Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

I have literally never ran out of plants and I haven't picked any up since the first few hours of gameplay. I have thousands upon thousands of each one from the dispatch missions. The only limited resource is fuel and even then I am only two platforms short of a full base.

A lot of mid- to high-tier weapon researches need a few thousand common metal apiece, so if you're an idiot like me and just click a bunch of stuff to use up your massive GMP surplus you can accidentally burn through your stockpile in no time flat and hugely impede your platform expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Know what drags down the entirety of anything on the mobile platform? iOS. I just had to update my phone to iOS9 because apple doesn't let you pick what to update to, only letting you jump to the latest update. Now the menus in one of the few games I play on the drat thing don't work anymore, when the version one or two before this would have worked fine for every app I had installed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Know what drags down the entirety of anything on the mobile platform? iOS. I just had to update my phone to iOS9 because apple doesn't let you pick what to update to, only letting you jump to the latest update. Now the menus in one of the few games I play on the drat thing don't work anymore, when the version one or two before this would have worked fine for every app I had installed.

Phone OS updates exist solely to make you hate your phone so you get a new one, any perceived benefits are an illusion.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Phone OS updates exist solely to make you hate your phone so you get a new one, any perceived benefits are an illusion.

Joke's on them because this update finally pushed me to go android when this phone finally kicks the bucket. Not that, that won't be for a long time. I was still using an iphone 3 until Puzzle and Dragons updated and started causing the phone to start lagging so bad it became unplayable.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Minecraft Console Edition is pretty cool and does split screen well...except for if you want to make a sign or anything else that allows the player to type. Then it defaults to the console OS text entry window that covers both players' screens, often causing the other player to careen off a cliff to their death if they were moving at the time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

Minecraft Console Edition is pretty cool and does split screen well...except for if you want to make a sign or anything else that allows the player to type. Then it defaults to the console OS text entry window that covers both players' screens, often causing the other player to careen off a cliff to their death if they were moving at the time.

This sounds pretty great actually.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Xoidanor posted:

This sounds pretty great actually.

Yup.
I'd make a point of always carrying a full stack of signs if that was me.
Or if I'm the one with the bottom screen (assuming it's a horizontal split - I've never seen multiple players on the same console with that game) I'd kill anyone who has a sign in their inventory.
In other words, it's a great feature, creating a lot of Emerging Gameplay and/or Story.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SinineSiil posted:

I have everything else done but there's no way I'm going to do those two events on every single road. Way too tedious.

I don't mind the speed trials, but I can't wrap my head around how to properly do the crash missions. Making the car bounce in any direction is kinda unintuitive, so it feels like a coinflip if I'm gonna hit enough cars to do anything.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

To get it you pretty much have to 100% the game though. Oh and here's another one, about Nier. The game is divided into two parts like Ocarina of Time's young and adult link bits, except you can't go between them at will. There are separate achievements for beating the first part's bosses under certain times but the only way to replay the first bit is to start a new game.

No. You don't. Ask me how I know, and how I'm still missing ending C.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No. You don't. Ask me how I know, and how I'm still missing ending C.

I'm guessing flower.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Dragonball Xenoverse is loads of stupid fun but it has some lovely missions. I'm stuck at the Ginyu Force in the story missions because there's a godawful part where you have to keep Krillin and Gohan alive as you punch out waves of mooks. This would be a painful, annoying mission at the best of times, but when it happens your character is transformed into Captain Ginyu - so no amount of grinding or using unique skills can help you at all.

The rest of the game has been kind of easy so far but I have tried this dumb mission easily ten times and failed within seconds of the last guy dying. It's just atrocious design.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

Dragonball Xenoverse is loads of stupid fun but it has some lovely missions. I'm stuck at the Ginyu Force in the story missions because there's a godawful part where you have to keep Krillin and Gohan alive as you punch out waves of mooks. This would be a painful, annoying mission at the best of times, but when it happens your character is transformed into Captain Ginyu - so no amount of grinding or using unique skills can help you at all.

The rest of the game has been kind of easy so far but I have tried this dumb mission easily ten times and failed within seconds of the last guy dying. It's just atrocious design.

It's really annoying but Ginyu is great. Milky Cannon forever. Just make sure you don't let anyone punch the two midgets for too long. I think that might be the worst mandatory objective in the game, that I can remember. But some of the side goals to unlock skills are awful because of the double, or even triple layering of RNG.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nuebot posted:

It's really annoying but Ginyu is great. Milky Cannon forever. Just make sure you don't let anyone punch the two midgets for too long. I think that might be the worst mandatory objective in the game, that I can remember. But some of the side goals to unlock skills are awful because of the double, or even triple layering of RNG.

E:^^^^^^^ Yo Nuebot you own, spamming Milky Cannon cleared the mission no problem, grazie.

I just have no idea how to keep aggro on me the whole time and the midget wunderkinder just loving loooove flying off to the opposite side of the ship to get punched in the face by three or four angry goons at once.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Oct 31, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

I just have no idea how to keep aggro on me the whole time and the midget wunderkinder just loving loooove flying off to the opposite side of the ship to get punched in the face by three or four angry goons at once.

You don't, you just beat the life out of anyone who tries to actually punch the bald bastard. I think the milky cannon can hit multiple dudes at once so if they're grouped together it'll help. Focusing too much one one or two guys will let the rest of them kill the NPCs.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

I'm guessing flower.

Nope. I beat the game for ending A. Did one run through NG+, got ending B. I didn't have all of the weapons, or side quests, or anything completed, and said at the end of run three "yes, I will give up my existence" and then watched the game delete everything. I have no excuse beyond not having played a Cavia game before so I didn't think they actually meant it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Is it really that much worse than a really long rhythm game final boss you have to beat in one go though? Because they did that one twice.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Nope. I beat the game for ending A. Did one run through NG+, got ending B. I didn't have all of the weapons, or side quests, or anything completed, and said at the end of run three "yes, I will give up my existence" and then watched the game delete everything. I have no excuse beyond not having played a Cavia game before so I didn't think they actually meant it.

Maybe I'm forgetting, but doesn't the last confirmation prompt for that ending just break the forth wall and say "This is actually going to erase your save"?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You must have had all the weapons, because that's the requirement for C and D endings. The only deciding factor is the prompt at the end.

You were so close.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SkeletonHero posted:

You must have had all the weapons, because that's the requirement for C and D endings. The only deciding factor is the prompt at the end.

You were so close.

Maybe I did, was a while ago. But also, gently caress.

Veotax posted:

Maybe I'm forgetting, but doesn't the last confirmation prompt for that ending just break the forth wall and say "This is actually going to erase your save"?

Did you see the part where I said I didn't believe it? Dumb of me, I know, but I'd never run in to anything like it before. I thought it was a test.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Is it really that much worse than a really long rhythm game final boss you have to beat in one go though? Because they did that one twice.

If you don't watch this video you need to be aware of the sheer dickish-ness here. Not only is about 7+ minutes long where any screw up is a "redo the whole drat thing" the screen begins to fade to black at the end. It then starts characters talking. During this point when most players would think "hey, I bet this is hellacious nightmare of a final boss is over and its a cutscene now" it launches a final attack you can not see that you must guess when it will connect with your now invisible dragon and press it with no musical cue or timing other than lines of dialog. Screw up, you redo this whole thing again.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Not being able to get a decent, stable FPS rate is what is currently dragging Vermintide down for me.

On the other hand once I got SweetFX working (and no the difference in FPS with it on is like 2 fps, so it's not that) it looks pretty:

vs

SweetFx/Reshade

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The vast majority of Just Dance 2016's content is locked behind their new subscription service. This wouldn't be too much of a problem, especially since you get a free month, except for the fact that they have the least stable servers in the drat world and you can't possibly get through a single 3 minute song without it dropping. And I guess downloading songs you want to local storage like Spotify would open them up to piracy or something. :jerkbag: So much for getting more than about a weekend out of this game.

...what? Just Dance is totally cool. :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just got Chroma Squad yesterday and hoo boy is this the annoying crafting stuff that I hate.

So, the idea of the game as far as I've gotten to is that you're underappreciated stuntmen/women who decided to quit your jobs and make your own studio because you're basically doing all the work on your own anyway. So you're just fighting other people in costumes and there's no actual real threat supposedly. But you still have to win all the fights.

I'm getting off track.

You can craft better weapons, armor, and mecha parts for combat but you can't just buy the stuff directly. It's all in crates of five and you get a mostly random chance of getting stuff you want. And none of it is stuff that should be impossible to just go buy on it's own. It's stuff like Duct tape and cardboard boxes and leather.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I just got Chroma Squad yesterday and hoo boy is this the annoying crafting stuff that I hate.

So, the idea of the game as far as I've gotten to is that you're underappreciated stuntmen/women who decided to quit your jobs and make your own studio because you're basically doing all the work on your own anyway. So you're just fighting other people in costumes and there's no actual real threat supposedly. But you still have to win all the fights.

I'm getting off track.

You can craft better weapons, armor, and mecha parts for combat but you can't just buy the stuff directly. It's all in crates of five and you get a mostly random chance of getting stuff you want. And none of it is stuff that should be impossible to just go buy on it's own. It's stuff like Duct tape and cardboard boxes and leather.

The game does too much fourth-wall breaking and winking at the player "hey-hey this sure is a video game isn't it, isn't it great that we're in on this joke too and acknowledging how bad this is instead of actually fixing the problem?" for my tastes. They also take the piss out of their kickstarter backers who got really mad that the game took like two years past the estimated release date to come out which just seems like a bit of a cheap shot. Also the giant robot fights quickly get really, really repetitive and awful once you realize that each one is pretty much the same as the last one only with a lot more health and the upgrades only give you marginal increases in stats.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
So, I just finished Paper Mario TTYD.
The characters, story and atmosphere are great, but holy poo poo, it has an INSANE amounts of padding. I don't even know if it's a thing dragging the game down, because it's, like, 60% of the game. Pretty much every chapter consists of "run to the right, there's a roadblock, run all the way left, get the key, go to the right again, speak to someone, go left yet again..." and so on. It actually gets worse as the game progresses! Chapters 6 and 7 have long-rear end fetch quests, and while the first of them has new content, the second one just sends you to all of the previous chapters.
I really wanted to like this game :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Vookatos posted:

So, I just finished Paper Mario TTYD.
The characters, story and atmosphere are great, but holy poo poo, it has an INSANE amounts of padding. I don't even know if it's a thing dragging the game down, because it's, like, 60% of the game. Pretty much every chapter consists of "run to the right, there's a roadblock, run all the way left, get the key, go to the right again, speak to someone, go left yet again..." and so on. It actually gets worse as the game progresses! Chapters 6 and 7 have long-rear end fetch quests, and while the first of them has new content, the second one just sends you to all of the previous chapters.
I really wanted to like this game :(

This just reminded me of Sticker Star and now I'm sad. What a godawful mess of a game. I have no idea who thought that making random battle rewards nearly entirely useless but keeping in random battles was a good idea but gently caress them. Battles didn't give experience, only coins - but the wallet is so small you'll likely have your coins maxed out. So every time you waddle headlong into a goomba you're stuck in a battle that takes nearly as long as it did the very first time you fought a goomba (since there's no leveling up and what, you're going to waste a nice sticker on a loving goomba?) and there's no reason for it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In Monster Hunter 4U, there is a limited inventory system where you can only hold a certain quantity of a given item. During missions there is a "field base" that contains a chest of supplies to use during the mission. These items will appear in certain quantities, but these quantities cannot be broken up. So say I have nine potions in my inventory out of the ten I'm allowed to carry, and the supply chest contains a stack of two potions. If I want any potions out of the supply chest, I need to have eight or fewer in my inventory in order to take the stack of two. I can't have nine potions and take one, I have to have eight potions and take two.

This baffles me for a couple of reasons. One, the main draw of the game (and all of the endgame content) is found in the online co-op play. These supplies can be a lifesaver in the harder missions, but the way it's set up now you can't really share supplies among players unless there are multiple stacks of the same item (which admittedly they do in beginner missions). But more importantly, when you're going through your item storage in between missions you CAN set how much of an item you can take out. So while they ability to take part of a stack of items is in the game engine, you can only do it in certain instances :psyduck: My only logical explanation is that this supply system makes it more difficult to grief people by hogging all of the items, but even so just make single stacks of items so people can pick them up one at a time if needed. You have the code to do it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The game does too much fourth-wall breaking and winking at the player "hey-hey this sure is a video game isn't it, isn't it great that we're in on this joke too and acknowledging how bad this is instead of actually fixing the problem?" for my tastes. They also take the piss out of their kickstarter backers who got really mad that the game took like two years past the estimated release date to come out which just seems like a bit of a cheap shot. Also the giant robot fights quickly get really, really repetitive and awful once you realize that each one is pretty much the same as the last one only with a lot more health and the upgrades only give you marginal increases in stats.

The fourth-wall breaks while recording don't really bother me because they're all kind of idiots. I'll agree with you about the giant robot fights since the enemies get way too much health and power. I might end up dropping back down to casual because of how much damage those loving things do. And it's annoying how fast your accuracy drops in them for every attack.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

All the characters are prewritten too, so it doesn't matter who you choose to build your team up as, it's all superficial. Then you get to the second or third mission where they want it to be that someone's sister gets captured and you have to save her, but that's sexist, so they switch her out for a guy and all pat themselves on the back for how progressive they are now. It's just weird and out of place for the game since it comes out of nowhere, then disappears as quickly as they mentioned it. And that's honestly how the entire game feels. The crafting is just a quick mention, then you forget about it until you need to upgrade your equipment and realize no thought has been put into it. Same with the giant robot fights, most of the storyline and half the actual mechanics. Quick, have everyone crowd around an enemy monster and queue up your finisher attack except it runs out of range immediately and ruins your score!

For what they promised they delivered little to nothing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Then you get to the second or third mission where they want it to be that someone's sister gets captured and you have to save her, but that's sexist, so they switch her out for a guy

This is what is commonly referred to as a "joke".

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

vs

SweetFx/Reshade

This looks horrible, you blew out all the colors and much of the detail and nuance of the original image is lost. It's like one of those demo TVs at electronics stores where they gently caress with the contrast and color settings to make them "pop" in a crowded, brightly-lit store surrounded by other screens, but then you take it home and it looks like a badger's taint until you fiddle with the OSD menus and restore the settings back to neutral.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

This looks horrible, you blew out all the colors and much of the detail and nuance of the original image is lost. It's like one of those demo TVs at electronics stores where they gently caress with the contrast and color settings to make them "pop" in a crowded, brightly-lit store surrounded by other screens, but then you take it home and it looks like a badger's taint until you fiddle with the OSD menus and restore the settings back to neutral.

SweetFX and poo poo like ENB almost always wind up looking like that, to me at least. I'll genuinely never get why people keep using them then claiming "Look how much better my game looks!" and it's like looking at a WoW screenshot where they cranked the particle effects to max, just bright glowing poo poo everywhere obscuring the detail.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Woolie Wool posted:

Nuebot posted:

SweetFX and poo poo like ENB almost always wind up looking like that, to me at least. I'll genuinely never get why people keep using them then claiming "Look how much better my game looks!" and it's like looking at a WoW screenshot where they cranked the particle effects to max, just bright glowing poo poo everywhere obscuring the detail.

Well see the great part is I can toggle it on and off on a whim.

I just press a button and suddenly: DEFAULT SETTINGS.

Also those screen shots aren't really great. It looks much better in actual game play.

Edit: I would like to amend the things dragging the game down. Joining a game, lagging out; rejoining a new game and then lagging out again with the engine crashing is dragging it down. I keep connecting to Americans.

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Oct 30, 2015

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Yeah, the vast majority that I've tried either look good in-game, but awful in screenshots, or make great screenshots but are poo poo to actually play with.

The only one I've ever been happy with was one I installed for GTA5.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nuebot posted:

ENB can be really nice when done right, but it's really, really hard to do right. Since Skyrim modding is so huge, the million monkeys on a million typewriters effect means you'll inevitably get someone who knows what they're doing and makes something beautiful like Seasons of Skyrim.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
STAFF MORALE DECREASED

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Edit: I would like to amend the things dragging the game down. Joining a game, lagging out; rejoining a new game and then lagging out again with the engine crashing is dragging it down. I keep connecting to Americans.

I still find it hilarious that the game with the best and most stable online I've played was Gundam Breaker 2. It'll never hit american shores, it was fun but definitely not the best game ever and not once while playing it, and connecting solely with players over in Japan over PSN of all things did I disconnect, desynch or even get hit by lag. It was great. But of course the fact that Bandai has pretty much given up on Gundam over seas kind of drags that down because playing the whole game in Japanese was rough when I had to translate all the stats and drops myself.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

This is what is commonly referred to as a "joke".

It's a really terrible joke. The sister who offers to be the one getting captured actually wants to and has always wanted to star in an episode where the power ranger knock offs come save her. They outright say "No, she's a girl and that would be bad for our ratings so gently caress it get that random cousin who doesn't give a poo poo to come stand around for it." All she wanted was to star in the show for one episode and they didn't even let her :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It's a really terrible joke. The sister who offers to be the one getting captured actually wants to and has always wanted to star in an episode where the power ranger knock offs come save her. They outright say "No, she's a girl and that would be bad for our ratings so gently caress it get that random cousin who doesn't give a poo poo to come stand around for it." All she wanted was to star in the show for one episode and they didn't even let her :(

I can't remember that part of the game but I do have to say the lack of a defense stat is really lovely. So I guess just keep trying to pump your health and dodge as high as possible instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I can't remember that part of the game but I do have to say the lack of a defense stat is really lovely. So I guess just keep trying to pump your health and dodge as high as possible instead.

The lack of any of the stats actually meaning anything was lovely. Most of the leveling was just "Which new skill do you want?!" that you'd never use because half of them were garbage. God help you if you picked the obviously worse one of the two. Even the earlier Fire Emblems, for all it's lovely weird percentile garbage, had deeper gameplay than that.