Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

David Hasselhoff, no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Well people think single mandate constituencies rip party structures apart because you vote for particular people, so...

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Also that Lech Kaczyński was second coming of JFK.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Also that Putin sent bomber planes to Syria to infest Poland with typhus-ridden economic migrants.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Here's a wild idea - replace that utterly retarded cathechesis thing with a civics class and maybe in another 50 years we'll have a semi-decent functional society.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Great deals for the members of parliament of Estonia - get a free car by the end of your term. One free car for your children, another free car for your wife. Lexus, Rolls-Royce, it doesn't matter.

If only I were a lawless anarchist right now....

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Some more funny news from a small and stupid Slav country!

People in Slovenia are pissed about this whole refugee thing. Like, really really pissed. There's people going "We should restart Auschwitz and send these people there... and quick!". So this random person started a tumblr: http://zlovenija.tumblr.com/ It contains some nice facebook photos of people smiling/with their friends/family etc, coupled with their public facebook comments.

Following that, as of yet anonymous person started printing these out and posting them around towns:

So now we have pictures of people smiling at you from lamp posts and public poster spaces, along with their :gas: refugees comments. It's wonderful.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Truga posted:

People in Slovenia are pissed about this whole refugee thing. Like, really really pissed. There's people going "We should restart Auschwitz and send these people there... and quick!".
When I visited Kobarid i especially appreciated the nice state in which you keep the local monumental/brutalist/fascist church&cemetery built to Benito's specs.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Truga posted:

People in Slovenia are pissed about this whole refugee thing. Like, really really pissed. There's people going "We should restart Auschwitz and send these people there... and quick!". So this random person started a tumblr: http://zlovenija.tumblr.com/ It contains some nice facebook photos of people smiling/with their friends/family etc, coupled with their public facebook comments.

Following that, as of yet anonymous person started printing these out and posting them around towns:

So now we have pictures of people smiling at you from lamp posts and public poster spaces, along with their :gas: refugees comments. It's wonderful.

http://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/okruzeni-smo-ljudskim-smecem-zapamtite-im-imena/851943.aspx
:nexus::hf::nexus:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

Is Slovenia Zlovenia in Slovenian or may this be a word play around (hopefully similar to Russian "zlo") word "evil"?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Truga posted:

This owns.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pierogi posted:

When I visited Kobarid i especially appreciated the nice state in which you keep the local monumental/brutalist/fascist church&cemetery built to Benito's specs.

Ok short story time about an expat from I wanna say some 4-5 years ago.

He was back from the US, visiting friends&family, short holiday, that kind of poo poo. He lands at the airport, starts his car trip towards the capital, sees a new path and a conspicuous new thingy some 50m off the road that definitely wasn't there 2-3 years ago during his last visit. Decides to take a look.

Stops his car next to what appears to be a monument of some sorts. Looks fairly well built, probably expensive. He gets out, starts reading. The monument says, and I quote, "Dedicated to all those, who fell defending their country, religion, homes against the partisan threat," and then some other religious/patriotic bullshit I'll probably never remember.

Now, the only country that ever had to be defended against the partisan threat around here was the 3rd Reich, so I can understand how confused he was! After it was explained that that's the kind of poo poo we do in this country now, thanks to a growing revisionist faction, he was pretty pissed. It really says something about this lovely country when the first thing you stumble upon while driving from the airport to the capital town is a brand spankin new monument to Nazi collaborators. I don't think he's ever coming back again :v:

kalstrams posted:

Is Slovenia Zlovenia in Slovenian or may this be a word play around (hopefully similar to Russian "zlo") word "evil"?

It's the latter, yeah.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truga posted:

Now, the only country that ever had to be defended against the partisan threat around here was the 3rd Reich, so I can understand how confused he was! After it was explained that that's the kind of poo poo we do in this country now, thanks to a growing revisionist faction, he was pretty pissed. It really says something about this lovely country when the first thing you stumble upon while driving from the airport to the capital town is a brand spankin new monument to Nazi collaborators. I don't think he's ever coming back again :v:

Yes, because the partisans were all very nice and never terrorized areas, forced people to join them at gunpoint, shot at and threw grenades at columns of people fleeing the country, filled mass graves with those repatriated after the exodus or declared you an enemy for daring to own land. Why would anyone take up arms against such nice people?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Palpek posted:

This owns.

It does, but public shaming only works if the public doesn't think the same way.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
What does this say?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The_Franz posted:

Yes, because the partisans were all very nice and never terrorized areas, forced people to join them at gunpoint, shot at and threw grenades at columns of people fleeing the country, filled mass graves with those repatriated after the exodus or declared you an enemy for daring to own land. Why would anyone take up arms against such nice people?

I'm going to be fairly blunt here: The fact that what Tito's Partizans did in Slovenia at the rear end end of WW2 manages to show up as a big blip on your warcrime radar is less of a statement about how brutal the Partizans were, and more of a statement about just how much Slovenians collaborated with the Nazis. Not because of how much Tito did, but because of how little the Nazis did. And I'm saying this as someone who despises Tito.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So after the demise of that young Russian soldier in Syria, I've been reading up on dedovshchina. Couple of questions. First, how reliable is Novaya Gazeta? I know they're a major bug-bear for Putin, but how solid is their journalism? Second, the Wikped article says that after a kid called Ruslan Aiderkhanov died in what's suspected to be a dedovshchina incident, the sole witness willing to testify, one Danil Chalkin, showed up dead, but I've been unable to find any sourcing on this. Does any exist, or is it just Wikipedia spicing the story up?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

So after the demise of that young Russian soldier in Syria, I've been reading up on dedovshchina. Couple of questions. First, how reliable is Novaya Gazeta? I know they're a major bug-bear for Putin, but how solid is their journalism? Second, the Wikped article says that after a kid called Ruslan Aiderkhanov died in what's suspected to be a dedovshchina incident, the sole witness willing to testify, one Danil Chalkin, showed up dead, but I've been unable to find any sourcing on this. Does any exist, or is it just Wikipedia spicing the story up?
Novaya Gazeta generally is quite decent. I haven't been able to find anything on Chalkin either.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Moldova's parliament is set to vote on a motion of no confidence over that banking scandal where a billion dollars in deposits just vanished. http://news.yahoo.com/moldova-parliament-seen-backing-no-confidence-vote-against-114926533.html Reuters seems to think it is likely to succeed.

Are there any Georgia goons about? I've been trying to read up on the Rustavi-2 fight going on right now but there's not much out there in English, and Google translate is... not great for Georgian.

E: Novaya Gazeta is generally quite good

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Novaya is the closest Russia has to actual press ---- but even they sometimes are used by the Kremlin.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pizdec posted:

What does this say?

"Naj jih pustijo , da se pokoljejo med seboj, saj prej tako nebo miru..... drugega tako niso vajeni. če nimajo diktature so kot brezglave kokoši...."
"Let them slaughter each other, there'll be no peace before that. They're not used to anything else, they're like headless chickens without a dictatorship."

In other news, today a member of the "Slovenian Democratic Party" and ex minister of education twitted a pic of himself next to this picture, saying "Je suis Vesna Krejan".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Swan Oat posted:

Moldova's parliament is set to vote on a motion of no confidence over that banking scandal where a billion dollars in deposits just vanished. http://news.yahoo.com/moldova-parliament-seen-backing-no-confidence-vote-against-114926533.html Reuters seems to think it is likely to succeed.

Are there any Georgia goons about? I've been trying to read up on the Rustavi-2 fight going on right now but there's not much out there in English, and Google translate is... not great for Georgian.

E: Novaya Gazeta is generally quite good

Moldova's government has lost a no-confidence vote, pro-EU coalition has collapsed.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Truga posted:

"Naj jih pustijo , da se pokoljejo med seboj, saj prej tako nebo miru..... drugega tako niso vajeni. če nimajo diktature so kot brezglave kokoši...."
"Let them slaughter each other, there'll be no peace before that. They're not used to anything else, they're like headless chickens without a dictatorship."
:tipshat:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So did the Rebels capture this as well or did they liberate it from Sergeis One-Stop hunting Shop

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Truga posted:

I know it's been said 30 times already but this is fantastic.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Terrible footage be warned, but here's some footage from Todays Svatove disaster. Apparently mortars are cooking off and hitting peoples houses. You can see the cookoff here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpDb_fl25ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsiuINRQUkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByMTYAfQ5wo

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

LeoMarr posted:

Terrible footage be warned, but here's some footage from Todays Svatove disaster. Apparently mortars are cooking off and hitting peoples houses. You can see the cookoff here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpDb_fl25ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsiuINRQUkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByMTYAfQ5wo

any word on causes?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sparatuvs posted:

any word on causes?
So far chief of Luhansk oblast civil-military administration Tuka allegedly has said, that two rockets did hit the 9000 sqm ammunition warehouse, with 3.5+ kilotons of stuff. Per him, military were able to extinguish only the first hit. As of a few hours ago, 2 civilians dead and 2 wounded, evacuation is happening. One of the dead is a shop employee that got killed by blast of a round blasted into the said shop. Emergency services say that they are helpless woth regards to fighting the fire due to danger imposed by explosions.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

kalstrams posted:

So far chief of Luhansk oblast civil-military administration Tuka allegedly has said, that two rockets did hit the 9000 sqm ammunition warehouse, with 3.5+ kilotons of stuff. Per him, military were able to extinguish only the first hit. As of now, 2 civilians dead and 2 wounded, evacuation is happening. One of the dead is a shop employee that got killed by blast of a round blasted into the said shop. Emergency services say that they are helpless woth regards to fighting the fire due to danger imposed by explosions.

drat we were doing so well

The SBU says it was an enemy action as well.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 30, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I hope they are doing very well with evacuation. Weirdly enough, ATO chief did say that rescue services are working on site and that there are no victims. Also, it appears that explosions have damaged some phone towers and some railway tracks.

Edit: That was speaker, not chief, and that idiot has also said that population was safe.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

LeoMarr posted:

So did the Rebels capture this as well or did they liberate it from Sergeis One-Stop hunting Shop

I can't offhand identify just what it (early variant T-64 maybe?) is but that looks like some fairly old tank to me, so if it's one Ukraine has used it might well be captured. Russia doesn't much seem to care about plausible deniability here so they just drive around with their newest T-72B3's and whatnot.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Elukka posted:

I can't offhand identify just what it (early variant T-64 maybe?) is but that looks like some fairly old tank to me, so if it's one Ukraine has used it might well be captured. Russia doesn't much seem to care about plausible deniability here so they just drive around with their newest T-72B3's and whatnot.

Russia actually started by driving in some hastily refitted T-64s they had lying around, but then just kinda gave up.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Elukka posted:

They are also using these as a propaganda piece to scare Ukraine, theres been a few cases of T72s having an extremely aggressive tempo, then T64s actually conducting the battle, before T72s post up again further demoralizing the yukies.

Its probably a T64, but DNR engineers frankenesteined it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yukies?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"DNR engineers" uh huh.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Short for Ukrainian I think, he may have just made it up.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Short for Ukrainian I think, he may have just made it up.

I've always seen it spelled 'ukie' (pronounced "You-key"); but it's at least a reasonably common regional shorthand for the word Ukrainian in the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Toronto area, where there is a fairly established and interconnected set of Ukrainian communities including multiple chapters from two separate Boy Scouts analogues (Plast and CYM) and related summer camps. The term extends back at least 25 years and probably longer, and has not really been used much outside the community nor used as a pejorative to my knowledge. :eng101:

Whether it's used much outside those contexts/those regions, I can't really say beyond I don't run across it myself.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Olesh posted:

I've always seen it spelled 'ukie' (pronounced "You-key"); but it's at least a reasonably common regional shorthand for the word Ukrainian in the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Toronto area, where there is a fairly established and interconnected set of Ukrainian communities including multiple chapters from two separate Boy Scouts analogues (Plast and CYM) and related summer camps. The term extends back at least 25 years and probably longer, and has not really been used much outside the community nor used as a pejorative to my knowledge. :eng101:

Whether it's used much outside those contexts/those regions, I can't really say beyond I don't run across it myself.

Ah, that's my bad then, thank you. :)

(My apologies, LeoMarr)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I honestly just made that up it, sounded like something a T-14 driver would say as he was blasting away at Ukrainians on the eastern front Minsk Agreement DMZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3peat
May 6, 2010

An hour ago there was a fire at a club in Bucharest, so far over 40 dead and hundreds with burn wounds; it's the biggest disaster in Romania since the Balotesti plane crash 20 years ago

• Locked thread