Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Expansion was good but Guild Wars 2 has sank its claws into me. Feel free to kick my alts but if you could keep Vasdora and Vasry in that'd be great since I wont be gone that long. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Noirex posted:

So even though I unsubbed many months ago, I still received the mount, blaster and Nic companion today when I logged in on my sub. Which is a very nice surprise but still left me pretty confused.

I initially didn't qualify for the pre-subbed rewards as I missed a couple of crucial dates for them, but when I logged in yesterday I also received the same. I'm guessing Bioware decided, "Eh, why not?" and decided to be lax on the criteria for rewards.

Or I still don't understand how the reward system worked in the first place.

But yes, I'm fairly confused as well, because as it stands this means the only thing I ultimately missed out on was a week early access to KotFE. Not complaining, though!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Asimo posted:

So what's the trigger for the quest to recruit Lokin once you're done with Chapter 9? I've recruited Yuun, Talos, Xalek, and Nico (and of course the two droids), and I thought you only needed to have four recruited to unlock it? Or does Yuun not count, and I have to do the tedious bullshit needed for Qyzen or Pierce? :ughh:

I'm pretty sure that one comes after Qyzen so once you finish his recruitment mission the next one should be his.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
People probably cried so much they just said "gently caress it."

On the topic of spec swapping and Utilities, could we actually get the Utility (and maybe the Passive) tweaks to show up in the Ability tooltips when you mouse over them? Maybe have it be a toggle option if people don't want it, but particularly with some specs you can have 5-10 modifiers that are hard to keep track of, especially when you swap to a new spec.

It might help new players actually learn what skills to use, among other things, and would make it easier to see what procs can be spread or which DoTs might add extra damage to some burst move, etc. You could just paste the other skill descriptions under the main tooltip, maybe in a different color (green for utility, blue for passive?), nothing fancy.

Maybe I'm missing a key part, but it seems like it would be a simple enough thing to link in to the actual skill modification code and it would just take care of itself, but I have no idea how dumb the engine might be with this sort of thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Yeah, it's poor design that I can't see that two of my attacks have +30% crit rate right on the tooltip. That's not a small detail.

It's also poor design that the new reward speeder I received looks and sounds like a dry fart, and is about as fast as a slow horse.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Stevefin posted:

So I also came back to check out the new expansion and brought myself up to speed. However this good deal is locked cause I am a scumbag from down under. Any other places anyone could pick up this deal if I plan to pay some cash
Input a US address and it should work, since it's a digital purchase.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hulk Smash! posted:

Input a US address and it should work, since it's a digital purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsHjW8rBRk0

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Made a boosted 60 and played through it today, was surprised how short it was but what's there is fun. Not sure I'll play through it again as it was mostly: run down a corridor then talk or fight. All the interactions are classic Bioware so that's mostly good and it was nice that your choices can change things later. The new uber companions make it pretty easy, it really is all about the story.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why do artificers make non-moddable lightsabers now? Who would ever use one?

Couldn't you buy moddable lightsabers on Taris before? Are they gone now?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What setup are you guys using to solo the heroic star forts? I tried it on my dps jugg with a rank 9 or so talos healing and got obliterated in the last room; didn't even get to the final boss, the two gold mobs outpaced the healing.

Do I just need a better-ranked companion or do I need to be in tank spec? What if I set my comp to tank and switched to healer myself?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I was a little bummed that they didn't modify the normal 1-60 character creation screen. I LOVE the new one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ainsley McTree posted:

What setup are you guys using to solo the heroic star forts? I tried it on my dps jugg with a rank 9 or so talos healing and got obliterated in the last room; didn't even get to the final boss, the two gold mobs outpaced the healing.

Do I just need a better-ranked companion or do I need to be in tank spec? What if I set my comp to tank and switched to healer myself?

Better ranks. I just go in as Rage, and while a rank 10ish comp is fine for most of the trash, paladins and the last boss run require a higher ranked companion. I first tried with mai waifu Lana at 22 and did it, required blowing heroic moment at that point though. The trick is to kill the whites and the little robot first as they are the real damage dealers, you can tank the golds indefinitely.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

sassassin posted:

Probably cause the high end hilts and barrels are harder to obtain so the crafted one's make a good stepping point till you get one

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've done it 3x now on my dps jugg. My issue with the place was that my companion was doing so much healing that he was dying, from aggroing everything, while I AEed down a side. What worked for me was to use taunt a lot along with defensives while AEing down the weak ones. Then swapping to single target for the golds and trying to keep them both on me rather then on my companion. Higher ranks on your companion will also make it easier.

edit - hmm, heroic moment or even unity should also trivialize it, never remember to use those.

Rouncer fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 28, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I plowed through all the Belsavis heroics last night. Absolutely ridiculous--I only came close to dying a couple times and it was only because I accidentally put my healer comp in passive mode.

If I can do it the most uncoordinated spaz on Earth can do it.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 28, 2015

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I heard all the KotFE quests are solo only. Is this true, and you can't do them in a party?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

I'm pretty sure that one comes after Qyzen so once you finish his recruitment mission the next one should be his.
Dammit, that one's so horribly and hostile designed and I don't even like that idiot. :argh: Ah well.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man some of those romanced companion letters are brutal

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Do we have a guild mumble or teamspeak?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh right, I keep forgetting about heroic moments. I think I've even received that advice before, so I super forgot it!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I ended up doing them all with a Sabotage Gunslinger geared with a mix of 208 and 216 equipment, plus Senya at rank 20 influence. Never had much of a problem with anything besides the Exarchs, who would often just go after my companion and leave me desperately trying to get their attention (and usually failing, because I've no taunting abilities). That, however, was only really a significant problem with the more tanky Exarchs like that rear end in a top hat on the Voss-orbiting station with the self-heal.

In any case, Unity and Heroic Moment are absolute musts, if that wasn't already obvious.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

sassassin posted:

They didn't include new ranks for crafting ANY moddable items, so no new mods, enhancements, hilts, barrels, etc. I guess this, along with the increased Crit chance for crafter's, is meant to encourage raiders to reverse engineer drops to get high end items and boost their profits.

The good news is, the crafted purple lightsaber is as good stat wise as a drop from SM operations. Unfortunately they don't have crystal slots and are plain as hell looking. :(

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

sassassin posted:

I'm assuming a lot of the new recipes are meant as outfit designer fodder.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I found that Hatred spec Assassin was having trouble even with heroic moment and a high influence healer companion. I left most of my DPS gear on and changed back to Darkness and had no issues. Biggest thing is keeping the Exarch off your healer and interrupting when you can.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

Do we have a guild mumble or teamspeak?

It's in the Guild pane window but it's only really used on raid nights.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have an easier time on my Vengeance jugg than my Arsenal Merc, with same level companions due to better defenses but, starting at around level 14, companions are good enough to solo the heroics, I find. I usually let the companion take care of the golds and I handle the trash mob.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Also, with high enough influence the Akk Dog companion plays dead and "barks" on command :neckbeard:

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Eimi posted:

I first tried with mai waifu Lana at 22

Excuse me Eimi, Lana is MY waifu.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

waffledoodle posted:

Added to my list. I have much bigger problems with the guild window (like WHY THE gently caress ARE THERE TWO OF THEM) that I'm hoping we can address soon, especially since pop keeps going up. I've only been on SWTOR for a little over a year, so half of the fun of my job is hearing about bugs for the first time that players are like "yeah that poo poo was broke in 2011 lol."

It's not like the /who search issue doesn't have a simple workaround, but I've seen it brought up by a few different goons looking for a guild invite now so I guess it's worth noting.

And yeah, I know all too well about taking over old UI code. (Scalefooooorm! :argh:) Though nothing of the magnitude of a MMO, so good luck with all that! :v:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Rouncer posted:

Probably cause the high end hilts and barrels are harder to obtain so the crafted one's make a good stepping point till you get one

I've done it 3x now on my dps jugg. My issue with the place was that my companion was doing so much healing that he was dying, from aggroing everything, while I AEed down a side. What worked for me was to use taunt a lot along with defensives while AEing down the weak ones. Then swapping to single target for the golds and trying to keep them both on me rather then on my companion. Higher ranks on your companion will also make it easier.

edit - hmm, heroic moment or even unity should also trivialize it, never remember to use those.

On my Vigilance Guardian I switch to Soresu form -> AoE taunt -> Saber Reflect -> Vigilant Thrust -> switch back to Shien. That keeps aggro for a long time.

My Lana Beniko is in the mid-forties now for influence though and can tank the Heroics with no problem. Hell if she could click the consoles she probably wouldn't even need me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Soloing heroic forts sounds like a lot of work. I'd almost rather interact with another human being and do it the normal way!

Soloing heroic missions in general though is easy peasy yeah. Even right out of the gate with a new character and un-influenced companions you can just start soloing them right away, it's pretty nuts.

I do wish more of them were in instanced areas though; trying to compete or cooperate with pubbies in open world areas is unpleasant. When I see a pubbie clearly camping the same objective as me, I'll shoot 'em a group invite but a surprising amount of the time they will act against self-interest and decline.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Soloing the Heroic Star Fortresses is a necessity once for the achievement. :). After that, it's good for getting decorations and the mods and enhancements that drop are purple 208s which can sell well, but that price has dropped significantly. I sold one mood for 1 million the day I did the solo heroic but now they're less than 50k. :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of cash cows, I noticed that purple grade 8 sliced tech parts were selling for something like 50k/piece the other day. I listed mine like "well there's no way this will actually sell" but it sold immediately.

I hope that lasts forever because I have a lot of slice masters but I bet it won't

Doonium, unfortunately, is not as hot as it once was but at least UT can get rank 5 gifts so it's not a waste of time having leveled that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm the guy that declines group invites. It's a combo of social anxiety and the fact that with companions as they are I don't need help. Sorry :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm the guy that declines group invites. It's a combo of social anxiety and the fact that with companions as they are I don't need help. Sorry :(

That's actually kind of bad behavior if you're in an area where everybody's trying to get one objective that respawns slowly. If you're in a group, and you do the thing, everybody gets credit and can get on with their day. If you decline, and take the objective individually, now everybody has to wait for it to come back and you've wasted everybody around you's time; I get the social anxiety thing but by doing this you're actually increasing the chances of getting yelled at by someone who tried to be helpful and group with you. If avoiding social interaction is your goal, it's better to accept the invite, say nothing, and quit the group after getting the objective than to decline.

I'll shoot an invite if someone's camping the same objective as me. I'll never talk to them except to say "thank you" before disbanding the group immediately after the objective is complete. It's just better for everybody, there's no real reason to go out of your way to lone-wolf it in these situations except to grief people honestly

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I started the game literally last night, as a Jedi Counsuler. Fun so far!

That link (Click here to make your life easier!) http://www.swtor.com/r/w9Nbkk doesn't work for me, neither does the speeder code.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
More Heroic Star Fortress talk...get Sana Rae to 10 Influence asap, the power you get from her cache is AoE and will take Elites to 50% and outright kill standard mobs. Very, very helpful for clearing the console encounters. Seriously, this ability does 7 to 11k guaranteed damage every second for 7 seconds.

Edit: for the console encounters if your careful you can lie of sight pull the Elites out of the room and take them out by themselves.

DrunkenGarbageCan fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 28, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Skychrono posted:

I started the game literally last night, as a Jedi Counsuler. Fun so far!

That link (Click here to make your life easier!) http://www.swtor.com/r/w9Nbkk doesn't work for me, neither does the speeder code.

It only works if you aren't subscribed. If for some reason that still doesn't work, could always try mine: http://www.swtor.com/r/SbLXBF

I know all this. I suck :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Looks like the cantina speeder codes are no longer any good in the OP, does anyone have a working one?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
PAX one is expired as of yesterday (I think), here's one for NYCC: http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/19fv59

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of cash cows, I noticed that purple grade 8 sliced tech parts were selling for something like 50k/piece the other day. I listed mine like "well there's no way this will actually sell" but it sold immediately.

I hope that lasts forever because I have a lot of slice masters but I bet it won't

Doonium, unfortunately, is not as hot as it once was but at least UT can get rank 5 gifts so it's not a waste of time having leveled that.

I noticed the same thing yesterday, and sold the 6 I had at 50k each. They also sold immediately and the price went up after, so I guess I should have waited to sell.

E: Also, what is the reason behind the price differences for purple tier 5 companion gifts? Some were selling at 25k, and others were at 5k. Is it the type? Or are certain "rares" more rare than others?

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Purple slicing mats should hold their value for quite a while since everyone needs augments and I think they're even used in some other purple schematics. Adaptive Circuitry is even required for the weekly C2-N2 quest in the cantina.

Purple Underworld Trading and Treasure Hunting mats... Well, no real new schematics to use those on...

• Locked thread