Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Victor Surge posted:

People are saying there's an undocumented change to the gun skills in test so it only applies to 130mm or less instead of 155mm.

Sucks to the Nagato!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Those skills are already pretty useless as it is with the low-caliber restriction. Why make it even worse?
They're the skills that make 155 mm Mogami a pain in the rear end to deal with due to increased range, turret rotation and RoF. Currently Mogami has absolutely no problem staying out of target's effective range while raining down HE shells that will set everything on fire especially thanks to IJN's fast shell velocity (which Cleveland doesn't have and hence makes it less effective at range).

wdarkk posted:

Sucks to the Nagato!
There are claims that secondaries still get 155 mm restriction instead of 130 mm.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I got that prem DD:

I kinda like it!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Those skills are already pretty useless as it is with the low-caliber restriction. Why make it even worse?

Except not at all? They were pretty common picks for cruisers even in CBT, when the skill was explicitly limited to secondaries. Hell, they were reasonably common picks for battleships too, and only some really got much use out of secondaries(mostly high tier Japanese ones). At equal tier, that AA boost to efficiency and range actually does make a fairly decent difference, ESPECIALLY for cruisers and Defensive Fire. It helps when facing +1 tier CVs too, so long as your base values are somewhat decent.

Honestly, and it's been said here before, the skill really should just be rolled back to secondaries only again, without all this trying to find just the right balance of which caliber of gun should be affected, and which shouldn't.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

?
The 2 most powerful cruisers at tier are the T6 Cleveland and T8 Mogami. Both utilize basic + advanced firing training for extra DPS and range on their 155mm guns, major factors in their strength. A large number of cruisers at low tiers get fairly big boosts from AFT if nobody else has it. Dropping it to 130mm means it helps all DDs still, while avoiding almost all mid, and all (barring the Atlanta) high tier cruisers. If it still applies to all secondaries, then BBs taking it for secondary boosts are unaffected.

This is essentially a Cleveland/Mogami nerf, which is 100% great.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Königsberg is good. Just don't use HE.

Preda
Oct 24, 2013
No need to play more ranked battles at this season :banjo:

Preda fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 29, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
155 mm Mogami will be hit the hardest due to reduced range (18.08 -> 15.07 km), turret transverse (30 -> 42.84 s with skill) and RoF (6.6 -> 6 RPM). You won't be able to wiggle around its rear end at 15+ km dodging shells while shooting HE for nonstop fire any more come 0.5.1. You could still do it at 12+ km but you'll need to account for slow turret rotation and take higher risk against incoming shells.

It will also nerf Cleveland, Omaha and Murmansk (and bunch of lower tier ships but they don't matter much), but at lower tier they don't require or have no use for extended range and turret rotation anyway. Drop in RPM might suck a bit though. The only unaffected cruiser will be Atlanta, but Atlanta needs to risk itself in order to hit unlike current 155 mm Mogami.

Overall it's a good change that doesn't make certain ships overpowered.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I wish WoWS was more popular in NA, I think the most I've ever seen online is about 8000 players. During off-times there's less than 3000 players online, it sucks so hard.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

orange juche posted:

I wish WoWS was more popular in NA, I think the most I've ever seen online is about 8000 players. During off-times there's less than 3000 players online, it sucks so hard.
I stopped playing because it was getting boring (thanks pubbies) and not many people queuing up for tier 8+ during off-peak.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I stopped playing because I got tired of the credit grind. XP grind is fine, I dont have a problem with that but that credit grind ugh.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Aesis posted:

I stopped playing because it was getting boring (thanks pubbies) and not many people queuing up for tier 8+ during off-peak.
I played a bunch of Ibuki tier 9 games 2 nights ago and I swear I got that XXMushroomXX guy and his 3 man division at least 1/3 of the games.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

cheese posted:

I played a bunch of Ibuki tier 9 games 2 nights ago and I swear I got that XXMushroomXX guy and his 3 man division at least 1/3 of the games.
It's either that or seeing same Midway over and over again :psyduck:

e: Some Korean users bitching that Wargaming should reset captain skill points for free because of the change :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 29, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

orange juche posted:

I've definitely seen totals >=14000 on the NA server, so it might just be whenever you're playing. Hell, just got on to check the current number, and I'm seeing ~12000.

Aesis posted:

155 mm Mogami will be hit the hardest due to reduced range (18.08 -> 15.07 km), turret transverse (30 -> 42.84 s with skill) and RoF (6.6 -> 6 RPM). You won't be able to wiggle around its rear end at 15+ km dodging shells while shooting HE for nonstop fire any more come 0.5.1. You could still do it at 12+ km but you'll need to account for slow turret rotation and take higher risk against incoming shells.

It will also nerf Cleveland, Omaha and Murmansk (and bunch of lower tier ships but they don't matter much), but at lower tier they don't require or have no use for extended range and turret rotation anyway. Drop in RPM might suck a bit though. The only unaffected cruiser will be Atlanta, but Atlanta needs to risk itself in order to hit unlike current 155 mm Mogami.

Overall it's a good change that doesn't make certain ships overpowered.

Pretty sure the turret skill has always been set at 155 mm, so that would definitely be a radical change if they're tweaking that one too. And one that is probably not needed with them removing the two that were changed when OBT started.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I have no problem with the change, so long as they free reset our captain points like in CBT.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
After 6 straight losses in a row, I finally get my double... Which happens to be the round where the skycancer immediately goes after the top tier battleship(me) and I end up only being able to do 6k damage in total :suicide:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Wow that change to AFT sucks. At least im almost through the Mogami, but yeah they better offer a skill point reset, so I can grab Demo Expert instead.

I never thought the range bonus was a big problem on the Cleveland, its tough to even hit a BB past 15km. Always thought it was far more overpowered on like the Murmansk. Combined with a spotter plane you could get some lucky 18km+ fires on Wyomings, New Yorks, and New Mexicos sailing in a straight line

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Asehujiko posted:

After 6 straight losses in a row, I finally get my double... Which happens to be the round where the skycancer immediately goes after the top tier battleship(me) and I end up only being able to do 6k damage in total :suicide:
Mmm yes, another for the anti-CV hate group. I'll process your application immediately, so we can get to discussing just how badly the Midway should get nerfed, and draw up plans for when the Enterprise is eventually made a premium.

I sure hope you have an Atlanta.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hazdoc posted:

Mmm yes, another for the anti-CV hate group. I'll process your application immediately, so we can get to discussing just how badly the Midway should get nerfed, and draw up plans for when the Enterprise is eventually made a premium.

I sure hope you have an Atlanta.

Sorry, CVs are at best a nuisance and at worst, game ruining. At least WoT had the decency to make arty super vulnerable to light tank rushes and not make you watch the artillery shell slowly fly towards your helpless tank. 20+ people in WoWs are playing the guns game, maneuvering for shots, putting out fires, angling their ships, leading their targets, watching reload timers, dropping in and out of visibility and 2-4 people are just playing an RTS whack a mole from the safety of the corner of the map. Carrier design in WoWs is bad and generally unfun for most of the players.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As someone who mostly uses the Cleveland, I don't find CVs all that bothersome. :smuggo:

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
Have I mentioned I hate the Yorck? :bang:
Honestly I've determined it's the shell arc. I can't do damage in the ship because anyone with half a brain will just wiggle and dodge these shells as they enter and exit the upper atmosphere.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

cheese posted:

Sorry, CVs are at best a nuisance and at worst, game ruining. At least WoT had the decency to make arty super vulnerable to light tank rushes and not make you watch the artillery shell slowly fly towards your helpless tank. 20+ people in WoWs are playing the guns game, maneuvering for shots, putting out fires, angling their ships, leading their targets, watching reload timers, dropping in and out of visibility and 2-4 people are just playing an RTS whack a mole from the safety of the corner of the map. Carrier design in WoWs is bad and generally unfun for most of the players.

Would you like to join the group as well?

If you think I think carriers aren't anything but toxic bullshit, especially at high tiers, you obviously haven't read any of my rants on CVs

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's the deal with the Gnevny torp upgrade? You spend 3100 xp and 260k credits to go from 64 to 65 knots of speed?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Hazdoc posted:

If you think I think carriers aren't anything but toxic bullshit, especially at high tiers, you obviously haven't read any of my rants on CVs

I'd care more about CV's if they were actually in more than half of my games... since the balancing patch, they're rarely there, making my AA ships pretty useless in most games.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I still don't understand how AA and invis firing guns is a fun gameplay idea, it sounds about as boring as playing the cleveland. So I kinda don't get the point of the Russian and US DDs being in game.

Basically this game has lovely balance and is full of lovely role ideas, which is probably why it's an even worse game than tanks.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Is the CV scourge more on weekends or something? I have a Tirpitz that should be seeing its fair share of Midway's, but I hardly ever do. Generally, with a few exceptions, it's Iowa's and Izumo's that are the top tier.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think Premium ships get better MM, not sure if that means reduced chance of seeing +2 Tier's though. For some premiums I believe instead of being able to see +2 you can only see +1. At least I think this is how it was at some point, not sure if still the case.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I've seen T7 matches in my Marblehead and I've definitely seen Tirpitzes in matches with T10s as well, so I'm a bit dubious of that. I was under the impression it was simply priority MM, so you get moved to the front of the queue when you're looking for a game.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

Well, gently caress me!

Oddly, I barely had any games with CV's in them while playing the Nagato last night. I wonder if requiring them to be balanced with another CV has made CV queue times long, which might make people queue for them less.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
So am I not supposed to use HE at all with the konigsberg?

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

deratomicdog posted:

So am I not supposed to use HE at all with the konigsberg?

Throwing HE with any German ship is basically a waste of a finger click, although sometimes the AP just won't pen and HE comes in handy

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
ok good to know

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I got within secondary range of a Phantom Fortress and instead of the normal, somewhat ineffective secondary fire that I was expecting, a stream of shells vomited forth Atlanta-style and obliterated my half-health Gnevny in 3 accurate volleys. Took maybe 12 seconds. :stare:

So, uh, keep your distance from those things.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Is the NA server really low pop? I just spent 2 minutes in the queue as a tier 9 and the game I finally got was 7v7.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

cheese posted:

Is the NA server really low pop? I just spent 2 minutes in the queue as a tier 9 and the game I finally got was 7v7.

It's kind of hard to find games at high tiers unless you're on during peak hours or something. If you don't see a five-digit "currently playing" number then weird things will happen.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fergus posted:

Throwing HE with any German ship is basically a waste of a finger click, although sometimes the AP just won't pen and HE comes in handy

Kolberg AP is garbage and sometimes won't pen destroyers, shooting HE out of it all the time is the only way to get through it

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Made a pubbie mad after I got a magazine detonation off on his tier 7 jap destroyer with my konigsberg. He started poo poo talking me up and down the match, so after I finally got knocked out by a cleveland, I looked up his stats, pointed out he has a 45% win rate and is a detriment to any team he plays on. He got angry enough to message me after the match and say I must be a noob because I have a poo poo registration date. He blocked me after I started linking him screenshots from alpha testing. I may have lost the match and a few brain cells, but I won the arguement. :toot:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Winning the argument is all that matters. :v:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

It's kind of hard to find games at high tiers unless you're on during peak hours or something. If you don't see a five-digit "currently playing" number then weird things will happen.

Their MM sucks and the high tier playerbase is simply too small because this game is a boring, grindy mess. Does anyone here actually enjoy tier7+ ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Their MM sucks and the high tier playerbase is simply too small because this game is a boring, grindy mess. Does anyone here actually enjoy tier7+ ?

I sorta do.