Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

E-Tank posted:

Hey guys, I've been reading/seeing a lot of conflicting information on TVs for the PS4.

I've been told to get the most out of it, I need a 120hz refresh rate and that makes no sense to me, as to my knowledge, most PS4 games are capped at 60 fps. Am I being a moron, or is 120hz required for 60 fps? I've also been reading that there is no 'true' 120hz TVs, just things that give 120hz 'like' things, using a process involving stitching together 2 frames to form a composite 'transfer' frame from one to another.

Can anyone help clear this up? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Forget refresh rate, you should be more concerned about input lag and you'll have to go to a third party site to find that poo poo out anyway because the manufacturer would rather sell you some dumb whizbang features you don't give a poo poo about

Here's a result that came up in a few seconds of googling: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-test-results/input-lag will give you some decent reviews as well as the option to sort by latency for TVs, it's a pretty good site and will give you a lot of information as well as specifics on stuff like Gaming, movies, etc.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Or do what I do when mine does this: turn off (not rest mode) ps4, unplug power cable, press power/eject buttons (console should beep), plug back in and it accepts discs again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Or do what I do when mine does this: turn off (not rest mode) ps4, unplug power cable, press power/eject buttons (console should beep), plug back in and it accepts discs again.

seems like a bad option since its not actually fixing the problem

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Awesome! posted:

seems like a bad option since its not actually fixing the problem

fixes it for me!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so its not something that continues to pop up for you? thats what i got when you said "when mine does this" rather than "when mine did this"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wendell posted:

Keeping the goon face blindness tradition alive

Bullshit - take a closer look. The hair is different but thats enough to throw your rear end off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't look like Jennifer Lawrence at all.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

not even close

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Ellie looks like Ashley Johnson, not Ellen Paige.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

The Machine posted:

Ellie looks like Ashley Johnson, not Ellen Paige.

She looked like Page when TLOU was first revealed. They altered the face afterwards.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

James Woods Fan posted:

She looked like Page when TLOU was first revealed. They altered the face afterwards.

This. She looked a lot more like Page early on. Later, you could mistake her for Page if you weren't really paying attention because Johnson and Page sound somewhat alike. The robot girl doesn't look or sound like Lawrence at all though. I guess maybe the hair?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Gta5 question:
Back in the day, I had gta5 for the 360, and with it, I got a bunch if cool add ons, like cars and stuff that were stored in a special garage.

So, I just got gta5 for the ps4 today, and I transfered my Rockstar account over, but no special guns or cars to be found. And I checked the ps4 store and nothing is available for download. Am I out of luck?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alain Post posted:

I desperately need a single machine to play the entire MGS series.

Actually that's the PS3 but I'm scared to see what MGSV looks like on PS3.

PSP games on PS4? Doubtful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Bananana posted:

Gta5 question:
Back in the day, I had gta5 for the 360, and with it, I got a bunch if cool add ons, like cars and stuff that were stored in a special garage.

So, I just got gta5 for the ps4 today, and I transfered my Rockstar account over, but no special guns or cars to be found. And I checked the ps4 store and nothing is available for download. Am I out of luck?

Yes, the character transfer stuff only worked across the same console brand.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Kara is based off her voice actress's face and body. There's a video for the making of for the original tech demo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Yes, the character transfer stuff only worked across the same console brand.

No, it also works from 360 to PS4. Probably needs to double check his Rockstar Social account. You can re-import but it'll overwrite your new versions of the characters I think.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

CrashCat posted:

Forget refresh rate, you should be more concerned about input lag and you'll have to go to a third party site to find that poo poo out anyway because the manufacturer would rather sell you some dumb whizbang features you don't give a poo poo about

Here's a result that came up in a few seconds of googling: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Thanks everybody for all the help, I found a TV that's well within my price range, is rated 'good' in lag, and is a good size! Thank you all so much!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i had the disc eject defect and did at least 6 different internet remedies. the problem will come back eventually. the most impactful remedy for me was pulling the rubber foot out of the bottom but even that only fixed the thing for like 3-4 months. get a new system from sony under warranty (they will send you a totally different unit from your model number's run that hopefully won't develop the same issue) or embrace the all digital future.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nier 2

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I still can't believe that shits getting made. Do we have confirmation it's coming to US?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there's no way sony pays for a AAA game in an established western franchise this gen and doesn't bring it. they supposedly are bringing us dragon quest 11 at some point they somehow brought yakuza 5 out of left field for ps3. the floodgates are open

plus it was an e3 keynote speech reveal

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Temp fix at best, but yea... This.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

abagofcheetos posted:

I mean, it looks like a game that was probably 320x240 being played at 1080p. Not much you can do with it... i'd still probably buy it if they translated it.
No that's just it, they did use high resolution assets for some things...but at random. For example, text inside of menus is scaled up but text in the rest of the game isn't.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

goferchan posted:

I still can't believe that shits getting made. Do we have confirmation it's coming to US?

They revealed it at E3.

Edit: way beaten

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

there's no way sony pays for a AAA game in an established western franchise this gen and doesn't bring it. they supposedly are bringing us dragon quest 11 at some point they somehow brought yakuza 5 out of left field for ps3. the floodgates are open

plus it was an e3 keynote speech reveal

I don't think Sony has anything to do with Automata, but yeah, it was revealed at E3, so it's sure to come over.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motto posted:

I don't think Sony has anything to do with Automata, but yeah, it was revealed at E3, so it's sure to come over.

Nier was on xbox 360 I probably wrongly assumed they paid SE something for exclusivity

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I got that extended warranty from Sony. 3 years. Mine has the recurring eject bug.

Problem is, I hate not having a ps4 handy when I DO have time to play. Do they cross-ship? Anyone know?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

I got that extended warranty from Sony. 3 years. Mine has the recurring eject bug.

Problem is, I hate not having a ps4 handy when I DO have time to play. Do they cross-ship? Anyone know?

no. get a long game from steam and grit your teeth for 10 days.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hail platinum

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Apparently there's going to be a (closed-doors?) presentation for this game at PGW tomorrow and afterwards they're going to release a trailer.

I'm so dang excited! :tem:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pomp posted:

Hail platinum

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like the coveted "I want a sequel to Nier but made by Platinum Games" demographic includes me and four other people, all of whom post on this forum, but I can't really complain.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do you think Platinum would even bother making the game if it was going to sell? Of course not.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

I know Raiden is kind of girly looking, but a skirt?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I never played Nier but that game looks cool.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I never played Nier but that game looks cool.

Rectify that please.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been meaning to for a while but I am to lazy to turn my ps3 on and update it, plus it's friggin expensive.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

korrandark posted:

Rectify that please.

Nier is most definitely not for everyone (I played all the way through the "D" ending so it WAS for me) so definitely look into it a bit before blindly going to play it. You definitely need some level of patience with video games to play Nier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I feel what you're saying but sold. Never played Nier but this looks loving sick.

• Locked thread