Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

too bad he didn't turn you into a hood ornament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Squirrel Burger posted:

Apparently my camera wasn't running on my last trip. Wish it was, would've caught my pants-making GBS threads 65-mph death wobble on the highway that I somehow managed to ride through.

Taking the bike in tomorrow. Last two days the back wheel has been noticeably wobbling and the bike feels like it's jumping every few feet. Not sure what the issue is but not chancing it after tonight.

Wheel bearings? I had that once on an older bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Verge posted:

Wheel bearings? I had that once on an older bike.
Did it prevent you from making a successful pass?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Did it prevent you from making a successful pass?

:master:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Welcome to the club Verge, this will be the thing that you never live down.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nsaP posted:

Your only hope is to laugh at yourself and move on. This is best accomplished by signing on to #bieks in IRC.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

builds character posted:

Your only hope is to laugh at yourself and move on. This is best accomplished by signing on to #bieks in IRC.

These things happen when you put your shame on video; I'm just happy someone cares so much about me. Can someone give me an idiot's guide to IRC?

Verge fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 29, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nsaP posted:

But don't feel too bad. Razzled is known on IRC as "mailbox".
Because he pitched his brand new DRZ400SM into a mailbox.
After endoing it on the ride home from the dealer.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 29, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verge posted:

These things happen when you put your shame on video; I'm just happy someone cares so much about me. Can someone give me an idiot's guide to IRC?

mibbit.com - launch client, connect synirc, nick: passlikepaulwalker, room: #bieks

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Marxalot posted:

But don't feel too bad. Razzled is known on IRC as "mailbox". Because he pitched his brand new DRZ400SM into a mailbox. After endoing it on the ride home from the dealer.

To be fair to him, it's a DRZ. If it doesn't collide w/ something, you bought the wrong bike.

builds character posted:

mibbit.com - launch client, connect synirc, nick: passlikepaulwalker, room: #bieks

Thanks, brother.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yesterday was the day of horns for me.

-Woman pulling out onto a 50mph duel carriageway, stopped and looking to enter, I'd started slowed down thinking no way she's going to go now, just as she let the clutch go and shot out, luckily the lane next to me was empty (Checked as soon as i saw her) and i swerved to avoid whilst the van behind me (and myself) laid the horn on.

-Blind-ish corner on a 40mph stretch, saw lights in my lane and started slowing down and got on the brakes as a driver decided then was the perfect time to pull out of their drive into my lane, beeped at him and he flashed the hazards to say sorry but maaan that got my heart going.

-Van driver kept on creeping over and straddling my lane coming back from work without indicating, then veering back into his lane every time he seemed to notice 'oh poo poo there's a bright orange bike there', couldn't get past him and every time i backed off to let him in he changed his mind, then later on he decided to force his way into the slip lane i was on because gently caress white van driver man..

Add in the usual sprinkling of people following too closely to the cars in front and brakechecking all the time and the usual dumb drivers, god drat i cant wait to do my direct access so i can get a bike that can overtake these assholes :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

To be fair to him, it's a DRZ. If it doesn't collide w/ something, you bought the wrong bike.

Yes, I did.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
An evening of good gusts and my bike fell over. Again. :( In a completely unrelated note I love frame sliders a whole bunch.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

KARMA! posted:

An evening of good gusts and my bike fell over. Again. :( In a completely unrelated note I love frame sliders a whole bunch.

Really amazed this hasn't been resolved in the history of motorcycles.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verge posted:

wtf you think they invented the drz? drop it, destroy its engine and leave it on the freeway, run it into local flora, off-road, on-road, no problem.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

wtf you think they invented the drz? drop it, destroy its engine and leave it on the freeway, run it into local flora, off-road, on-road, no problem.

Chiche is the reason I never want to own a DRZ. I don't trust them, and would instead rather have a wr250x.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
don't believe in that gently caress head, believe in me

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

I believe

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Verge posted:

Garages were invented decades ago duder.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

I WANT to believe. Instead my view of drz has been soiled by ideas of it being a big, heavy, shaky, farm machinery sounding, unreliable, pile of bolts quickly moving away from each other.

When I think of the wr250x, I see a clean, lightweight, nimble, supermoto. Plus I like EFI.

CLEARLY, you just need to let me ride your sm to change my mindset. ;)

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Coydog posted:

I WANT to believe. Instead my view of drz has been soiled by ideas of it being a big, heavy, shaky, farm machinery sounding, unreliable, pile of bolts quickly moving away from each other.

When I think of the wr250x, I see a clean, lightweight, nimble, supermoto. Plus I like EFI.

CLEARLY, you just need to let me ride your sm to change my mindset. ;)

Get a WR450 instead.

VVV Yeah it's not terribly big, it's only heavy compared to converted MX bikes that actually need maintenance, the valvetrain sounds like a sewing machine and not a tractor, it's pretty reliable, and you can keep the bolts in place with loctite.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 21, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Coydog posted:

I think you've gotten it mixed up with a KLR.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

Some of us went down the used road like daredevils instead of buying a fresh bike. :coal:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Fresh bike best bike.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Some of us went down the used road like daredevils instead of buying a fresh bike. :coal:

I did some lovely wheelies today to check. My used DRZ is still fine. Maybe I'll do a compression test next time I have a reason to have the tank off the bike.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

I think you've gotten it mixed up with a KLR.

The military uses some KLR650s so it must be good, right? RIGHT?

Last week I was hitting a back road two-lane twisty, one I was quite familiar with but I had taken it in the opposite direction. I came out of an S-turn at about 95mph and evened out on a flat, straight road with a very slight incline. Just such that I couldn't see over this ever so tiny rolling hill at the top of it, and I thought to myself, "I'm PRETTY sure it continues on, straight like this". Nah, as soon as my line of sight crested over the top, I realized it was an IMMEDIATE sharp left and for about 0.0010 seconds (probably lmao) before I went into bullet-time, my heart sank through my rear end in a top hat and I was like "WELP THIS IS HOW IT ENDS" in sheer terror. :rip: Immediately though, it was like DON'T loving LOOK AT IT and so I averted my eyes and just looked through the turn, kept on the throttle and got my body locked in and loving nailed it. When I moved off the seat, suspended by my legs, the bike had a little bit of wobble until I locked in, and that was probably the scariest part. After that, I hit the following S-turn normally, and came to the end of this 'course' on flat boring road where I was definitely trembling.

it was fuckin' amazing

and yeah I was in full gear, before anyone asks if I was squidding around.

also I've been thinking about getting a DRZ for a while since they're cheap and probably fun as poo poo, but I feel like they'd be much better if I was in a more urban area. and there aren't really any places around here you can just go "oh I wonder where this dirt/gravel/whatever road goes" because it's probably private property.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Marxalot posted:

I did some lovely wheelies today to check. My used DRZ is still fine. Maybe I'll do a compression test next time I have a reason to have the tank off the bike.

OH AND THEN THERE'S THIS oval office

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tactical Lesbian posted:

there aren't really any places around here you can just go "oh I wonder where this dirt/gravel/whatever road goes" because it's probably private property.

Half the fun of a supermoto is riding it places you're not supposed to be uhhh, how nicely it commutes to work :angel:

I fondly remember night security guys trying to cut me off in a golf cart while I was on my old 690.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Half the fun of a supermoto is riding it places you're not supposed to be uhhh, how nicely it commutes to work :angel:

I fondly remember night security guys trying to cut me off in a golf cart while I was on my old 690.

I might have to make room for a third bike.. :homebrew:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hmmm... yes... hitting a trespassing motorcyclist with a golf cart absolutely falls under the realm of "observe and report":cop:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Don't look at it.

Target fixation (and poo poo judgement) is my absolute weakness. I get the inner voice telling me sixth sense poo poo (that cage gonna blindly switch lanes, etc.) as well as instructor poo poo but it doesn't stop me from target fixation. Target fixation, combined with poo poo judgement will probably kill me. Anyone got tips for how to resolve this? I've been commuting for 2 years and I'm gonna take the RSP this summer. Already did the BRT and IRT so 'take a class' was covered 2 years ago.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Verge posted:

Anyone got tips for how to resolve this?

Relax. If you're tense then you're going to crash, either by hitting the obstacle or locking your controls and lowsiding. In addition to not looking at the obstacle you have to not think about it either.

Look through the turn you want to make, and focus on staying chill so the bike can do its thing.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Tactical Lesbian posted:

OH AND THEN THERE'S THIS oval office

You should pull out the trustfund, sell some of those anime wallscrolls, and buy that wr450 I linked you :v:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Hmmm... yes... hitting a trespassing motorcyclist with a golf cart absolutely falls under the realm of "observe and report":cop:

I wish some sumos would come hoon it up at my work. I would definitely "observe and report join in"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Verge posted:

Target fixation (and poo poo judgement) is my absolute weakness. I get the inner voice telling me sixth sense poo poo (that cage gonna blindly switch lanes, etc.) as well as instructor poo poo but it doesn't stop me from target fixation. Target fixation, combined with poo poo judgement will probably kill me. Anyone got tips for how to resolve this? I've been commuting for 2 years and I'm gonna take the RSP this summer. Already did the BRT and IRT so 'take a class' was covered 2 years ago.

Learn to ride a bike faster in a safe, closed course environment. Target fixation occurs because you're out riding your mental limits at that speed, and your brain locks up and goes back into lizard mode, which says you keep your eyes on the bad thing. Unfortunately for a motorcycle rider, that means you ride into that thing.

The way you fix it is improve your mental limits, and the easiest way to do that is to get yourself to an environment where you can expose yourself to more speed, more lean angle, etc, in an easy, predictable place. Once your comfort with the bike leaning goes up, your mental lockup and target fixation goes away, because you're not approaching your personal limit for speed anymore.

Another thing that's interesting about target fixation is the bike only goes where you're looking if you're not actually controlling it. I once had an incident when I was a new-ish rider (maybe a year or so in?) where I target fixated on a guardrail in a decreasing radius corner, but the conscious part of my brain jammed on the inside bar, and I went around the corner like Rossi pushing Marquez wide. Felt like I was looking over my shoulder by the end of it.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Marxalot posted:

You should pull out the trustfund, sell some of those anime wallscrolls, and buy that wr450 I linked you :v:

but I'm broke right now

well, I'm hood rich right now, but my savings won't be sustainable over the next year if I don't get another good paying job and I drop the cash for a wr450 or drz400

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Mental blocks suck. I've been fighting one that I acquired sometime last spring in the mountains which I haven't been able to shake. My speed through the mountain twisties has taken an easy ~10 mph hit because of it and it's really annoying. There's a sweet double horseshoe turn that i used to be able to hit at like 38 mph but every time i've been back since it's been more like 28ish for some reason. I haven't had any close calls or crashes so I'm not sure where it came from.

Not what I need when I'm planning a trip to Deal's Gap next year!!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Chill bro there aren't any mailboxes on the gap.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Razzled posted:

Mental blocks suck. I've been fighting one that I acquired sometime last spring in the mountains which I haven't been able to shake. My speed through the mountain twisties has taken an easy ~10 mph hit because of it and it's really annoying. There's a sweet double horseshoe turn that i used to be able to hit at like 38 mph but every time i've been back since it's been more like 28ish for some reason. I haven't had any close calls or crashes so I'm not sure where it came from.

Not what I need when I'm planning a trip to Deal's Gap next year!!

The nice thing about it is you can do it over and over and over again! Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Thanks guys. I probably am being too tense. I'll relax a bit and try and hit a track.

• Locked thread