Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Unexpected posted:

Question about the "Realistic Needs & Diseases" mod. Is it normal that not even 10 "dishes" are going to change my hunger level from "very hungry" to something better? I bought all food there was to buy at the inn in Riverwood and I'm still "very hungry"...
...Did you eat it?

E; also seconding switching to iNeed instead. If nothing else it makes needing to manage thirst matter more since you can't just get water from any old place like say Riften's filthy canal.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Actually you can, you just need to bind a key to Drink. If you're not near a water source, it'll drink from a waterskin, but if you are it'll drink from the water source.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Actually you can, you just need to bind a key to Drink. If you're not near a water source, it'll drink from a waterskin, but if you are it'll drink from the water source.
Huh... that might have been useful to know in the long underwater section of The Forgotten City..

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 28, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sounds like somebody should read instructions. :smug:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of underwater sections does anybody know of a mod that allows combat underwater like in Oblivion?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
What are these "instructions" you speak of? Like any proper person, one must always dive in and discover things along the way :colbert:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Chaltab posted:

Speaking of underwater sections does anybody know of a mod that allows combat underwater like in Oblivion?

Pretty sure they actually removed that from the source code, just like Levitation and stuff relating to item individuation. :(

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

You can get diseases from some water sources as well, I think.

"Drink Hotkey: Press this key to automatically drink an item from your inventory. Hold this key to refill waterskins from bodies of water or bases of waterfalls. If there is nothing to refill, you will drink from the water source. Holding this key near small snow drifts will allow you to collect 'Snow'."

The cannibal setting is fun too... remove the armor from the fallen to harvest human flesh and hearts. All the food you need.

Kind of funny... I remember getting pissed at the game once because I suddenly couldn't use my shouts. Reloaded a couple of times and realized I had contracted some "mute" disease from a bite, or something. :bang:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah if you aren't getting water from a clean source it'll let you fill a waterskin with questionable water and you can boil it to make it safe.

I like some of the newer stuff iNeed has now as well, like being able to sit and rest for a couple hours taking away some of your fatigue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any mods that change the AI behaviour of enemies? Most enemies just zerg rush you, but I'd like to see something like Chaurus and Falmer being sneaky while bandits are less organized compared to drilled Imperial or Stormcloaks, who would use formations like keeping shield troops at the front while flanking with two handers.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Again, that shits hardcoded. My biggest wish for the next Elder Scrolls isn't a certain setting, but the inclusion of AI at least equal to that of the original Halo.

Whether or not Skyrim is "an RPG" is not a can of worms I care to open, but one thing it has in common with (other) RPGs is the fact that if enemies were even halfway smart about using their abilities and numbers, they would be able to absolutely murder the player.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I always thought it was kind of interesting that first person rpg combat tended to skew towards one strong protagonist fighting multiple weaker antagonists, where top down or isometric rpg combat skewed towards a party of weaker protagonists fighting one more powerful antagonist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Christ, I tried Realistic Lighting Overhaul. Does nobody understand how light works and how the human eye adapts to darkness? It's loving pitch black even with the brighter nights and dungeons.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any mods that change the AI behaviour of enemies? Most enemies just zerg rush you, but I'd like to see something like Chaurus and Falmer being sneaky while bandits are less organized compared to drilled Imperial or Stormcloaks, who would use formations like keeping shield troops at the front while flanking with two handers.

You might want to try Enemy AI Overhaul.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Arcsquad12 posted:

Christ, I tried Realistic Lighting Overhaul. Does nobody understand how light works and how the human eye adapts to darkness? It's loving pitch black even with the brighter nights and dungeons.

RLO is terrible, use either Relighting Skyrim or Enhanced Lighting and FX.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
A buddy of mine apparently got a keylogger through SKSE, any other reports of that?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
No, nobody has ever gotten anything like that before, at least not if they use the official SKSE site.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

A buddy of mine apparently got a keylogger through SKSE, any other reports of that?
Some antivirus scanners have flagged the Script Extenders as false positives before. Avast for one. Is your buddy sure he actually got malware, and it's not his antivirus that's running around like a headless chicken?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

The script extenders work the way some malware does. They hook into a process and inject code. For this reason some anti-malware programs WILL flag them as malware.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

A truly immersive Skyrim mod.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
He downloaded it via Steam (which I guess goes directly to the author?) and someone started brute forcing his PayPal account within an hour. That could be a coincidence but it seems unlikely.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"Can't levitate? Well then, I'll swim over your stupid cities!"

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

He downloaded it via Steam (which I guess goes directly to the author?) and someone started brute forcing his PayPal account within an hour. That could be a coincidence but it seems unlikely.
No. That's an actual coincidence.
Let's be absolutely clear about this: SKSE is not malware. If your buddy downloaded it from a trusted source - Steam or the SKSE website, he's good. If an account of his was targeted shortly after downloading SKSE via Steam, then that has nothing to do with SKSE.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 29, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Also, why would someone who has a keylogger on his computer need to brute force his password? Why would the attacker wait only an hour as opposed to "the amount of time needed to catch him typing his password to something"?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I bet he did a lot of other things in that hour that weren't SKSE, and I bet none of them mattered either. This is the definition of coincidence.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 29, 2015

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
There was a mod not too long ago that got popular, the mod made it so you could commission crafting services from enchanters and blacksmiths and i thought it looked pretty solid. I didn't bookmark it cause i was pretty sure i wouldn't play Skyrim again

NEVER THINK THIS

ITS WRONG

Does anyone remember the name of the mod?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dongattack posted:

There was a mod not too long ago that got popular, the mod made it so you could commission crafting services from enchanters and blacksmiths and i thought it looked pretty solid. I didn't bookmark it cause i was pretty sure i wouldn't play Skyrim again

NEVER THINK THIS

ITS WRONG

Honed metal. Annoyingly the guy in Dragon Born who teaches you to craft Stalhrim doesn't have a high enough skill to craft Stalhrim, but you can use the mod menu to change his skill.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Dongattack posted:

NEVER THINK THIS

ITS WRONG

It sounds like you're thinking of Honed Metal.

On another note, it pairs fine with Order My Items.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Neat, thanks!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Say have you guys run into a bug with Skyrim Unbound where the intro music from when the game starts never stops playing? I remember i solved it somehow on my old character, but it's driving me insane on this new one and i have no idea how i did it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Why do the bad mods always get the most endorsements? :sigh:

I used RLO for a while and it was so dark that when I switched back to the Climates of Tamriel interiors it was a tremendous improvement.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Say have you guys run into a bug with Skyrim Unbound where the intro music from when the game starts never stops playing? I remember i solved it somehow on my old character, but it's driving me insane on this new one and i have no idea how i did it.

REMOVEMUSIC _____________ in console (where the blank is filled with the music you're looking to drop from the playlist) will do it. Unfortunately, two points. I have no idea what song name you would even want to list. I also have no idea if this will basically drop the track entirely and you just boot up into a silent title menu. In theory it should only apply after loading a save you have run the command under (and then proceeded to save). It may even require a few tries before it seem to 'stick' on a save; I had some trouble with The Forgotten City looping it's tracks after the quest line had been completed, but eventually the tracks were removed from the game's playlist.

Anyway, just posting since it might be a start. Maybe it rings some bells and helps your googlefu?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Woolie Wool posted:

Why do the bad mods always get the most endorsements? :sigh:

I used RLO for a while and it was so dark that when I switched back to the Climates of Tamriel interiors it was a tremendous improvement.

Because RLO was the first mod to seriously attempt to fix Skyrim's lighting and was the best for a good while. Relighting Skyrim and ELFX are much newer and better and can be used in conjunction with Climates of Tamriel just fine. Speaking of CoT, there's a big new revamp of it coming out this weekend, according to its nexus page.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Kiggles posted:

REMOVEMUSIC _____________ in console (where the blank is filled with the music you're looking to drop from the playlist) will do it. Unfortunately, two points. I have no idea what song name you would even want to list. I also have no idea if this will basically drop the track entirely and you just boot up into a silent title menu. In theory it should only apply after loading a save you have run the command under (and then proceeded to save). It may even require a few tries before it seem to 'stick' on a save; I had some trouble with The Forgotten City looping it's tracks after the quest line had been completed, but eventually the tracks were removed from the game's playlist.

Anyway, just posting since it might be a start. Maybe it rings some bells and helps your googlefu?

Hmm, thanks! I'm pretty confident i didn't do that last time since i can't remember that command. I'll play without music for a while (it was actually pretty pleasing) and then come back to it/your post.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dootman posted:

Because RLO was the first mod to seriously attempt to fix Skyrim's lighting and was the best for a good while. Relighting Skyrim and ELFX are much newer and better and can be used in conjunction with Climates of Tamriel just fine. Speaking of CoT, there's a big new revamp of it coming out this weekend, according to its nexus page.

Between Relighting Skyrim and ELFX, is one considered more compatible than others? Is one considered more true-to-life? Or do lighting overhauls just become religious debates?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Ynglaur posted:

Between Relighting Skyrim and ELFX, is one considered more compatible than others? Is one considered more true-to-life? Or do lighting overhauls just become religious debates?

If you are using an ENB, I would recommend Relighting Skyrim. If you aren't running an ENB, then use ELFX. This is really a matter of personal preference, but it would take more effort to make a given ENB preset to play nice with ELFX. Both should be generally completely compatible with CoT.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dootman posted:

If you are using an ENB, I would recommend Relighting Skyrim. If you aren't running an ENB, then use ELFX. This is really a matter of personal preference, but it would take more effort to make a given ENB preset to play nice with ELFX. Both should be generally completely compatible with CoT.

There are several ENB presets specifically designed to work with ELFX, so it's really "check the readme first" and choose from there. I think there are too many re-re-re-relighting skyrim mods and it's pretty annoying since so many ENB presets are "designed for ____" so swapping a preset ends up being swapping 402 mods at the same time.

My favorite Fallout New Vegas ENB is, not coincidentally, one designed for stock weather. I'll accept that tradeoff anytime.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Mechanically, ELFX is a way more complex mod, and it messes with stuff like meshes, and it requires compatibility patches for a lot of other mods. It messes with how lights work.

Relighting Skyrim is super lightweight and low-impact... it just moves light sources around so they line up better with stuff like candles and fire pits, removes lights with no obvious natural source in-game so rooms don't just glow for no reason, adds lights where an obvious light source didn't have one, occasionally switches up shadow-casting and non shadow-casting lights, that sort of thing. It can mix a little strangely with other mods that change interior spaces, like if another mod moves a candle, the light associated with it might be in the wrong place. Or if another mod adds more light sources, you can get the too-many-lights flickering bug. But generally speaking it is safe to use with pretty much everything. I think it more or less leaves ambient light levels alone, so it won't make interior spaces a lot brighter or darker, but it will work fine with mods that DO mess with ambient light settings. I recommend it over ELFX just because I hate having to deal with a bunch of patches.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So what mods do get rid of all ambient light? That's what I really like about ELFX, the light sources really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

No ambient light at all might not be as cool as you think... you might as well just turn off your monitor at that point, because you really can't see poo poo. It becomes unrealistic in the other direction. A couple of candles in a room wouldn't light the place up like daytime, sure, but there would be more than zero light a few paces away. That mod might exist, but you'd probably be better off with one of the many that just makes dungeons quite a bit darker.

• Locked thread