Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Weather Underground (lovingly wunderground) is being sold to IBM by The Weather Channel. Wonder what the fallout from this will be if any.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-ibm-acquires-weather-company-20151028-story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Solution: use weather.gov.

It's all the same data anyways, it just comes down to presentation.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I'm moving away from Evernote and grabbed Scanbot to replace Scannable. Scannable is amazing and works very quickly, and I see that Scanbot has a ton of features and tons of high praise, and will upload to my Google Drive.

What I'm wondering, though, is how to configure it to apply the B/W filters and make it appear like a Scannable's scans instead of just a cropped photograph. Do I need to buy some plugin or something? Am I missing setting? I want it to behave how scannable does, but instead of using Evernote upload to my google drive instead. Anyone who uses this have suggestions?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Weather Underground (lovingly wunderground) is being sold to IBM by The Weather Channel. Wonder what the fallout from this will be if any.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-ibm-acquires-weather-company-20151028-story.html
Weather Channel app seemed pretty good before they bought wunderground.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

xzzy posted:

Presentation is what matters though???????

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

xzzy posted:

This is some quality purestrain :goonsay:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have no idea what that means.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm going to make the bold assertion that for the average user, presentation > data source :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nothing I said disagrees with that.

I guess I could have avoided recommending some other weather information solution since that always seems to get people all fired up in here for some dumb reason.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

xzzy posted:

Nothing I said disagrees with that.

I guess I could have avoided recommending some other weather information solution since that always seems to get people all fired up in here for some dumb reason.

You're right.

Sorry for being a crabby-pants :(

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

use dark sky

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I use Hi-Def Radar, it owns.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Unacknowledged posted:

I'm moving away from Evernote and grabbed Scanbot to replace Scannable. Scannable is amazing and works very quickly, and I see that Scanbot has a ton of features and tons of high praise, and will upload to my Google Drive.

What I'm wondering, though, is how to configure it to apply the B/W filters and make it appear like a Scannable's scans instead of just a cropped photograph. Do I need to buy some plugin or something? Am I missing setting? I want it to behave how scannable does, but instead of using Evernote upload to my google drive instead. Anyone who uses this have suggestions?

Evernote owns because it incorporates OCR into all scanned items and you can then search for them from Evernote. Google Drive doesn't do that I don't think.

I actually don't use Evernote for anything but scans.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Weather Live tells me this morning: chance of rain 0%

Walk outside -- raining cats and dogs.

I want to ask what that weather program was that that everyone was talking about a few pages ago that tells you when it's about to rain, but now I'm afraid to :ohdear:

At least I know it wasn't dashlane :haw:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dark something Skies.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

baram. posted:

use dark sky

yes

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

baram. posted:

use dark sky

100%.

Everyone I've shown it to over the last year or two loving love it and now use it.

If you want some idea of what it works/looks like their website https://forecast.io is very similar.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

baram. posted:

use dark sky

yeah this

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Seriously, try Hi-Def Radar. Really awesome map integration and drop down weather (drop a pin and pull up weather anywhere). Highly customizable with NOAA Base Radar and/or Cloud Cover (satellite IR) with storm tracking. Comes with the option to buy and incorporate "fisherman's tools" (best time to fish) as well as Aviation Layers (Ice Air, Turb Air and others). Also neatly incorporates sharing tools, screenshotting, bookmarking of locations and on.

Currently on sale: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/noaa-hi-def-radar-pro-storm/id458225159?mt=8

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 28, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Look outside?

Actually, I use Yahoo Weather because I don't really care and the app is pretty. If I'm biking it's nothing to keep a rolled up goretex jacket in my biking bag.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

really stupid question- my job's wifi network is idiotic because instead of running one unified network they have separate networks, and if you walk too far away from one you're stuck on low strength until you switch manually to the stronger network.

is there a widget available for iOS that just shows a network list so that I can jump over to a different wifi network quickly without having to go into the settings each time?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

really stupid question- my job's wifi network is idiotic because instead of running one unified network they have separate networks, and if you walk too far away from one you're stuck on low strength until you switch manually to the stronger network.

is there a widget available for iOS that just shows a network list so that I can jump over to a different wifi network quickly without having to go into the settings each time?

No widget or NC thing that would do that - Wifi connection is all OS controlled, so if you wanted something like that you’d have to jailbreak. Best thing I can suggest is turning off autoconnect to Wifi and have iOS always ask you what network to join, which I’m pretty sure is doable through some settings.app finagling

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I like presentation in a weather app. (U.I. Layout, etc) but my main desire for wunderground is the neighborhood stations. I don't give a gently caress what the weather is like "in Seattle"
(Whatever that means) when I live like 7 miles away due north on the outskirts of Seattle.

I used Dark Sky back when it first came out. Just redownloaded. It claims tone "hyper local". Ok we'll give that a shot.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 29, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Feenix posted:

I like presentation in a weather app. (U.I. Layout, etc) but my main desire for wunderground is the neighborhood stations. I don't give a gently caress what the weather is like "in Seattle"
(Whatever that means) when I live like 7 miles away due north on the outskirts of Seattle.

I used Dark Sky back when it first came out. Just redownloaded. It claims tone "hyper local". Ok we'll give that a shot.

I live in the boonies and drive around a lot, and I've been impressed with Dark Sky's ability to push "it goan rain" to me and actually be accurate about it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

I live in the boonies and drive around a lot, and I've been impressed with Dark Sky's ability to push "it goan rain" to me and actually be accurate about it.

Yeah I'm digging this so far. So much more than it used to be.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
If you just need a radar you should absolutely be using RadarScope.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

xzzy posted:

the whole point of weather underground is that it uses local personal weather stations that aren't part of the NWS.

that's why they named themselves after terrorists

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Now that Sunrise is dead, is Fantastical 2 worth the $5? I really don't like the aesthetic of the screenshots I've seen but I can suck it up for a calendar that will be continually supported.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Millions posted:

Now that Sunrise is dead, is Fantastical 2 worth the $5? I really don't like the aesthetic of the screenshots I've seen but I can suck it up for a calendar that will be continually supported.

It's the best.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

baram. posted:

use dark sky

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Seriously, try Hi-Def Radar. Really awesome map integration and drop down weather (drop a pin and pull up weather anywhere). Highly customizable with NOAA Base Radar and/or Cloud Cover (satellite IR) with storm tracking. Comes with the option to buy and incorporate "fisherman's tools" (best time to fish) as well as Aviation Layers (Ice Air, Turb Air and others). Also neatly incorporates sharing tools, screenshotting, bookmarking of locations and on.

Currently on sale: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/noaa-hi-def-radar-pro-storm/id458225159?mt=8

Just got both, gonna pit them against each other tomorrow in the WEATHERDOME: two apps enter! One app leaves!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Michael Scott posted:

Evernote owns because it incorporates OCR into all scanned items and you can then search for them from Evernote. Google Drive doesn't do that I don't think.

I actually don't use Evernote for anything but scans.

Scanbot would be doing the OCR work in this flow, and it does so with aplomb I dare say.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

Scanbot would be doing the OCR work in this flow, and it does so with aplomb I dare say.

Scanner Pro has better document detection and good OCR, but I will say Scanbot has better OCR.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

flosofl posted:

Scanner Pro has better document detection and good OCR, but I will say Scanbot has better OCR.
Aside from Scanner Pro and Scanbot, are there other scanning apps to consider?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I need to record some long videos, about 30 minutes long, but I've found out the iPhone video camera doesn't record in anything other than 1080p, which would take up way too much space. Dunno why Apple assumed no one would ever want to record in a lower size on a device with limited storage space. I guess they don't want anyone ruining their "shot on iPhone" or whatever gimmick.

Does anyone know of any apps that will let me record in other resolutions? I've found one called mRecorder that is meant to, but it's failed to save the 30 minute long video twice. There's some paid ones on the app store, but I'm not buying anything without some seeing some recommendations first.

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.

sharktamer posted:

I need to record some long videos, about 30 minutes long, but I've found out the iPhone video camera doesn't record in anything other than 1080p, which would take up way too much space. Dunno why Apple assumed no one would ever want to record in a lower size on a device with limited storage space. I guess they don't want anyone ruining their "shot on iPhone" or whatever gimmick.

Does anyone know of any apps that will let me record in other resolutions? I've found one called mRecorder that is meant to, but it's failed to save the 30 minute long video twice. There's some paid ones on the app store, but I'm not buying anything without some seeing some recommendations first.

There's a 720p setting in the Photos & Camera settings.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sharktamer posted:

If you're going any sort of serious video work on an iPhone, get Filmic Pro

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is it normal behavior for Outlook app not syncing gmail draft emails? I can't seem to find a way to get it to sync at all.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

royalejest posted:

There's a 720p setting in the Photos & Camera settings.

Oh poo poo, I completely missed that and for some reason my googling suggested that it just wasn't possible to record in anything other than 1080p. Is this a new addition?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Millions posted:

I've been using it since it came out and I like it a lot. I tried Sunrise and it didn't do a whole lot for me. $5 isn't a lot of money for something you use all the time, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
It's good but one thing I don't like is that you can't accept or decline a meeting without sending a response, even for invitations that don't require one.