Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Is there a good quick and dirty write-up about this end times business? I started reading some wiki but it went into way too much detail and was way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Comrayn posted:

Is there a good quick and dirty write-up about this end times business? I started reading some wiki but it went into way too much detail and was way too long.

Everything goes extremely stupid, everyone dies pointlessly and Chaos wins at the last minute because of a deus ex machina, and then the world is destroyed and reduced to a much stupider, more boring place.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Can blue pistols actually one-hit-kill clanrats on Hard and above again (without headshots, that is)? That's really only my one annoyance with the green ones I have now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That Italian Guy posted:

I am sad. I've just ran an Hard Horn map and the pubbies I was with insisted on using the horn glitch to win it :( The bad thing is, you really can't do anything if they want to, since there's no way you'll survive in any other spot by yourself.

Where there is a will, there is a way. I have done the ammo box sacrifice thing several times (I like doing it because I can play at being Horatius and try to 1v10000 the rats as long as I can :v:) but it sucks that it kind of ruins what is an otherwise fun set piece. I guess it's the natural human response to being given something with any balls in terms of difficulty, you take the easy way out if it gets the same result

Sadly there isn't a great way to fix that problem, and it has some obvious drawbacks (namely gasrats). To me the best way to counter it would be to move the last tome into the arena

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

That Italian Guy posted:

I am sad. I've just ran an Hard Horn map and the pubbies I was with insisted on using the horn glitch to win it :( The bad thing is, you really can't do anything if they want to, since there's no way you'll survive in any other spot by yourself.

Make sure you are carrying the tome/grimoire and threaten to dump the grim unless they satisfy your demands.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think if people weren't so hosed when they lose the end of map events people would be less inclined to cheese it. You just spent 30 minutes dragging your bloodied dick through the mud to get their and if you fail, grats on some useless xp that doesn't matter. You should get a number of dice at the end of the game based on how far you got so if you got to the event but wiped you get 5 dice instead of 6 or something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Comrayn posted:

Basically what Night10194 said but here is a quick and dirty...

1) The four Chaos Gods unite. Previously they had been squandering their strength by fighting each other just as often as outsiders. Kind of like Orks.

2) The End Times begin. Chaos Undivided essentially begins assaulting the entire world. The Skaven join in as they are basically chaos spawn in origin.

3) Pretty much the entire rest of the world, even undead factions, unite either directly or on "enemy of my enemy" basis to fight Chaos.

4) Stuff happens, the big Chaos hero personally slays a whole bunch of super important people like Karl Franz (the Emperor) for example. Bretonnia is swallowed in a tide of rats.

5) The Chaos moon slams into the planet, fracturing it to pieces.

6) Age of Sigmar begins.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
"Rocks fall, everyone dies."

Sounds really cool.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Lemming posted:

Sounds really cool.

Games Workshop is the dumbest company on this god blessed earth. Nothing new.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lemming posted:

Sounds really cool.

Try not to think about it while playing Vermintide :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Chomp8645 posted:

Nah, its cool. This is an alternate universe where the bro-team of Bardin and Kruber (with sidekick Feugonasa and crusty old Saltzpyre) save the city and then go on to save the world.

Also, Kruber's family is fine, and Bardin finds his treasure. :gbsmith:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Luckily this game opens up the opportunity for change.

The entire skaven and chaos hordes are found dead in front of a lone witch hunter parked behind an ammo box, a mountain of pistols lying around him.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

5) The Chaos moon slams into the planet, fracturing it to pieces.

This could use a bit more explanation. One of the Skaven clans (the magic ones) casts some spell to pull the chaos moon closer, to increase the power of their spells. However, another Skaven clan gets upset at this, and fires a giant laser at the moon because they think they'll be able to pick up all the pieces of cheese. The fragments of the moon begin falling to the ground and kill a lot of things, while the Slaan try to deflect as much as they can. Specifically, they direct a bunch of stuff that was going to hit the Old World into the Skaven empire that shot the moon, killing them all.

Then Chaos does something, blows up the warp gates at the poles, and the rest of the planet goes boom/gets sucked into the warp.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah, its cool. This is an alternate universe where the bro-team of Bardin and Kruber (with sidekick Feugonasa and crusty old Saltzpyre) save the city and then go on to save the world.

Also, Kruber's family is fine, and Bardin finds his treasure. :gbsmith:

What happened to the elf?

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Oh and a big part of that happens off-screen, too.

And then there's age of lets put ultramarines in fantasigmar.

Skandranon posted:

Pulled a stormvermin patrol and died in the city while the rest of the party was fleeing ubersreik.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Skandranon posted:

What elf? They haven't added the High Elf yet.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 28, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I really love the notion that the Skaven are so completely retarded for magic uranium and yet so completely fractured that even when their god calls them up and tells them to straighten up and band together, they still can't resist fighting over the best way to gently caress everyone over with the magic uranium moon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For all the bad stuff in The End Times, the Skaven plan to blow up the moon and the undead toad deflecting everything before taking off in his aztec rocket ship was probably the best. That and Settra telling the other undead to gently caress off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chomp8645 posted:

The best thing to do is to pretend Age of Sigmar doesn't exist and buy things based on the older, superior WHF.

AKA Vermintide and Total Warhammer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Skandranon posted:

This could use a bit more explanation. One of the Skaven clans (the magic ones) casts some spell to pull the chaos moon closer, to increase the power of their spells. However, another Skaven clan gets upset at this, and fires a giant laser at the moon because they think they'll be able to pick up all the pieces of cheese. The fragments of the moon begin falling to the ground and kill a lot of things, while the Slaan try to deflect as much as they can. Specifically, they direct a bunch of stuff that was going to hit the Old World into the Skaven empire that shot the moon, killing them all.

Then Chaos does something, blows up the warp gates at the poles, and the rest of the planet goes boom/gets sucked into the warp.

Out of curiosity from someone who never played Fantasy, how was all of this revealed? Was there a series of End Times official books, or did the next generation's rule book go "rocks fall everyone dies now fantasymarines"

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Out of curiosity from someone who never played Fantasy, how was all of this revealed? Was there a series of End Times official books, or did the next generation's rule book go "rocks fall everyone dies now fantasymarines"

I mainly picked it up from some wikis and people bitching about how dumb AoS is from the Total War: Warhammer thread, but I believe there were a bunch of novels written to fill all this stuff in. Poorly.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
49 hours in and I finally get an orange zweihander for the Witch Hunter, with 5% Regrowth (Normal), 45.5% Second Wind, and 3% Heroic Killing Blow. A good sword. Most obviously though, the damage increase over previous tiers is kind of nuts.

All compared to a white zweihander,

Still takes 3-4 hits to kill a clan rat on cataclysm :smith:

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Captain Gordon posted:

People who care about loot in this game are dumb, confirm/deny?

Confirmed, but I think that the screaming about "MAH LOOTS" would be less if they just gave every hero white versions of all their alternate weapons. That way people can tailor their play style on each hero to their liking, and the loot would just be stat upgrades.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Skandranon posted:

I mainly picked it up from some wikis and people bitching about how dumb AoS is from the Total War: Warhammer thread, but I believe there were a bunch of novels written to fill all this stuff in. Poorly.

There was also a series of expansions to the main line, each of which came in a set of two books. One with a timeline of events and a lot of the fluffier stuff, one with updated army lists and scenarios reflecting the first book. At the end of the last one (Archaon) they just sort of laid out the end of the world and the slightest hint of a potential future. I don't remember if there was ever a scenario describing the final battle or if it just went "CONGLATURATION, YOU HAVE COMPLETED A GREAT GAME. THE END"

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

moths posted:

That was End Times, and they had crazy big-brain pilot rats grafted onto them.

I'm surprised that we only see stationary doomwheels, and almost relieved that warplock jezzails and warpfire throwers aren't in the game. (That I've seen, anyway.)

If nothing else they got plenty of fun Skaven units to add in the future.

Hmm, adding some different "basic" enemies on the higher difficulties to take the place of skaven slaves and clan rats, or enhance them with various buffs would be interesting. Kinda like how Payday switches out the lowly blues instead of just cribbing from L4D.

Getting Night runners (mook version of Gutter runners), some sort of Shield-wall-Vermin/Skaven Champion and those crazy skaven monks up in your face while Jezzail sniper-teams are crawling over the roof-tops would be pretty sweet.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Question about loot, is a blue I get at level 3 as good as a blue I'll get at level 30? Like, damage is the same, traits could be the same? Just want to make sure. I got a blue dwarf gun just now at level 3, 30% bonus ammo and 90% passthrough chance, its a beast.

queeb fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 28, 2015

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
An orange at level 1 is the same as an orange at level 30. There are no level restrictions or item levels.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It was revealed in big books full of overpowered units and terrible writing that cost 60 dollars each.

GW.txt.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Perestroika posted:

Can blue pistols actually one-hit-kill clanrats on Hard and above again (without headshots, that is)? That's really only my one annoyance with the green ones I have now.

Yes, they can.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Musluk posted:

Pulled a stormvermin patrol and died in the city while the rest of the party was fleeing ubersreik.

Nah, that was the BW. I killed them all with my magic bow while Kruber distracted them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As I said, this is an alternate universe where the heroes save the day, the elf says something dumb about it, everyone tells her to shut up, then they all high five and have a beer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Skandranon posted:

Yup, there were books. And it all happened only last July too. The end result was Games Workshop has now declared whatever army you built is now obsolete (so buy our new stuff), and we get fantasy space marines. Seriously, GIS Sigmarines and that's what all your cool landsknechts with ostrich feather caps and arquebuses have been replaced with. Kinda cheapens the brand, and I feel it even (further) cheapens Space Marines by proxy. Oh but there are apparently rules that let you bring your OLD army in by saying they were trapped in a shard of reality until recently, only they're not at all balanced for the new rules so you're playing at a massive disadvantage.

Again, second hand stuff because I really don't touch anything Games Workshop besides the video games, and that's generally only after people have decided if video game is good or not. Because, well, Games Workshop is a company that has profitable IP's despite itself.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 28, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
This was my literal reaction when I found out about the endtimes and introduction of Land Marines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5R_pS0h5Qk

poo poo could have been cool as hell and shook up quite a bit, but instead they went scorched earth. gently caress, it could have been an alternate timeline where the Warhammer world was ending. The only pro's was that the ending for Lizardmen and Skaven were hilarious.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

then they all high five and have a beer.
Except the elf.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Safety Factor posted:

Except the elf.

I thought that went without saying. When have you ever seen an elf drink BEER?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

This was my literal reaction when I found out about the endtimes and introduction of Land Marines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5R_pS0h5Qk

poo poo could have been cool as hell and shook up quite a bit, but instead they went scorched earth. gently caress, it could have been an alternate timeline where the Warhammer world was ending. The only pro's was that the ending for Lizardmen and Skaven were hilarious.

Oh, how did the Lizardmen get the shaft? The Skaven blowing up the moon in factionalism and then having most of the chunks land on themselves was pretty damned funny.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alkydere posted:

Oh, how did the Lizardmen get the shaft? The Skaven blowing up the moon in factionalism and then having most of the chunks land on themselves was pretty damned funny.

They got in their spaceships and peaced out.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Except the elf.

She drinks hella strong wine instead.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

She drinks hella strong wine instead.
In a corner. Alone.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

In a corner. Alone.

Mysteriously, she says. But we all really know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

In a corner. Alone.

That's why she's so snarky, she saw the future and how much fun everyone else would have saving the world, and yet she'd be relegated to the corner.

• Locked thread