Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think that's because the general consensus is, with the majority of the Heisei Rider series after Agito, that they'd be fine/good/great if it wasn't for X.

Usually X is "a lovely ending" or "going off the rails", which Ryuki and Faiz, and Kabuto and Den-O are most guilty of.

Agito is fine but introduces us to the world of Inoue and all of his writing gimmicks for better and worse, and often the fight scenes REALLY suffered, being shoved to the end of an episode and then ending abruptly.

Blade is likely the best Heisei Rider series as a whole, post Kuuga- only ITS x factor is the fact that it's subs are presently incoherent.

For better or worse, while as of Double things got super formulaic and increasingly toy centric with Kamen Rider, it's also gotten a lot more stable. Now instead of having half of a good series and half of an awful one (Hibiki, Kiva, in two different ways!) we just get either Good, Okay, or Bad seasons. W being the stand out of the new group, Wizard being the low point, the others all vying for whatever position they land in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Agito is like Terminator 2 in that it's a good show in and of itself but it's setting up the franchise for much worse installments down the road

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Agito is fine but introduces us to the world of Inoue and all of his writing gimmicks for better and worse, and often the fight scenes REALLY suffered, being shoved to the end of an episode and then ending abruptly.

Though to be fair, Kuuga did that too at times. In fact, Kuuga's finale is (I believe) the only episode in the entire franchise where a Kamen Rider makes no appearance whatsoever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Though to be fair, Kuuga did that too at times. In fact, Kuuga's finale is (I believe) the only episode in the entire franchise where a Kamen Rider makes no appearance whatsoever.

See, here's the difference. Kuuga did that every now and again, yes, though often it was in the build up to a much bigger fight- Agito does it on a pretty regular basis, at the last two minutes, and then resolves it in the opening of the next episode really fast. If it bothers to. Some times it just forgets the fights happened.

Also, the fact that Kuuga did not appear in the finale is entirely story related and quite appropriate. I don't know why you would even want Kuuga to be in the finale. It was more of an epilogue anyways.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

See, here's the difference. Kuuga did that every now and again, yes, though often it was in the build up to a much bigger fight- Agito does it on a pretty regular basis, at the last two minutes, and then resolves it in the opening of the next episode really fast. If it bothers to. Some times it just forgets the fights happened.

Also, the fact that Kuuga did not appear in the finale is entirely story related and quite appropriate. I don't know why you would even want Kuuga to be in the finale. It was more of an epilogue anyways.

Didn't say I did, Kuuga actually had one of the better endings as far as Rider series' go (not to mention one of the most brutal final fights, ending with the Grongi leader and Kuuga wailing on each other in human form while Godai just breaks down entirely. Throughout the entire fight the Leader is laughing while Godai is crying, it's actually kind of unsettling to be honest, though in a good way), in fact I'd kind of like to see them try an entirely Riderless episode again one of these days. I was just saying that that's pretty much the way they handled the fights in the early Heisei era until Ryuki came along, I will agree that Kuuga handled it better than Agito did at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 28, 2015

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I am just in love with Star Ninninjer's upgraded form.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm closing in on the end of Agito myself, just 4 episodes away, and I've really enjoyed it so far. The story's been pretty interesting and engaging throughout, it actually did Amnesia pretty well and satisfyingly in my opinion, and it's had some of the best civilian scenes. Nobody's Ichijou level, of course, but Ozawa and Hojo are great and I love all the eating and talking scenes. Compared to modern riders where episodes can sometimes be too packed with fights and gags to slow down like that, it's pretty refreshing to have as much or more drama than punchy fights. The scenes with Kaoru Kino and his death without fanfare or funeral scenes or declarations of vengeance or anything were unexpected for me, but I liked them too.

I agree with its fight issues though. The majority of them end super abruptly. Maybe they should have sprung for longer songs to time the finishers to. DEEP BREATH! :v:

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 28, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

V-Men posted:

I am just in love with Star Ninninjer's upgraded form.

I am super Excited for Takaharu to take it after the first episode and it just be his

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm getting back on watching W and I love Philip and Shotaro dancing along to Wakana on the radio

It owns and I love them and their poo poo talking akiko and I love this show and I need to stop forgetting I'm watching it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you don't like Akiko your a goddamn hurler

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Literally The Worst posted:

If you don't like Akiko your a goddamn hurler

Personally I find her goddamn insufferable but then again everyone I know who's watched the full show says she gets better so maybe I'm just Not There Yet. I'm still at the point where Ryu is a frustrating-to-watch shitheel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Akiko performed a vital role in dragging away Philip's body all the time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shaezerus posted:

Personally I find her goddamn insufferable but then again everyone I know who's watched the full show says she gets better so maybe I'm just Not There Yet. I'm still at the point where Ryu is a frustrating-to-watch shitheel.

she owns from minute one, actually, i love her so much

hitler

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"Akiko is funny and I like when she hits Shotaro with the slipper." - my little brother, a member of the target audience

That said, I genuinely like Akiko, especially in her interactions with Ryu in the Accel movie. She's cute and funny and makes some fantastic faces, and she owns in the dream episode. I would've liked her to become a bit more Chief-like, but she's cool whenever she takes initiative and I still liked her plenty.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

so for people who are aware of things like the toys;

does the DX Gan Gan saber for Ghost actually do all the transformations that it has in the show, or is each mode a completely different toy?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

"Akiko is funny and I like when she hits Shotaro with the slipper." - my little brother, a member of the target audience

That said, I genuinely like Akiko, especially in her interactions with Ryu in the Accel movie. She's cute and funny and makes some fantastic faces, and she owns in the dream episode. I would've liked her to become a bit more Chief-like, but she's cool whenever she takes initiative and I still liked her plenty.

I hated her interactions with Ryu in the Accel movie, but mainly because it was incredibly demeaning to the relationship they built up during the series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

V-Men posted:

I hated her interactions with Ryu in the Accel movie, but mainly because it was incredibly demeaning to the relationship they built up during the series.

He basically waited on her hand and foot while she went into hysterics at every opportunity. It was not a very healthy marriage.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

so for people who are aware of things like the toys;

does the DX Gan Gan saber for Ghost actually do all the transformations that it has in the show, or is each mode a completely different toy?

It can switch between four modes by itself (sword, gun, double sword and...rod or something?), but for the rest of the modes (like bow) it needs other toys to link up with.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Blaze Dragon posted:

It can switch between four modes by itself (sword, gun, double sword and...rod or something?), but for the rest of the modes (like bow) it needs other toys to link up with.

I think the Rod is the Naginata from this episode? Unless Double Sword is that?

Pretty interesting it has that much functionality, I'd have imagined it'd be a different thing for each one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

I think the Rod is the Naginata from this episode? Unless Double Sword is that?

Pretty interesting it has that much functionality, I'd have imagined it'd be a different thing for each one.

By double sword I meant Musashi's thing, two swords. It's likely the naginata, though honestly I wouldn't know, I dropped Ghost after the second episode because it just wasn't doing anything for me and I'm busy at this time of the year, I'll pick it up if it gets better.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If you're interested in toys I'd recommend searching for reviews on youtube.
yeah, it's another step down the rabbit hole since they can be as nerdy or dry as you'd expect (unless you are watching youheidx) but then you will at least know what you are in for if you spend money on them, or at least satisfy your curiosity about them without spending money.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Acne Rain posted:

since they can be as nerdy or dry as you'd expect
Excuse you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjK_kSw1_uY

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

This guy is the best; he's basically the guy I watch because I like that it's just 'here's the poo poo and what it does' rather then trying to sell a brand or whatever.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

V-Men posted:

It was a little dumb in Accel, but Movie War Core is the only time I really disliked how she was written.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Akiko was really annoying to me for the first couple episodes but she grew on me fast and had some really good moments throughout the series.

Her role in Movie Wars Core was pretty awful but honestly most of Movie Wars Core was pretty awful.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Skull was completely awesome and it's a crying shame he was relegated to two terrible movies.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skull was the sole redeeming factor of both of those movies.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I'm glad for the Skull segment of Movie War Core because at least then it wasn't a total waste of my time. Fun fact, the OOOs segment, which I maintain as the worst tokusatsu I have ever watched? Written by Toshiki Inoue. Of loving course

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

I'm glad for the Skull segment of Movie War Core because at least then it wasn't a total waste of my time. Fun fact, the OOOs segment, which I maintain as the worst tokusatsu I have ever watched? Written by Toshiki Inoue. Of loving course
So, I looked him up because I couldn't remember just which KRs he was responsible for (answer: way too loving many), and I learned two three things:

1. Toshiki Inoue even looks like an evil scientist in a Kamen Rider series.

2. He's also behind the anime of Yu-Gi-Oh, which explains so much.

Edit for 3. And Zyuranger and Timeranger? What? :psyduck:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 29, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, I looked him up because I couldn't remember just which KRs he was responsible for (answer: way too loving many), and I learned two three things:

1. Toshiki Inoue even looks like an evil scientist in a Kamen Rider series.

Edit for 3. And Zyuranger and Timeranger? What? :psyduck:

I can only imagine he wasn't the main force behind those two in the last one.

He WAS the main guy behind Jetman which explains way too much for my burning hate for that stupid show.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Inoue wrote a handful of episodes for those shows, so that hardly even counts.

He was the main writer for Agito, Faiz, Kiva, and the second half of Hibiki.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
If there's an episode with a boring rivalry due to misunderstandings and tepid drama stewing throughout the whole thing then there's a good chance Inoue wrote it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Poison Mushroom posted:

Only the very original series. He had nothing to do with Duel Monsters onward. This again makes sense, Inoue have never really cared for fights or using his toy gimmicks or setting ground rules for his battles. So if you notice that a lot of the time Agito or Kiva just completely loving curbstomp the monsters they fight that's an Inoue thing. Also if you noticed stuff like Faiz Accel or Kiva's Bron Booster or half the fuestles in the series were unused or underused? That's also Inoue. Thus when you watch Toei's Yugioh and you notice that the show doesn't even pay lipservice to the game having rules, or there's a noticeable lack of threat or tension in the matchs, or they invent interesting ideas or cards that completely flop and are underutilized you can guess it's Inoue. Sadly I don't think anyone fell into a large body of water. Later Yugioh, especially starting GX, was generally pretty good at following the rules, and is really spot on in terms of cinematography to make their increasingly elaborate and goofy card game theatrics enjoyable and dramatic.

Really Inoue is one of those people who needs to be kept on a leash. He slipped the chain when he made Shougeki Gouraigan and the result was a show about a parade super powerful jerks with dumb rivalries due to misunderstandings, and as the icing on the cake the very first scene of the very first episode was the main character being dropped into the ocean. I am still genuinely amazed that that one episode of Fourze in Kyoto where there's that stupid misunderstanding with the random girl of the week and Gentaro falls in water wasn't written by Inoue, it's so very him.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Let's not forget the most infamous thing Inoue has ever written, the Kamen Rider Faiz novel.

AKA the in-canon novel where the lead female of the series gets violently raped.

Because, you know, that's what kids who are fans of Kamen Rider want to see.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Dexie posted:

Let's not forget the most infamous thing Inoue has ever written, the Kamen Rider Faiz novel.

AKA the in-canon novel where the lead female of the series gets violently raped.

Because, you know, that's what kids who are fans of Kamen Rider want to see.

This is so unbelievably ridiculous that I thought it was some kind of weird hyperbole.

It was not hyperbole.

I have now been exposed to something which, miraculously, made me respect Inoue even less.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's sad is this kind of thing is not out of the usual for him.

I have a lot of issues with Jetman- like, a lot- but after it turned Fo Serious Yo, one of the first things to happen is the Black Condor cornering White Swan in an elevator, physically not allowing her to leave, and getting very, very touchy and rapey around her.

So the fact that Inoue, when not constrained by a kids TV show label, when he's already pulling poo poo like that, would pull poo poo like that? Not a surprise.

AND HEY GUYS NOW HE'S ONE OF THE WRITERS OF THE NEW GARO ANIME

loving JOY TO THE WORLD

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Why does anyone still let him near television scripts?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Why does anyone still let him near television scripts?

A better question would be, why is this man writing for children's television in the first place? Also, I know Japan has different censorship standards than we do but how exactly did a novelization of a kid's show that contains a rape scene get published to begin with? I haven't actually read it myself (are there even english translations for the Kamen Rider novels available?) so I don't know exactly how explicit it was but it still strikes me as a terrible idea.

After all, even with those restraints Kusaka was already bad enough in the series itself, coming off more as a primary antagonist rather than the Secondary Rider he was supposed to be (though to be fair, almost everyone in Faiz was a terrible person in some way. The only characters I really liked were the Orphenoch trio).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 29, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Ghost line of S.H. Figuarts are gonna be shown off at Tamashii Nations.

I'm gonna buy one.

Other figures of note that are gonna be shown off are SIC Gaim and Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm not generally a big fan of the SIC series, but SIC Gaim looks incredibly cool.

• Locked thread