Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepostaldude
Jan 18, 2009

I regret nothing.

Mr_D posted:

Per reddit, the new features of YNAB5 that we know about are:
  • "The Cloud" so now you can rely on a spotty internet connection to work on your budget
  • Goal tracking, basically a memo field for a budget category
  • Credit card payment management, a feature that becomes less useful the more you use YNAB
  • A monthly paycheck for the developers

You can look at a few of those, and at a sneak preview of the interface here: http://edge.youneedabudget.com/learn/guide/user-handbook

Looks like it is "Cloud"-Only, with no way to self-host it. I really do not want my budget in "The Cloud", so no YNAB5 for me. Luckily, YNAB4 is not going to cease functioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Your budget already is in the cloud, that's how YNAB4 works. It's just that the app is going to run from a website now, too.

I'll have to see what the monthly cost is before I upgrade. Doesn't look like there's anything 'killer' in there, like sub-categories.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I don't see how sub categories are killer? You can already have multiple different master categories with categories inside there. Isn't that enough?

I want cloud because I'm often wanting to update my budget while not at a windows or mac computer. Most of my interaction with YNAB is through a remote desktop session to my home PC.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Chin Strap posted:

I don't see how sub categories are killer? You can already have multiple different master categories with categories inside there. Isn't that enough?

I want cloud because I'm often wanting to update my budget while not at a windows or mac computer. Most of my interaction with YNAB is through a remote desktop session to my home PC.
Phone app.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

You can just stick your budget file into Dropbox and YNAB works fine with it. There's also apps for both Android and iOS.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mr_D posted:

Dave Ramsey is a tool, though.

And hey, good on you dreesemonkey for working on YNAB to provide new and useful reports. Per reddit, the new features of YNAB5 that we know about are:

• "The Cloud" so now you can rely on a spotty internet connection to work on your budget
  • Goal tracking, basically a memo field for a budget category
  • Credit card payment management, a feature that becomes less useful the more you use YNAB
  • A monthly paycheck for the developers

I guess there could be something amazing under wraps, but at this point I'm not optimistic.

These all sound like great additions. I'm certainly willing to pay the developers monthly, as long as they've developed a good product. It's very hard to make a business out of selling a one-time cost product like YNAB wherein you get to the point where your application is pretty polished unless you keep adding feature bloat just so you can justify selling a new version every year.

The sooner I can get Adobe Air off my PC the better.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Chin Strap posted:

Sub categories as in breaking down categories but not specifically budgeting them. Like I have a drinking budget that includes bars and also includes going to the liquor store. Being able to specify those two as sub-categories of 'booze' and having them subtract from the booze balance instead of putting everything together would be cool.

Or like, I don't spend much on clothing, so when I do it just goes under 'misc' but it would be cool to sub-cat it so I could keep track of it more effectively without having to go in and readjust my budget for it.

I'm a programmer, maybe I'll just make my own app.

thepostaldude
Jan 18, 2009

I regret nothing.

Sockser posted:

Your budget already is in the cloud, that's how YNAB4 works. It's just that the app is going to run from a website now, too.

My YNAB4 budget is saved only on my desktop. Why would you think YNAB4 is saving it in the cloud? I suppose if you enable dropbox support it can be called "the cloud", but I do not use that.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I don't really want to add another subscription to my life, but if YNAB5 is faster than the dog slow YNAB4 (something they say will happen), I'll have to at least consider it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
there's a secret keyboard shortcut that can compress down your YNAB budget folder and consolidate all the thousands of .diff files that's in there, that can help the budget load much faster on older budget files, and reduce the size of that folder.

It is CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+C

I believe it won't let you load prior versions of the budget before you do that though, so definitely back up your folder before doing it.

Took my folder from 63 MB down to 7.8 MB and cut the number of files from like 8k to 80

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 28, 2015

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Phone app.

Phone app doesn't let me edit the budget, and it is significantly slower for entering 5-10 transactions in a row (I don't add immediately unless it is a cash purchase, I just add the next day using mint to see all my accounts).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Any support for multiple currencies or "private" YNAB categories (so my wife and I can keep transactions secret from each other)?

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
I don't think YNAB4 supports multiple currencies in one budget (see, that would be a useful feature for YNAB5).

As for "private" categories, for the payee put "greazeball's dope dealer" and set the category to "secret purchases WIFE DO NOT LOOK". Category and payee names are arbitrary, you don't have to fill them out correctly. I have a "Work Lunch" payee, because I don't care if I went to Jimmy John's or Chipotle or the local beef stand - I just want to track how much I spend on lunches at work as part of my overall Restaurants category.

For me, ATM withdrawals are blow money. I budget $200 for ATM withdrawals a month, and once it's gone I don't take money out. You could do something similar in your situation.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'll be sticking with YNAB4 for pretty much ever I think. Theres nothing feature wise that I really need or want. Having adobe air installed to run it does suck and it can be slow at times but nothing so bad that it'd be worth signing up for a monthly service for.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

there's a secret keyboard shortcut that can compress down your YNAB budget folder and consolidate all the thousands of .diff files that's in there, that can help the budget load much faster on older budget files, and reduce the size of that folder.

It is CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+C

I believe it won't let you load prior versions of the budget before you do that though, so definitely back up your folder before doing it.

Took my folder from 63 MB down to 7.8 MB and cut the number of files from like 8k to 80

Stolen for OP.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Stupid YNAB questions incoming:

I had a $1000 emergency fund separate from any bank account that I had not accounted for anywhere in YNAB because I didn't want to think about or see that money- I wanted to pretend as if it didn't exist. However, last week, my car broke down and I had to use $500 of that money to repair the car. How do I now account for this transaction in YNAB? And how do I then go about replenishing that emergency fund in YNAB? Do I create a new category and then hide it when I've replenished it or something? Please talk me through this like I am a small child. :)

Second question- is there somewhere I can go to run detailed reports for all transactions categorized under a certain category? I have one category where I'm paying a bill and receiving portions of this bill back from friends on a monthly basis and I'm pretty sure I screwed something up because the category is showing I have far more money available to spend than I believe I actually have and now I'm trying to reconcile that.

Thanks for putting up with me! I really like this software but it's a little confusing on occasion ;)

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

IllegallySober posted:

I had a $1000 emergency fund separate from any bank account that I had not accounted for anywhere in YNAB because I didn't want to think about or see that money- I wanted to pretend as if it didn't exist. However, last week, my car broke down and I had to use $500 of that money to repair the car. How do I now account for this transaction in YNAB? And how do I then go about replenishing that emergency fund in YNAB? Do I create a new category and then hide it when I've replenished it or something? Please talk me through this like I am a small child. :)
Why not keep it in YNAB but in an off-budget account? It keeps it out of your budget until you need it, and then you can transfer it in. To replenish it, create a budget line item and put $100/mo or whatever into it. I guess for some reason you want to actually transfer the money out of your bank account? That seems unnecessary and counter to what YNAB helps you do, so maybe reconsider your method. Remember that your account balances aren't what matter, it's your budget category balances that you look at.

quote:

Second question- is there somewhere I can go to run detailed reports for all transactions categorized under a certain category? I have one category where I'm paying a bill and receiving portions of this bill back from friends on a monthly basis and I'm pretty sure I screwed something up because the category is showing I have far more money available to spend than I believe I actually have and now I'm trying to reconcile that.

Reports > By Payee > select your payees and run report > click on the graph (pie chart thing) for a list of transactions

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

Thanks for putting up with me! I really like this software but it's a little confusing on occasion ;)
Answer 1 is going to be a misc source income for November transaction or an inflow on a specific category transaction.

Answer 2 is going to be somewhere in the reports tab. Play around with it some.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

Since the money was spent from an account not in YNAB period, then you don't need to enter anything in the software from that initial purchase.

As you refill this account, you will enter an outflow and log it as car repairs or whatever.

This would be the same if you had this money as a nonbudget account, except you would just log the initial purchase as well. It just wouldn't have a category because it is off budget.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
More info about the subscription model pricing.

I'm telling everyone I know to snap up YNAB4 while they still can. It's disheartening to see all the sycophants on their forums excited for the new "features." Not really sure where I should complain to let them know that I'm extremely disappointed in the subscription model move.

YNAB team posted:

Pricing’s a tricky thing. As we considered how to price the new YNAB, we asked ourselves questions like:

- Is the price friendly?
- What are our competitors doing?
- How does the price compare to the value YNAB delivers?
- What is YNAB’s cost per user? What price will support that cost and operating overhead?
- What about our future plans? Will profits at a specific price point allow for investment in future growth?
- Will the pricing support YNAB as a business far into the foreseeable future?

These questions (and probably many I’ve forgotten) and their answers guided our process. Still, pricing is scary. You wish you could have a Goldilocks moment and try a few before landing on the price that is “just right.”

So here is where we landed. After our usual 34-day free trial, if you want to subscribe, the pricing breaks down as follows:

- $45 per year if you subscribe within our lifetime discount launch window. (You lock in a lifetime 10 percent discount off the annual plan.)
- $50 per year if you subscribe after the lifetime discount launch window.
- $5 per month if you’d like to take the monthly option.

Once we officially launch, if you purchased YNAB 4 recently, we’ll credit you free months if you decide to upgrade:

1 month prior to launch -> 11 months free
2 months... -> 10 months free
3 months... -> 9 months free
4 months... -> 8 months free
5 months... -> 7 months free
6 months... -> 6 months free

Arbitrary Pricing Cutoffs
I totally recognize that cutting off the monthly credits at six months is arbitrary. We’ve run into this every time we’ve released an upgrade in the past. We need the cutoff to happen somewhere. We’ve always done it at six months, so we’re just going to stick with the devil we know.

It’s kind of like when you buy some new tech gadget and then a new version comes out three months later. You liked the gadget when you bought it. You felt you had received value for it. But when the new gadget comes out you kind of are left thinking, “Gosh, I wish I had waited.”

I totally get that. Again, I’m excited for the business model switch so we can avoid this and just continually add value to your use of YNAB, while having you continually assess whether that value is worth the price we’re asking.

The Upgrade is Completely Optional
We are not going to cripple the software you purchased. Everything will work great as long as you maintain hardware that runs it. If YNAB 4 is delivering the value you’re looking for, you bought the license, and it’s good for as long as you want to use it.

If you purchased eight months ago and think, “Gosh, I don’t think I want to purchase YNAB again so soon.” That’s totally fine! Hopefully we release some feature down the road in the next few months that will change your mind. Again, I’m thrilled that our pace of development will finally be showcased on a regular basis instead of hidden behind arbitrary major upgrade release cycles.

I just want to be super clear here: You can continue using YNAB 4. Just assess this purchase like you did your original purchase of YNAB. I hope we can make a compelling case for the upgrade! ;)

Locking in the Discount
We are keen on a simple price point in the long run: $5 per month, or $50 per year. However, we also want to incentivize you like a used car salesman, where he assures you that, “This offer is only good until Saturday!” (Yeah, right.) So, once we move out of the soft launch phase, you’ll have until the end of the discount window to lock in an additional 10 percent savings off the annual price, making it $45/year.

That’s a locked in discount. So when we’re all being driven around by self-driving cars, and have iBrains embedded in our, well, brains, and we announce that we’ve increased the price to 120 Megadonks (the currency switch happened fast, it’s a long story that your grandkids love to hear), you can rest assured, sipping on your nano-machine-anti-aging sweet tea, that your price will be 12 Megadonks less. Because you get that 10 percent off. Which still computes even though we switched to a 10-month calendar because the moon.

Wrapping Up
That’s a wrap. I’ll try and field questions as they come. As long as they’re on-topic. I have seen all of the Star Wars movies. Hopefully there won’t be too many questions. We really tried hard to make the pricing friendly, competitive, economical, and at a point where we can keep YNAB going and growing strong.

Edit: 1 month, 2 months, etc. prior to launch, not from the moment I'm posting this.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I think it's fair, they probably figure a lot of people aren't going to "upgrade".

I don't mind paying for services that I use and get value from (and they have a business to run), but I am happy with YNAB4/dropbox now so I'll stick to that for the forseeable future unless there is something super compelling in the works. As much as I use/like YNAB, I can justify $50/year for it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, I don't see the problem here.

What if they'd released YNAB5 as a desktop app? You'd have to pay for that. And then YNAB6, 7, 8, 9. Or you could've just stuck with YNAB4...exactly like the situation with the web app/subscription thingy.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I mean the whole thing I liked about YNAB versus something like Mint was it wasn't hoovering up all my data and keeping it on a server and selling it to who knows what data mining marketers.

I known the drop box sync is also technically a server in don't control but I can at least see all the files its writing and they're under my account, I can delete them, and its totally optional and not storing passwords or account numbers or anything.

Unless there's some super awesome new features I don't see a reason to upgrade.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

What exactly are the features they want you to upgrade for? I'm pretty happy with YNAB4. More so since I got it for a one time $15 purchase.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

The ability to fully operate the program through Android would be worth an upgrade to me as I could really use the ability to set my budgets from anywhere. I used to do a lot of my YNAB stuff at work but I switched jobs a few months ago. The new work PC I'm on is heavily locked down so no programs or dropbox are accessible. If I could access everything via web or had more freedom to use YNAB on mobile then I'd upgrade because as it stands I just haven't used it at all since the job switch.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

mrmcd posted:

I mean the whole thing I liked about YNAB versus something like Mint was it wasn't hoovering up all my data and keeping it on a server and selling it to who knows what data mining marketers.

I known the drop box sync is also technically a server in don't control but I can at least see all the files its writing and they're under my account, I can delete them, and its totally optional and not storing passwords or account numbers or anything.

Unless there's some super awesome new features I don't see a reason to upgrade.

We just took on a personal finance education project at work and it's causing me to re-evaluate a lot of my own practices, like checking out YNAB again. This news really put a damper on it. I've read the security brief and privacy policy and there aren't any outright red flags (yet), and I do trust them more than post-takeover Mint but still. I really don't want all this information on someone else's databases.

There's a lot of advantages to the new web model above being able to charge (a not unreasonable but still high) subscription fee, rapid updates, instant cross platform, maybe tighter integration with various banks? I get why they'd want to go this way, even if it pushes the [justifiably] paranoid like myself away.

That said, is there a referral chain or coupon floating around for YNAB4?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Where would you put a credit card carrying a balance to pay down, that you intend to never use?

I have about $3,200 on a Chase Slate that has 0% APR through the end of next year that I intend to pay off as slowly as possible until a few months before. I won't be making new purchases because I know better (they lose their 0% APR until the balance transfer is paid off) so I figured I would give it the same treatments as I do my loans.

Everything searching for YNAB help results in recommends keeping them on budget, so maybe I have the wrong idea about this.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Was trying to be good with money and wait to see if there's a YNAB sale on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but it seems unlikely since they opted out of the Steam sale this past summer. Any advice on whether I should wait with this new subscription-based program on the horizon that I likely don't want?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Where would you put a credit card carrying a balance to pay down, that you intend to never use?

I have about $3,200 on a Chase Slate that has 0% APR through the end of next year that I intend to pay off as slowly as possible until a few months before. I won't be making new purchases because I know better (they lose their 0% APR until the balance transfer is paid off) so I figured I would give it the same treatments as I do my loans.

Everything searching for YNAB help results in recommends keeping them on budget, so maybe I have the wrong idea about this.
On budget if there is *any* chance you are going to use the card (0% apr on purchases too?), off budget / treat-like-a-loan if not.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
No chance I'll be using it any time soon, and I likely never will. Once it's paid off next year I might put a coffee on it every few months just to keep it for the utilization and age of accounts, but I signed up specifically to transfer a balance and nothing else.

Yes 0% APR for purchases, but not ones made after transferring a balance. Otherwise, 22.9% APR. It has no rewards either.

ilkhan posted:

Double check that I'm right but as far as I know 0% is 0%. The only thing having a balance does is get rid of the grace period.

You could be right about this. I still have a long way to go before I would need to use the card again, though. Two other %0 APR cards, and of course, not carrying a balance is an option. I'd just pay as I spend without building up large balances on my cards, but I'm focusing on paying off my car first.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 12, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Moneyball posted:

No chance I'll be using it any time soon, and I likely never will. Once it's paid off next year I might put a coffee on it every few months just to keep it for the utilization and age of accounts, but I signed up specifically to transfer a balance and nothing else.

Yes 0% APR for purchases, but not ones made after transferring a balance. Otherwise, 22.9% APR. It has no rewards either.
Double check that I'm right but as far as I know 0% is 0%. The only thing having a balance does is get rid of the grace period.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Easychair Bootson posted:

Why not keep it in YNAB but in an off-budget account? It keeps it out of your budget until you need it, and then you can transfer it in. To replenish it, create a budget line item and put $100/mo or whatever into it. I guess for some reason you want to actually transfer the money out of your bank account? That seems unnecessary and counter to what YNAB helps you do, so maybe reconsider your method. Remember that your account balances aren't what matter, it's your budget category balances that you look at.

Reports > By Payee > select your payees and run report > click on the graph (pie chart thing) for a list of transactions

I wanted it completely off-budget because that way I don't think about it when I have it and it's not in a bank account for me to spend. I know it's not exactly what YNAB teaches but while I'm getting used to YNAB I thought it was a good thing to have.

That being said, I went ahead and added it to the budget for now which will solve both of the current problems with that (tracking the expenditure and replenishing the fund)

And thanks for the tip on the reports. I'll go dig through that and see where I went wrong!

Okay, something else I don't think I fully understand:

With YNAB, the idea is that you basically have a series of "digital envelopes" that you're budgeting your money with, right? So let's say last month, when I started YNAB, I had $100 in a savings account and when I set up YNAB I "budgeted" that money for my Buffer. I didn't withdraw anything from it, it just carried over. Now it's a new month, that $100 is still sitting there, but it's not in my checking account, it's in my savings. When I'm budgeting my money for the new month, the only way I could overdraft is by spending the money that's in that Buffer, correct? Even though it's not in the actual checking account?

Even typing that out I'm not sure if my have my question right but hopefully it's enough for you guys to understand. I'm not to Step 4 yet but I'm terrified I'm going to have something bounce because I don't have the money in the right spot and I'm not certain what I'm doing.

Edit 2: Okay, now I think I really hosed myself. When I made the "emergency fund" an on-budget account, that then added that $500 to the pool to budget, didn't it? So when I budgeted to zero and cued up bills to pay- I was doing it with $500 that isn't actually in that account, wasn't I?

God drat it, I'm getting really frustrated trying to make sense of this poo poo. I don't know if I'm making it harder than I need to or what but I'm pretty sure I just paid a bunch of bills with money that isn't actually in the account because YNAB said "yeah, go ahead, there's lots of money still left!" HELP

Referee fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 12, 2015

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
The way YNAB works with money is it takes all of your on-budget accounts and puts all of that money into one big pool of cash. It doesn't care what account the money is, only that it is on budget.

From there, it takes money from that large pool and puts it into envelopes.

In your example, if you had $1k in your checking, you would have $1k in that big pool. If you add your savings account of $500 to on-budget accounts, you will now have $1.5k.

If you try to pay bills totaling $1.5k from your checking account, you will of course overdraft on your checking account because you only have $1k in there.

To prevent this, you need to just be aware of how much money you have in what accounts, and try not to budget actual outflows beyond what's in your primary spending account.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

I wanted it completely off-budget because that way I don't think about it when I have it and it's not in a bank account for me to spend. I know it's not exactly what YNAB teaches but while I'm getting used to YNAB I thought it was a good thing to have.

That being said, I went ahead and added it to the budget for now which will solve both of the current problems with that (tracking the expenditure and replenishing the fund)

And thanks for the tip on the reports. I'll go dig through that and see where I went wrong!

Okay, something else I don't think I fully understand:

With YNAB, the idea is that you basically have a series of "digital envelopes" that you're budgeting your money with, right? So let's say last month, when I started YNAB, I had $100 in a savings account and when I set up YNAB I "budgeted" that money for my Buffer. I didn't withdraw anything from it, it just carried over. Now it's a new month, that $100 is still sitting there, but it's not in my checking account, it's in my savings. When I'm budgeting my money for the new month, the only way I could overdraft is by spending the money that's in that Buffer, correct? Even though it's not in the actual checking account?

Even typing that out I'm not sure if my have my question right but hopefully it's enough for you guys to understand. I'm not to Step 4 yet but I'm terrified I'm going to have something bounce because I don't have the money in the right spot and I'm not certain what I'm doing.

Edit 2: Okay, now I think I really hosed myself. When I made the "emergency fund" an on-budget account, that then added that $500 to the pool to budget, didn't it? So when I budgeted to zero and cued up bills to pay- I was doing it with $500 that isn't actually in that account, wasn't I?

God drat it, I'm getting really frustrated trying to make sense of this poo poo. I don't know if I'm making it harder than I need to or what but I'm pretty sure I just paid a bunch of bills with money that isn't actually in the account because YNAB said "yeah, go ahead, there's lots of money still left!" HELP
It's ok friend, you are ok.

What you should have done was budget that $500 in your initial month to a category called "emergency savings". Then it can sit there until an emergency arises. If you paid bills out of that, it's ok too, because it is money you have!

So if you need to not overdraft, go to your bank and quick transfer some of that $500 to your bill paying account (remember to log it as a transfer in ynab. It doesn't affect your budgeting but it does affect for reconciliation balance). Then, next month, you can start saving again to build up your emergency fund. Just budget what you can to that category, until you're happy with the cushion. it doesn't matter what account it's sitting in, because you should be looking at your budget not your bank balance.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm excited for YNAB 5 because adobe air is trash and ynab 4 is painful. I mean it's a fantastic program, but it's slow as poo poo. And the dropbox sync is nice when it works, but seems to fail a lot.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

myron cope posted:

I'm excited for YNAB 5 because adobe air is trash and ynab 4 is painful. I mean it's a fantastic program, but it's slow as poo poo. And the dropbox sync is nice when it works, but seems to fail a lot.

I agree with this except for the dropbox sync. I've been using it since dropbox sync was introduced and I've never had an issue with it.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Just a reminder that Dave Ramsey's every dollar is free for the same functionality on the cloud. I've found it to be a completely fair substitute to ynab.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dale Sveum posted:

The way YNAB works with money is it takes all of your on-budget accounts and puts all of that money into one big pool of cash. It doesn't care what account the money is, only that it is on budget.

From there, it takes money from that large pool and puts it into envelopes.

In your example, if you had $1k in your checking, you would have $1k in that big pool. If you add your savings account of $500 to on-budget accounts, you will now have $1.5k.

If you try to pay bills totaling $1.5k from your checking account, you will of course overdraft on your checking account because you only have $1k in there.

To prevent this, you need to just be aware of how much money you have in what accounts, and try not to budget actual outflows beyond what's in your primary spending account.

This is what I realized after the fact. Thank you for the clarification though :) Having to keep track of making sure outflows I'm adding is less than what's in the primary account seems cumbersome, though, and easy for an idiot like me to screw up. I suppose I could just throw all my money into the one checking account? (the "big pool" you referenced?)

Defenestration posted:

It's ok friend, you are ok.

What you should have done was budget that $500 in your initial month to a category called "emergency savings". Then it can sit there until an emergency arises. If you paid bills out of that, it's ok too, because it is money you have!

So if you need to not overdraft, go to your bank and quick transfer some of that $500 to your bill paying account (remember to log it as a transfer in ynab. It doesn't affect your budgeting but it does affect for reconciliation balance). Then, next month, you can start saving again to build up your emergency fund. Just budget what you can to that category, until you're happy with the cushion. it doesn't matter what account it's sitting in, because you should be looking at your budget not your bank balance.

Thanks for the reassurance. :)

Moved the $500 to my checking account today to cover my over-eager bill payments. I'll just have to make sure I budget the rest. I created a category called "Emergency Fund Replenishment" which I have budgeted the remainder of the available money towards.

More stupid questions:

When I budget money towards paying a credit card that I have not made transactions with that month, I should NOT see anything in the Outflows column for that budget line, correct? When I make the payment I'm recording a transfer from my checking account to the CC which decreases the balance on the sidebar, as it should. But I should never see anything on the Outflow line unless that's where I'm recording interest charged...right? (other than the first month I set up the account which added the pre-YNAB debt)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

When I budget money towards paying a credit card that I have not made transactions with that month, I should NOT see anything in the Outflows column for that budget line, correct? When I make the payment I'm recording a transfer from my checking account to the CC which decreases the balance on the sidebar, as it should. But I should never see anything on the Outflow line unless that's where I'm recording interest charged...right? (other than the first month I set up the account which added the pre-YNAB debt)
Correct. All you are doing is budgeting money towards a category (that happens to be overdrawn from their PoV). No transactions are occurring in the category, so no outflow is needed. Interest is sometimes budgeted as a separate category, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
IllegallySober if you haven't taken the YNAB courses I highly suggest it. Even if you can't make it to a "live" course signup and I think they send you a link to a pre-recorded one. It goes over how to use the software (which is a bit obtuse) and the whole "4 rules" aspect of YNAB.