Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That Works posted:

Due to the sale I picked up Command: Northern Inferno to see if I would like it before thinking about getting the full game in the future.

While there are tutorials built into the game is there any good recommendations from the thread for either a tutorial video or website for someone who has never touched the game in their life nor ever played Harpoon? I know a ton about military hardware stuff / know most of the acronyms and what stuff does, just don't have any intuitive knowledge of the controls or the map symbols etc. Lots to process at once for someone opening it up for the 1st time.

The game itself links to Baloogan's video tutorials. They're what sold the game to me, and are also good for learning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Works posted:

Due to the sale I picked up Command: Northern Inferno to see if I would like it before thinking about getting the full game in the future.

While there are tutorials built into the game is there any good recommendations from the thread for either a tutorial video or website for someone who has never touched the game in their life nor ever played Harpoon? I know a ton about military hardware stuff / know most of the acronyms and what stuff does, just don't have any intuitive knowledge of the controls or the map symbols etc. Lots to process at once for someone opening it up for the 1st time.

Paging Baloogan.

Efb

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Pharnakes posted:

Given their respective past records, I don't think that was ever really at question was it?

The first game was good, the second was really good. This new one, well, Alikchi is underselling it in my opinion.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The game itself links to Baloogan's video tutorials. They're what sold the game to me, and are also good for learning it.

Yeah was looking at those, it kept linking me to an ASW one first which jumped right into a lot of stuff, is there a beginning / overview tutorial or do I just need to soak up a bunch of them for a while and go from there?

Thanks by the way.

I guess this is probably it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddhTe4skXdk

Wasn't part of the playlist linked from the game though.

That Works fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 27, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd watch this as a good introduction. It's Baloogan playing through a scenario, and he uses most of the functionality you'd expect to use in the game. It's also more entertaining than a normal tutorial.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
What I've been interested in finding from CMANO is a deep dive into tactics, but I haven't found that yet.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is a good video of the first NI mission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSzhkp3mlE

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Quite few videos on youtube, just to help you figure out the the general 'flow' of the game. If you do have any questions I've assembled a great group of Command experts in this chatroom.

Command does assume that folks understand NTDS symbols, might be an idea to switch the game from NTDS to symbolic symbols in the options.

pthighs posted:

What I've been interested in finding from CMANO is a deep dive into tactics, but I haven't found that yet.

I'd highly recommend: Fleet Tactics and Coastal Combat http://www.amazon.ca/Fleet-Tactics-Coastal-Combat-Hughes/dp/1557503923

For modern 'oh poo poo china is gonna ballistis missile my carriers from 1000 miles out' tactics: Anti-Access Warfare: Countering A2/AD Strategies http://www.amazon.ca/Anti-Access-Warfare-Countering-A2-Strategies/dp/1612511864/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EHCWS1JCQXBTYHW0DPD

I had planned to cover Fleet Tactics and Coastal Combat in a video series but never found the time.

Alikchi posted:

I dont think I'll get in trouble for breaking the beta NDA to say that the coming Barbarossa Decisive Campaigns game is amazing and will probably blow WITE out of the water. Everyone should get it.

I am so looking forward to that, love VR Designs. Also I think I owe some guys a turn in our ATG game...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I went to Matrix's forums to look up new Command Scenarios.....and The Operational Art of War IV is being made?

Is it a real true sequel or just TOAW III with mods and some coding, but the essentially the same game? You know comically bad naval engine where the North Koreans sink a US Carrier group.

I'm just astonished...well okay maybe not as much as if a sequel for Age of Rifles was made.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

gfanikf posted:

TOAW III with mods and some coding, but the essentially the same game

This is what I've heard.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

COOL CORN posted:

This is what I've heard.

They are asking for people to submit their TOAW 3 scenarios for inclusion in TOAW 4, so yep, it's going to be the same old game.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3898970

OTOH at least they seem to be intent on fixing some of the navy stuff:

quote:

I’ll now try to encapsulate TOAW IV’s new features, without going into too much detail.

I. There are a number of new naval warfare features. If you’ve seen my AARs on my Jutland 1916, Denmark Straits 1941, Pearl Harbor 1941, and Midway 1942 scenarios, you’ll have seen some hints about some of this.

• The modeling of ships has been improved. Instead of treating ships as a single piece of equipment, like a gun or a squad, they are now treated as complex systems that incur damage in combat. Only upon incurring 100 damage points will a ship be destroyed. Damage levels less than 100 affect a number of the ship’s strengths. Ships have new armor, durability, accuracy, speed, and agility parameters. These are either derived from strength and flag values, or explicitly set by the designer in a new naval equipment file. There is limited ability to repair damage at sea and significantly more in port.

• Embarked units no longer employ their own strengths in defense. Now those are fixed appropriate for a naval transport. Damage inflicted on embarked units destroys that weight of embarked equipment.

• Naval combat now evaluates attackers’ Anti-Naval strengths as individual shots/planes – employing their shell weights to determine armor penetration and resulting damage. This includes the chances of critical hits. Damage incurred is shown in the Combat Report and Unit Report.

Sea Interdiction can now be employed by aircraft, ships, and coastal guns. There is a new Sea Interdiction mission for air units to do so. Ship and coastal guns do so automatically. Ships subjected to sea interdiction fire counterbattery back (or, in the case of carriers, counterstrikes).

• Group movement of naval units causes them to defend together if interdicted – forming an “ad hoc” task force.

• Ships and embarked units are subject to Sea Spotting, in addition to normal recon methods. There is surface spotting done by naval units at sea and land units on coastal hexes. And there is air spotting by air units set to Sea Interdiction or Air Superiority. Most such spotting is dynamic – like a land unit entering a peak hex. Presence of radar is modeled via the All Weather flag.

• Ships skirting the coastline no longer reveal land units along the coast.

• Naval targeting is modeled so that ships in a target hex are prioritized for attack by value.

• There is a Port Attack option to allow ships in port to be focused on.

So at least there is a tiny chance that the navy part of the game isn't the pitiful joke that it used to be. Still I wonder how it took so long for devs to recognize that maybe coastal batteries ought to react to enemy fleets sailing past them.

edit: no mention of sea mines and minesweepers, though. :mad:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 28, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Wasn't IV supposed to be a huge patch for III until it was promoted to being a "sequel"?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Maybe AA will finally work out of the box in this version?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

gfanikf posted:

So I went to Matrix's forums to look up new Command Scenarios.....and The Operational Art of War IV is being made?

Is it a real true sequel or just TOAW III with mods and some coding, but the essentially the same game? You know comically bad naval engine where the North Koreans sink a US Carrier group.

I'm just astonished...well okay maybe not as much as if a sequel for Age of Rifles was made.

Well, I mean it isn't impossible. Just really, really unlikely.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Koesj posted:

Maybe AA will finally work out of the box in this version?

The most recent patch for TOAW3 already makes AA work.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for a slow paced WW2 multiplayer game? I'm thinking something like WitP/WitE to play with my buddy. Something we could do in our free time when we can drop in and play for a bit. Perhaps something where we both don't need to be there (turn based?).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On one hand hey functional naval warfare...well slightly functional on the other a patch bring resold as a sequel...bleh.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Popete posted:

Any recommendations for a slow paced WW2 multiplayer game? I'm thinking something like WitP/WitE to play with my buddy. Something we could do in our free time when we can drop in and play for a bit. Perhaps something where we both don't need to be there (turn based?).

Decisive Campaigns - Warsaw to Paris / Case Blue / Barbarossa
For mobile I would have recommended Battle of the Bulge but Slitherine hosed over the mobile version something fierce when they put out the PC version and I don't know if they've fixed it yet.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

uPen posted:

Decisive Campaigns - Warsaw to Paris / Case Blue / Barbarossa
For mobile I would have recommended Battle of the Bulge but Slitherine hosed over the mobile version something fierce when they put out the PC version and I don't know if they've fixed it yet.

Battle Academy 2 is pretty good for some asynchronous multiplayer. It's a bit more advanced than beer and pretzels.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone stream grognard games with much regularity? I'm watching the Slitheren stream of Germany Reforged now and it is nice to see people who know what they are doing go through these games.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
One of my friends, Kushan, streams a couple times a week https://www.twitch.tv/Kushan04

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Someone needs to play a PBEM game of WITE with me, cause it has been months since I last played and my skills will only have improved.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Anyone know what the password is for the Fulda Frontier of Freedom scenario in Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm?

I think it comes with the base game but for some reason it's password protected :iiam:

You can view/edit it but there's no "Save As" option, so it's kinda screwed.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pimpmust posted:

Anyone know what the password is for the Fulda Frontier of Freedom scenario in Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm?

I think it comes with the base game but for some reason it's password protected :iiam:

You can view/edit it but there's no "Save As" option, so it's kinda screwed.

Yay! Another Red Storm player!

To answer your question: I have no idea. Have you tried the Slithirine forums? Also the scenario designer is, weirdly, really good at responding to questions on the steam forums.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I suppose I could get around it if I could just start up a new scenario from scratch by loading in that particular map, but the editor is kinda obtuse and I haven't found a way to do that yet.

e: Figured it out, in the scenario editor instead of doing anything with the huge list of scenarios that's on the left side, click "next" down in the bottom (no "New Scenario" button) and then fill in all the minimum things required to save a scenario which is like a list of 5 things (...yeah). The game doesn't allow you to save non-functional scenarios.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 1, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In CMANO what's the easiest way to order planes 'get in the air and fly in circles here and do nothing else until I tell you otherwise'?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
You can create a support mission called "Marshall point" or something where you want them to loiter, then as you assign aircraft to that mission they will take off and wait there.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alchenar posted:

In CMANO what's the easiest way to order planes 'get in the air and fly in circles here and do nothing else until I tell you otherwise'?

Launch them as single aircraft or as a group as you like, and once they launch, select them, press F3, and click where you want then to go.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

My scenario creation adventure has run into another hurdle, turns out the editor gets mighty unstable once you hit a certain counter point, 2ish brigades worth per side. Sigh.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Made a post on their steam forum and got a dev response after like 20 minutes :toot:

After sending over the scenario file however he gave the following answer:

quote:

Cap'n Darwin [developer]
I will chat with Rob tonight, but the error is the game running short/out of graphics handles with the extreme count of units and markers on the map. I would suggest that you back off on the number of units. Right now you may have three to four times the amount of units that would reside on a map of that size.

Once I get more information on the max count I'll let you know.

You can't cut back on the number of units! You will regret this! :ussr:

So apparently my hunch was correct (of the number of issues you can run into like this, running out of graphics handles is pretty funny) and it seems the editor has issues if you try spawning large formations near the bottom or corners of the map, as it autostacks units and makes the whole thing unstable.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Why would you want that many units with that game's interface :gonk:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well the thing is that 75% of those units don't start the scenario activated, but come active over several hours as reinforcements as the original formations end up destroyed. Sadly the engine is... well:

"Cap'n Darwin [developer posted:

"]It's the number of counters and markers not the map. We have a big map coming with the Germany Reforged DLC in a few weeks.

The question for Rob tonight is how many is too many and what can be done to warn players they are getting close.

In your case think of all the kill markers and craters that will also be generated. That's a lot of stuff beating up on our 32bit DX7 supported graphics engine. :)

I'm getting my grog :dong: on now

And responding to my "activation" idea:

"Cap'n Darwin [developer posted:

"]
Good plan and we will have to see what we can do within the limits of the current code and tools. This may amp up the need to move Southern Storm to a newer graphics engine if we can. It's been discussed, but other items are in the pipeline ahead of it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's almost like they're idiot savants you can't get mad at because they just don't loving know. Holy poo poo.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

DX7 came out in '99 by the way.

But hey, this story is has a funny ending!

I got a VOIP call on steam by a grognard that followed my discussion with the dev and uh now I'm in a PBEM game and holding off his Soviet horde, help :ohdear:

Oh, and he ended up fixing my scenario (at least less crash-happy) by removing a brigade or two. From the dev it sounds like they are going to put in some sort of warning message once you start hitting a certain number of counters the game engine supports (I'd guess somewhere between 200-400? Vague, because the game only displays points worth and not the number of counters in a scenario).

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just saw this pop up http://store.steampowered.com/app/400470/ - Kind of a 'Total War: Seven Years War' style game. Anyone played it?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Naval search is essential in WITP.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You look like a hard man to sneak up on. I am also really jealous of all your floatplane squads, the IJN is infuriatingly short on flying boat naval search units and you end out having to use Betty/Nell to cover huge areas of the front.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
WitP has taught me that what Japan really needed was a 2E flying boat. The fact that the allies get the 2E Catalina and don't even have to pay for it is just adding insult to injury.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Don't they have the Mavis or something? I can understand an aversion to the Emily because of engine usage but I love the sucker anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Mavis is smaller than the Emily but still has 4 engines. On the plus side it looks like a banana.