Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
TOS is campy fun but that's about all it has going for it and definitely isnt actually legitimately good TV. better than voyager but that is ruthless damning w/ faint praise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

:agreed:

If I was Flox I would have been so pissed off at Tucker for rejecting my wife's advances I wouldn't have invited him to the annual camping trip I go on with my wives other husbands.

Clearly Phlox wasn't around humans to realise all he had to do to get Tucker to bang his wife is to question his sexuality.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've never really thought about it before but phlox os the antineelix. Hes just affable and pretty chill. Not annoying and non pedo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nathilus posted:

I've never really thought about it before but phlox os the antineelix. Hes just affable and pretty chill. Not annoying and non pedo.

And he can do this:

That's pretty much the best alien quirk ever. Way better than the Andorian antennae wiggle or the vulcan eyebrow raise.

You heard me!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angela Christine posted:

the vulcan eyebrow raise.

You don't have to be Vulcan to do that.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Ambrose Burnside posted:

TOS is campy fun but that's about all it has going for it and definitely isnt actually legitimately good TV. better than voyager but that is ruthless damning w/ faint praise

TV Shows can have a timeless, enduring quality to them, but they need to be judged based on when they came out and what came before. You sound like the people in my film class who said Casablanca and Citizen Kane are cliched.

:shepface: What is this based on?

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 28, 2015

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

And he can do this:

That's pretty much the best alien quirk ever. Way better than the Andorian antennae wiggle or the vulcan eyebrow raise.

You heard me!

T'Pol can do all this with her boobs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

No, but it's something every vulcan does. Which still beats the Klingon quirk of 'be angry'.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

My Q-Face posted:

:shepface: What is this based on?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692430

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So I've just watched Scorpio, and I was genuinely happy when I saw Seven. I think it was the first emotion I felt in all 3 seasons of Voyager.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Angela Christine posted:

No, but it's something every vulcan does. Which still beats the Klingon quirk of 'be angry'.

Riker and klingons is a perfect combo tho its like red beans and rice.

"One, or both?"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

My Q-Face posted:

TV Shows can have a timeless, enduring quality to them, but they need to be judged based on when they came out and what came before. You sound like the people in my film class who said Casablanca and Citizen Kane are cliched.

Yeah I feel like it's not fair to judge it by the standards of today but by those standards it is still super campy. I've caught a few episodes here and there and it's fun.

It's certainly less corny and more ambitious than like every 40s-50s scifi film I can think of, though.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Way better than the Andorian antennae wiggle

Hey buddy.

gently caress you.

Edit: fight me pinkskin.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
datas day is objectively the best episode of TNG

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ambrose Burnside posted:

No actually

TOS is Cool and Good

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

It always bugged me that they called her MISTER Saavik. I know, Naval tradition, blah, blah, but its literally the only time Trek referred to a woman by Mr and it irks me.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

No way Janeway's rear end in a top hat don't look like a bulldog after it ate a jar of mayonnaise

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Higgy posted:

Still need to watch Enterprise

No, you really don't.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

skasion posted:

This, but to be fair TAS owns and everyone should see it

It's surprisingly mostly not terrible. And it randomly brought the Kzinti Patriarchy into Star Trek continuity because Larry Niven is lazy and just repurposed one of his Known Space stories casting Spock as the Pierson's Puppeteer.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

watch the intro theme to enterprise and if you cant stomach that dont watch the series. if you can stomach it kill yourself

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TEAYCHES posted:

watch the intro theme to enterprise and if you cant stomach that dont watch the series. if you can stomach it kill yourself

Star Trek Enterprise: only watch if you have faith of the heart.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Enterprise has it's moments, but that's like saying going to the dentist has its moments because the prophy cup tickles your gums.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHR0UPHERQ

What you call "genocide", I call "A day's work"

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

TEAYCHES posted:

Wrong. The song is laughably god awful but the rest of the show is sometimes decent. If for no other reason than archer being sick and tired of vulcans.

Seriously though what the hell were they thinking when it came to that song.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 28, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I wish there was the will to get another Star Trek show going, but then I really think about it and realize there is a very low chance of it being actually good and I drop the thought

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kitchner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHR0UPHERQ

What you call "genocide", I call "A day's work"

Seriously, the Bajorans are impossible to root for because they literally just cry to the Federation and get rolled by the Cardassians, all the while trying to act like it makes the superior.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mondian posted:

It always bugged me that they called her MISTER Saavik. I know, Naval tradition, blah, blah, but its literally the only time Trek referred to a woman by Mr and it irks me.

I don't think that was even naval tradition. I think that was just a 1980 audience-palatable concept of "gender neutrality" in Starfleet.

Also pretty sure that wasn't even Gene Roddenberry's idea.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A lot of the more terrible ideas in Star Trek were Roddenberry's though. He has a lot in common with George Lucas.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nathilus posted:

Wrong. The song is laughably god awful but the rest of the show is sometimes decent. If for no other reason than archer being sick and tired of vulcans.

Seriously though what the hell were they thinking when it came to that song.

whatever brannon braga was thinking it was definitely under the influence of cocaine

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Booblord Zagats posted:

Seriously, the Bajorans are impossible to root for because they literally just cry to the Federation and get rolled by the Cardassians, all the while trying to act like it makes the superior.

Plus they are terrorists

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The Marquis were basically Space ISIS though

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I watched the pilot and it was godawful and years later people told me "no, it gets better, there's a bunch of cool episodes, like that borg one" and I watched the borg episode and it was godawful.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Kitchner posted:

The Marquis were basically Space ISIS though

I like that trek has two distinct kinds of space jews. Youve got the greedy well poisoning kind (ferengi) and the crazy religious terrorists who are recovering from a holocaust (bajorans)

Free palestine free gul dukat.

Also bajoran women are insanely bitchy.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Entropic posted:

I watched the pilot and it was godawful and years later people told me "no, it gets better, there's a bunch of cool episodes, like that borg one" and I watched the borg episode and it was godawful.

The only good Enterprise was the mirror universe two-parter. The replacement intro is loving fantastic and the cast really hams it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

I don't think that was even naval tradition. I think that was just a 1980 audience-palatable concept of "gender neutrality" in Starfleet.

Also pretty sure that wasn't even Gene Roddenberry's idea.

There was supposed to be a thing, in the original draft, where Kirk and Saavik had a romance for the second half of the film, after spending the first half under the misapprehension that she was a man. And Spock was supposed to die half-way through instead of at the end. The Mister was probably the last hold out from that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nathilus posted:

I like that trek has two distinct kinds of space jews. Youve got the greedy well poisoning kind (ferengi) and the crazy religious terrorists who are recovering from a holocaust (bajorans)

Free palestine free gul dukat.

Also bajoran women are insanely bitchy.

"Have you ever served with any Bajoran women sir?"

"No, why?"

"Oh um... just wondering...."

Edit:

Angela Christine posted:

And he can do this:

Wrong.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 29, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I always assumed Vulcans just used one word for and didn't have a difference between male and females when it came to a non-professional, respectful title. When they worked with other species, a single title of 'mister' would just be used to keep things equitable.

I think in a Trek novel I have Spock is talking genetics with McCoy and mentions that Vulcans don't use the terms 'dominant' or 'recessive' when describing genetic stuff like humans do, for example, because of something about how those terms imply something about one being superior and one being lesser.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Phlox understands the power of positivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
For years I thought her name was supposed to be "Tasavaik" mishearing it as "Miss Tasavik"

• Locked thread