Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

Then what you're saying is that the game has good roguelike game design, not that the mutations are balanced.

You know, balance doesn't have to mean that everything is averaged. It can be a balance between good and bad, a balance between strong and weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

CJacobs posted:

A while back they changed it so that it applies your damage to the enemy before the enemy's damage is applied to you, for coding hierarchy reasons. What this resulted in is enemies that are under the damage threshold dying instantly upon touching you, without doing any damage to you, even if they're an enemy that does contact damage. This was actually an unintentional bug, but they liked it so much that they changed it a little bit and made it the standard behavior. So they made it so that enemies that do contact damage to you but have low health (anything less than 7, so most enemies you have damaged with a gun and lab freaks by default) die without hurting you. Enemies that DON'T do contact damage just straight-up die.

Also an older change than this, depending on the last time Geight tried it: Proccing gamma guts does AOE damage in about the same radius as a grenade launcher explosion. Also to expand on previous mentioned snow walker hugs: Running in a straight line through the disc walkers lets you kill them and get far enough away to not be exploded yourself.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It can also safe your life against the charging robots if you get enough time to hurt them but not kill them before they get to you.

I mean, it's not the best mutation in the world but I find it useful sometimes.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

How the heck do you handle Elite Shield Cops? I can loop fairly regularly but I also know exactly when one of my loop runs will end, i.e. the second an elite shield guy spawns. I've killed them a few times but it never feels like anything but luck (they spawn in a position where I'm already out of their LoS and can easily and safely peek out to shoot them for like a solid minute).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You play the game and have fun until it decides to spawn one, then when it does you observe your fine score on that run and go play something else.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

megane posted:

How the heck do you handle Elite Shield Cops? I can loop fairly regularly but I also know exactly when one of my loop runs will end, i.e. the second an elite shield guy spawns. I've killed them a few times but it never feels like anything but luck (they spawn in a position where I'm already out of their LoS and can easily and safely peek out to shoot them for like a solid minute).

Strafe, try not to be standing right next to a wall (so the plasma doesn't explode right behind you) and just keep moving and shooting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah if you have room to strafe they're not bad. Also now that their plasma bursting had its hitmask reduced you can block their shots with melee as long as you keep your distance+time it properly, and the plasma blowing up on walls isn't as much of an issue.

As soon as one spawns, you just gotta always keep in mind where they are. When they teleport, your #1 task is locating where they teleported to. The sound of their teleportation is good for this if you're wearing earbuds/headphones.

e:by the way, the Devastator is actually pretty nice now with trigger fingers(and laser brain)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 28, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Was looking at the B skin unlock requirements since I have maybe 2/3 of them now, looked up chickens and hahaha yeah that is never happening :laffo:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So I've been having a lot of fun with this game recently and have been primarily using Robot as my go-to character, gobbling up all of the weapons that I come across.

This has probably been asked before but it's always interesting to hear: what are people's favorite characters to play as?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tried out heavy heart a couple times and didn't see almost any weapons dropping. I'm thinking it needs a buff if I wasn't just getting unlucky, considering how minor its effect is when you've already spent 3 mutations on weapon specific things and still need to pick up some essentials.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So I've been having a lot of fun with this game recently and have been primarily using Robot as my go-to character, gobbling up all of the weapons that I come across.

This has probably been asked before but it's always interesting to hear: what are people's favorite characters to play as?
Going ballistic with Steroids. One time I hosed up and ended up with a Wave gun and a Gatling Slugger with Throne Butt and it was awesome.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I basically only play crystal because her blocking ability is my crutch (i am a bad player). For 'fun' runs (i.e. non-dailies) I play robot, steroids, eyes, Y.V. mainly. I really dig robot, but playing too much crystal always leads to me eating my primary weapon when I reflexively try to shield.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Steroids, by far. The dual-wielding has me completely spoiled whenever I try a different character. I like to use a crossbow (with homing bolts) as primary, with a crowd-clearing/"oh poo poo" weapon (flak cannon, hyper rifle, etc.) as secondary.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah steroids owns

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Horror is cute

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I really hate rebel, except when it all goes together, then I really loving love rebel.

eyes4lyfe though.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Between Rogue and Melting, I just want to see things blow up. Especially the IDPD. But I think all the characters are fun to play as. Except Eyes. He's just too unremarkable. Also finding out Gamma Guts invalidates a lot more enemies than I thought makes me wanna just roll around as Fish like a green blur.

Mr. Despair posted:

eyes4lyfe though.

wth

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I switch characters a lot but have consistently gone the farthest with Robot.

Also, switching from Crystal to anyone else is a bit jarring but even worse with Robot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Fish because his B-skin is pretty cool and he never, ever runs out of ammo. A lot of the time I die because I'm trying to pick my shots to conserve ammo but with Fish I can just really lay on the trigger.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I try and cycle out the characters but I'm really into steroids and plant, when I finally get a frog pistol on someone I'll probably like frog too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Between Rogue and Melting, I just want to see things blow up. Especially the IDPD. But I think all the characters are fun to play as. Except Eyes. He's just too unremarkable. Also finding out Gamma Guts invalidates a lot more enemies than I thought makes me wanna just roll around as Fish like a green blur.

wth

Eye's has the best shades, you know it.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I like Plant because his speed lets him get away from more bullet hell bullshit faster and his vines turn any choke point into a killing field.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

Eye's has the best shades, you know it.

2nd to Rogue.

But really I can't get into Eyes. Unless one of his ultras let's him capture and fling projectiles with his active, he feels like the character you choose if you don't want abilities. (or fashion sense)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Abundant Atrophy posted:

2nd to Rogue.

But really I can't get into Eyes. Unless one of his ultras let's him capture and fling projectiles with his active, he feels like the character you choose if you don't want abilities. (or fashion sense)

That is basically what one of his ultras does, but I don't like him for that. He's just good at controlling crowds, being able to just stand there and drag enemies around the corner 1 by 1 to their doom. Works great with a crossbow and trigger fingers, not to mention he makes the throne fight super easy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Getting a little sick of losing because 5-3 decides to spawn me in a narrow hallway with no good way to deal with Lil' Hunter.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

That is basically what one of his ultras does, but I don't like him for that. He's just good at controlling crowds, being able to just stand there and drag enemies around the corner 1 by 1 to their doom. Works great with a crossbow and trigger fingers, not to mention he makes the throne fight super easy.

I feel my mind has been opened.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't know if they nerfed it but eye's throne butt + euphoria is fun to try once

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Eyes is my favorite "easy mode" character. If you get throne butt and euphoria on him, he completely neutralizes a lot of enemies in the game and mostly neutralizes a lot of others, and even without them his active is still super awesome. Crowd control, pulling enemies off one by one, yanking in powerups from huge distances, pulling weapons with you into the ending portal, lots of fun stuff going on with it. I almost hate playing other characters now because how much I miss his active. Both of his ultras are garbage though, with one being so bad it actively makes the game harder and the other only situationally making the game harder.

The other character I like playing as is Melting. Corpsplosions are fun, and I like the whole "don't get hit a single time" game. I just did a full run with him (no loop) without taking rhino skin or strong soul and it was really fun! (B skin acquired, whoo)

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

oddium posted:

i don't know if they nerfed it but eye's throne butt + euphoria is fun to try once

With both you can pretty much stand still and not be touched by throne one or two.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Getting a little sick of losing because 5-3 decides to spawn me in a narrow hallway with no good way to deal with Lil' Hunter.
I'd rather that than spawning in a open field with a million yeti and wolves and having to clear them out before he shows up.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yung Venuz is cool cute.
Edit - no popo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
YV is weirdly cute, and I think it's probably because he's just a triangle with plain stick extremities. He's just a triangle that likes money.

edit: In fact, looking at his character art, he's rendered in "3D" as a cone. He's not even, like, pyramid-shaped or anything.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

YV has like the most boring abilities though. I never really saw the appeal. And yet he gets a super awesome level dedicated to him. Why don't Melting and Eyes get levels dedicated to them?

It's not fair, it's not right.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CJacobs posted:

YV is weirdly cute, and I think it's probably because he's just a triangle with plain stick extremities. He's just a triangle that likes money.

edit: In fact, looking at his character art, he's rendered in "3D" as a cone. He's not even, like, pyramid-shaped or anything.

specifically, he's a dead body lootin', mutant shootin' Venus youthin', rootin' tootin', Luger totin' Ruger loadin', bullet throwin', way too long grenade holdin' triangle

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Chicken is obviously the best, since you get to start the game with a friend.

Second best is melting.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

GlyphGryph posted:

YV has like the most boring abilities though. I never really saw the appeal. And yet he gets a super awesome level dedicated to him. Why don't Melting and Eyes get levels dedicated to them?

It's not fair, it's not right.

it probably helps that YV is from a previous game that they made

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

2 yung 2 die

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rebel is cute, and good. Fighting with an army is the best. Plant might be my best character though, since that snare makes so many enemies easier to deal with, especially snowbots and rad dogs.

CJacobs posted:

He's sorta triangly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I've never been able to deal with Lil' Hunter! The fact they change his design around so often probably contributes to that. Right now if I don't stupidly die to his landing flames (blue flames on snow city, why :gonk:) I die because I don't have space to maneuver and I'm about to eat forty very slow, tightly packed, bouncing projectiles.

• Locked thread