Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Boten Anna posted:

Everyone in Flames is too busy trying to activate the special Flames GC ability of getting the ADS mount by being in second place.

Funny, that's my experience with Adders :v

In line with PvP chat, anyone know of or could invite me to a Flames linkshell on Excal? I'll be on all day if anyone can sling me an invite, in game name is The Associate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I've only had one match where they votekicked the guy trying to lead the team, but it's just such a perfect example of what Seal Rock is like. Trying to heal Seal Rock sucks because no one ever sticks with their team. I've never been so frustrated with the targeting system in this game than when trying to PVP.

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER
People votekick in Seal Rock for the most ridiculous poo poo. I got kicked once for saying, "we're going to lose if we go there", and I've seen people get kicked for "AFK" because they were at the spawn when someone checked the map... Because they had just died. Basically it's scary to PVP if you aren't in a party who's able to block you getting kicked... Otherwise it's usually best to just not say anything.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, people are hilariously paranoid about people AFKing for tomes. To the point where just setting the reason as "AFK" is basically a guaranteed way to kick someone.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
If you're looking to join an Adders PvP Linkshell on Balmung, let me know. We do pre-mades often.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Funny, that's my experience with Adders :v

In line with PvP chat, anyone know of or could invite me to a Flames linkshell on Excal? I'll be on all day if anyone can sling me an invite, in game name is The Associate.

I'd be down for a Flames linkshell.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

quote:

Bad player etiquette or market board harassment?

Last night before I logged out I was looking through random things I have put up for sale on the mb and noticed the category for Chilled Red was not so chill at all. A player had locked out another player as well as myself from attempting to even sell our items. I checked out the sales for it and this player still has 33 hits ranging from 9,000 Gil to 35,000 Gil.

My questions are how is that even allowed in game? And is this some short or harassment or just bad etiquette? Since it doesn't seem like the player is even trying to make a profit more so saying that they can destroy this sale category out of pure spite or boredness.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Xenoveritas posted:

I've only had one match where they votekicked the guy trying to lead the team, but it's just such a perfect example of what Seal Rock is like. Trying to heal Seal Rock sucks because no one ever sticks with their team. I've never been so frustrated with the targeting system in this game than when trying to PVP.

I wish that names of people who were out of range would at least gray out or something. It would improve my playing experience as a healer so much rather than guessing which one of these bars are people I can actually help and whoops, too late, they died while I tried to target the guy who is actually halfway across the map.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

yeah flames just ignore it completely.

My first and second place finishes are in the double digits while my 3rd place finish is not. :shrug:

HelloPlatypus posted:

People votekick in Seal Rock for the most ridiculous poo poo. I got kicked once for saying, "we're going to lose if we go there", and I've seen people get kicked for "AFK" because they were at the spawn when someone checked the map... Because they had just died. Basically it's scary to PVP if you aren't in a party who's able to block you getting kicked... Otherwise it's usually best to just not say anything.

I've been vote kicked once for being afk. And it was last night because I literally moved 50 yalms out of the starting area and then moved a few yalms every min. Otherwise running to the flags we take and chilling on it keeps me safe. Or just going off in your own area away from spawn and moving once in a while keeps you from being vote kicked.

Now bring on the "I am scum and terrible for doing this".

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 28, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Obligatum VII posted:

I wish that names of people who were out of range would at least gray out or something. It would improve my playing experience as a healer so much rather than guessing which one of these bars are people I can actually help and whoops, too late, they died while I tried to target the guy who is actually halfway across the map.

This is actually coming in 3.1!

Is it bad that i'm so heavy a PvPer that this might be the thing i'm looking forward to the most? :negative:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

How dare that player sell an item cheaper!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Seeing as how I raid log more these days I find it hilarious when I put an item up for sale and then when I go to check on it a week later it's down to 10% of the price I originally listed it for. People selling stuff in this game are dumb as poo poo.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Seeing as how I raid log more these days I find it hilarious when I put an item up for sale and then when I go to check on it a week later it's down to 10% of the price I originally listed it for. People selling stuff in this game are dumb as poo poo.

It's funny when you see items drop to such a low value that's it more profitable to sell them to vendors.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It's funny when you see items drop to such a low value that's it more profitable to sell them to vendors.

This is pretty much all elemental resistance materia, because who the hell wants that?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

seiferguy posted:

This is pretty much all elemental resistance materia, because who the hell wants that?

People doing their level 20 crafting class quests? :downs:

Griz
May 21, 2001

there's also that challenge log entry to meld 5 materia for a decent chunk of crafter exp

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There's a few uses, but none of them are "because I want the stat the materia gives".

I'm really not sure why they're in the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm not sure why elemental resistance is in the game at all frankly, except possibly 1.0 holdover

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure why elemental resistance is in the game at all frankly, except possibly 1.0 holdover

This and if they ever decide to have the 'all-elements boss where it can inflict Element Vulnerability Up/Down and you have to pay attention' fight.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think paladin is a pretty ok class and everyone should give it a fair shake.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Leal posted:

I think paladin is a pretty ok class and everyone should give it a fair shake.

I actually like the play style of the class, but it is very obviously underpowered right now compared to the other 2 tanks in challenging content.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp. Found a bunch of hacking shitheads in Central Shroud teleporting around out of bounds killing mobs to level. Took about 15 screenshots, then sent one of them a tell saying "Yo. Hack much?" and about 5s later got disconnected. If I report this, will the GMs do anything or do they just ignore it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They'll probably ignore it cause I'm sure the exact same bots farming spirit bonds in north shroud are still there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Nah, they'll probably get hit in the big ban waves they do.

The botters will then just buy/spoof more accounts and start again. Different names, same out of bounds stuff, etc.

The War against the RMT never ends.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

At least in 14 them getting nodes doesn't mean legit players are barred from it.
And to be totally honest I have to imagine the shard economy would have been kind of frightening if they hadn't been mass farming them all this time.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I have never seen them take action on blatant botting before, so no, I wouldn't bother. I've reported obvious bots farming hunt mark mobs from under the world and didn't even get a form response. Then again I've never seen the GMs take action on anything, ever.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They don't ban for botting, as anyone who has ever been to North Shroud should know.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

They're careful with banning to make sure they don't ban legit players on accident (that's a much bigger disaster than letting some bots run around for a while) and they let ban them in waves to avoid showing their detection techniques.

They mostly provide shards at a reasonable price and otherwise farm gil to sell via rmt that isn't stealing accounts, so letting them run around for a little while isn't the end of the world.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Whizbang posted:

They don't ban for botting, as anyone who has ever been to North Shroud should know.

They do ban, but only on accounts that don't seem to interact with people at all (usually RMT ones). I've got a friend who lost 8 accounts in a ban wave, but the two accounts that he uses the same profiles with and interacts with other people have not been banned.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i need this

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Whizbang posted:

more like north than

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Not sure about the Flames special "2nd place ADS ability", but I can be reasonably sure you don't get one by placing 3rd. I'd have a handful by now.

I haven't been the target of angry kicking in PVP, even when I was trying very often to lead, but I've been in games where someone else giving directions was kicked. To be fair, in most of those cases there was a lot of verbal abuse and lovely passive aggressive irony mixed with a few useful pointers from the kicked guy.

Outcome doesn't change ever, so unless I end up in the random secure, which no one knows what to do in now, I don't bother to call anything. I'll be happy tanking (I swear I'm the only healer who realized wearing enough VIT to go over 11k is important in this grand company) and getting my 40 eso.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

For me Frontlines is a nice alternative to source of Esos, so being on a team that sucks doesn't bug me. On top of that, I've never thought of myself as good at MMO PvP.

Still, I have to admit that I have the most fun when I'm running with a group that knows what it's doing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whizbang posted:

They ban thousands of accounts every week if you look at the client news. I dont think reporting actually does anything and its more likely automated flag system that gets them though.

Though on 50+ you'll find a few people doing fate trains that are blatantly teleporting while in a party, I dont know if that'll trigger alarms but every time I see one I report it and ask everyone in the party to do the same.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
So I've been listening to thread and have been mixing in some Cleric Stance damage while I level my CNJ (recently now WHM) in duties. However, it feels like certain instances I just can't seem to do much of that in without damage piling up, and almost having people die (Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak, in particular, seems to make me pay attention to healing, as well as certain guildhests. Haukke Manor seems fine though). I wish there was a way to gauge if I'm doing something wrong. Should I hitting Esuna every time I see poison and such pop up? That runs my MP a bit low.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Colgate posted:

So I've been listening to thread and have been mixing in some Cleric Stance damage while I level my CNJ (recently now WHM) in duties. However, it feels like certain instances I just can't seem to do much of that in without damage piling up, and almost having people die (Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak, in particular, seems to make me pay attention to healing, as well as certain guildhests. Haukke Manor seems fine though). I wish there was a way to gauge if I'm doing something wrong. Should I hitting Esuna every time I see poison and such pop up? That runs my MP a bit low.

It's tough on cnj until you get regen.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

It's tough on cnj until you get regen.

And Shroud of Saints as well, which you don't get until level 38.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Colgate posted:

The poison in Toto-Rak is a special case. If you cleanse the tank (or whoever the highest enmity target is) during the coeurl fights, the boss will immediately use its poison ability again.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Use of Esuna is situational and takes practice. If something's a DoT and it hits appreciably hard, Esuna will cost less time and MP than just healing through it, but if it's just a weak poison then you can pretty much ignore it. Often the weaker poisons tend to stack, so you might not want to Esuna at 1 stack but instead at 2 or 3 stacks. Removable debuffs that increase damage taken are important to take off the tank but are often harmless to leave on a DPS. Debuffs that decrease damage dealt should be removed from anyone except yourself, and should be removed from yourself before the next time you feel like DPSing. And some debuffs, especially in later/harder encounters, can't be removed at all.

In general, default to using Esuna to remove things (while learning from experience what it just doesn't work on), but when you get a chance, see what a given debuff does if you leave it alone and how much of a problem it is.

Having time to DPS as a healer is in many ways dependent on your party, especially the tank - can they keep everything pissed at them, do they actually pop cooldowns, do they have proper and up to date tanking gear for good passive mitigation from defense? But also the DPS, because tank cooldowns don't last forever and if the DPS take their sweet loving time getting around to killing anything, that results in protracted battles which will inevitably mean you have to do more healing.

But it also changes with the abilities you have access to. In particular, at level 35 you'll get Regen, and for many trash pulls with a good tank you can Regen them and forget it for quite a few GCDs (which can then be spent DPSing in Cleric Stance). When they get low enough to concern you (or Regen wears off), drop off Cleric Stance, heal them to or near full, reapply Regen where appropriate, than pop back into Cleric Stance and go back to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BLM question: I just got Freeze, which appears to be like Blizzard 2 except targeted, more powerful, and maybe 3x as expensive. I'm trying to figure out whether I should just stop using Blizzard 2 entirely now. In AoE situations, is it a better idea to (a) use Freeze, thereby dealing more damage during my Ice phase, or (b) use Blizzard 2, thereby using less MP so that my Ice phase doesn't last as long before I can get back to burning poo poo down?

I was already a little unsure about Fire 3 being necessarily better than Fire 1 due to its higher MP cost (leading to shorter burn phases) and slower casting time.

• Locked thread