Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

diamond dog posted:

I said I'd effort post about hoaxes. I think there's a bunch in the game and a bunch out of the game.

Reminder that basically everything we heard about regarding development problems turned out to be bullshit rumours. Kojima was never fired, and when he signed his contract he obviously knew what the end date was.

Every single official comment/insider tweet I've seen all make it sound like the game was completed no sweat and the credits rolling every 10 minutes tell me they're proud of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPMxmxst1JU

Further reminder that this all started with a fake studio and silly latex mask ruse.

The main reason people are dismissing rusery out of hand isn't anything to do with in-game examinations, it's because leading up to and shortly after launch there were a bunch of big visible ARG-style things that started out looking very authentic and turned out to be hoaxes, each of which ended in a wet disappointing fart. Thick, fast, discrediting farts.
I think each of these ruses were commissioned by the devs. Why did anybody think the ingsoc countown might be legit? Literally the only reason was because of the Mission 51 video credits and Kojima tweeting a 9/11 reference shortly after it appeared. Then it fell apart before the countdown completed when they "accidentally" uploaded a really laughably bad text-only indie game pitch document. Then when the countdown completed we briefly got this stupid rooster teeth video???

What about the ProjectOmega567ch youtube channel? Why did anyone think this might be legit? Maybe because it started in 2013 and ran until 2 months ago involving dozens if not hundreds of hours of professional editing work. Then the last few videos abruptly turned into ameteurish poo poo and everybody acted like they knew it was fake all along.
Two things though: (a) this video says ALADYGMA, apparently an ARG agency or something. (b) that female voice in the 'amateurish poo poo' video I linked above sounds like Stefanie Joosten to me.
The author posted on reddit claiming the videos had no connection to the game, they're just a "fan-made ARG". Fine, and yeah I doubt it contains anything helpful (who knows though, I haven't actually watched many) but that doesn't preclude him being paid to do it.

If the ruse extends outside the game (like Chico's head did) then I don't think it's a stretch to say they might have hired community managers to work at muddying the waters to perpetuate things. Particularly since the ingsoc irc channel was set up by the ingsoc dude and the neverbegameover subreddit admin has said strange poo poo. When someone pointed this out, a "no talking about whether users are ruseters" rule was implemented. The job of these posters is to post non-explanations like the music video thing, and to say OLD NEWS whenever somebody tries to reopen discussion on anything. Maybe. All I know for sure is the mods there have made zero effort to categorise evidence or facilitate investigations beyond initially telling people to do dumb time-wasting poo poo like interrogate every single NPC in the game for like two weeks. Everything posted there just disappears into the swirling garbage vortex that is reddit.

Within the game there are a LOT of codes and clue-like crap. Mysterious radio broadcasts, faded cliff paintings in africa, the portopia loader tape that's like HEY LOOK AT ME in the climactic cutscene, cryptic messages from Code Talker that nobody has figured out yet etc. Behind where you find "Huey" in afghanistan there's a wall with a bunch of cryptic stuff and two strings that look like partly-ciphered IP addresses. There's an apparently unused texture with a bunch of binary crap that nobody has figured out. This is by no means an exhaustive list. I'm not into math puzzles so I don't have opinions on the code stuff, besides to point at that those kinds of things aren't accidental and at least anything that's self-contained isn't remnants of cut content.

I originally meant to just post all my screenshots and break down the Honey Bee mission area, but now I know from experience some fucktard will quote the least interesting picture and be all "you think this WALL means something? you are literally schizophrenic for trying to solve a video game puzzle instead of raiding FOBs" so I'll just pick a couple. This area is meant to attract the player's attention though:
  • Blurry maps all over the game point out this area. I think those maps are intentionally blurrier than they need to be in a 2015 video game and that this and "bees" are references to video game culture/mysteries/ARGs.
  • There's collapsed/sealed tunnels that point towards a large unused, inaccessible portion of the afghanistan map.
  • There's unique blue pashto graffiti all over the rocks. Apart from being eye-catching it lines up with the MSX boot up glow and morpho butterflies, for anybody looking for an underground area to knock three times at (portopia fans lyk dis). There's a bunch of butterflies here and candles, blue barrels and beer bottles (to knock over as you try to crawl into the honey bee alcove like an idiot) show up in groups of three after you walk past an entrance area with several increasingly obvious "secret doors". Reminder that I think this area is a HOAX, but I also know how level design can prime a player's expectations, and this is likely to be the first place players visit after The Truth if they're trying to follow a portopia lead. Idk where bees sleep but I don't think it's in this honey pot.
  • As you approach you get a nice vista of a valley with a prominent mountain in the distance exuding mist. Mist is a thing in this game if you haven't noticed, and shows up in all the weird places including OKB Zero, Shining Lights if you shoot the lights out, that barracks in the middle of afghanistan, the valley at the devil's house in africa, and the spooky underground area of the honey bee area itself. Radios either go quiet or start playing PT recordings when mist is around. Anyway it kind of looks like you can jump down into the valley but you can't, and examining the map makes it kinda sorta look like if you can get there, you're getting there from the honey bee area. Sure enough there's a "path" along a cliff that seems to lead in that direction, but it's blocked off by a slightly out-of-place cliff (to the right of kaz's head). It's also blocked off by some barrels and fences, so this cliff really wasn't necessary and may have been intentionally placed to paint the impression that unfinished content was blocked off if you're running around looking for that stuff.

Like the other hoaxes it ends with a fart. At the end of the underground passage (after passing through a tunnel threatening collapse for the portopia people) there's these out-of-place rocks with gaps that show there's an alcove behind them (more obvious in action since parallax makes the area behind it obvious):

Fire your fist in there and you see this:

A lovely bit of terrain and two-dimensional quad poking out of the ceiling. Ostensibly the rocks are "hiding" this "bad map corner". Dumb.

The datamined chico lead in africa is probably similar. After all it would have you hunting for somebody who's hunting for bigfoot. Dumb.

So this is why I think the in-game ARG-resembling things are probably all crap and datamined stuff is just as likely to be red herrings as legit cut stuff. The one thing nobody seems to be doing is simply examining the story from our character's perspective by looking at cutscenes and listening to tapes carefully like GZ tried to train us to do.

Ok wow aladygma is a whole rabbit hole of its own. An unsolved ARG from 2008 that references a skull x-ray, "jafeth" and street addresses in manhattan. Also it looks like I'm not the first one to think there's fiddling afoot on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3lbplq/spoilers_ingsoc_konami_hideo_kojima_gray_fox_gray/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

You are loving insane.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He’s called Revolver Ocelot because when you see his dull characterisation you revolve 360 degrees and walk away.

Late to the party, but...

I think you mean 180 degrees.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Joe Gillian posted:

You are loving insane.

counterpoint: nuh uh

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

diamond dog posted:

counterpoint: nuh uh

nah, as an insane person myself, you're pretty loving crazy. I recognize my kind when I see them

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
sounds like you're an unreliable witness though

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's referencing this:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/why-they-call-it-an-xbox-360

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
after you rotate 360 degrees you have to moon walk backwards, duh

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Nerds.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Finished Code Talker Exxxtreme last night with No Traces for a bajillion points. After a very tense 20 or 30 minutes of crouch walking on my first try, the 2 sniper skulls by the north exfil found me on the chopper as I was flying out with code talker, and landed kill shots as the door close animation started :suicide:

In frustration, I sprinted most of my next attempt and finished No Traces in under 15 minutes. :slick:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Diamong Dong is the best part of this thread.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
It's true I am an A+++ poster.

diamond dog posted:

The one thing nobody seems to be doing is simply examining the story from our character's perspective by looking at cutscenes and listening to tapes carefully like GZ tried to train us to do.

ok I'll start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmboNvsF9YA

Twice at the beginning and once at the end of the Zero Visits Snake audio we can hear a metal sci-fi door that doesn't fit with the regular wooden door of the hospital room we wake up in:

It makes a distinctive rattling sound (sounds like there's a hiss at the end too but I think that's just the medical equipment). Anybody recognise it from elsewhere in the game?

It doesn't seem to match the sound of the medical platform external door, or paz's room, or huey's afghanistan lab door, or the quarantine platform cell doors in Shining Lights. If it's unique then for some reason they composed a unique door sfx even though the hospital setting has been locked in since at least 2012 when the first trailer came out.

(Related oddities: you teleport all over the hospital floor plan during your escape; the hospital and Shining Lights are the only places that share those fire alarm things with the red lights; QUARANTIN is spelled wrong in the big external stencilled lettering on that platform; "North" inside doesn't match North outside in Shining Lights; and when you first arrive on the new Mother Base to meet Ocelot and it consists of just the command platform... try scrolling up on the map, the quarantine platform is already there too for some reason).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
TIL that MGSV contains numerous clues that the game was released unfinished... Those sneaky devs, hiding clues like that.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

diamond dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmboNvsF9YA

Twice at the beginning and once at the end of the Zero Visits Snake audio we can hear a metal sci-fi door that doesn't fit with the regular wooden door of the hospital room we wake up in:

It makes a distinctive rattling sound (sounds like there's a hiss at the end too but I think that's just the medical equipment). Anybody recognise it from elsewhere in the game?

It doesn't seem to match the sound of the medical platform external door, or paz's room, or huey's afghanistan lab door, or the quarantine platform cell doors in Shining Lights. If it's unique then for some reason they composed a unique door sfx even though the hospital setting has been locked in since at least 2012 when the first trailer came out.
I hear standard medical respirator equipment and a hospital curtain on metal curtain rings slid back and forth. No ARG meta-mystery here.

I think this thread was originally for folks finishing 31/45/46 discussing their take on the ending they had reached and/or finding out what else was was left. I'm not sure there is a large audience here for unconfirmed speculation on purported subterfuge on the part of Kojima/Konami in hiding easter eggs in the game. I see the evidence of cut content, but anything beyond that is chemtrails.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I will dictate this thread's flow

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This game kind of features chemtrails. The Metallic Archaea are distributed by air. That's probably what they put in chemtrails. To make everyone's smart phones break so we have to buy new ones.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I hear standard medical respirator equipment and a hospital curtain on metal curtain rings slid back and forth. No ARG meta-mystery here.

The door sound is at 0:02 (Zero entering), 0:26 (doctor leaving) and 6:29 (Zero leaving).

Snak posted:

TIL that MGSV contains numerous clues that the game was released unfinished... Those sneaky devs, hiding clues like that.
It might be supposed to look like that, but find me any official source that confirms it or implies anything but the opposite.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Snak posted:

actually i think a lot of stuff like this was intentional, he said as much in an interview like a year ago, i'll link if i find it again but it was something along the lines of wanting to make a story that was different for each player that would change based on getting new context and information that would shape their interpretation of the story. he doesn't have the "there are no facts, only interpretations" quote for shits and giggles. whether or not there is any hidden chapters to unlock, i believe his intention was to have each player make their own interpretation of the game's story from what they experienced and saw which becomes their "canon" and we're seeing that he was successful in doing that.

also diamond dog is the best poster.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is diamond dog having a conspiracy discussion with himself now? I don't understand.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That comment was mostly directed at the Quarantine Platform already being on the map.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Diamond Dog's reaction is, in fact, the correct reaction to the story of MGSV.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is diamond dog having a conspiracy discussion with himself now? I don't understand.

he is trying to get you to engage with the story and what secrets it may contain rather than flat out calling him crazy because he wants you to be more than the type of player who just dismisses stuff that are not completely spelled out. he is trying to make you better.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
:ocelot:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I think this thread was originally for folks finishing 31/45/46 discussing their take on the ending they had reached and/or finding out what else was was left. I'm not sure there is a large audience here for unconfirmed speculation on purported subterfuge on the part of Kojima/Konami in hiding easter eggs in the game. I see the evidence of cut content, but anything beyond that is chemtrails.

This thread only exists to take the brunt of the :spergin: posts about MGSV, so that the real mgs thread can flourish.

Also it may or may not be a front for kojipro/unknown viral advertising

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Walking DD in varied highly detailed parks in many different countries DLC announced?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Walking DD in varied highly detailed parks in many different countries DLC announced?

I was thinking something similar for offroading in jeeps. Doing donuts and doriftu power slides in afghan sand and african mud betwixt trees and rocks is hella fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

diamond dog is becoming a demon to make us post well. It's a brave path that he can't come back from, but he's truly a shining light, that might be green or actually a backpack or something, I dunno.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I meant the fact that he wasn't in the previous 2 games, and just shows up in this one. His personality is completely different than the other games.

mayve he's a medic dressed up as ocelot

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Ocelot became a medic, for like, torture research or whatever, and then he got some shrapnel to the head and when they brainwashed him into thinking he was Big Boss, they had to make a fake Ocelot to complete the illusion. Venom is Medic is Ocelot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Could Ocelot have been a hallucination maybe?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I just attribute Ocelot acting different because he is in such a different circumstance. As far as he knows, until the self-hypnosis wears off, he's just helping out Big Boss. Nobody is getting tricked by him the entire game except himself.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah Ocelot spends the entire game thinking he's helping the man he's in love with directly. Of course he might be more chill than usual- he's living his dream, more or less.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
What ever happened to that head transplant doctor IRL? Did he ever sue his employer Konami?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Even though Ocelot hypnotized himself, there's definitely something off about the way he acts around Venom, which I like. Throughout the game, Ocelot and Venom have basically zero chemistry together and I like to think that was intentional, especially when you compare their interaction to the single scene Ocelot and Big Boss have together in the Truth where the love between them is completely obvious. Ocelot acting kind of subdued and standoffish for the entire game can be chalked up to his hypnosis not being perfect and that a part of him realizes he's not with the real Big Boss.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I kind of want his hypnosis story to just be a bunch of bull he tells people because it's funny and everyone believes him.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

What ever happened to that head transplant doctor IRL? Did he ever sue his employer Konami?

Afaik he is still in talks with lawyers, or he may have just backed down / realized there wasn't any money in it. The dude likes attention but the conspiracy stuff around him was pretty dumb and purposefully ignored the fact that he's an actual, licensed, practicing surgeon who has been publishing literature in his field for at least a decade.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's really strange that Konami would indulge Kojima by becoming involved in so many potential 'ruses' whilst at the same time genuinely being one of the most money-driven and meanspirited developers in the industry who have actively been burning their own properties down for the last half-decade

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I guess EROTIC VIOLENCE really was just to throw us off, played like a drat fiddle again!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Surlaw posted:

I kind of want his hypnosis story to just be a bunch of bull he tells people because it's funny and everyone believes him.

I'm not sure why since I can accept all manner of ridiculous poo poo in the MGS series, but whenever hypnosis gets brought up to cover a plot hole it just annoys me so much for some reason. Like, I should be able to roll with it like I do with the cyborg ninjas and bee tommy guns and whatever else but it's just :effort: to me.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I thought this was quashed a long time ago? Isn't the doctor in Cyprus modeled after a guy who does mo-cap in Japan who just happens to look like that transplant guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Supposedly he was modeled after Ian Moore (and video game characters being modeled after real people is certainly nothing new), but yeah it was 100% just people overlooking the facts that got in the way of their theories. I mean, even if Kojima did intentionally model the doctor after the guy, so what? It only ever had any relevance in the context of the goofy head transplant theories anyway.

• Locked thread