Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Between cheap liquor/beer, lax drunk driving laws, and ubiquitous fried cheese curds I can only assume Wisconsin as a state wants you to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

edit: ^^^^^ but you'll die HAPPY

Infidel Castro posted:

As someone who works in retail management, I can certainly sympathise.

I can too, it's the public paragraphs long rants telling people they're lying that are the problem

(I work in marketing so this bothers me)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I wish i could find cheese curds around here. Have to make poutine with olive oil soaked mozzarella balls instead

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Quarex posted:

No

Dude

No

Have you really honestly driven through Mississippi and Alabama? Because if you had been there, you would know nothing compares.

I went to a Ponderosa on a lark not too many years ago when I saw one in like Montana or something...what I want to know is, are there still BONANZAs?

WOW

There are! And considering there are no Ponderosas in Montana, I must have gone to a Bonanza. Who can keep them straight edit: oh no Bonanzas either; North Dakota maybe

Ask and you shall receive! Mandan, ND

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I imagine Purgatory is something like trying to drive through Texas

as far as "boring long drives" go

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

I imagine Purgatory is something like trying to drive through Texas

as far as "boring long drives" go

Naa Iowa

Flat, flat, flat with no markers, only corn

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

tardwrangler posted:

My favorite rear end-end of night shift activity is to go crossroading on streetview. Tiny, dying towns are fascinating in that "why the gently caress would anyone live there?" way.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

Also good with ranch

Where the party is at:

freezingprocess fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 28, 2015

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Monkey Fracas posted:

Between cheap liquor/beer, lax drunk driving laws, and ubiquitous fried cheese curds I can only assume Wisconsin as a state wants you to die

We elected Scott Walker, we clearly loathe ourselves on a level few can understand.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Infidel Castro posted:

We elected Scott Walker, we clearly loathe ourselves on a level few can understand.

And could not recall him in an election because of rural idiots :argh:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theultimo posted:

Naa Iowa

Flat, flat, flat with no markers, only corn

yeah but the longest you will be in Iowa is for like 300 miles

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Every picture of a landscape or a "city" depressed the hell out of me. Makes me want to goto sleep.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
forever.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Monkey Fracas posted:

You forgot to add copious amounts of cured and/or processed meat to the list.

It's really a miracle that life expectancy in northern Illinois/Wisconsin/Minnesota is as high as it is.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

It's really a miracle that life expectancy in northern Illinois/Wisconsin/Minnesota is as high as it is.

What do you mean?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

Maybe all of the booze combined with the preservatives in the meats has a pickling effect or something

combined with the cold that just might do it

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Ultimo Hombre posted:

I took a look and they're spread out in some odd places. I just hate when they seat you in that goddamned trolley.

If you're in the area, go to the florentine - closer to mount carmel on broad. Better food, cheaper prices, no trolley.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.
obligatory

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My office today. loving below freezing, light snow and 30 mph winds

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Midwest does good Oktoberfest IMO:

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

God Bless the Midwest

God Bless the US

:patriot::911::patriot:

Ultimo Hombre
Jul 26, 2015

Halah posted:

If you're in the area, go to the florentine - closer to mount carmel on broad. Better food, cheaper prices, no trolley.

I had no idea they were still open, we would have to eat there every Christmas when my great grandparents came into town. I'll have to take my wife down there. If I remember correctly, it use to be some what upscale as far as Columbus resteraunts went

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

etalian posted:

Midwest does good Oktoberfest IMO:

That fellow with the glasses, at the bottom.
Creeper face : engage.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Matey posted:

God Bless the Midwest

God Bless the US

:getout:

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Ultimo Hombre posted:

I had no idea they were still open, we would have to eat there every Christmas when my great grandparents came into town. I'll have to take my wife down there. If I remember correctly, it use to be some what upscale as far as Columbus resteraunts went

Now it would be considered old school...it hasn't really changed. That's why I love it.

Also, no one has mentioned a burger from the thurman. A shame, that.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

no you :getout:

edit for content:

ternader

Matey fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 29, 2015

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

midwest.bmp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
mn is the only worthwhile part of the midwest (also the keweenaw is pretty cool)

wisconsin used to be almost as good but they took a hard right turn into "vote against your own best interests" a few decades back

seriously though mn would be the perfect place to live if they had mountains

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Nash Regex posted:

midwest.bmp

Whoa, my weed dealer in college had that hanging up in his apartment.

And it was in the midwest.

modernwinglish
Dec 28, 2012

I'll squawk the world and molt with you

Matey posted:

God Bless the Midwest

God Bless the US

My brother's mother in law thought this was a naturally occurring event. Like God sent down a bolt of lightning into the bluffs and it created this.

So I know we all like to hate on the midwest, but drat, do I have a place in my heart for supper clubs in Wisconsin. They're the best when it's cold as gently caress outside. Something about a medium rare steak, relish tray, and a big old fashioned served to you by a woman named Marge in a place with wood paneling and Christmas lights.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

modernwinglish posted:

My brother's mother in law thought this was a naturally occurring event. Like God sent down a bolt of lightning into the bluffs and it created this.

So I know we all like to hate on the midwest, but drat, do I have a place in my heart for supper clubs in Wisconsin. They're the best when it's cold as gently caress outside. Something about a medium rare steak, relish tray, and a big old fashioned served to you by a woman named Marge in a place with wood paneling and Christmas lights.

Plus fish frys! Usually at the vfw.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

modernwinglish posted:

This looks a lot like the Rhinelander Cafe & Pub, but it's too bright.

They have the best banana cream pie ever.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

OctoberBlues posted:

That truck stop brings up happy memories of traveling back home from Chicago, I knew I was about halfway home at that point. :unsmith:

where is home

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Frostwerks posted:

where is home

I ask myself that almost every day pal

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ultimo Hombre posted:

I drive by there a lot and wonder how they've stayed in business for so long, another place I haven't been in since the 80's. I'm guessing it's mostly elderly people that keep it going? How about The Spaghetti Warehouse? Are they only in Columbus or are there others in the Midwest? They use to be okay, kind of a cool setting at least and still much better than the Olive garden.

holy poo poo you werent kidding about the decor.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
dont even know how to describe it. other than"loud" maybe. but its def more intersting than faux-italian like TOG

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

cumshitter posted:

Chicago had Bozo the Clown. Krusty the Klown's voice is actually based on Bozo's. Dan Castellanetta came up through Second City Chicago, so he would have been familiar with the show. Anyway, in every episode of the Bozo Show Bozo would pick a child from the audience to play Bozo's Buckets.

Bozo's Buckets was basically five red beer cups in a line that the kid stood in front of. The first one was so close it was right at the kid's feet. Each one after that was a foot away. The kids had to get a ping pong ball in each one. If they made it to the last one they got a $100 bill.

Sometimes kids would gently caress up the first one, which was so close you could just drop the ball into it. Then they would cry and Bozo would try to usher them off the stage with no redo, because you gently caress you kid. It is really fun being at a Chicago bar and betting that the kid will gently caress it up on the first shot.

Pages back but if you're lame/nostalgic you can go see the original buckets!

http://www.museum.tv/

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
This is an image I took of the Midwest:

elcapjtk fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 29, 2015

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010