Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Grondoth posted:

She drinks hella strong wine instead.

She seems like the kind of elf that gets drunk swilling wine coolers then insults the rest of the bar until she pukes in a plant and passes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Alkydere posted:

Oh, how did the Lizardmen get the shaft? The Skaven blowing up the moon in factionalism and then having most of the chunks land on themselves was pretty damned funny.

The Lizardmen's thing has always been that they're the original servants of the Old Ones who created most of the WHF races and have been trying to keep this planet running the way the Old Ones envisioned despite Chaos loving everything up constantly.

After the mummified corpse of one of their greatest leaders who is too magical and hardcore to really be fazed by having died thousands of years ago swatted aside most of the falling chunks of the moon, the Lizardmen decided the world was basically unsalvageable, hopped in an Aztec Ziggurat Space Ship and flew off.

Later nerdsssssss

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
One of my friends who does play the miniatures game told me that Space Marines by themselves outsold the entire of fantasy combined, so I totally get why they'd reinvent that as a business decision, but gently caress - all the fantasy stuff is just so loving cool.

But I'm hoping for a huge glut of Warhammer fantasy games now they don't care about revenue cannibalisation to play around in the universe, because there's no way I'd actually buy the miniatures.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Night10194 posted:

They got in their spaceships and peaced out.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Out of curiosity from someone who never played Fantasy, how was all of this revealed? Was there a series of End Times official books, or did the next generation's rule book go "rocks fall everyone dies now fantasymarines"

There are official books and also addendum rules to Warhammer fantasy for endtimes that reflect some of the changes that happen (The elf teams uniting, Karl Franz getting possessed by Sigmar, Nagash uniting the undead). The books are generally considered pretty universally bad and kill of several HUGELY important named characters offscreen (One of two of whom were main focuses of previous end times books) and give them one line references to their offscreen death in later books. One of these was the Ork leader Grimgor Ironhide who previously stopped the end of the world in the Storm of Chaos campaign by headbutting the head Chaos guy in the dick right before he claimed victory.

If you read the d4chan wiki entry on end times it gives you a pretty good idea of what all goes down.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They also have the main Chaos Guy kill one of the biggest Skaven guys, Thanquol, off screen to try to prove how cool he is.

It didn't work, all the 'Archaon easily kills X interesting or fun character' stuff just made him look lamer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Killing off Grimgor Ironhide and making Malekith the Secret Bestest Goodguy were probably the two dumbest singular things in the End Times. Grimgor is the best :colbert:

Good god everything about Malekith what the hell.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It seems to have been written by the kind of people who think that cause Darth Vader said the death star was going to end the rebel alliance, it should've ended the rebel alliance.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

DeathSandwich posted:

One of these was the Ork leader Grimgor Ironhide who previously stopped the end of the world in the Storm of Chaos campaign by headbutting the head Chaos guy in the dick right before he claimed victory.

Deserving of special goonish praise because up until that point they'd been on the same side and Grimgor just didn't want the guy to get all the credit.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, everything I've heard about End Times sounds stupid as hell, so I'm choosing to ignore it and instead believing that Vermintide is a Terminator 2 style 'change the future' story where your team saved the world through sheer badass-ed-ness.

Mostly because the entire game is about fighting the End Times. Games where you kick rear end and take names and then have your victories completely invalidated by story elements beyond your control are not deep or tragic, they're just stupid as hell.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Grondoth posted:

It seems to have been written by the kind of people who think that cause Darth Vader said the death star was going to end the rebel alliance, it should've ended the rebel alliance.
Well I suppose there's only so many times you can write 'and then the champion of chaos decided to go end the world. Oh but he didn't and the world's still ok' before you eventually have to follow through, right? Those guys have been trying to do that for years!

In fact there's a board game called Chaos in the Old World where you're all playing as one of the 4 Ruinous Powers (Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch) in a race to destroy the Old World (including where we are in Vermintide) the fastest. The expansion for it includes the skaven and their God the Horned Rat to play as. Good fun.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So they had that huge fantasy world setup, with tons of fluff, and then decided to gently caress it all in the hope that Sigmarines sell better ?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Metos posted:

Well I suppose there's only so many times you can write 'and then the champion of chaos decided to go end the world. Oh but he didn't and the world's still ok' before you eventually have to follow through, right? Those guys have been trying to do that for years!

In fact there's a board game called Chaos in the Old World where you're all playing as one of the 4 Ruinous Powers (Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Teeth) in a race to destroy the Old World (including where we are in Vermintide) the fastest. The expansion for it includes the skaven and their God the Horned Rat to play as. Good fun.

Warhammer Fantasy has always been kind of different from 40k. 40k was the grimdark one where a grisly end to All That Is is assured, it's just a question of which flavor of Grisly End was going to ultimately finish off that crapsack galaxy.

Warhammer Fantasy didn't really have that sort of fatalism attached. It certainly wasn't cheery but the sense of assured doom simply wasn't there. That's part of why this End Times thing is so damned annoying. The other part is how poorly written and badly handled in general it was.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Hammerstein posted:

So they had that huge fantasy world setup, with tons of fluff, and then decided to gently caress it all in the hope that Sigmarines sell better ?

GW are not smart. Or they're the smartest company out there.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Well, Fantasy wasn't making them any money so they decided to make a pay-to-win tabletop game in the form of Age of Sigmar, presumably hoping for whales to buy absolutely ridiculous armies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically, Vermintide reflects Fantasy perfectly. poo poo's gone terrible, rats and monsters are everywhere, but there's no reason a group of heroes can't crack the occasional joke, be buddies, and kill a bazillion ratmen to save the day.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Metos posted:

In fact there's a board game called Chaos in the Old World where you're all playing as one of the 4 Ruinous Powers (Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch) in a race to destroy the Old World (including where we are in Vermintide) the fastest. The expansion for it includes the skaven and their God the Horned Rat to play as. Good fun.

Having the End times reshape the world, change up factions, and set up for a new edition is cool. Completely scrapping the line in a really lame deus ex machina is not. Setting Warhammer 9th edition in a WHFB version of Dark Sun or Fallout woud have been fine and cool. Instead we get bad elemental realms setting with no real connection to the last one.

It also really doesn't help that the cool characters were getting killed by really lame ones.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Warhammer Fantasy has always been kind of different from 40k. 40k was the grimdark one where a grisly end to All That Is is assured, it's just a question of which flavor of Grisly End was going to ultimately finish off that crapsack galaxy.

Warhammer Fantasy didn't really have that sort of fatalism attached. It certainly wasn't cheery but the sense of assured doom simply wasn't there. That's part of why this End Times thing is so damned annoying. The other part is how poorly written and badly handled in general it was.

This: Warhammer Fantasy was far more hopeful. The forces of chaos have demons, corruption, disease, monsters, magic etc. on their side but are beaten back by the sheer doggedness and determination of humans and the remaining elder races. Thousand year old demons and superhuman champions versus a fisherman from Nuln conscripted into service and handed a handgun who ends up WINNING! There is co-operation, trade and even levity in WHFB compared to "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war".

Then the Endtimes happened and flushed it down the toilet.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dezztroy posted:

Well, Fantasy wasn't making them any money so they decided to make a pay-to-win tabletop game in the form of Age of Sigmar, presumably hoping for whales to buy absolutely ridiculous armies.

What's funny about this is that "not making any money" really just means "compared to 40k". Warhammer Fantasy was still the the #2 game on the market but by goly it's not doing as good as #1 so we might as well throw a moon into it!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BombiTheZombie posted:

This: Warhammer Fantasy was far more hopeful. The forces of chaos have demons, corruption, disease, monsters, magic etc. on their side but are beaten back by the sheer doggedness and determination of humans and the remaining elder races. Thousand year old demons and superhuman champions versus a fisherman from Nuln conscripted into service and handed a handgun who ends up WINNING! There is co-operation, trade and even levity in WHFB compared to "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war".

One of my favorite details in the old Mark of Chaos trailer is one of the Empire swordsmen gets knocked over and as the Chaos Warrior is about to kill him, manages to sit up and slam his sword up through a gap in the guy's plate. It happens in a split-second and the camera cuts away after, but that's pretty much the most badass way to go out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, they could have done such cool stuff but instead they had someone's fanfic Chaos Mary Sue kill off all the cool people because he is just the greatest omg you guys seriously.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ironically the biggest problem is that they didn't GW it hard enough and have the end times last for decades. Could have pumped out tons of rule books and stuff as things slowly got worse and worse. Instead they just rushed through so fast they could kill people fast enough.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

BombiTheZombie posted:

Elves come in two flavours: The idiot Legolas that gets murdered off screen and then quits, and the tryhard sperglord that has a fit if people don't do exactly as they said, run off alone because they are "that good" then die and ragequit.

You'd be surprised just how much banning the elf does to get chill and good people into your games.

Had this last night, but with a Saltzpyre, my only guess is they were playing Saltzpyre instead of elf because elf was already taken.

They legitimately got angry when we didn't do the ammo room strat for the horn and tried to die repeatedly in protest.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Metos posted:

Dunno, they've been doing it in WH40K with Chaos throwing 12 Black Crusades out of the Eye of Terror lead by Abbadon the Armless (his model was infamous for having its arms just fall off). Each time they've been pushed back, turning Abbadon from Armless to Harmless and one giant Starscream in terms of effectiveness. Of course instead of rolling with it, letting the good(ish) guys have their victories and giving Chaos non-Crusade victories they retconned harder than the Tea Party ever has and said "Oh, yeah, the Black Crusades totally weren't aimed at trying to destroy Earth, they only wanted to wreck planets X, Y and Z, which they totes did!" all while playing up the next one which will be different because "13 is evil, you see!"...but to do that they'll have to move the series ahead in time to the 41st millenium and then the series's name won't be accurate anymore!

In short, instead of admitting they're not the best writers Games Workshop doubles down like teenagers being told their totally badass fursona (totes original, do not steal) is rather, well, dumb. Basically, as I said, Games Workshop is a company that somehow manages to make money despite themselves. They take themselves too seriously and can't roll with punches and go hyper-critical the moment someone tries to give even constructive criticism.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 28, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GW is the Sonic Team of wargaming.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Night10194 posted:

That makes us Sonic fans. :smithicide:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Alkydere posted:

In short, instead of admitting they're not the best writers Games Workshop doubles down like teenagers being told their totally badass fursona (totes original, do not steal) is rather, well, dumb. Basically, as I said, Games Workshop is a company that somehow manages to make money despite themselves. They take themselves too seriously and can't roll with punches and go hyper-critical the moment someone tries to give even constructive criticism.

From what I've seen of their design philosophy - for their video games anyway, if not the actual tabletop stuff - it seems like they like just throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it really doesn't.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I can't find a good reason to counter this with and it makes me sad, so let's say that at least GW makes -some- good games anymore, even if indirectly.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
So how is age of sigmar selling? Like hotcakes? Somehow I doubt it.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Alkydere posted:

These are the people that called their miniatures "Small glimmering jewels of magic and wonder" in their financial report. They write like Creative Writing 101 dropouts and they refuse to believe that they could be at fault in any way, shape or form.

In a fair universe, Warhammer would have been in the hands of competent people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BombiTheZombie posted:

In a fair universe, Warhammer would have been in the hands of competent people.

Seems like it was, at one point, but those people have long ago fled the company or been "disappeared" by the board of trustees

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Games workshop is clearly in trouble as seen by the way they're furiously handing out their IPs to anyone who will make some money for them. See: The goddamn E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy devs of all the people making a space hulk game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Games workshop is clearly in trouble as seen by the way they're furiously handing out their IPs to anyone who will make some money for them. See: The goddamn E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy devs of all the people making a space hulk game.

E.Y.E. is like Warhammer parsed through a bunch of translators high on LSD though. So i'm not quite sure they're the worst pick.

Edit: Also, you better not be talking poo poo about that Deathwing game. Because that project looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Actually this is the best decision they've ever made.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It is, but not for the reasons games workshop thinks it is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

What's funny about this is that "not making any money" really just means "compared to 40k". Warhammer Fantasy was still the the #2 game on the market but by goly it's not doing as good as #1 so we might as well throw a moon into it!

Space Marines outsold the entire warhammer fantasy line combined. I strongly doubt that Fantasy was still the second biggest game any more. It's not the 80s anymore, there's actually some amount of competition in the wargames market.

Granted, nuking the whole setting instead of using the End Times to shake things up and reinvigorate the game was probably the worst possible choice.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Archonex posted:

E.Y.E. is like Warhammer parsed through a bunch of translators high on LSD though. So i'm not quite sure they're the worst pick.

Edit: Also, you better not be talking poo poo about that Deathwing game. Because that project looks awesome.

Trailers don't count until they have some gameplay to them.

VVVV Fair enough. It really is going to be a clusterfuck. I especially liked the crazy sword engravings, very 40k

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 29, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Trailers don't count until they have some gameplay to them.

That doesn't matter. What matters is there's some sort of hilarious and completely unfitting hip hop music in the trailer. This is encouraging and means it will be incomprehensible in the same way as E.Y.E., which is really the best way for that dev to advertise their games to me at this point.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Archonex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

That's not a game that's a trailer. Much like star citizen makes trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Al Borland posted:

That's not a game that's a trailer. Much like star citizen makes trailers.

They've already released screenshots of actual game play. Suffice to say that it's much farther along in development than Star Citizen ever was at this stage.

I mean poo poo, the game doesn't even have a tentative release date beyond "some time next year" set yet. It's pretty drat early in development and looks amazing so far.

It's alright to be excited for something someone is doing with a Warhammer license guys. It won't hurt you. Not until it releases, at least. :unsmigghh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 29, 2015

• Locked thread