Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Wafflecopper posted:

Just tried elf for the first time and my team votekicked me after. :smith: I have no idea what I did wrong, I felt like I killed a bunch of rats and generally carried my weight. None of them said a word the entire time. I found I ran out of ammo really quickly and spent a lot of time stabbing stuff but I ended up getting a similar number of kills to everyone else and we finished the mission just fine so idgi :shrug: Did I do something wrong, or did I just run into a bunch of passive-aggressive shitlords or both?

They were probably on Mumble/TS whatever and just kicked you to get a friend in. It's nothing personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Ulvirich posted:

Attempted a normal Wheat and Chaff with a all goon group that I'm used to grouping with.

One bag into the wagon and here comes a rat ogre and a clanrat swarm. Rogre tunnel visions the witch hunter full time and does not leave his side. By the time the rogre falls over, there are five stormvermin, a gattling rat, and a unending swarm of clanrats and slaverats gunning for my rear end because I'm the only one alive at that point. :rip:

Fair and balanced.

Between that and the map that ended up with BEEP BOOP NO LOOT, LOSERS, we had a pretty rough start. At least I got a sick orange sword for my butt wizard out of our BP runs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I like the idea of Wheat and Chaff, because it changes the "pile over here until the horn stops" mentality into a running battle where taking damage is less important than going fast.

The execution means that 40% of the time you will die no matter what you do.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Honestly from how I feel all it really needs is a hard limit on how many Stormvermin are rushing you at once, and a bit of a cooldown when you kill the 2-3 that are there before the next set of Stormvermin.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I really enjoy Wheat and Chaff. Bring on the Stormvermin. The only problem I have with it is that it offers the same loot as easier levels, making it not worth doing for gear. Going through all that for a white is bullshit. I hope Fatshark adds significant incentive to play more than like, the two easiest/quickest maps in the game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tying rewards to completion only on variable length/difficulty missions doesn't seem like the brightest idea

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Abandoned Toaster posted:

What difficulty?

Normal and Hard

I literally never rolled more than 2 dice, even though the EV from just the seven poo poo dice is 2.3. Kill me

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 28, 2015

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Ulvirich posted:

Attempted a normal Wheat and Chaff with a all goon group that I'm used to grouping with.

One bag into the wagon and here comes a rat ogre and a clanrat swarm. Rogre tunnel visions the witch hunter full time and does not leave his side. By the time the rogre falls over, there are five stormvermin, a gattling rat, and a unending swarm of clanrats and slaverats gunning for my rear end because I'm the only one alive at that point. :rip:

Fair and balanced.

shoulda trapped the rogre in the cart dealth with everything else then poked him to death.

Wafflecopper posted:

I have no idea what I did wrong,

You have been kicked from the game.

Reason: Elf.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

victrix posted:

Tying rewards to completion only on variable length/difficulty missions doesn't seem like the brightest idea

The Shorter missions don't have Tomes/Grimoires so that's not entirely true, but yeah Garden of Morr is a tough sell if people give a poo poo about loot.

They could do with a system where the less a mission is completed by players the better the rewards it gives. That or just some Dailies with a Guaranteed Blue or Better at the end.

Last night we completed a mission with the Rat Ogre in the cart with us. That was going to be an awkward ride home.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

Between that and the map that ended up with BEEP BOOP NO LOOT, LOSERS

God drat it. We more than earned that loot too, but nope! Get bent.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fans posted:

The Shorter missions don't have Tomes/Grimoires so that's not entirely true, but yeah Garden of Morr is a tough sell if people give a poo poo about loot.

They could do with a system where the less a mission is completed by players the better the rewards it gives. That or just some Dailies with a Guaranteed Blue or Better at the end.
I like the idea of a weighted map system based on player completion. Dailies just means that everyone runs them and then goes back to farming whatever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ulvirich posted:

God drat it. We more than earned that loot too, but nope! Get bent.

This is only happening because you've all been lax in your devotions to Nuffle, lately.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 28, 2015

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I'd enjoy it if it kept a running tally of which levels you've completed of each difficulty and when you've done them all it gives you an extra roll against a table of that tier (or maybe one tier higher) loot and then resets, so people will have interactions like 'oh I've got wheat and chaff and well watchers left and I'll get an extra nightmare roll' rather than just doing Magnus, returning to the inn, doing Magnus.

Not making it straight out more efficient as if someone wants to farm something they will, but it'll encourage an odd map choice every now and then.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I miss playing L4D and Killing Floor a great deal and this looks cool.

How does Vermintide compare to KF2?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Ok, Loot talk. I'm having a strong "Diablo 3's first few patches" vibe, IE: the loot system is going to be fine until the moment you are decked in oranges. When we get there,, the only way to get an improvement is going to be "get the same best in slot item you already have, but with a better enchantment / better percentages". At that point the time spent/reward ratio is going to become stupid, and rolling an upgrade is going to become almost impossible.

Because of that, I believe that everything that delays that phase is good, and I feel like the system should not be changed towards something that gives us the opportunity to choose what we want as a reward directly. Unfortunately, a game with a loot system tricks us into being disappointed if the reward flow changes; so we ca feel like there's no point in playing, even if we would have played the game if the only reward was the challenge itself (IE: L4D).

I also think that, as soon as a critical mass of people reach the "decked in oranges" level, they're going to give more options to improve your items (IE: red items, chance to reroll enchants, morph oranges, etc).

tl;dr: the loot system is fine for now, but it's definitely going to be tweaked when most people are having difficulties in finding rewarding upgrades.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 28, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is only happening because you've all been lax in your devotions to Nuffle, lately.

I play goblins and halflings in FUMBBL.

Nuffle owes me.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Wheeee posted:

I miss playing L4D and Killing Floor a great deal and this looks cool.

How does Vermintide compare to KF2?

Less KF2, more l4d. Janky, but fun.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

That Italian Guy posted:

Ok, Loot talk. I'm having a strong "Diablo 3's first few patches" vibe, IE: the loot system is going to be fine until the moment you are decked in oranges. When we get there,, the only way to get an improvement is going to be "get the same best in slot item you already have, but with a better enchantment / better percentages". At that point the time spent/reward ratio is going to become stupid, and rolling an upgrade is going to become almost impossible.

Because of that, I believe that everything that delays that phase is good, and I feel like the system should not be changed towards something that gives us the opportunity to choose what we want as a reward directly.

I also think that, as soon as a critical mass of people reach the "decked in oranges" level, they're going to give more options to improve your items (IE: red items, chance to reroll enchants, morph oranges, etc).

tl;dr: the loot system is fine for now, but it's definitely going to be tweaked when most people are having difficulties in finding rewarding upgrades.

Yeah its okay as is I just wish I could choose the white I get on hard or higher when I roll nothing,

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

That Italian Guy posted:

Because of that, I believe that everything that delays that phase is good, and I feel like the system should not be changed towards something that gives us the opportunity to choose what we want as a reward directly.

IIRC the devs said one of the first free DLC will have new end-game type items for players. So far the numbers look very good in terms of sales, I think this might be Fatshark's most successful game so we should be able to look forward to lots of additional content and dev attention. The fact that they released a patch so soon after release is also a good sign.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Al Borland posted:

Yeah its okay as is I just wish I could choose the white I get on hard or higher when I roll nothing,

I agree. I also really like the OP's idea about using crafting materials to generate white items, since it gives those who are really "grind oriented" something to aim at (IE: craft a million drakefire pistols to get an orange one and defeat the evil RNG Nuffle!), while providing new starters with more opportunities. Of course, if this feature gets introduced there are going to be people complaining about "Korean level of grind", cause a lot of gamers are unable to play a game just for the fun of it, if there's any kind of reward system. :colbert:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 28, 2015

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just went down the final elevator on a Magnus run, saw no rats in the alley leading to the stagecoach, and then suddenly an enormous horde teleported in all around us, out of thin air, while already mid-swing. Everyone was killed instantly. Like 0.3 seconds from no rats, full health, 100% fine to party wipe. That's cool, Vermintide.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Vargs posted:

Just went down the final elevator on a Magnus run, saw no rats in the alley leading to the stagecoach, and then suddenly an enormous horde teleported in all around us, out of thin air, while already mid-swing. Everyone was killed instantly. Like 0.3 seconds from no rats, full health, 100% fine to party wipe. That's cool, Vermintide.

The End Times are a scary place. Luckily for us, Sigmar will make sure nothing like this will happen again.

Yay Sigmarines :(

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Sometimes there are rats at the bottom of the elevator, just outside of it (even when they're not appearing out of thin air)

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Vargs posted:

Huh this explains the time I was doing nightmare runs and every time the soldier would say 'there may be rats at the bottom so please start swinging' and I of course wrote him off as a loon and it never happened.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Finally get my third orange at level 40. It's a Sword & Shield with extra stamina, stronger push and heroic instakill on charge attacks.

Sigmar has blessed me.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
:dance:

Ohhhh yeah just rolled a legendary handgun for Kruber 50% reload 80-100% penetrate so thats 3 in a row i can kill and reload on kill!

:dance:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Welp, Enemy Below has 4 tomes for some reason, but if you finish with both grims, 4 tomes and 2 loot dice the game crashes.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Where all the lizardmen at?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Where all the lizardmen at?

Space

(I know that doesn't happen until later)

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Where's my sigmarine DLC?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Has there been any statement from Fatshark about the Black Power exploit?

People are going pants on head retarded over it and its becoming harder to find a group that just wants to play the game.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Dezztroy posted:

Finally get my third orange at level 40. It's a Sword & Shield with extra stamina, stronger push and heroic instakill on charge attacks.

Sigmar has blessed me.

Just forged a bloodlust, stam recovered on hit, extra push mace n shield :smug:

whose sigmar's favorite now?

Mikojan posted:

Has there been any statement from Fatshark about the Black Power exploit?

People are going pants on head retarded over it and its becoming harder to find a group that just wants to play the game.

i wouldn't be surprised if they remove the stool thus solving it all in a patch.

Honestly I dont think its a big deal 99% of the time you'll just roll 2-3 dice at most and get a green.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 28, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Al Borland posted:

Too bad mace & shield is objectively inferor to sword & shield. :colbert:

I really don't like the orange shield model though because holy poo poo you're blind when using it

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Al Borland posted:

Honestly I dont think its a big deal 99% of the time you'll just roll 2-3 dice at most and get a green.

I'm not saying its giving people that choose to exploit an unfair advantage. But as long as people will see it as the fastest way to get a chance on good loot they will feel like playing any other map is a waste of time.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

The exploit is so well known now that I hope it will be addressed in tonight's maintenance.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

Welp, Enemy Below has 4 tomes for some reason, but if you finish with both grims, 4 tomes and 2 loot dice the game crashes.

I have finished that before with multiple goons multiple and we only had one multiple-crash today/yesterday at the black powder part. Also it has 3/2. Dunno what you guys encountered.

I do believe that there's a possible crash due to a physics miscalculation on levels with gunpowder placement.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Being 1 roll off from getting an orange handgun is the most crushingly disappointing thing in video games.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Al Borland posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if they remove the stool thus solving it all in a patch.

Man I'd love to get greens. The loot progression is way too luck based if you play the game properly and don't exploit quick item runs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Vargs posted:

Being 1 roll off from getting an orange handgun is the most crushingly disappointing thing in video games.
Being one dice above it and getting a Blunderbuss.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Being one dice above it and getting a blunderbuss hagbane shortbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Musluk posted:

I have finished that before with multiple goons multiple and we only had one multiple-crash today/yesterday at the black powder part. Also it has 3/2. Dunno what you guys encountered.

I do believe that there's a possible crash due to a physics miscalculation on levels with gunpowder placement.

It did count all 4 tomes at the end but crashed when it got to the cursed dice. I still got the loot though. We did it a few more times and the fourth tome was always there.

• Locked thread