Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Snak posted:

That is a helpful video, thanks. My point of confusion was on the difference between "cr.lp xx cr.lp" and "cr.lp, cr.lp", can you shed some light on that?

This has already been pretty cleared up, but just for reference, the combo is telling you to chain (see bebop's post) two cr.lp, then link (not chain, not cancel) the DP. Shoto DPs are more or less the only special move that you'll ever link into because of their fast startup. (There are exceptions)

Because SF4 has a thing where you can't cancel into a special move from a chained normal, SOMETHING involved in that combo needs to be linked and whoever wrote it just decided that it would be DP and not the cr.lp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

You don't seem to be aware that Gandhi is already seeded for Capcom Cup.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

You don't seem to be aware that Gandhi is already seeded for Capcom Cup.

i do not keep up with the europe scene at all

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Anyone who's US east coast or nearby and wants to play 1v1 lobbies should hit me up on Steam sometime, I've been slacking since Evo but I still like this stupid game! https://steamcommunity.com/id/renleve

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I added a bunch of people from the past two pages, but this is me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/celebrity-ghost/

I tend to play drunk so I make no claims on having any skill.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I added a bunch of people from the past two pages, but this is me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/celebrity-ghost/

New idea for a youtube series "Super Drunk Fighter." It's not good, but it's entertaining.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Dias posted:

The best way to combat that is to just not play the game. No, literally, sit back, do the safest poo poo possible and use your reliable anti-air until you're allowed to play. Let them hang themselves.
And that means you also learn how to punish. At first you will most likely just throw him whenever he does something unsafe(I know I did). That's fine. Just recognising the situation is good.
If you are lucky he will adapt and walk up and throw you. Most likely over and over. See everything he does as an opportunity to learn something. Because you will be in all of those situations again, when you play other people. But then you will have some solutions.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Illuminado posted:

New idea for a youtube series "Super Drunk Fighter." It's not good, but it's entertaining.

Drunk Fighter's History

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hey, here's all the costumes and colors for the Halloween costumes.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.

Illuminado posted:

Don't butt in on my stream gimmick.

Drunk MMs are expensive.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Greenlit posted:

Drunk MMs are expensive.

So how about that Canada Cup, Lapchi?

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Mio Bison posted:

Anyone who's US east coast or nearby and wants to play 1v1 lobbies should hit me up on Steam sometime, I've been slacking since Evo but I still like this stupid game! https://steamcommunity.com/id/renleve

Celebrity Ghost posted:

added you both pls add me guys i'm east coast now http://steamcommunity.com/id/curex

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
I'm still fairly new at it the game so I guess I can play with all the new babies. http://steamcommunity.com/id/yesliterally/

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Snak posted:

my god. Fighting games are so complicated. I understand most of this and most of general strategy, but I'm mostly getting demolished by my room-mate who is a literally button-masher and asserts that fighting game skills are universal between all platforms and franchises. It's really annoying. I can actually out-button mash him because I understand the controls, but the second I start trying to cr.mk xx fireball and using shoryukens instead of up uppercuts for anti-air I get destroyed because my consistency is so bad.

Really, I think the ability to play SF4 at a basic level comes in before you add combos to the mix. Take a character into training mode, and look at all of their moves. Do all of their normals, all of their unique normals that require a directional input, all of their crouching normals, all of their neutral jump moves and all of their jump in moves.

If you can identify:
1. A reliable poke (A fireball or just a normal move)
2. A crouching move that you can special cancel with (For Ryu, cr.mk into hadouken)
3. A crossup jump-in
4. A reliable anti-air move
5. An easy move to punish whiffs (Balrog's headbutt, Ryu's shoryuken)
6. An overhead attack
then I think you'll have a well-rounded beginner's arsenal.

As far as I can tell, limiting yourself to a handful of your character's moves is a better way to learn the character than to try to keep the entire movelist in your mind. Button mashing happens, I think, when you don't really know what each move does so they're all pretty much interchangeable to you as long as they do damage. Focus on identifying a few specific-purpose moves and you can make sure that whenever you press a button, it's because you want a specific result.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Greenlit posted:

Drunk MMs are expensive.

you keep ducking me.
Iv got noone to get smashed with and moneymatch now.

tunaism
Dec 24, 2011

LeninVS posted:

you keep ducking me.
Iv got noone to get smashed with and moneymatch now.

I've got Canadian tire money and booze with your name on it.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

tunaism posted:

I've got Canadian tire money and booze with your name on it.

Add me on steam let's play.
Unless you're name is Mr Rascal.....then is rather clean my kitchen and end myself with a bottle of whiskey

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Embrace the beatdown, you'll come to love it. Need it.

I am a masochist now. 20 losses in a row just gets me hard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've only ever beaten Mr. Rascal once but I was playing with Elena and he was Hugo so I guess that win doesn't really count lol. I like playing against his Gief though because it's a super loving challenging/fun matchup for me.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Sade posted:

:pcgaming:Calling all Trykts:pcgaming:

I ran some sets with Sarchasm last night and he helpfully informed me that my playstyle (extremely boring and footsies-oriented) might better fit Ryu than Evil Ryu. Is good Ryu still worth playing in a world where Daigo won't even touch him? Please give me some intermediate-to-advanced Ryu tips. Thank.

I don't know much about how you play but I think "boring and footsies oriented" great for both Ryu and ERyu, maybe for slightly different reasons. Also yes, Ryu is plenty strong still. I think we don't see him in top-8s or grand finals much because he has some legitimately bad (as in 6-4, not unwinnably bad) match ups against characters that have highly skilled players representing them currently.

I think Daigo won't touch him because Eryu cr.mk into huge damage is too good to give up, plus stand MK and f.mk solve a lot of footsie problems Ryu can't with anything except "more patience."

I'll do an effortpost of my personal Ryu protips later tonight. I'll also be on to play games if anyone wants to bash their brains against a very mediocre but dedicated Ryu!

You should also listen to any Ryu tips Mio Bison gives. Having read a lot of his advice for the character in the past I can tell he's someone that's put in the time and effort on the character even if it's not his main, he knows and understands a lot of not-obvious solutions to problems Ryu runs into against certain characters.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Trykt posted:

I'll do an effortpost of my personal Ryu protips later tonight. I'll also be on to play games if anyone wants to bash their brains against a very mediocre but dedicated Ryu!

lookin forward to this

have you tried sfv yet? curious to your thoughts on next-gen ryu

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I played some of the first SF5 beta on PS4 at Boxcar's house, impressions of the game in general are "wow it's fuckin easy to figure out and do combos" and Ryu hits like a truck, which is cool/fun. Complete speculation but I think Ryu will be a high tier char due to parry, he can defeat high/low and left/right mix-ups with it since it doesn't require any directional input, and hit for a hojillion damage if he has any meter when he gets the parry.

Okay so SF4 Ryu protips:

His footsies revolve around cr.mk, regular fireball, and ex fireball. Sometimes you also gotta walk up and throw. That's pretty much it. Besides those things you're doing a lot of walking forwards or backwards or blocking, patience is key. While you're doing this, your best neutral spacing is different for every match-up, if your opponent has a good focus (fei, gen) then it revolves around that, if they have some meterless anti-fireball option (chun, blanka) then it revolves around that, and if they have a good metered anti-fireball option (bison, deejay, cammy, blanka again, fei long AGAIN, jesus-loving-christ the list goes ON) then it revolves around when they have THAT.

Good Ryu play depends a lot on EX fireball, knowing when to use it in place of your "random" (always try keep your fireball timings unpredictable) normal fireballs or when you should tack it onto cr.mk instead of a regular fireball. Some rules about EX fireball that might help:
1. Only use it if it's going to touch. It doesn't have to actually hit, but if you do ex fireball and they don't at least block it or you don't bait them into something you can punish then you wasted it and are a shithead. Never use it at full screen.
2. It's +1 at WORST, unlock regular fireball which is -6. +1 is enough time to sweep them before they jump if they hold up after blocking it. +1 also means it gives Ryu extended frametraps in the corner, since the fireball doesn't push them away there.
3. It comes out faster and recovers faster than regular fireball so you have time to anti-air a lot of reaction jumps that people go for when they think they see a regular fireball. It comes out and travels so fast you might just flat out catch them before they can do whatever reaction thing they wanted to try.
4. If either hit counter-hits at close-ish range (you'll usually do this from popping a focus), you can juggle with sweep after. This loving owns.

Speaking of anti-air, please PLEASE use fierce DP for this. It has 1 frame less of invincibility than MP dp but it does way more damage, especially if you luck into a counter hit. It can really add up in a single round. MP dp anti-air is mostly only for when you have the meter to cancel into ultra.

Also please optimize your punishes. Ryu doesn't find a lot of damage from hit confirms or mix-ups, but he excels at punishment damage. Please learn close MK xx fireball FADC close HP xx HP dp, this does really good damage and punishes TONS of stuff since close MK is 3 frames. If they whiff something really big then start with f.HP, then link to close MK for the rest of the combo. 400 damage for 2 bars and you don't even need ultra is pretty great. The meterless version of this is f.HP - close MK xx HP dp for ~300 damage. PLEASE learn this, they're easy links (2+ frames) that just take a little timing practice and people will gently caress with you relentlessly if you only ever punish with throws or dinky 2-pieces.

Other miscellaneous little tips:
1. Use EX tatsu vs. people that mash too much crouch tech on wake up (EX tatsu actually beats a ton of things people do on wake up, try it out)
2. If they like to mash backdash on wake up then close HK is a good automatic backdash punisher that can also lead to a hit confirm combo for decent damage.
3. If you hit them with DP FADC but don't have ultra loaded then your max damage follow-up is j.MP xx HK Tatsu. Use LK Tatsu for better positioning and advantage for a little less damage.
4. Mix f.HP into your frame traps. Not too much, just pepper it in, it can lead to gigantic surprise damage sometimes and is generally very safe to try.
5. cr.HP is a necessary anti-air in some match-ups, like Deejay. You can't DP everything, use his dumpy little uppercut for the things you can't.
6. When zoning, use LP fireball more (like 10x more) than you use HP fireball. Don't ask why, just do it and one day you will understand!

Okay that was real stream of consciousness but I hope some of that turns out to be useful!

Trykt fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 30, 2015

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
I'm having a ton of problems tonight

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

AfterFather posted:

I'm having a ton of problems tonight

Crashes? The game has crashed like 5 times for me. Putting me at the back of the line endless line. I played once in like 20 minutes.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Please add me to steam USFIV newbies so you can beat me and we can learn the game together!

*bows*

Steam ID: Social Justice Queen

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Himuro posted:

Please add me to steam USFIV newbies so you can beat me and we can learn the game together!

*bows*

Steam ID: Social Justice Queen

I think I added you, it said 2 friends in common. I'm also new and down for games whenever.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Trykt posted:

I played some of the first SF5 beta on PS4 at Boxcar's house, impressions of the game in general are "wow it's fuckin easy to figure out and do combos" and Ryu hits like a truck, which is cool/fun. Complete speculation but I think Ryu will be a high tier char due to parry, he can defeat high/low and left/right mix-ups with it since it doesn't require any directional input, and hit for a hojillion damage if he has any meter when he gets the parry.

Okay so SF4 Ryu protips:

His footsies revolve around cr.mk, regular fireball, and ex fireball. Sometimes you also gotta walk up and throw. That's pretty much it. Besides those things you're doing a lot of walking forwards or backwards or blocking, patience is key. While you're doing this, your best neutral spacing is different for every match-up, if your opponent has a good focus (fei, gen) then it revolves around that, if they have some meterless anti-fireball option (chun, blanka) then it revolves around that, and if they have a good metered anti-fireball option (bison, deejay, cammy, blanka again, fei long AGAIN, jesus-loving-christ the list goes ON) then it revolves around when they have THAT.

Good Ryu play depends a lot on EX fireball, knowing when to use it in place of your "random" (always try keep your fireball timings unpredictable) normal fireballs or when you should tack it onto cr.mk instead of a regular fireball. Some rules about EX fireball that might help:
1. Only use it if it's going to touch. It doesn't have to actually hit, but if you do ex fireball and they don't at least block it or you don't bait them into something you can punish then you wasted it and are a shithead. Never use it at full screen.
2. It's +1 at WORST, unlock regular fireball which is -6. +1 is enough time to sweep them before they jump if they hold up after blocking it. +1 also means it gives Ryu extended frametraps in the corner, since the fireball doesn't push them away there.
3. It comes out faster and recovers faster than regular fireball so you have time to anti-air a lot of reaction jumps that people go for when they think they see a regular fireball. It comes out and travels so fast you might just flat out catch them before they can do whatever reaction thing they wanted to try.
4. If either hit counter-hits at close-ish range (you'll usually do this from popping a focus), you can juggle with sweep after. This loving owns.

Speaking of anti-air, please PLEASE use fierce DP for this. It has 1 frame less of invincibility than MP dp but it does way more damage, especially if you luck into a counter hit. It can really add up in a single round. MP dp anti-air is mostly only for when you have the meter to cancel into ultra.

Also please optimize your punishes. Ryu doesn't find a lot of damage from hit confirms or mix-ups, but he excels at punishment damage. Please learn close MK xx fireball FADC close HP xx HP dp, this does really good damage and punishes TONS of stuff since close MK is 3 frames. If they whiff something really big then start with f.HP, then link to close MK for the rest of the combo. 400 damage for 2 bars and you don't even need ultra is pretty great. The meterless version of this is f.HP - close MK xx HP dp for ~300 damage. PLEASE learn this, they're easy links (2+ frames) that just take a little timing practice and people will gently caress with you relentlessly if you only ever punish with throws or dinky 2-pieces.

Other miscellaneous little tips:
1. Use EX tatsu vs. people that mash too much crouch tech on wake up (EX tatsu actually beats a ton of things people do on wake up, try it out)
2. If they like to mash backdash on wake up then close HK is a good automatic backdash punisher that can also lead to a hit confirm combo for decent damage.
3. If you hit them with DP FADC but don't have ultra loaded then your max damage follow-up is j.MP xx HK Tatsu. Use LK Tatsu for better positioning and advantage for a little less damage.
4. Mix f.HP into your frame traps. Not too much, just pepper it in, it can lead to gigantic surprise damage sometimes and is generally very safe to try.
5. cr.HP is a necessary anti-air in some match-ups, like Deejay. You can't DP everything, use his dumpy little uppercut for the things you can't.
6. When zoning, use LP fireball more (like 10x more) than you use HP fireball. Don't ask why, just do it and one day you will understand!

Okay that was real stream of consciousness but I hope some of that turns out to be useful!

This was exactly what I'm looking for, thanks a bunch friend.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Foodahn posted:

Crashes? The game has crashed like 5 times for me. Putting me at the back of the line endless line. I played once in like 20 minutes.

i hope it wasn't me somehow, either way ggs to the endless crew tonight

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Anyone a member of the SRK forums? I tried to sign up but it seems to require an invite from an existing member...

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Foodahn posted:

Yeah I was crashing a ton. My setup was also erased as well :negative:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Magus42 posted:

Anyone a member of the SRK forums? I tried to sign up but it seems to require an invite from an existing member...

email address?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Dan's is adorable and just screams "Here comes a special boy!"

Also lol at the skullomania troll

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Trykt posted:

close MK xx fireball FADC close HP xx HP dp

I haven't seen cl.MK used very often, good to know it can come in handy in a punish like this. As an addendum, you can juggle counterhit EX Fireball with HP DP instead of sweep up close, sacrificing hard knockdown for damage.

My two cents as a mediocre Ryu player from personal experience (and feel free to correct me if this is bad advice) is to beware over-reliance on cr.MK xx HP Fireball. Memorize the exact space at which that is not a true blockstring and learn to poke without canceling, because hoo boy you're gonna eat a lot of punishes otherwise and it will make you salty as gently caress. Basically, just set a character with a projectile invincible move (Balrog EX Headbutt, Dudley duck straight) or Ultra (Abel U1) to reversal timing and see if it punishes.

Trykt, what matchups would you suggest U2 over U1 in? The Bible lists Boxer, Honda, and Gief, but I'm skeptical on Boxer and curious if it's favorable in any others rather than just using the standard DP FADC U1.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

email address?

[redacted] should work :)

e: thanks

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 30, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

sent if you want to delete your email

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Magus42 posted:

srk forums are a treasure trove of great information and fantastic people... psyche :gonk:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Manoueverable posted:

I haven't seen cl.MK used very often, good to know it can come in handy in a punish like this. As an addendum, you can juggle counterhit EX Fireball with HP DP instead of sweep up close, sacrificing hard knockdown for damage.

My two cents as a mediocre Ryu player from personal experience (and feel free to correct me if this is bad advice) is to beware over-reliance on cr.MK xx HP Fireball. Memorize the exact space at which that is not a true blockstring and learn to poke without canceling, because hoo boy you're gonna eat a lot of punishes otherwise and it will make you salty as gently caress. Basically, just set a character with a projectile invincible move (Balrog EX Headbutt, Dudley duck straight) or Ultra (Abel U1) to reversal timing and see if it punishes.

Trykt, what matchups would you suggest U2 over U1 in? The Bible lists Boxer, Honda, and Gief, but I'm skeptical on Boxer and curious if it's favorable in any others rather than just using the standard DP FADC U1.

Close MK is actually a super cool normal for a couple of reasons! It moves Ryu forward really far and then backward really far. If you special cancel it then he only moves forward and never moves backward, so it enables combos where he would otherwise be pushed too far away. You can do f.HP - cl.MK xx EX fireball - U1 on like 95% of the cast thanks to this bit of jankiness. Try doing close MK over someone's wake up a half second before they finish standing, that's a fun little bait to sprinkle in.

And that's definitely good advice re: cr.mk xx fireball. You can and will get poo poo on for being predictable with it at ranges where it's not a true blockstring, which isn't that far. That's another use for EX fireball, since it comes out and travels faster it's a true block string from a bit further out than regular fireball. Good for if you're trying to pressure someone and want to make sure there's no gap in between.

I have not discovered a single match-up where I'd use U2 over U1. I think U2 can be a valid choice, as a style thing, like if you tend not to risk MP dp FADC and always save for EX dp FADC (since you get full animation on the juggle now), and it's also a big, easy thing to add after a focus crumple - not a lot of match-ups where Ryu's focus is a threat, but when you have one I could see taking U2 to make the most of it. There's some tricky, advanced ways to set up a full U2 offensively but really I see U2 as a punishment Ultra, i.e. something you can really only "expect" to get if the opponent gives you a big opportunity like a DP that isn't FADC'd or if they commit to something big and easy to see coming (Abel wheel kick, Adon full screen jaguar kick, any divekick that starts too high). These are mistakes I wouldn't count on from a really good player so I don't find myself wanting U2.

It also boils down to really knowing your punishes, because there are actually a lot of things where raw U1 is one of Ryu's best punishes - blocked T.Hawk Dive, blocked E.Honda U1, blocked Fuerte Q-Bomb. U2 doesn't work as a punish vs. those same things. In general U2 only lets you punish things Ryu can already punish "normally", just with upgraded damage and ease-of-use. Just another way U1 outstrips it for utility a lot of the time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Here's what I need to know on whether to use Ryu or E. Ryu:

Do you have ironclad 1 frame links? If the answer is yes, use evil Ryu.

If you drop that poo poo sometimes, use Ryu.

If you can never hit that poo poo (like me) then just forget that E. Ryu even exists on the character select screen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I drop my evil ryu combos all the time but I still find him more fun to play than regular ryu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Even if you're good with 1f links, if you plan on playing mostly (or always) online you're going to have to worry about 1f links under varying degrees of lag, it can be pretty obnoxious unless you're very picky with connection quality. E.Ryu bnb's can require many 1f links in a single combo, but it's even more problematic that he has jab 1f links with cr.LP, so you also want to have select on one of your face buttons. If you don't have a select button handy for plinking you're basically better off pretending LK Axe Kick>FADC>cr.LP>cl.HP doesn't exist, and that's one of his cheapest links since it'll work even on crouching opponents.

• Locked thread