Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Krogort posted:

Just wait till you try the Karlsruhe.

8 poo poo guns that have no hope of penning anything
11km maximum range
28 kts top speed
As much survivability as a phoenix
Useless torpedoes
No Anti Air

So pretty much exactly the same as the Kolberg, except -1 gun per broadside and +2km range? loving joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I've been playing every night and I still haven't seen the Halloween botes. How many rounds does it take on average?

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Sperglord Actual posted:

I've been playing every night and I still haven't seen the Halloween botes. How many rounds does it take on average?

I'm actually completely unsure. On the events release I had four matches on one day, since then nothing. Seems to be completely random and luck based.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Over at the forums, someone managed to data mine that stats for the guns. I found this part amusing:

code:
                 Name                 |   Speed   | Diamm |  Damage  |   Mass   |  Krupp   |   Nation   | Ships
--------------------------------------|-----------|-------|----------|----------|----------|------------|------ - - -
152 mm AP/SC Mk27 mod. 5              | 914.00kts | 152mm |     3100 |       48 |     1772 | U.S.A.     | Phoenix, Marblehead, Marblehead Lima, Omaha
152 mm AP/SC Mk27 mod. 8              | 914.00kts | 152mm |     3100 |       48 |     2692 | U.S.S.R.   | Murmansk
Better Krupp means better armor penetration. :ussr:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Danann posted:

Over at the forums, someone managed to data mine that stats for the guns. I found this part amusing:

code:
                 Name                 |   Speed   | Diamm |  Damage  |   Mass   |  Krupp   |   Nation   | Ships
--------------------------------------|-----------|-------|----------|----------|----------|------------|------ - - -
152 mm AP/SC Mk27 mod. 5              | 914.00kts | 152mm |     3100 |       48 |     1772 | U.S.A.     | Phoenix, Marblehead, Marblehead Lima, Omaha
152 mm AP/SC Mk27 mod. 8              | 914.00kts | 152mm |     3100 |       48 |     2692 | U.S.S.R.   | Murmansk
Better Krupp means better armor penetration. :ussr:

They changed the Omaha and Marblehead AP a while ago, I think before the Marblehead event. I guess they just decided not to change premiums.
The Murmansk guns over penetrate all the time though, I'm not sure how much of an advantage that is.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Sperglord Actual posted:

I saw my first one last night. Not sure what they're supposed to mean though. Our team won. I don't think we got anything for it.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

I saw my first one last night. Not sure what they're supposed to mean though. Our team won. I don't think we got anything for it.

Every monday they dish out prizes for people who won spooky Halloween event matches. It's like 10 of the XP flags, 10 credit flags, and some other flags I can't remember. 10 for each victory against spooky ships.

Fergus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 27, 2015

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I really dont know what to make of this game. I've got a Wyoming and Im trying missions but I can't seem to get anywhere. I can aim my AP shots but this thing's like a loving shotgun, I get gradually whittled down by Karlsruhes and Phoenixes from long range. Half the time when long range shots seem to land on an enemy's deck I do no damage. And just now I got murdered by torpedos seeming to come out of loving nowhere - literally, I was sailing across an open bay in a match with no carriers and no enemies either side in sight (or smoke clouds) and these things were just appearing in waves, seemingly from the far shore.

The randomness is so frustrating. I'll have occasional cames where I'll get three of four kills but the majority I do no damage or get torn up by people who can see me from miles further off than they can.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Many destroyers can fire torpedoes further than you can see them from. Always make changes in course every so often.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

The Wyoming feels like a precision machine to me after the South Carolina but I know what you mean. I usually use HE until I get under 10km with other battleships then switch to AP, switching back if destroyers get closer.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
The shell travel time on the Yorck makes it an interesting little minigame just to be able to hit a target that is further than 10km out. It's absolutely infuriating. How supertesters let this one through I will never understand

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Fergus posted:

The shell travel time on the Yorck makes it an interesting little minigame just to be able to hit a target that is further than 10km out. It's absolutely infuriating. How supertesters let this one through I will never understand

Wargaming loves having a line have a stinker in it I think. The fire rate is ok at least?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Fergus posted:

Every monday they dish out prizes for people who won spooky Halloween event matches. It's like 10 of the XP flags, 10 credit flags, and some other flags I can't remember. 10 for each victory against spooky ships.

Oh I thought I didn't get a prize because I called the person piloting the spooky carrier a mouth breathing moron. They're all terrible at the game and there's always spelling mistakes in the chat announcements they make.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Wargaming loves having a line have a stinker in it I think. The fire rate is ok at least?

Yeah the fire rate is admirable. Don't get me wrong the Yorck can do some massive amounts of damage and with rapid succession, but only within pretty close distances and if they are showing you their broadside.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
5.1 notes are up for public test tomorrow. They're increasing the AP pen German tier 2,3, and 4.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Victor Surge posted:

They're increasing the AP pen German tier 2,3, and 4.

Now that people have burned their free XP to skip these piles of crap.
Stronk russian business

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Today I learned that a Tirpitz can citadel an Izumo at ~12km. Got 4 citadels on one and killed him from full health.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Can I get some Tirpitz tips?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Just started playing this since Friday and began with German cruisers because why not. The Karlsruhe is so annoying to grind through it hurts. I've been one-shotted by so many BS and it has gently caress all range. I did better with the Dresden. Will suffer the 6k exp I have left to get a ship I can hide behind battleships with. For now it's just me failing at rock-paper-scissors.

I am unbelievably bad at this game holy poo poo.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 28, 2015

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

School Nickname posted:

Just started playing this since Friday and began with German cruisers because why not. The Karlsruhe is so annoying to grind through it hurts. I've been one-shotted by so many BS and it has gently caress all range. I did better with the Dresden. Will suffer the 6k exp I have left to get a ship I can hide behind battleships with. For now it's just me failing at rock-paper-scissors.

I am unbelievably bad at this game holy poo poo.

Give up on broadsides when driving a Karl. You only gain two guns, and give away free shots at your cardboard sides. The best approach Karl has to pretty much any situation is to be approaching it head on at moderate speed, or running directly away from it. You get 4 guns to annoy your target with while keeping your profile small, and only need to wiggle about 15 degrees in either direction to launch a torpedo.

Karl's a poo poo boat either way, but if played very defensively she can survive long enough to scrape up some points. If you can endure Karl long enough to get mediocre at Karl, every other boat will be paradise.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Danann posted:

Over at the forums, someone managed to data mine that stats for the guns.

Unsurprisingly, the 102mm guns on the Kolberg have the worst AP penetration in the game.

Second worst? Karlsruhe.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
The one nice thing about the Karlsruhe is the torpedo angles. It can pretty much fire straight ahead and behind. It's good for surprising stuff close range.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Thanks for your advice, Raving Loon! I was the second last person to die horribly instead of the second! :toot:

deratomicdog posted:

The one nice thing about the Karlsruhe is the torpedo angles. It can pretty much fire straight ahead and behind. It's good for surprising stuff close range.

I've actually managed to charge battleships and take one or two down using the torps. From now on I'm just gonna kite and zig-zag.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
Who are the three tirpitz guys platooned up?
I'm assuming they're Goons based on one of their names

Fergus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 28, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

So pretty much exactly the same as the Kolberg, except -1 gun per broadside and +2km range? loving joy.

Well the guns are 6 inch guns instead of 4 inch guns, so they are actually quite a bit more effective. But still not really good or anything. Its definitely the worst tier IV in the game.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

School Nickname posted:

Thanks for your advice, Raving Loon! I was the second last person to die horribly instead of the second! :toot:

I've actually managed to charge battleships and take one or two down using the torps. From now on I'm just gonna kite and zig-zag.

These lessons will serve you well in the later German cruisers - you get the speed and range to engage and disengage from whoever you like, and guns that fire actual bullets, but you are still made of paper.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I have a lingering feeling that a not-insignificant percentage of new players make it to tier 3 and 4 ships while playing only co-op and never realize it.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Pacra posted:

I have a lingering feeling that a not-insignificant percentage of new players make it to tier 3 and 4 ships while playing only co-op and never realize it.

SHUT UP YOU DONT KNOW ME!

I totally did

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 28, 2015

Orgytron
Aug 11, 2007
What's the deal with ranked battles? Aside from limiting tiers to 6 and 7(?), is there anything else different about them? If I happen to be grinding at those tier levels, is there any reason to not just do ranked?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

They sure put a lot of thought into this Halloween event. If it triggers on Big Race, the attacking team's carrier will spawn on the enemy side of the map. :wtc:

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I really love watching my stats drop and drop with every game I play in the Yorck. I just don't get it. It doesn't reflect my skill level at ALL!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Orgytron posted:

What's the deal with ranked battles? Aside from limiting tiers to 6 and 7(?), is there anything else different about them? If I happen to be grinding at those tier levels, is there any reason to not just do ranked?

Teams are locked in at 7 vs. 7, as opposed to the usual 12 vs. 12. All matches are also Domination, though generally having one less cap point than usual, and there's a limited selection of maps(though several more are being added in 5.1). In addition, the cap points needed to win is reduced to 800 as opposed to 1000, though I believe this is going to change next season. As anyone who's gotten into one of the weirdly sized matches that occasionally pop up in standard play can attest, cap points are far less important when teams are significantly smaller - though still relevant. Also, there aren't many CVs in ranked, due to the match structure resulting in a meta of teams generally moving together and thus having interlocking AA coverage - along with Clevelands and Atlantas being fairly common. When someone is broken off, it's usually a destroyer or cruiser - neither of which are particularly favored targets for a CV. The smaller team size also means there's generally less need for aircraft scouting, as teams are usually close together to begin with.

Note that due to the lower team sizes, battleships are definitely the most common ship type in ranked, as opposed to cruisers, as the lower team sizes means those potential huge alphas are that much more effective at reducing the enemy team. Not that cruisers aren't still important, as they can do many things well, but the meta definitely favors battleships at the moment.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 28, 2015

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there a good way to deal with torpedo bombers in a battleship when they catch you on your own? I can never out maneuver all of the torps, even if im sailing directly away from them the thing turns too slow. do you just have to constantly watch them and hope they dont swerve to drop them at a funny angle?

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 28, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is there a good way to deal with torpedo bombers in a battleships when they catch you on your own? I can never out maneuver all of the torps, even if im sailing directly away from them the thing turns too slow. do you just have to constantly watch them and hope they dont swerve to drop them at a funny angle?

The answer is that you shouldn't be able to outmaneuver all of the torps when you're on your own in a battleship. Watch them coming, play with your speed, and turn into the planes as soon as you can, and you can minimise the damage, but never avoid all of it - especially against the tight pattern of US torp bombers. Turning into the planes, rather than away, has a better chance of screwing up the firing solution, and maybe forcing the planes into embarassing go-arounds to get back to the edge of the circle, which can buy you time to shoot more of them down.

Avoiding all of it requires you to not be alone, either fighters or a cruiser popping the AA skill to cause torpedo dispersion.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 28, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Yea just don't get caught on your own in a BB. Always try to be within range of friendly crusiers. If all your support ships are bad and die, then you probably werent going to win anyways.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
People are saying there's an undocumented change to the gun skills in test so it only applies to 130mm or less instead of 155mm.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Victor Surge posted:

People are saying there's an undocumented change to the gun skills in test so it only applies to 130mm or less instead of 155mm.

I refuse to believe that Wargaming.net would ever make undocumented changes in a patch, they never have before

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Victor Surge posted:

Those skills are already pretty useless as it is with the low-caliber restriction. Why make it even worse?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Those skills are already pretty useless as it is with the low-caliber restriction. Why make it even worse?

:qq: My Mogami!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
I swear, sometime the team decides you are gonna lose, no matter what you do.

Got the Fuso and both New Yorks nearly solo, finished of their Aoba and bombed their Farragut and Omaha down to 1/10th of their HP.

Highest XP of all ships in the match, on a loss. Thats a first. :negative: