Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Or I might try that. Hell, maybe I'll do a pasta-3-ways sort of dish. Hmm...^^^

Huh. I'll give that a try then. Do the anchovies really add that much flavor and depth to the dish? I'm not a huge fan of them, and I don't know what anyone else who's going thinks of them.

The pasta doesn't taste like anchovies. They add umami. You want them to melt into the olive oil, as someone said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

And the fact that you can't tell there's fish in there also makes it vegan-friendly!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Anchovies are a key part of one of my favourite pasta dishes, which I whore out here on GWS on the regular, Orecchiette alla pugliese. Orecchiette pasta is quite easy to make yourself, just a firm dough of semolina and water rolled into sausages, cut into disks and pressed/smeared with the thumb to make them curl. You can even just tear off little pieces of dough and smear them directly. They boil in about a minute. You can buy orecchiette but it would be sort of like buying frozen home fries.

The condiment is lots of garlic, anchovies (these just melt in the warm oil, no need to mash them) and maybe dried red peppers slowly heated in olive oil, with plenty of broccoli boiled quite soft added in and mushed. Let everything mingle for a while. Add the freshly boiled orecchiette and a splash of cooking water, check salt and seasoning religiously (fish sauce, maybe?) and sprinkle with a little extra good olive oil. It's quite good tepid so I think it would make a good potluck dish as well.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That's interesting. I've never come across a orechiette alla pugliese recipe that didn't involve tomatoes.
I have a recipe filed away for it, but it's in with the amatriciana, siciliana, arrabiata, puttanesca, pomodoro and other quick simple tomato sauce recipes.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Just discovered a really cheap and easy way to make some ridiculously delicious rice. Lots of Asian markets sell condensed Tom Yum soup pastes - steam up a bit of jasmine or sticky rice, add a little soy, then stir in a bit of the paste.

Makes a really delicious sweet and spicy rice dish with almost no effort. Also the condensed jars are like $3 and I used about a fourth of the jar on a huge bowl or rice that could easily make 5 meals.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I'm trying to cut down on my grocery bill (and eating out habit) in order to save money. I've done okay so far, making things at home and packing up excess, but my problem is partially that I need a lot of variety in my diet and the texture of microwaved food often grosses me out. Outside of "sack up and get over it" what are some good ways to reduce food waste when I'm cooking for myself? Also, what are some things I should look for to ensure that leftovers won't be gross when I take them to work?

I recently learned that salmon is horrible when reheated. Yikes.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

district 12 posted:

I'm trying to cut down on my grocery bill (and eating out habit) in order to save money. I've done okay so far, making things at home and packing up excess, but my problem is partially that I need a lot of variety in my diet and the texture of microwaved food often grosses me out. Outside of "sack up and get over it" what are some good ways to reduce food waste when I'm cooking for myself? Also, what are some things I should look for to ensure that leftovers won't be gross when I take them to work?

Hmm..I find one of the best way to get variety out of leftovers it to look for recipes that can be eaten multiple ways. For example, I'll make picadillo pretty regularly. The first night I'll eat it with rice, then the next night I may use it to make empanadas. Or put leftover mashed potaotoes around it and fry to make papas rellenas. So it's all the same basic dish of picadillo I made night 1, but I'm changing it up a bit so I don't go insane eating the same thing.

The same basic idea with something like chicken would be eating roast chicken night one, then turning the leftovers into chicken salad or chicken fried rice the next nights.

And yeah microwaved salmon sounds appalling. Some things should never be microwaved; fish is one. You should be fine using a work microwave to re-heat soups, stews, beans etc though. So either experiment with things to find out what works for you, or just commit yourself to eating cold sandwiches/salads at work where oven/stove re-heating isn't an option. Or you could always invest in a good insulated lunch box, heat stuff in the morning on at home on the stove, then take it to work. I've had good luck finding nice insulated lunch boxes at Korean and Latino groceries FWIW. The best ones (IMHO) will be made up of individual stacking compartments so your rice stays separate from your picadillo (or whatever you're eating).

PS: If you have to microwave re-heat rice, sprinkle some water on it first. It works much better.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Stew/slow cooker type dishes do way better reheated.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

district 12 posted:

You have a few options. The first is to cook smaller portions so you don't have a lot of leftovers. Another option is to make a lot of soups and stews, which will reheat in the microwave without any change in texture. You can freeze small portions as well to pull out at a later date. You can also repurpose leftovers, the classic example is a roast chicken: it can be a classic Sunday meal, and then sandwiches, soup, and shredded for salads throughout the week.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Thanks for the fast advice, everyone!

The smaller portions thing is common sense, but I've never really been talented at cooking, so when I find recipes that sound good I don't want to mess with them too much until I learn how to adapt recipes better. I'm feeling more confident in the kitchen these days so I will start tweaking things soon. :)

I'll start looking for ways to repurpose recipes, too. I usually end up just putting rice and a vegetable next to everything when I have no better idea but it gets pretty boring.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

What containers do people successfully use to freeze soups/stews?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I use your typical lovely gladware. My favorite food storage containers I got from Marshall's and they are kind of like these. For plastic, I usually let it cool down a little and then put it in plastic. To get it unfrozen, I thaw in the fridge for the day before I eat it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

For freezing chili/soups/stews, I like to let the food cool in the fridge, then take it out and dump it into ziplock baggies in 2 cup portions, then hang the baggies from the wire rack in the freezer using clothes pins until they're frozen. Once they're solid, I can take them off the rack and stack them nicely. To reheat, run the baggy under warm water till the plastic separates from the food, then open the baggie and carefully slid the food into a pot or other container to reheat. I use 2 cup portions because I find that that's the most useful size. Use 2 bags for a quart of stock in a recipe, or 1 bag for a portion for a meal. Plus giant boxes of the baggies are cheap at Walmart and they're easier to clean up than tupperware.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Niemat posted:

Cheap tupperware or I also save the big size yogurt containers and have a bunch of them on hand to save stock / soups etc for freezing. They fit about 3 cups each typically.

Plastic chinese takeout containers (the cylindrical plastic closeable top kind) also work well and are worth saving a few.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I stack delitainers in my freezer and fridge. They're really compact, and I picked up 100 on Amazon for cheap a year ago, maybe longer. They eventually break, but they're so cheap, I don't care at all. They're microwave and dishwasher safe, and they're clear so you can see what's inside.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I stack delitainers in my freezer and fridge. They're really compact, and I picked up 100 on Amazon for cheap a year ago, maybe longer. They eventually break, but they're so cheap, I don't care at all. They're microwave and dishwasher safe, and they're clear so you can see what's inside.

Seconding delitainers. I got 40- 10 each in 4 sizes for like $20 on Amazon. They're simple, they all have the same size lid and they double as prep bowls for chopped veg, etc when I'm cooking.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
What are your storage techniques/ideas for small kitchens. I have a decent amount of counter space (toaster oven, coffee grinder and water heater all live there), but very little cabinet space. Two upper cabinets are for cups, mugs and Tupperware. One lower cabinet has pot lids, bowls and oils. The single drawer has our utensils and the remaining upper cabinet is the "pantry."

Basically, I hate it. I can't buy much in bulk because we don't have room for it. There are half-empty boxes of pasta and shoved behind where myself and my partner can't see them. Unpacking the groceries is like Tetris and Jenga.

We already have some things hanging on IKEA Fintorp rails, like pots, pans and some utensils. I also have my pretty extensive Pyrex collection on a small bakers stand and our coffee-making equipment plus random kitchen appliances on a cart.

Tips? Tricks? Cheap ways to store leftover non-perishables without going broke? I'm going to nix Mason jar/glass containers right now because the upper cabinet is above my head (sometimes very high depending on the shelf) and I've already had stuff fall out onto me. I'm 5'3" as is my partner.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Off the top of my head, if either of you are handy with a saw and drill, you could potentially make some shelves or cabinets. When my wife and I moved into out current apartment, we saw that we had a decently sized pantry that had no shelves or cabinets in it at all. Literally just a walk-in closet with no door. So I went to Lowes and bought a couple sheets of plywood, a few 1X1X8s, some wood screws, and then went to Joanne Fabrics and bought some cheap muslin. It cost me like $50 total, but I basically ended up with 2 of these, in an L shape. Sure, you could buy plastic ones for $20-$30 each, but they're generally going to be much smaller and won't be able to hold nearly as much weight. The ones I built hold all of our pots and pans, a microwave, all of our plates, bowls, containers, a few of our smaller kitchen appliances, and all of our canned/bagged goods with room to spare.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

district 12 posted:

You know what is good for leftover salmon? Eating it cold. Or mashing it up and adding some mayo like tuna fish, and putting it on a sandwich or crackers.

Niemat posted:

My old yogurt tubs, salsa containers, etc. I recently purged most of my non-matching tupperware but I love those 64 oz yogurt tubs.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 26, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I had to buy wire metal racks and shove them in my laundry room (attached to the apartment kitchen) to have any sense of a pantry.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I bought some wire racks at the hardware store because I've got a, 8'x10' room next to my kitchen, that I use for a pantry. It's great. :)

Eponine posted:

Basically, I hate it. I can't buy much in bulk because we don't have room for it. There are half-empty boxes of pasta and shoved behind where myself and my partner can't see them. Unpacking the groceries is like Tetris and Jenga.
Stop buying boxes of pasta, for one. Buy it in bulk and store it in long tupperware containers, or get some snazzy glass jars with rubber or cork stoppers. It's also easier to see how much you've got on hand and if they're nice looking, they can be left on the counter and used as part of your kitchen decor. I've got pasta, rice, tea, bay leaves, and italian spice mix in a row of jars that get descendingly smaller, I just leave them on the counter against the wall, they look nice and are within arm's reach since I use them a lot.

Buying individual packages of staples is both expensive and wasteful, as well as hard to track inventory-wise. If you simply cannot cook spaghetti or rice or whatever without having the recipe on the package, then cut it out and tape it to the jar.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 26, 2015

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I mean, that's my issue. I can't buy in bulk because that (honestly adorable) set up you've got is literally the entire space I have for all of my food, so if I bought pasta in larger packages, it means I have to eat my way out of that pasta bulk buy before I can eat anything else. I buy rice in 5 pound bags and have a large receptacle for it; same with black beans, but there's not enough vertical space for pasta. We have no floor space for much more stuff, so I think the Pyrex collection is going to have to move to the top of the cabinets for awhile, even though it is going to drive me insane to have food sitting out (I am a crazy person).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eponine posted:

I mean, that's my issue. I can't buy in bulk because that (honestly adorable) set up you've got is literally the entire space I have for all of my food, so if I bought pasta in larger packages, it means I have to eat my way out of that pasta bulk buy before I can eat anything else. I buy rice in 5 pound bags and have a large receptacle for it; same with black beans, but there's not enough vertical space for pasta. We have no floor space for much more stuff, so I think the Pyrex collection is going to have to move to the top of the cabinets for awhile, even though it is going to drive me insane to have food sitting out (I am a crazy person).

I had the same problem, but you probably won't find the solution helpful: I hardly keep any food in my cupboards and I shop every 2-3 days. I buy smaller boxes of non-perishables and only replace things when I empty containers.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Alternatively just start stacking dry goods in your kitchen like a storage locker.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

CommonShore posted:

I had the same problem, but you probably won't find the solution helpful: I hardly keep any food in my cupboards and I shop every 2-3 days. I buy smaller boxes of non-perishables and only replace things when I empty containers.

Luckily enough for me I get off the train right next to a grocery store, so I'm there probably every other day to grab stuff for dinner. I'm definitely going to need to bite the bullet and reorganize my kitchen this winter because these are the kinds of things that ruin my day. I'm finally joining the Clean Sink Club, so maybe one day I can join the Organized Pantry and Fridge Club.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Eponine posted:

Organized Pantry and Fridge Club.

It's very hard to achieve this in a 5 person household, believe me

I think today is a Fridge Purge day hopefully followed by a visit to Aldi so I don't waste money on delivery or eat too much sausage, the only thing I have right now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Eponine posted:

If you've got so much kitchenware that you can't store it in your cupboards, perhaps you ought to figure out what you use a lot, and then move the rest to a hall closet or something. Or hang some stuff from the walls or something although at 5'3" you're severely restricted on space because you just won't be able to reach the top 1/3 of your cabinets and stuff. Having "a pyrex set" indicates that you've got more toys than use for them, if you can't find a place to store enough food to fill those dishes. ;)

I keep most of my nice flatware in a hall closet, as well as larger stuff like crockpots, half my revereware, etc.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 27, 2015

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
For those who don't like microwaved food, have you tried reheating the food with the microwave at a lower power for a longer time? That way you're not blasting it and overheating which is maybe what you don't like about microwaved food.

For the food storage space issues, is it lack of space at all, or just lack of storage space? If you have a spot in your kitchen or even dining room or room next to kitchen, a standalone pantry could be helpful.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/ClosetMaid-1556-Pantry-Cabinet-Espresso/dp/B004DEWHX2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445956979&sr=8-2&keywords=pantry+cabinet

My kitchen is super small too so we just made the dining room something of an expanded kitchen. I have two pantry things like that against one wall and this set-up for the equipment:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

mich posted:

For the food storage space issues, is it lack of space at all, or just lack of storage space? If you have a spot in your kitchen or even dining room or room next to kitchen, a standalone pantry could be helpful.

Lack of space/awkwardly shaped space. The entire thing is about 8'x15?'? Entering into the kitchen (through the living room, dining room is on the other side of the living room), the sink, cupboards, dishwasher, counter, range/oven and fridge are all along the wall on the left to the far wall. The back door on the far wall opens in, and directly behind it is a radiator (so no food storage by there). We have our spice rack hung on the wall above the leaf table we installed on the right-hand wall. Since the leaf table is always out, I've thought about a small storage area under the table that wouldn't affect us sitting there.

I love your IKEA shelf storage, though.

coyo7e posted:

Having "a pyrex set" indicates that you've got more toys than use for them, if you can't find a place to store enough food to fill those dishes. ;)

Guilty as charged. I do use my Pyrex for serving, cooking and food storage probably about 1-2 times a week, but it might be time to move it to the top of the cabinets because I eat food every day in that kitchen.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree a reorganization is probably in order. You have three upper cabinets, and two are full of cups, mugs, and Tupperware. That's nuts. Keep 2-3 cups and 2-3 mugs in a convenient place. The rest you very rarely need so you can store them way out of the way. Sort through your Tupperware and put what's left in a lower cabinet (pot lids can go on the racks with their pots, oils should probably be higher). Then you have a ton more space in your upper cabinets for food.

In my opinion, don't worry about decanting prepackaged, resealable foods -- it looks cuter but it's more hassle and takes up no less space. If you buy in bulk, or the packages are really inconvenient or can't be resealed, then they should go into square/rectangular containers, ideally organized by use.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Eponine posted:

Guilty as charged. I do use my Pyrex for serving, cooking and food storage probably about 1-2 times a week, but it might be time to move it to the top of the cabinets because I eat food every day in that kitchen.
What I meant was "a pyrex set" indicates probably 3-5 pieces of either wet-measuring pieces, or baking trays (especially when you are worried about storing them up high where they'd fall on you, if I read your previous post correctly). Why not put all but one into a closet? Wrap em in newspaper and set them aside and make due with whichever size you like best. I'm guilty of having 3 or 4 cast iron skillets on or in my stove at any time - I could probably "get by" with the 6" and 12" and take the others out when I need.

It's really hard to do but having three or four of things that I generally can only use one of a day, really piles stuff up quickly.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 27, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have a storage issue as well, but we also have 5 adults in the house, so paring down isn't as practical. Also they're very old cabinants so they're just sized extremely weird. There are drawers that are so narrow they can't hold my normal standup cheese grater, and shallow enough (lengthwise) that they can't hold things like wooden spoons.

If this was a house I owned I would have them all replaced, because this kitchen size-wise is fine, but it's just old and configured badly.

That being said thanks for that pantry link, I'm going to float that out as an idea.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
On kitchen storage space, we just picked up one of these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19931865/. Not the cheapest shelving we could have gotten, but it has the huge drawers and is in our main hallway (across from the kitchen) so we wanted it to look nice. Not having all your storage space in the immediate kitchen vicinity taken up by stuff (especially countertop appliances) that you don't use on a daily basis is really nice, and not having to constantly play reverse Tetris to get to that one piece of cookware you need is really, really nice.

As for old cabinets, I'd kill for the original cabinets in my unit - building's over a hundred years old, and all the units except ours still has the original Victorian farmhouse style cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling, which is like 9.5 feet high. Our cabinets? Bland-looking, mass-produced cabinets that seemed to have been designed for low-slung houses with dropped ceilings or something. They top out at like 7 feet and the area above them is walled off, which means we have like 30 cubic feet of kitchen that could be cabinet space (and used to be cabinet space) but is not cabinet space. If I owned the place I'd immediately install ceiling-height cabinets.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Boring news! I cleaned out pantry last night and got rid of a bunch of stuff that was stale, consolidated (why do I have so many half-consumed bags of egg noodles?) and re-organized and found a surprising amount of space!

Regard my terrible life choices in food (I haven't gone shopping for more than what's for dinner tonight in a long time).

Also here is a panorama of my weird kitchen, taken while I was boiling water for coffee.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Pro tip (England) - I've noticed a lot of butchers sell £1 bags of off cuts of 'ham' which is usually just the leftover bits of bacon thats too shredded to sell. Works really well to add salt/protein to beans and soups.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Wrong thread, look away.

Marius Pontmercy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 29, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Perhaps you meant that for a different thread, I don't think that girl can cook.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Faithless posted:

Pro tip (England) - I've noticed a lot of butchers sell £1 bags of off cuts of 'ham' which is usually just the leftover bits of bacon thats too shredded to sell. Works really well to add salt/protein to beans and soups.

They do that sometimes here in the US too, usually sold as bacon "ends and pieces". I know Trader Joe's has them for a pretty good price but I've gotten even better at supermarket meat counters. They're amazing and always seem like they're extra-flavorful, but that might just be because they're chunkier.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Discount bags of salami end pieces and miscuts are also life savers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The deli at my local grocer has sales occasionally where they'll sell sliced ham for like $1.49/lb. It only keeps for a week or two but I found that if you throw it into a crock pot with some bbq sauce, mustard, etc, you can end up with some pretty kickin' sloppy joe sandwiches with almost zero work.