Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I get the mindset that you can't truly claim to dislike something without at least having tasted it, but at the same time, there are so many things and so little time that you gotta filter the stuff that reaches your palate. There'll be false negatives, and that's a shame. I just don't want to waste time on something that is clearly not intended for me. So I'll stick to not having an opinion on Twilight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only reason I bother having an opinion is because it's so incredibly prevalent in modern pop culture. I wanted to know just what the big deal was.

Unfortunately, I simply can't get into A Song of Ice and Fire enough to have a real opinion of it. I'm not a huge fan of medieval fantasy environments in the first place (except really specific examples like the Elder Scrolls games and occasional tabletop RPG campaigns), but I find the series too dense and intertwined to be able to get into without a significant time investment that I really can't find an excuse to put forth. The same goes for Lord of the Rings. Famous as hell? Sure. But I've never read more than snippets of the books and never seen even one of the movies all the way through. It's just so far outside my interest that I can't be arsed to open them up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah I agree.

I read Lor of the Rings and even the Silmarillion when I was a wee lad. They're very good as I recall, but I don't think I could do it now. There's too much stuff in there. I liked the movies when I saw them in the theatre, but tbh they were pretty bad when I later saw them at home. Way too long, and the Hobbits movies turned me right off, I only finished the first one. Haven't read any Fire & Ice, but the HBO show is alright at the moment, so I'll stick with it unless it turns poo poo.

It really sucks that franchising has become so prevalent in scifi & fantasy books. I much prefer a stand-alone book to 40 volumes of 1000 pages each, chronicling the rice and fall of whateverthefuck. I don't care about world-building at all. An interesting setting with some real characters dealing with something, 300 pages max, that's it, that's good.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I don't need to eat garbage to know that it is terrible.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

tonytheshoes posted:

Stupid question--I try to be pretty meticulous about logging the books I read on Goodreads, but I'm at a loss when it comes to short stories... Just looking for some other opinions on how you all might log short stories if you don't read the entire book... argh. It's the only area of my life where I have OCD, and I can't figure out what to do. #nerdpeopleproblems

If you don't read the whole book it doesn't count! Suppose you could always look for individual novella editions or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Stravinsky posted:

Garbage can be pretty good irl though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I for one admire a dude willing to read poo poo in order to report back and give the rest of us something to make fun of.

But legit dude you read the Twilight remake and took notes and what the hell.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I saw some excerpts and somehow it manages to be worse than the original.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I for one admire a dude willing to read poo poo in order to report back and give the rest of us something to make fun of.

But legit dude you read the Twilight remake and took notes and what the hell.

chitoryu12 posted:

I saw some excerpts

Stravinsky posted:

drat, I hate this dumb series and think it is really stupid. So I went to the bookstore and picked up my copy and here's my meticulous thread with line by line dissections

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

way too intense man

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

way too intense man

im mad

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reading is hard for some people.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

If there's a paragraph somewhere that I really like, I'll read that thing again and again. Feels good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stravinsky posted:

garbage is pretty good imhohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNcZrn5dqZw

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Still doesn't explain how he knew what parts of the original book to compare it to :colbert:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Is there a thread for getting help with old books? I have a couple of what I believe are 1890s Swedish Bibles. Trying to figure out exactly what they are and maybe what kind of value they hold.

http://imgur.com/a/8nt22

There are 2 books. One has damage to the spine but the rest of the boom is in pretty great condition.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Goons probably aren't going to be able to help you with something like that. If you really want to know about them, you'll need to track down someone that specializes in old bibles.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trastion posted:

Is there a thread for getting help with old books? I have a couple of what I believe are 1890s Swedish Bibles. Trying to figure out exactly what they are and maybe what kind of value they hold.

There are 2 books. One has damage to the spine but the rest of the boom is in pretty great condition.

I was gonna say Bibles are worthless, but that's a pretty sweet cover. It is Swedish yeah. It says illustrated, how much is it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trastion posted:

also try asking if the swedes seen that type of bible just get a gague on how common it is

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3480864&perpage=40&pagenumber=577#pti23

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oon the ferst dey Gerd sed ledder be light

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

also try asking if the swedes seen that type of bible just get a gague on how common it is

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3480864&perpage=40&pagenumber=577#pti23

Thanks. Posted it there to ask.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I was gonna say Bibles are worthless, but that's a pretty sweet cover. It is Swedish yeah. It says illustrated, how much is it?

I don't know what it is worth. They currently belong to my mother and I didn't want her to sell them for $25 at a garage sale or on Craiglist if they are worth a lot more than that.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oon the ferst dey Gerd sed ledder be light

If someone can point me to the spot in the bible where that part is I could probably post that page. I am not a religious person so I have no clue where to look for that.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 11, 2015

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Trastion posted:

If someone can point me to the spot in the bible where that part is I could probably post that page. I am not a religious person so I have no clue where to look for that.

Hahhahahahahha

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

CestMoi posted:

Hahhahahahahha

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

Hahhahahahahha

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Trastion, that was a Swedish-language-inspired bastardization of the beginning of the Bible, which is "On the first day, God said, 'let their be light.'

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

'let their be light.'

I hereby banish you from Book Barn

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ah poo poo haha

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

blue squares posted:

Trastion, that was a Swedish-language-inspired bastardization of the beginning of the Bible, which is "On the first day, God said, 'let their be light.'

That's also not how it goes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

As I've said before I don't really know a lot about fantasy novels

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ras Het posted:

As I've said before I don't really know a lot about fantasy novels

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

:smugdog:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That joke was sponsored by fifteen year old me

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

Swedish-language-inspired

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Marlon James wins 2015 Booker Prize for A Brief History of Seven Killings.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34511049

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Just sat a general intelligence test and had questions come up on an excerpt from Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence.

quote:

The result, of course, was that the young girl who was the centre of this elaborate system of mystification remained the more inscrutable for her very frankness and assurance. She was frank, poor darling, because she had nothing to conceal, assured because she knew of nothing to be on her guard against; and with no better preparation than this, she was to be plunged overnight into what people evasively called “the facts of life.”
The young man was sincerely but placidly in love. He delighted in the radiant good looks of his betrothed, in her health, her horsemanship, her grace and quickness at games, and the shy interest in books and ideas that she was beginning to develop under his guidance. (She had advanced far enough to join him in ridiculing the “Idyls of the King,” but not to feel the beauty of “Ulysses” and the “Lotus Eaters.”) She was straightforward, loyal and brave; she had a sense of humour (chiefly proved by her laughing at his jokes); and he suspected, in the depths of her innocently-gazing soul, a glow of feeling that it would be a joy to waken. But when he had gone the brief round of her he returned discouraged by the thought that all this frankness and innocence were only an artificial product. Untrained human nature was not frank and innocent; it was full of the twists and defences of an instinctive guile. And he felt himself oppressed by this creation of factitious purity, so cunningly manufactured by a conspiracy of mothers and aunts and grandmothers and long-dead ancestresses, because it was supposed to be what he wanted, what he had a right to, in order that he might exercise his lordly pleasure in smashing it like an image made of snow.

I think it's a great piece of writing but the one part I did not understand was:

quote:

in order that he might exercise his lordly pleasure in smashing it like an image made of snow
There was a question on that part, it was asking something along the lines of how the character would feel about exercising "his lordly pleasure" and I had no drat idea. What do you guys think?

krampster2 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 15, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
As a smart, enlightened chap (who's also a misogynist) he rejects all this artifice. "Lordly pleasure" was an anachronistic phrase even back then, he's far from a randy noble. How dare all these ancestresses dictate to him what he likes. On the other hand, he's also a product of those times, and gets really turned on by the notion. He loves that she's "beginning to develop under his guidance", and senses "a glow of feeling it would be a joy to waken." Basically he's an egotistical prick who doesn't recognize quite how well his wants have been sounded, and is about to reject it mostly because he doesn't like all these old women.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the deeeeaaaal with adult colouring books?!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what do you mean? they are coloring books for adults, meaning they tend to feature more complex art than those for children. seems pretty easy to understand..

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's just insane how they've popped up all of a sudden. Did someone like Oprah spruik them?

Now I walk into my local bookstore and there's a display at the front of the store of about 600 of the loving things, every publisher jumping on the bandwagon. For a while there were like 5 or 6 colouring books in the top 10 best-sellers in my country. What happened to that thing adults used to do with books, what was it, reading?

I can't wait to see billions of these books mouldering in bargain bins for the next decade.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

It's just insane how they've popped up all of a sudden. Did someone like Oprah spruik them?

Now I walk into my local bookstore and there's a display at the front of the store of about 600 of the loving things, every publisher jumping on the bandwagon. For a while there were like 5 or 6 colouring books in the top 10 best-sellers in my country. What happened to that thing adults used to do with books, what was it, reading?

:confused: what the hell country do you live in where 5 or 6 books out of the top 10 best-sellers are coloring books?

they are just a fun hobby/timewaster kind of thing like crossword puzzles etc.. they aren't particularly new either, and lots of adults still read books all the time so I'm not sure what you are talking about at all.. though again this might be related to your strange country.

also, "spruik", really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I think he's Australian. Which should answer all lingering questions you might have.