Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Radbot posted:

The only good thing about NC is their correct decision on BBQ sauce (tangy, mustard based).

gently caress you, never mistake SC's superior bbq sauce for NC's vinegar (still better then tomato based)

Riosan posted:

The North Carolina LAN thread is leaking again.

I would of gone with the CFB off season thread

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Not gonna lie, if I was a political staffer, I'd rather work on Trump's campaign over Rand Paul's, even if Trump's motto is "You're Fired."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Trump is going to freak out as he realizes that he was just the flavor of the month. He's going to end up berating the American people for their stupidity, man it's going to be great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man, the Rubio/Clinton general is going to be such a let down after all this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
As a person who isn't a picky baby who only eats one kind of thing, I like all sorts of bbq from Korean to Texas to Memphis dry to the Carolinas and beyond.

Well, maybe not that poo poo Mr. hootington posted a pic of. But that might not legally have been food.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

mdemone posted:

I've done effortposts on this before, but 30 days is a serious overestimate. The vast majority of smokers are clean in far less time. The "30 days" canard comes from a single subject in a single study, whose THC levels kept mysteriously spiking throughout the study so that it took him more than a month to get clean. All other users were clean within two weeks, even long-term heavy smokers. (The NDCP did a meta-study on this and found the same thing, unfortunately I can't find that paper right now.) From personal experience, two weeks is a much more reasonable timeframe for heavy users, and one-time users are clean within a week and possibly within 48 hours they could beat a simple immunoassay that only tests to ~25 ng/mL (but not GC/MS which can get to ~5 ng/mL). The THC-metabolites hang around in fatty cells, but not nearly as long as you think, and I've seen heavy users hydrate/creatinine their way to being clean within a span of several days.

But obviously your point is correct. I just like to remind people of this whenever it comes up.

I was smoking once a day for an extended period of time, got a new job that required a test, abstained for about 25 days and still failed two practice tests I got from CVS.

Ended up having to smuggle clean piss into the lab.

If the job hadn't required a background check as well, which took 30 days, and instead required me to drug test immediately upon being offered the position, I'd have been straight up hosed.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

Donald Trump's green room on the left, Rand Paul's on the right

Aides to Chris Christie and Rand Paul complain their work spaces look like bathrooms.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/campaigns-gripe-over-greenrooms-at-third-gop-debate-215226

Oh man, this is so great.

There's no way there are enough "green rooms" to go around for these idiot fuckers anyway so what did they expect? Get pissed at your state Republican party chair if you're upset with the facilities arranged. :qq:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rygar201 posted:

Yo, this isn't true. Like it's just straight up not a thing. You shouldn't post obviously untrue bullshit.

So the increased Medicare Part B premiums are "untrue"?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
David Vitter didn't just go Willie Horton, he's gone double Horton.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

I love (read:hate) how every single election in this country is a referendum on Obama.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
My favorite BBQ is whatever's on the radio, played at a moderate volume.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

zoux posted:

I love (read:hate) how every single election in this country is a referendum on Obama.

It's still the best way to win an election for a Republican! Doesn't matter if I'm awful or not, I WILL FIGHT OBAMA and the other guy won't.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

They're all trying to tap into white angst and insecurity, "Fighting Obama" is just shorthand for "keeping white privilege intact".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

He really is a lovely guy that David Vitter, isn't he?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Proposition One would *cuts to slowly rotating bill in black and white* be just like voting to make Obama designate a percentage of the state motor vehicle sales tax to transportation funding.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SedanChair posted:

Trump is going to freak out as he realizes that he was just the flavor of the month. He's going to end up berating the American people for their stupidity, man it's going to be great.

Polling averages still have him far and away the favorite, beating Carson by 10 points and at an all time high of 32.5%

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radbot posted:

The budget deal they made addresses this.

Budget Deal Tackles Disability, Halts Medicare Premium Increase

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

From what little I can see from behind the paywall, it looks like premiums are increasing, just not for current beneficiaries and not this year. So I'm paying for it.

Rygar201 posted:

Yo, this isn't true. Like it's just straight up not a thing. You shouldn't post obviously untrue bullshit.

Got any evidence of that?

Radbot fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 28, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Radbot posted:

From what little I can see from behind the paywall, it looks like premiums are increasing, just not for current beneficiaries and not this year. So I'm paying for it.

lol if you think medicare will exist when you are old enough to get it

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Trump is going to freak out as he realizes that he was just the flavor of the month.

Five months. And counting.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 28, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

showbiz_liz posted:

Five months. And counting.

Eh, so the pattern is a little different. Give me this.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

And despite three elections showing how dumb it is to do so, democrats will continue to run away from him.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Radbot posted:

They were /going/ to increase regardless. Like had there been no deal, they would have gone up anyway. What the deal does is smooth the curve out for how quickly they go up so that people don't see huge spikes like they would have HAD THERE BEEN NO OTHER deal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

And despite three elections showing how dumb it is to do so, democrats will continue to run away from him.

They are cowards.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They were /going/ to increase regardless. Like had there been no deal, they would have gone up anyway. What the deal does is smooth the curve out for how quickly they go up so that people don't see huge spikes like they would have HAD THERE BEEN NO OTHER deal.

Oh, OK. That seems a bit different than "obviously untrue".

I wonder what those premiums will look like in 35 years.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Radbot posted:

Oh, OK. That seems a bit different than "obviously untrue".

I wonder what those premiums will look like in 35 years.

No one can tell you that with a straight face because health care costs are exceptionally hard to predict.

For anyone who's interested in health care policy broadly, and more specifically ACA and Entitlements, I cannot recommend Stephen Brill's book any stronger.

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Bitter-Pill-Politics-Healthcare/dp/0812986687

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radbot posted:

Demographic changes over time and the difficulty of addressing health cost curves mean you can't instantly fix something that will happen 30 years in the future, and instead requires a series of short term patches? Who knew!

quote:

Got any evidence of that?

So when provided with evidence of it being addressed you declare it isn't enough and demand more evidence. Well clearly you are interested in policy and not have already decided what reality will be and hewing. To that.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 28, 2015

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

dimebag dinkman posted:

Let's just let the word "impeach" complete its slide into generic synonym for "rebuke", choose some other word for the actual real-world process of impeachment and then not tell them what it is.

I suggest "Love," as in, the representative from Oklahoma demands Congress love Hillary.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

So when provided with evidence of it being addressed you declare it isn't enough and demand more evidence. Well clearly you are interested in policy and not have already decided what reality will be and hewing. To that.

I said that premiums were going up, I was called a liar and then was presented evidence that showed they were going up (just not this year and not to current beneficiaries, as if that's fair). I have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't understand why I'm going to have to pay a far greater share of my income towards Medicare just because of demographic changes, as if I had any control over that, and as if that's the only possible source of extra revenue. It's just a bit too coincidental that none of these changes affect Boomers at all, and smash Gen X/Y.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 28, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SedanChair posted:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2015/10/donald-trump-cnbc-debate-will-be-unfair-215243

quote:

"No, I don't expect the debate to be fair," Trump told POLITICO on Monday.

"After a great evening and packed auditorium in Iowa, I am now in Colorado looking forward to what I am sure will be a very unfair debate!" Trump tweeted on Wednesday morning, followed by ".@CNBC continues to report fictious poll numbers. Number one, based on every statistic, is Trump (by a wide margin). They just can't say it!"

I could see him really start to turn a lot of people off with a few weeks of this.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gravel Gravy posted:

Alabama's....mayonnaise based sauces are not ok.
Two pages back, but this must be said: Alabama's BBQ sauce is not that mayonnaise poo poo. We are a horrible state on our own without you needing to apply something some freaks in the northern tip of the state does to all of us.

I care too much about this.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Radbot posted:

I don't understand why I'm going to have to pay a far greater share of my income towards Medicare just because of demographic changes, as if I had any control over that, and as if that's the only possible source of extra revenue. It's just a bit too coincidental that none of these changes affect Boomers at all, and smash Gen X/Y.

What?

Their premiums are going up, too. Hell everyone's premiums are going up. I have an employee-sponsored plan, for example, and there's more than a good chance that my premiums are going to go up by 20-30% next year because out state budget is such a disaster.

Healthcare costs, in general, are going up because it's more expensive than ever. Having more sick people (and more older people) on medicare means that the cost of the program has gone up.

Where the hell do you think the revenue for that is going to come from?

Also Medicare is literally only for disabled individuals and retirees, so it's not "smashing Gen X/Y."

Medicaid is for low-income individuals.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 28, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Radbot posted:

Part B premium increases are averted by this deal, lackwit. The only Medicare changes are cuts on the provider side.

I love how the notion that costs increase over time is somehow an evil plot by Obummer and his Boomer Buddies.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 28, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rygar201 posted:

Part B premium increases are averted by this deal, lackwit. The only Medicare changes are cuts on the provider side.

I love how the notion that costs increase over time is somehow an evil plot by Obummer and his Boomer Buddies.

Averted, deferred, same difference. And costs increasing over time when wages aren't increasing is, in fact, a big deal.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also Medicare is literally only for disabled individuals and retirees, so it's not "smashing Gen X/Y."

I'm referring to what we're going to have to pay when we're eligible. Considering flat/negative Gen Y wages and the rate of healthcare premium increases, virtually no one will have enough money to pay for Medicare coverage in 35 years.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

a shameful boehner posted:

I saw one of those Mockingjay symbols sandwiched between TED CRUZ this morning on my way into work in Boulder.

It's coming.

:shepface:

What's up 28th street work travelling buddy! On my lunch I may try and take a picture to post since its not that far from me.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006

World Famous Whore posted:

Two pages back, but this must be said: Alabama's BBQ sauce is not that mayonnaise poo poo. We are a horrible state on our own without you needing to apply something some freaks in the northern tip of the state does to all of us.

I care too much about this.

Yeah I was wondering where this mystery mayo sauce came from since I've live here my whole life and never came across it.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Radbot posted:

I'm referring to what we're going to have to pay when we're eligible. Considering flat/negative Gen Y wages and the rate of healthcare premium increases, virtually no one will have enough money to pay for Medicare coverage in 35 years.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No one can tell you that with a straight face because health care costs are exceptionally hard to predict.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Radbot posted:

Averted, deferred, same difference. And costs increasing over time when wages aren't increasing is, in fact, a big deal.

Perhaps this is why higher minimum wages, a higher overtime threshold, etc are part of Obama's policy platform?

Nope, that shifty Negro needs to get his Government Hands off your Medicare!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

How are u posted:

I was smoking once a day for an extended period of time, got a new job that required a test, abstained for about 25 days and still failed two practice tests I got from CVS.

Ended up having to smuggle clean piss into the lab.

If the job hadn't required a background check as well, which took 30 days, and instead required me to drug test immediately upon being offered the position, I'd have been straight up hosed.

Yeah, the at-home tests are notoriously difficult to read correctly, and also have a pretty high failure/false-positive rate (~10-20%). My wife just went through basically the same thing, similar timespan and everything. She passed one at-home test, failed another one taken the same day, and the next day her official immunoassay was flagged as "possible positive" at the lab, only for it to come back full negative after further testing (GC/MS).

Essentially the immunoassay style of test is riddled with problems throughout the process of testing and reading, and has a high false-positive rate (even the best labs will admit their THC immunoassay has a ~5-10% FP rate).

Obviously the best course of action is to abstain for at least a month, while trying to hydrate and get exercise -- and also you can eat a high-fiber diet and poop out those metabolites in the fat cells!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Radbot posted:

You're trying to make an argument that is virtually impossible to make (1) and (2) trying to blame "boomers" when, really, healthcare /costs/ have skyrocketed for a lot of reasons.

here;s an example: my prescription coverage -- through an employer based plan -- went up around 6-7% as a result of adding hep c vaccination coverage -- because they cost, individually, something like $25k if you don't have insurance.

• Locked thread