made.

Asylum seekers on board that boat reported that after being interdicted by Australian vessels and put onto a new boat, the crew were in possession of two new bags, which they were warned repeatedly not to open.

That new boat, piloted by the crew under instruction from Australia, was also returned to Rote.

The Guardian revealed in March Australia has a multimillion-dollar contract with a Vietnamese ship-builder to manufacture fishing boat-style vessels to be used to return asylum seekers to their countries of departure, usually Indonesia or Sri Lanka.

Amnesty argues Australia’s boat turnback policy is a breach of the country’s non-refoulement obligations under the Refugees Convention, which requires Australia not to return a refugee to a place where their life or liberty could be threatened.

In London on Tuesday, Abbott – since deposed as prime minister – said Europe would be fundamentally weakened by the “misguided altruism” of failing to stop the flow of migrants across its borders.

“The imperative to ‘love your neighbour as you love yourself’ is at the heart of every Western polity ... it’s what makes us decent and humane countries as well as prosperous ones. But – right now – this wholesome instinct is leading much of Europe into catastrophic error.”

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

katlington posted:

How stupid would a person have to be to believe the lnp have actually "stopped the boats"

E: lmfap

To answer my own question, pretty loving stupid. :d:D

• Locked thread