Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
All the current Vermintide Twitch streams with a double digits spectator count are about people running bullshit BP exploit runs :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

All the current Vermintide Twitch streams with a double digits spectator count are about people running bullshit BP exploit runs :(

Yeah last night the goonintide chat was full with BP cheese spam as well. Hope fotshork a) puts group requirement for the horn and b) removes pathfinding exploits from both BP and HoM soon.

Dezztroy posted:

It did count all 4 tomes at the end but crashed when it got to the cursed dice. I still got the loot though. We did it a few more times and the fourth tome was always there.

Well, okay then. What the gently caress fotshork.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

DatonKallandor posted:

Man I'd love to get greens. The loot progression is way too luck based if you play the game properly and don't exploit quick item runs.

all of the poo poo i got by taking blues and forging them.

Take like 3 of one thing you want and 2 of another thing you want and you'll get one of the other.
E:
Well at least the things I wanted.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 28, 2015

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Mikojan posted:

I'm not saying its giving people that choose to exploit an unfair advantage. But as long as people will see it as the fastest way to get a chance on good loot they will feel like playing any other map is a waste of time.

I hate to say it, but in the end if you are hoping for an upgrade at the end of a game it kind of is.

Just the other day after two failed attempts a group of goons came limping out of a hard The White Rat run and after our initial excitement that we actually completed that massive pain in the rear end you could hear the crushing disappointment in everyone's voice as we ended up with 2 whites and 2 greens.

I mean exploiting BP is boring as hell and when they finally fix it I won't be sad, but seriously gently caress that poo poo.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I really don't get the obsession with loot. Any time loot comes into play people go into full poopsocking mode over it and consider it the main point of the game.

The main point of the game is to hit rats with hammers while bantering with your friends and getting poo poo on by The All-Mighty Director. The loot roll at the end of the map is a side-bonus, it's not the main objective, stop treating this like it's World of Warcraft.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!

Trier posted:

I really don't get the obsession with loot. Any time loot comes into play people go into full poopsocking mode over it and consider it the main point of the game.

The main point of the game is to hit rats with hammers while bantering with your friends and getting poo poo on by The All-Mighty Director. The loot roll at the end of the map is a side-bonus, it's not the main objective, stop treating this like it's World of Warcraft.

I really don't get this as well. Right now I'm watching a stream of a couple of lvl20s doing BP runs and it just seems soooo loving boring. I get that getting good loot is a huge incentive to playing the game, but the last 6 or 7 games I've been playing was with my with shield/mace soldier and just having fun bantering with other players, getting our rear end kicked occassionally but most of all hitting skaven on the head with a mace.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Valiant Pudding posted:

I get that getting good loot is a huge incentive to playing the game

It's always nice to get bigger digits, I'm glad the game has loot, but it's having a lovely psychological effect on people and they forget the game's about hitting ratmen, like you said.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
I enjoy the game but the reward system needs tweaking. Complete The White Rat on hard and then tell me you would be happy with whites and greens at the end.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's not just that, it's also the lovely corrosive effect it has on player behavior

I mean if even the almighty totally-not-pubby goons are speed running boring rear end glitches to get loot, you gotta work a little harder to get a fun group that just wants to bash rat mans

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
White Rat isn't a particularly hard mission though? :shrug:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Trier posted:

Yeah I think the loot ruins the game as well. I'd be happier if items just dropped randomly or they were just a bunch of skins rather than a direct upgrade.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Valiant Pudding posted:

I really don't get this as well. Right now I'm watching a stream of a couple of lvl20s doing BP runs and it just seems soooo loving boring. I get that getting good loot is a huge incentive to playing the game, but the last 6 or 7 games I've been playing was with my with shield/mace soldier and just having fun bantering with other players, getting our rear end kicked occassionally but most of all hitting skaven on the head with a mace.

I don't get the fixation with BP. Smuggler's run isn't that much longer, and you get to punch rats in easy arenas.

I've found Morr is a real good map for rat killing. Pubs are too busy cheesing Horn to know how Morr is laid out yet, so you can control the amount of grimoires you want to take, and adjust it according to how terrible they are doing. The final room can be rough, but it's easy to shoot specials from anywhere. You can also bust two chains at once if the group looks competent, to shave some time off the run.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 28, 2015

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Dezztroy posted:

White Rat isn't a particularly hard mission though? :shrug:

I'm just exaggerating to justify my loot obsession. :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

That Italian Guy posted:

On mondays/tuesdays I stream whatever i'm playing through steam if you want to watch next week. Bit hard to interact but if you just wanna hang out and watch me shoot rats its there. Username is the same as this one. You might be subjected to a few "teaching my friends to survive on hard" smugglers runs though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That Italian Guy posted:

Which I don't understand because watching someone cheese BP for sixteen hours is boring. I guess another case of the weird cult of personality worship that streamers get?

I did the BP exploit a few times the other night and it was kind of fun in a "oh gently caress I am running cataclysm and everything could kill me" plus "woo loot" but really you are just going to end up with a pile of blues. It was fun for a bit but eventually if the tether breaks early then it is just a wipe, so most of the time is just you throwing barrels and then booking it.

What I am saying is that even if they didn't patch the exploit I would probably not keep using it. It was kind of fun to get away with it at first but now, eh, it's really not that fun in the end. I'd rather play some legit runs.

Donnerberg posted:

I don't get the fixation with BP. Smuggler's run isn't that much longer, and you get to punch rats in easy arenas.

BP has an exploit right now that essentially allows you to collect barrels entirely unharassed except for specials because it locks the normal spawns/storm vermin in their spawn points

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 28, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

That Italian Guy posted:

I have not had time to do it, but you're drat sure im going to try and do it a few times with friends before it gets patched, cause gently caress this games loot grind

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Only thing I want is new maps in the future with bosses of some sort. That'd be some poo poo. Doesn't even necessarily have to be a need to kill them, but could be simply to escape or survive.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there was a tiny patch just now, did they fix the bp thing?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I kinda hate that I can't use all of a character's abilities until I have ten different items for them. Really should have started with the full compliment of whites.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

dogstile posted:

On mondays/tuesdays I stream whatever i'm playing through steam if you want to watch next week. Bit hard to interact but if you just wanna hang out and watch me shoot rats its there. Username is the same as this one. You might be subjected to a few "teaching my friends to survive on hard" smugglers runs though.

Thats's cool! On what kind of timezone are you in?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Which I don't understand because watching someone cheese BP for sixteen hours is boring. I guess another case of the weird cult of personality worship that streamers get?

I'm not sure this is the case. For such a booming game (at least according to Steam), Vermintide has a minuscule streaming scene. Even at primetime the "regular" top streams have about 100-300 spectators top...There's literally not that much choice if you want to see someone else play this game for your enjoyment, at the moment. It's either
- watch competent* people run BP exploit;
- watch people speaking French or Russian (or streaming with sub par equipment);
- watch some popular streamer goofing around trying out the game.
So I guess watching people that you can understand and that can at least play the game is the least terrible option :(

*may not be totally true

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Speaking personally, it's fun to roll through Cata BP Bug runs as fast as possible, like a timed challenge. It works quite well over, say, a work lunch where I have a limited amount of time to play and want to accomplish something (loots) without getting poo poo on by a bad pubbie team (cata horn runs, etc). The fact that random specials spawn out in the level at times is like a small speedbump that should be cleared ASAP to return to the speedrun already in progress.

It's different from the rest of the game, in a fun/relaxing way. Decent loot is just an occasional nice bonus at this point since I've got oranges on the two characters I mainly play as and the only thing I really need are good trinkets and MINMAXING my existing oranges with better passive rolls.

It would be much funnier if the devs left the "exploit" in and just heavily weighted the dice against getting anything good to piss people off.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The tether breaks if you get too close to the side wall (basically any futher forward than the path immediately to the left of the boat) so it would be hilarious if they expanded that range outwards a bit and then didn't put it in a patch note.

What I am saying is I want to see some pubbie groups implode

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 28, 2015

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

sushibandit posted:

It would be much funnier if the devs left the "exploit" in and just heavily weighted the dice against getting anything good to piss people off.

That would be super funny if that wasn't already the reason people felt the need to abuse the hell out of this exploit.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
re: people shittalking the blunderbuss

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

rezatahs posted:

That would be super funny if that wasn't already the reason people felt the need to abuse the hell out of this exploit.

Could change it so that you have to kill a certain number of rats or something to count for loot. Participation, basically

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tiler Kiwi posted:

re: people shittalking the blunderbuss

Is the blunderbuss a good anti-rogre tool? I mean does just blasting it point blank at target big enough to soak up all the pellets just do a poo poo ton of damage?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm thinking of doing tacos and nightmare runs tonight. ANyone interested? I'll be going as Kruber. The goal is to start with the horn and work our way up to the white rat on nightmare.

Starting around 7pm CST. Depending on interest I might stream it too. Seeing as the only people top streaming vermintide right now are fat neckbeard furries farming blackpowder.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Is the blunderbuss a good anti-rogre tool? I mean does just blasting it point blank at target big enough to soak up all the pellets just do a poo poo ton of damage?

Well, not usually, but there's a few things going for me that help.

1. You can mash R during the animation that plays after a shot to skip it and reload faster.
2. I have a 50% faster reload on this gun.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Tiler Kiwi posted:

1. You can mash R during the animation that plays after a shot to skip it and reload faster.

Handgun still is my favorite but Im looking forward to trying the orange blunderbuss when I get one. Fast reload headshots are just way too good on the max dmg rifle :(

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What I am saying is I want to see some pubbie groups implode
I'm going to try this tonight. Let's see how many times I can do it before they kick me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Witch Hunter's hatchet is surprisingly good. You'll do good poo poo dancing around the edges of a melee since your single-target damage is insane, and Armor-piercing makes you the perfect counter to Stormvermin.

On that note, I guess the Dwarf's two-handed hammer pretty much trumps the great axe. Shame, really; swinging for the fences and kneecapping swarms of Skaven was fun, but the knockback is just too drat good to drop.

EDIT: i mean, you can do that too with the hammer; it's just that the rats don't get shredded like cabbage which rules hardcore

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 28, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Finally getting an orange weapon only to have it roll 3.5% on a 3-10% trait is the worst thing.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
If you are just stepping into Hard difficulty, try the Waterfront mission. It's pretty easy, short, has a variety of mechanics to practice, and its rat ogre spawn point is in a wide-open area. There's also not a lot of obstacles breaking line of sight, so you can snipe specials pretty easily to carry bad players.

It's even doable solo with bots. It's how I introduced my buds to Hard. First time completion.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Elpato posted:

If you are just stepping into Hard difficulty, try the Waterfront mission. It's pretty easy, short, has a variety of mechanics to practice, and its rat ogre spawn point is in a wide-open area. There's also not a lot of obstacles breaking line of sight, so you can snipe specials pretty easily to carry bad players.

It's even doable solo with bots. It's how I introduced my buds to Hard. First time completion.

Found the elf.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the grey seer shittalks you if you die

BRING ME HIS BEARD

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Musluk posted:

Found the elf.

If you think "special sniper" when you think of the Elf, you might be that Elf.

Go try something that goes boom and tell me who the special snipers are.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Huh. I had to try that one out for myself, and yeah: The shotgun has a bit of a delay after firing but before it starts reloading, and you can speed it up by a half-second or so by firing and then immediately pressing reload.

It seems to technically work for the other guns too, but only the blunderbuss has a reload delay long enough to really make it worthwhile. Interesting.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For anyone on the fence and concerned paying full price, Hot Random Keys has the game for $22 along with 2 other random games.

https://www.hrkgame.com/hotdeals/warhammer-end-times-vermintide/

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TheQat posted:

there was a tiny patch just now, did they fix the bp thing?

Let's look at the steam comments and find out!

PumpkinSpicedAutism
You know what, I'm just gonna refund it. There hasn't been one Optimization fix since this game was released a week ago and i don't think the devs actually care.

.:Sneaj:.
Where is the optimization patch ? This game need optimization.

◄SargentoTITO►
Where is the optimization patch ? This game need optimization.

Smile Ohoy Fag
still n perform fixes what are u guys doing? woooooow

umadfellah?
I even logged in from my working place to say: WTF? You really did not fix exploit on black powder? God why devs do not have any balls, idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lmao gamers are the worst

• Locked thread