Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

This is a fun game and as a terrible pubbie who so far has only played with terrible pubbies the community seems pretty alright for an online game. The only problem I've had was with one group who clearly knew each other, at the end of Horn they all suddenly ran off to sit on the scaffolding at the base of the horn and left me to get swarmed and die.

I need to figure out how to stop taking so much damage as soldier/dorf though, I feel like its my job to get up front with them and cover the rest of the party but Im probably rushing in too quickly and should position myself better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TheQat posted:

there was a tiny patch just now, did they fix the bp thing?

quote:

Patch 1.0.1.1
Changelog:

- Added Music Volume slider
- No longer possible to pick up potions unless dropping any held Grimoires first
- Fix for bots not using healing draughts in combat
- Fixed achievement "Balthasar Gelt"
- Various localization bugfixes
- Fixed issue causing level complete to not trigger
- Fixed various startup crashes
- Fixed a crash in particle system
- Fixed a crash in animation constraint system
- Fixed a crash in I/O system
- Fixed a crash in Audio System
- Potential fix for startup crashes

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In an MMO or PvP centric game something like the BP exploit would be unacceptable.

In a casual, PvE only team game who gives a gently caress. If you are a sane person whose life isn't ruled by loot you can just not do it and it will never have any effect on you.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Played it for the first time last night and had a hell of a time. We did the first mission and everyone just stood on the stairs near the horn and nobody was in any danger. Now today with pubbies everyone wanted to just hide on the stairs and cheese it in some retarded non fun way. Apparently i have autism for wanting to smash rats with a big hammer :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Played it for the first time last night and had a hell of a time. We did the first mission and everyone just stood on the stairs near the horn and nobody was in any danger. Now today with pubbies everyone wanted to just hide on the stairs and cheese it in some retarded non fun way. Apparently i have autism for wanting to smash rats with a big hammer :v:

People who buy games and then come up with elaborate means not to actually play their game puzzle me enormously. Always be hitting rats.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Elpato posted:

If you think "special sniper" when you think of the Elf, you might be that Elf.

Go try something that goes boom and tell me who the special snipers are.

Obviously the barkeep.

Shitposting aside though, going from normal to hard isn't that much of a difficulty jump. Also while waterfront has a guaranteed rat ogre spawn at the end, smuggler's run is slightly longer without a guaranteed spawn and without ledges you can get knocked off into water.

Snatch Duster posted:

For anyone on the fence and concerned paying full price, Hot Random Keys has the game for $22 along with 2 other random games.

https://www.hrkgame.com/hotdeals/warhammer-end-times-vermintide/

Tiler Kiwi posted:

lmao gamers are the worst

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I wish they did a 4-pack for this a la Left 4 Dead.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wish they did a 4-pack for this a la Left 4 Dead.

I was really surprised they didn't, it seemed obvious for a game built for four players. I would have bought one, even with just three people ready to go at the time.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

True, but the game also only cost $30 on steam and you can get the game for like $20 else where.

Black Powder Runs on nightmare are a cake walk but we tried to go up to cata and just couldn't do it. How are people farming it on cata?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By defeating the feeble Skaven brain with a stool.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Chomp8645 posted:

In an MMO or PvP centric game something like the BP exploit would be unacceptable.

In a casual, PvE only team game who gives a gently caress. If you are a sane person whose life isn't ruled by loot you can just not do it and it will never have any effect on you.

the problem becomes when playing with strangers it becomes expected to go along with it because if you don't you get kicked, and it artificially inflates what people expect your gear to be like

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

I was really surprised they didn't, it seemed obvious for a game built for four players. I would have bought one, even with just three people ready to go at the time.

Apparently Valve just isn't doing 4 packs anymore

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

It did count all 4 tomes at the end but crashed when it got to the cursed dice. I still got the loot though. We did it a few more times and the fourth tome was always there.

Maybe someone duplicated it with that trinket?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

That Italian Guy posted:

Thats's cool! On what kind of timezone are you in?

GMT, usually on from 7:00 until I fancy switching something up or heading out to stretch my legs.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the grey seer shittalks you if you die

BRING ME HIS BEARD

I was really, really sad that there isn't actually a bossfight with him. I wanted to smash his face in with a hammer. Even if he was just a normal rat in a fight and it was just you smashing your way through a crowd of rats to get to him and then bonking him on the face (the energy shield he has means you can't shoot him) it'd be more satisfying than "hah, he falls and dies, you win"

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Mikojan posted:

Maybe someone duplicated it with that trinket?

Nah, poo poo's bugged. Game spawns a 4th apparently.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, kinda sad really.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Might be related to the refund system?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BadLlama posted:

True, but the game also only cost $30 on steam and you can get the game for like $20 else where.
Yeah certainly not a deal-breaker or anything. I bought one extra copy for a friend so far, but a 4-pack would have pushed me to probably buy more.

Well that sucks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

President Ark posted:

the problem becomes when playing with strangers it becomes expected to go along with it because if you don't you get kicked, and it artificially inflates what people expect your gear to be like

I mean it's not like you can tell what everyone else is carrying, just lie and say you have full oranges if someone bitches at you.

But yes, gamers are The Worst. God these devs are fixing game-shattering crash bugs and not being able to finish levels rather than scrub-bait exploits, what are they doing

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

dogstile posted:

I was really, really sad that there isn't actually a bossfight with him. I wanted to smash his face in with a hammer. Even if he was just a normal rat in a fight and it was just you smashing your way through a crowd of rats to get to him and then bonking him on the face (the energy shield he has means you can't shoot him) it'd be more satisfying than "hah, he falls and dies, you win"

on the other hand, seeing as skaven are Starscream: The Species and grey seers are The Most Starscream, having him die by falling into a pit offscreen instead of you personally murdering him opens the way for him to return as a character later - either a boss fight or whatever

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mean it's not like you can tell what everyone else is carrying, just lie and say you have full oranges if someone bitches at you.

Orange gear is visually distinct, so yes they can tell, at least, if you have orange weapons or not.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Musluk posted:

Obviously the barkeep.

Shitposting aside though, going from normal to hard isn't that much of a difficulty jump. Also while waterfront has a guaranteed rat ogre spawn at the end, smuggler's run is slightly longer without a guaranteed spawn and without ledges you can get knocked off into water.

Why is posting a good deal considered bad, or am I missing something?

Also, you can do Engines of War on nightmare in 15 minutes with full grim/tome. The trick is, you probably guessed it, booking it through the map and then fighting in the basement.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

sushibandit posted:

Orange gear is visually distinct, so yes they can tell, at least, if you have orange weapons or not.

I mean sure if they really glare at you and have knowledge of everything, but it's not like you can just easily inspect a "gear score" or something.

Or at least I never notice people's gear, maybe I'm just not a gear sperglord like some pubbies are

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Got a blue hammer and shield for the dorf with Bloodlust and the chance to not lose Stamina on block. My buddy got a blue mace and shield on Kruber with 8.5% bloodlust and extra push.

Now that's a good rat stick.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Musluk posted:

Obviously the barkeep.

I really like Man the Ramparts as well. Granted, it has several Storm Vermins, but they're mostly staggered (you get 5 or so before entering the tower and 2 at every node) and you can 1hit kill at least one each time since they're just standing still. I also don't think I've ever seen a Ratogre spawn in it? And sending rats flying down the ramparts with a shield bash is priceless.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The problem with the BP exploit is that it leads to pubbies running only it. People will chase loot like their lives depended on it, so of course they will run the fastest loot-to-time ratio mission available. This in turn kills off any other far more interesting maps from the circuit as people exploit BP until they get bored and quit.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

An Elf pubbie just tried to kick me from the game for duping items with my 8% dupe chance trinket, then almost immediately proceeded to get surrounded and die. He left the game in shame, taking our progress with him because he was hosting.

Game before that we had to 3-man 90% of the mission because a different Elf pubbie kept running off a million miles ahead of the group (to snipe with his bow), only to die to packmasters/assassins every time.

Elves.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 28, 2015

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Vargs posted:

An Elf pubbie just tried to kick me from the game for duping items with my 8% dupe chance trinket, then almost immediately proceeded to get surrounded and die. He then left the game in shame, taking our progress with him because he was hosting.

Elves.

Elves come in two flavours: The idiot Legolas that gets murdered off screen and then quits, and the tryhard sperglord that has a fit if people don't do exactly as they said, run off alone because they are "that good" then die and ragequit.

You'd be surprised just how much banning the elf does to get chill and good people into your games.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've run Garden of Morr a few times now and I like it. Its a nice change of pace from Horn of Magnus and it feels easier IMO. Plus it has more wide open areas for fighting the Rat Ogre, more interesting scenery, and it isn't Horn of Magnus, which I'm a bit sick of.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I did that and got five brightwizards who just would not stop overheating.

Yes, we get it, fire, boom boom, gently caress you.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

People who buy games and then come up with elaborate means not to actually play their game puzzle me enormously. Always be hitting rats.

Yeah, it's one thing to run an exploit a few times just to game the system a bit. That's pretty normal human behavior. It's a completely different thing to run something for 16+ hours because your need for loot or something far exceeds your ability to have fun ;).

I pine for the days of playing games for fun. :allears:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

President Ark posted:

Who cares. It's a specific exploit on one map, it's not like it's a general problem that is affecting every level. Just don't play Black Powder for a bit until they fix it.

It just really seems like an easily avoidable thing to me.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I wish they'd have more pronounced sound cues for the special rats, and more recognizable items. I mean, I know what the thing is once I've picked it up but before then it's just some small potion on the ground. Some color coding would go a long way.

I'm sure being new to the game is a part of it too, though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I want to grind BP so I can get weapons I want for classes I want so I can actually play

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
But the default loadouts are pretty serviceable for easy-hard unless you're super nit-picky on something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gortarius posted:

I wish they'd have more pronounced sound cues for the special rats, and more recognizable items. I mean, I know what the thing is once I've picked it up but before then it's just some small potion on the ground. Some color coding would go a long way.

I'm sure being new to the game is a part of it too, though.

The specials do have pretty obvious sound cues once you learn what to listen for.

I'd say the most subtle of them is the Pack-rat/Hook-rat. His audio cues are the jangling of bones and a sort of odd throaty noise that sounds to me, vaguely like a turky gobble.

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

Random Integer posted:

This is a fun game and as a terrible pubbie who so far has only played with terrible pubbies the community seems pretty alright for an online game. The only problem I've had was with one group who clearly knew each other, at the end of Horn they all suddenly ran off to sit on the scaffolding at the base of the horn and left me to get swarmed and die.

I need to figure out how to stop taking so much damage as soldier/dorf though, I feel like its my job to get up front with them and cover the rest of the party but Im probably rushing in too quickly and should position myself better.

I can't say what's going on in your case, but I honestly didn't give the charged shield bash as much as I should have and didn't get that I shouldn't just push like crazy (I still do against Storm vermin though in between axe hits). Someone mentioned it in this thread and I've been spamming it like crazy since then. I use an axe shield combo on the dwarf and its helped an insane amount.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Charged shield attacks are awesome. You don't need to fully charge them either.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I probably kill more things with my shields than the axes/hammers/maces/swords that go with them.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Hatastrophe posted:

I can't say what's going on in your case, but I honestly didn't give the charged shield bash as much as I should have and didn't get that I shouldn't just push like crazy (I still do against Storm vermin though in between axe hits). Someone mentioned it in this thread and I've been spamming it like crazy since then. I use an axe shield combo on the dwarf and its helped an insane amount.

Personally i dislike the charged attack on shield + weapon items, they seem to have a really weird hitbox and wonky hit detection. Sometimes you can hit anything up to five meters in front of you and other times you wont even hit the rat standing right under your nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

BombiTheZombie posted:

Elves come in two flavours: The idiot Legolas that gets murdered off screen and then quits, and the tryhard sperglord that has a fit if people don't do exactly as they said, run off alone because they are "that good" then die and ragequit.

You'd be surprised just how much banning the elf does to get chill and good people into your games.

• Locked thread