Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
So, are the Famicom versions of DQ 1&2 and 3 playable or not? There were some complaints of serious bugs in this thread recently and, having previously heard such good things about those versions, I was tempted to have a go at them. If they still have serious problems, apart from perhaps slightly dodgy translation, then I can always try the iPad versions even though touch controls annoy me or the Game Boy ports even though they are hard to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like, technically playable or playable in a fun sense?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Do you mean the SFC ports?

1&2 is great except for one avoidable bug late in DQ2. Apparently 3's patch has some bugs to it, but I've also heard it's still worth playing. I've been playing the GBC port personally, and that's a great version.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

The Machine posted:

Do you mean the SFC ports?

1&2 is great except for one avoidable bug late in DQ2. Apparently 3's patch has some bugs to it, but I've also heard it's still worth playing. I've been playing the GBC port personally, and that's a great version.

Yes, the SFC ports. What's the bug in DQ2, so that I don't run afoul of it? I do have the GBC carts of 1/2 and 3 as well.

In Training posted:

Like, technically playable or playable in a fun sense?

Technically. Having played the originals within the last year or so, I know that I still enjoy them... even DQ1 for the NES which doesn't have much content and is grindy as gently caress... and DQ2 which is woefully unbalanced and makes me want to kick puppies in frustration.

DQ3 has no major faults that I can recall.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Long story short: When you get to the water city, Beran, don't sleep at the inn.

It launches into a side quest to revive a sick party member, and upon doing so, you get stuck in a dialog loop that's impossible to escape.

Everything else seemed perfectly playable!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I played through the SFC versions about 5 years back and I can't remember any bugs. But the SFC or GBC versions are the way to go if you're going to play them, the NES versions are just an exercise in frustration.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I played through the SFC versions about 5 years back and I can't remember any bugs. But the SFC or GBC versions are the way to go if you're going to play them, the NES versions are just an exercise in frustration.

I agree... partially. DQI isn't so much frustrating as grindy, but II is an absolute hair-pulling torture session right up until the end game. I played III all the way through last year and it was still very good... moderately grindy, yes, but that doesn't bother me much - I used to play EverQuest, for gently caress's sake. I will state that III holds up reasonably well today and the graphics still have a charm to them. I have never played IV on the NES, but one of these days I am going to put in that Game Genie code that turns off party AI and have a go at it.

I'm currently playing a rather low-budget game on the iPad called "Epic Warrior", which is the most shameless DQ1 ripoff you can imagine. I might drop $3 on the real DQ1 at some point and try it. If I finish it, I can try II, then III if I finish that one etc

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I agree... partially. DQI isn't so much frustrating as grindy, but II is an absolute hair-pulling torture session right up until the end game. I played III all the way through last year and it was still very good... moderately grindy, yes, but that doesn't bother me much - I used to play EverQuest, for gently caress's sake. I will state that III holds up reasonably well today and the graphics still have a charm to them. I have never played IV on the NES, but one of these days I am going to put in that Game Genie code that turns off party AI and have a go at it.

I'm currently playing a rather low-budget game on the iPad called "Epic Warrior", which is the most shameless DQ1 ripoff you can imagine. I might drop $3 on the real DQ1 at some point and try it. If I finish it, I can try II, then III if I finish that one etc

Dragon Quest II is an exercise in torture and frustration no matter which version you play to be perfectly honest. Cave to Rhone almost broke me.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
The mobile version of II isn't too bad, honestly. I mean, Rhone is still a pain in the rear end but I felt like I wasn't having as much trouble as I did with the GBC version, plus you can make a quick save at any point in the game.

Also, Zoom was modernized and lets you zoom to most cities in the game. It's a godsend.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Earlier this week I picked up the GB copies of DQ1-3 and a PSX copy of 7. as soon as I'm done with Heroes I am going to start actually playing through the series since I now have all the games 1-9

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mateo360 posted:

Earlier this week I picked up the GB copies of DQ1-3 and a PSX copy of 7. as soon as I'm done with Heroes I am going to start actually playing through the series since I now have all the games 1-9

I embarked on this journey earlier his year and it's quite the ride. Enjoy lots of awesome games (haven't played 7 or 9 yet though so I can't speak to those)

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I honestly didn't find II too hard at all up to the near-end game, honestly. My problem was more that I just had a hard time sticking with it once you get to the point right before Rhone where you're running errands around the world. I didn't find the scenarios at that point to be very compelling compared to the games before and after it. I think Cave to Rhone is where people quit and it colors the rest of the game as a result.

Edit: This is about the GBC version which I don't doubt was made easier.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

Depending on what version of DQ1 you get, it really isn't that bad. I definitely remember spending a lot of time having to grind on the NES release, but I believe the GBC release was a bit better at smoothing things out. If nothing else the other quality of life changes (such as the stat up seeds) made it a lot more tolerable.

Speaking of grindy, let me just say gently caress these ingredient drops in DQ Heroes. I had something like 4 quests that require Belle Caps, and they just do not want to drop. I actually managed to farm the Mirrorstones I needed from Killing Machines before I got half of these quests done.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I played through SFC DQI-III last year and had no issues with them.

I still laugh at the kvetching about DQII. My 10-year-old self beat that in 1990, and my Mom also beat it. It still probably has my favorite music of the entire series: the overworld music while the Prince is alone.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

Depending on what version of DQ1 you get, it really isn't that bad. I definitely remember spending a lot of time having to grind on the NES release, but I believe the GBC release was a bit better at smoothing things out. If nothing else the other quality of life changes (such as the stat up seeds) made it a lot more tolerable.

Speaking of grindy, let me just say gently caress these ingredient drops in DQ Heroes. I had something like 4 quests that require Belle Caps, and they just do not want to drop. I actually managed to farm the Mirrorstones I needed from Killing Machines before I got half of these quests done.

What drops the Belle Caps, on that note?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Shamans.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nickoten posted:

I honestly didn't find II too hard at all up to the near-end game, honestly. My problem was more that I just had a hard time sticking with it once you get to the point right before Rhone where you're running errands around the world. I didn't find the scenarios at that point to be very compelling compared to the games before and after it. I think Cave to Rhone is where people quit and it colors the rest of the game as a result.

Edit: This is about the GBC version which I don't doubt was made easier.

The Cave to Rhone is pretty near the end of the game too, so people would quit when they're almost done with the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Cave to Rhone is pretty near the end of the game too, so people would quit when they're almost done with the game.

The one saving grace, and it's not much of one, is if you get through then you come to that shrine that heals everyone to full for nothing as many times as you like and which you bloody well need because the overworld encounters in the area love to spam instant-kill spells that can hit the whole party... and sometimes do, causing an immediate wipe and reloading your last save.

Luceo posted:

I still laugh at the kvetching about DQII. My 10-year-old self beat that in 1990, and my Mom also beat it. It still probably has my favorite music of the entire series: the overworld music while the Prince is alone.

Glad to hear it. Just because we beat it as children, though, doesn't mean that it is well designed. That said, kudos to your mum.

Part of the problem is so many versions of I, II, III and, slightly differently, IV. You have the original NES games which I still think have very well done graphics that hold up nicely, then there are the translated SFC versions, the bum-ugly but very well done and content rich (especially III) GBA versions, and, let's not forget, the tablet/phone versions that you can take just about anywhere with you but have slightly annoying controls. With IV, you have no SFC version (was never translated, I think?) but there is the DS version. So, yeah... agony of choice and all that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

In Training posted:

I embarked on this journey earlier his year and it's quite the ride. Enjoy lots of awesome games (haven't played 7 or 9 yet though so I can't speak to those)

Dragon Quest 9 is one of my favorite RPGs, you should get on that! It's the best Dragon Quest available on the DS (I'd love the chance to buy the DQ7 remake, Square...)

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

The one saving grace, and it's not much of one, is if you get through then you come to that shrine that heals everyone to full for nothing as many times as you like and which you bloody well need because the overworld encounters in the area love to spam instant-kill spells that can hit the whole party... and sometimes do, causing an immediate wipe and reloading your last save.

Glad to hear it. Just because we beat it as children, though, doesn't mean that it is well designed. That said, kudos to your mum.

Part of the problem is so many versions of I, II, III and, slightly differently, IV. You have the original NES games which I still think have very well done graphics that hold up nicely, then there are the translated SFC versions, the bum-ugly but very well done and content rich (especially III) GBA versions, and, let's not forget, the tablet/phone versions that you can take just about anywhere with you but have slightly annoying controls. With IV, you have no SFC version (was never translated, I think?) but there is the DS version. So, yeah... agony of choice and all that.

Honestly, I always found the GBC graphics easier to stomach now than the NES equivalents. I actually even prefer them over whatever source the iOS versions of DQ1 and 2 draw from (I think it's the SFC versions?). SFC DQ3 looks really good though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Nickoten posted:

Honestly, I always found the GBC graphics easier to stomach now than the NES equivalents. I actually even prefer them over whatever source the iOS versions of DQ1 and 2 draw from (I think it's the SFC versions?). SFC DQ3 looks really good though.

Agree to disagree. I played through DQI, II and III on the NES last summer ('14) and I find the graphics quite charming. The adorable slimes and the cheeky looking wyverns are burned into my brain. I do think that the SFC versions look grand, though, just less quaint (read: nostalgic)

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

Agree to disagree. I played through DQI, II and III on the NES last summer ('14) and I find the graphics quite charming. The adorable slimes and the cheeky looking wyverns are burned into my brain. I do think that the SFC versions look grand, though, just less quaint (read: nostalgic)

I never beat Dragon Quest I until I played it on GBC and that has more nostalgic charm for me so I definitely see where you're coming from.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

One of the Shrine maps has those, man-o-wars, and killing machines on it so it was a decent place to knock out a bunch of quests though it definitely started wearing down my party members (I think it's the first time I've run out of revives). I'm currently using a Sylveria map with Shaman instead, because there's a quicker loop to respawn shaman and the enemies overall are easier to tear through.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

It also doesn't make it a bad game. Goons tend to stretch hyperbole to the extreme, where everything is either the best thing ever, or the worst thing ever, but DQII is still a fine game, difficulty aside. My point was that the difficulty, while present, is exaggerated. I still remember being absolutely blown away by the scope of DQII when it came out, being amazed that you could have THREE party members compared to just one, and that the entire world of DQI was just a small part of II's map. And again, the music was wonderful. :allears:

It's not the best in the series, but it's certainly not the worst, and for its time DQII's difficulty was par for the the course. We beat games like that over our knees when I was a kid!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Luceo posted:

It's not the best in the series, but it's certainly not the worst, and for its time DQII's difficulty was par for the the course. We beat games like that over our knees when I was a kid!

It's definitely the worst in the series whether or not you find it enjoyable!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Luceo posted:

It also doesn't make it a bad game. Goons tend to stretch hyperbole to the extreme, where everything is either the best thing ever, or the worst thing ever, but DQII is still a fine game, difficulty aside. My point was that the difficulty, while present, is exaggerated. I still remember being absolutely blown away by the scope of DQII when it came out, being amazed that you could have THREE party members compared to just one, and that the entire world of DQI was just a small part of II's map. And again, the music was wonderful. :allears:

I will concede that the scope is very impressive. The "growth" from DQ1 to DQ2 is staggering, and having three party members is a big help and the actual content (as in, not just grinding) is a huge step forward. Nevertheless, I played it less than 18 months ago and I was just glad that it was over when it was finally over. If you enjoy it, fine - I have no desire to piddle on your parade - but this is not a grown man channeling his whiny, spoiled childhood to express his bitterness. To the contrary, this is a grown man who played the game last year and thought that it had huge stretches of poor design and teeth-gnashins frustration. DQ3 was not as big a leap from 2 as 2 was from 1, but it none of those issues, had 4 party members with classes (that you could change!!!), a huge world and no random mobs who can wipe your entire fully-healed party with one action against which you have no defence. Having Metal Babbles run all the time is annoying, but it doesn't compare to what I just said.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think 2 is real interesting from a historical perspective but I don't think it's particularly enjoyable compared to every other DQ I've played.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

I think 2 is real interesting from a historical perspective but I don't think it's particularly enjoyable compared to every other DQ I've played.

This is my opinion. DQ2 is an interesting historical footnote but I'd rather play pretty much any other DQ game.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Wendell posted:

It's definitely the worst in the series whether or not you find it enjoyable!

Srice posted:

DQI is the worst in the series and DQV is the best. :colbert:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think 1 is also neat from a historical perspective more than anything else, but it's also way less of a slog than 2 and much, much shorter so I like it more.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

DQ1 is certainly more playable in the translated DQI+II SFC game than on the NES, but if you fast forward it's only like an hour long. :v:

STAIRS
DOOR

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I told Amos the truth in Dragon Quest VI then saved the game. whoops.

So far this is shaping up to be my favorite DQ. I've finished IV and V, and while they're really cool games and V has one of my favorite game stories VI is just so much more interesting from a gameplay perspective. Like in V I was using basic attack and autoheal for most of the game. In VI the dungeons are long and the regular encounters are difficult so I can't do that. All the dungeons remind me of the great and long final one in V.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think the GBC versions look great, especially for the hardware. The battle animations are fantastic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JustJeff88 posted:

If you play the NES version of DQIV skip the Iron Safe in chapter 3. Not only does it permanently take up a slot that is better used by a Sword of Malice (full inventory of them, for money in Chapter 5) but it vanishes in chapter 5 anyways, so if you want it for the main game you need to just wait until chapter 5 to get it.

Luceo posted:

I beat it as a kid as well but that doesn't make the game any less of a poorly designed hell. Cave of Rhode sucks but it's not like the area after it decides to stop with the bullshit.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you play the NES version of DQIV skip the Iron Safe in chapter 3. Not only does it permanently take up a slot that is better used by a Sword of Malice (full inventory of them, for money in Chapter 5) but it vanishes in chapter 5 anyways, so if you want it for the main game you need to just wait until chapter 5 to get it.

As I recall, the Iron Safe only works in chapter 3. Am I misremembering?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I think that's right, with the in-game idea being that the iron safe becomes the bank in Chapter 5.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I told Amos the truth in Dragon Quest VI then saved the game. whoops.

So far this is shaping up to be my favorite DQ. I've finished IV and V, and while they're really cool games and V has one of my favorite game stories VI is just so much more interesting from a gameplay perspective. Like in V I was using basic attack and autoheal for most of the game. In VI the dungeons are long and the regular encounters are difficult so I can't do that. All the dungeons remind me of the great and long final one in V.

I screwed up with Amos too, it's cool that it's permanently missable but I wanted to recruit him!!!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Dragon Quest 2 is a hosed up game and probably the one I'm least inclined to go back and play, but I will still defend it to the death. Playing it as a kid without the internet was an awesome experience and no other RPG I've played has come close to matching the sense of accomplishment and the sheer joy of discovery and exploration that I got from that game.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

Dragon Quest 2 is a hosed up game and probably the one I'm least inclined to go back and play, but I will still defend it to the death. Playing it as a kid without the internet was an awesome experience and no other RPG I've played has come close to matching the sense of accomplishment and the sheer joy of discovery and exploration that I got from that game.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Dragon quest IX is my favourite and a very very good game. I envy those of you who have yet to play it. Do so, it's awesome.