Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Before I send this link to my dad on Medicare that had a triple bypass, is politico a left wing thing? I didn't see them as that, but maybe Tezor can set right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Doctor Butts posted:

So Dr. Ben Carson wants to eliminate Medicare and replace with with a health savings account.

Boy this sure does not sound like a lot of coverage for people who were expecting this sort of care... but wait a minute...

Kind of a funny point, because...

So one of the reasons medicare works is because it can dictate costs (somewhat) to healthcare providers. Health Savings Account? Not the same kind of pull. You probably have to buy insurance after the fact. Your $2000 has a big chunk of money taken out already and on top of that, the 'savings' the government gets because they don't need to administer as much is eaten by another entity- and you get no benefit from that relationship.

Carson has some other things to say about his plan

To be clear, Carson's plan is to get a benefit of $2,000 per year.

It's pretty hypocritical on his part because he thinks on one hand, that $2,000 in an HSA is enough. On the other hand, he is also making it clear that he's aware that its going to put a 'fiduciary responsibility' (aka cut corners because you can't afford poo poo) on the citizen. Even more obvious he knows that money is poo poo when he's saying your and your family will have to give up your personal disbursement so that pops can get a tumor removed.

Someone needs to ask how far $2,000 would go towards a surgery with Dr. Ben Carson.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
He'd cut you open, then you get to do the rest.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Like you'd ever be in the same room as him for $2,000 or less.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
I bet if eight of us pooled our $2000 together we could get him to talk about his God given talent for surgery for fifteen minutes.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Whiskey Sours posted:

I bet if eight of us pooled our $2000 together we could get him to talk about his God given talent for surgery for fifteen minutes.

That's a bargain, for 2700 bucks you'd only get a selfie with Hillary assuming she lets you past the rope line

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

I missed the ironi

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I missed the ironi

Sorry, I didn't know if you knew Kelly was indeed a satirical comic artist for the Onion or not.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
The Daily Beast asks an interesting question: Did Ben Carson already break campaign finance laws?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Darth123123 posted:

Before I send this link to my dad on Medicare that had a triple bypass, is politico a left wing thing? I didn't see them as that, but maybe Tezor can set right

Not especially, but your father will call it liberal bullshit if he doesnt agree with it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ive seen two carson bumper stickers so he's winning the election

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Calm Manner Has Ben Carson Rising in Polls

quote:

“That smile and his soft voice makes people very comforted,” said Miriam Greenfield, a farmer in Jewell, Iowa.

quote:

“He is kind when he speaks, and he doesn’t have an agenda to set himself up as wonderful,” said Donna Christiansen, a retiree in Ames.

quote:

“I believe someone as mild-mannered and gentlemanly as Ben Carson is just about the only kind of person that could [change things in Washington],” said Mr. Walke, who heard Mr. Carson speak to a modest crowd on the lawn of a fraternity house at Iowa State University on Saturday.

quote:

“Trump is rough; Carson is reassuring,” said Peter D. Hart, the pollster who led the focus group. “And the unknown elements of Carson are calming, and the known elements of Trump are disturbing.”

quote:

“People are very attracted to Ben Carson’s bedside demeanor,” said Bob Vander Plaats, a leader of the Christian right in Iowa.

:lol:

Slow News Day has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Oct 26, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Last one is fitting, considering a President Carson would preside over the death of America

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
on being called low-energy by Trump:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

he seems like a well adjusted fellow

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
A great bedside manner for the Death of America

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ben Carson wants to change the goal of the Department of Education from its current job to just being a place that investigates radical liberal thought on college campuses.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/carson-sketches-out-plan-monitoring-campus-speech?cid=sm_fb_maddow

gently caress it here's the whole article, I added the URLs posted:

Choosing the single nuttiest part of Ben Carson’s Republican presidential platform is incredibly challenging – there are just so many options to choose from. Just over the weekend, the competitive GOP candidate talked about scrapping Medicare, compared abortion to slavery, and tried to defend his frequent Nazi references.

But if we’re ranking the most ridiculous recommendations, Carson’s plans to “monitor” political speech on college campuses has to be near the top.

To briefly recap, the retired right-wing neurosurgeon argued last week that he doesn’t want to shut down the federal Department of Education; he’d prefer to turn it into an investigatory body in which it would “monitor our institutions of higher education for extreme political bias.” If a Carson administration decided it disapproved of the “extreme” political speech on a university campus, the school would lose its federal funding.

Weekends with Alex Witt, 10/25/15, 12:41 PM ET
Carson: Use Department of Education to monitor professors
On NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Chuck Todd tried to pin Carson down on this bizarre plan. The GOP candidate – currently, a top tier contender – insisted, “This is not just spouting off; I’ve thought about this.” What a relief.

CARSON: The way that works is you invite students at the universities to send in their complaints, and then you investigate. For instance, there was a university – I’m sure you’ve heard of the situation – where, you know, the professor told everybody, “Take out a piece of paper and write the name ‘Jesus’ on it. Put in on the floor and stomp on it.” And one student refused to do that and was disciplined severely. You know, he subsequently was able to be reinstated–

TODD: We’re not violating the First Amendment? How is what you’re advocating not a violation of the First Amendment?

CARSON: It’s not a violation of the First Amendment, because all I’m saying is taxpayer funding should not be used for propaganda. It shouldn’t be.

Reminded that Carson’s definition of “propaganda” might look like “free speech” to others, the Republican replied, in a bit of a non-sequitur, “Well, that’s why I said we’re going to have the students send in. And we will investigate.”

In other words, Ben Carson envisions a system in which students report professors to government authorities, who will launch investigations to determine whether the scholars’ lesson plans meet with a Republican administration’s speech standards. Schools that fall short will face punishment.

No, this doesn’t sound like an authoritarian approach to higher-education at all. Why do you ask?

What’s more, as we discussed last week, let’s also not forget that Carson, perhaps more than any other presidential hopeful, is preoccupied with “political correctness” and the “speech police.” That Carson doesn’t even try to reconcile his concerns about the “speech police” with his desire for federal investigations into professors’ lectures should probably surprise no one.

But what about the specific anecdote Carson mentioned? Surely, no one is going to defend the “stomp on Jesus” professor, right?

Before answering, consider the facts that Carson isn’t aware of. Right Wing Watch reported last week, “In reality, the professor, a ‘very religious’ Sunday school teacher, was using a lesson on the importance of symbols included in a textbook written by an instructor at a Christian college and reported a student who physically threatened him after the exercise.”

Oddly enough, the Republican presidential hopeful citing this anecdote doesn’t seem to know what he’s talking about.

Doctor Butts has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Oct 26, 2015

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Doctor Butts posted:

Ben Carson wants to change the goal of the Department of Education from its current job to just being a place that investigates radical thought on college campuses.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/carson-sketches-out-plan-monitoring-campus-speech?cid=sm_fb_maddow

A Ben Carson presidency is actually managing to sound vastly worse than a Trump presidency.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Would teaching evolution be propaganda for Satan?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I really want to send these links to my dad, but that's a dick move to someone with numbered days. Lol pull his Medicare, he's dead. Actively voting against your personal interests indeed.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Always wondered exactly how the handmaid's tale got started.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Carson saved megabucks on anesthesia by talking to his patients

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

katlington posted:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

katlington posted:

It started in the Bible:

quote:

Genesis 16:1 - 4

Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian slave named Hagar;

so she said to Abram, “The Lord has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my slave; perhaps I can build a family through her.”

Abram agreed to what Sarai said.

So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife.

He slept with Hagar, and she conceived.

When she knew she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress.

quote:

Genesis 30:1 - 8

When Rachel saw that she was not bearing Jacob any children, she became jealous of her sister. So she said to Jacob, “Give me children, or I’ll die!”

Jacob became angry with her and said, “Am I in the place of God, who has kept you from having children?”

Then she said, “Here is Bilhah, my servant. Sleep with her so that she can bear children for me and I too can build a family through her.”

So she gave him her servant Bilhah as a wife. Jacob slept with her,

and she became pregnant and bore him a son.

Then Rachel said, “God has vindicated me; he has listened to my plea and given me a son.” Because of this she named him Dan.

Rachel’s servant Bilhah conceived again and bore Jacob a second son.

Then Rachel said, “I have had a great struggle with my sister, and I have won.” So she named him Naphtali.

quote:

Genesis 30:9 - 13

When Leah saw that she had stopped having children, she took her servant Zilpah and gave her to Jacob as a wife.

Leah’s servant Zilpah bore Jacob a son.

Then Leah said, “What good fortune!” So she named him Gad.

Leah’s servant Zilpah bore Jacob a second son.

Then Leah said, “How happy I am! The women will call me happy.” So she named him Asher.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

McDowell posted:

Would teaching evolution be propaganda for Satan?

The Department of Liberal Wrongthink would be bombarded with troll complaints at an unimaginable rate. That he thinks such a system could be put into operation in America just shows how completely out of his depth Carson is.

edit:

DearS ir or Madame-

My professor Klein says the pepe goes in the vageen. Pleas investigate.

Thanks,

-Boner Frederick Douglass

Grand Theft Autobot has issued a correction as of 02:05 on Oct 28, 2015

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The Department of Liberal Wrongthink would be bombarded with troll complaints at an unimaginable rate. That he thinks such a system could be put into operation in America just shows how completely out of his depth Carson is.

edit:

DearS ir or Madame-

My professor Klein says the pepe goes in the vageen. Pleas investigate.

Thanks,

-Boner Frederick Douglass

Too who it may consern

I like Mcdonnels

-Branch the Drummar

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 02:18 on Jan 23, 2016

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Darth123123 posted:

I really want to send these links to my dad, but that's a dick move to someone with numbered days. Lol pull his Medicare, he's dead. Actively voting against your personal interests indeed.

medicare is insolvent, its a serious problem, its projected to continuously bloat in cost and consume all federal spending

people just poo poo talk anyone who mentions this at all with Establishment Propaganda to think theyre crazy or evil or not serious. when an executive at john hopkins for 30 years dealing handling rising health care costs is talking about healthcare, hes probably not "a retard"

he never even said hes going to get rid of medicare, but that we need a better system that reduces costs exponentially, like other countries have, and ppl our age would switch to that, since we wont have medicare lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8tKtbMzuXM

This is him speaking 2 his people and getting Democrats to vote for him, skip to 20 m

Smoothrich has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Oct 28, 2015

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Is Carson's dumbassery something he had to work hard to achieve or was he born this naturally retarded about life in general?

Do you think giving yourself a lobotomy is easy?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Seriously, I want someone to watch that video I just posted where he brings a room of black Dems to cheers on everything he says and people to explain how he's stupid. Skip to 20 minutes for his entrance and just listen to him sell himself to the black community and explain how he's wrong, racist, stupid or crazy. I'd love to hear someone to explain it, cuz I don't get it

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
I said this in another thread, but I work with doctors, and a good majority of them are like Carson, where they're convinced that they're right about everything, and will argue with you about how you do your job, even if it's something they know nothing about. While Carson probably likes that sweet Fox news money, I suspect he does legit believe a lot of the things he says. He probably also treats his team like poo poo, since the doctors here are absolutely terrible to the techs. I doubt he's a dumbass though, since you don't get to be a neurosurgeon at John Hopkins when you're dumb as a brick, but just has a lot of bad ideas that nobody can talk him out of. It doesn't really matter though, since he's not going to be the primary candidate.

Also, I decided to look up that stabbing story and holy crap.

quote:

“There was a time when I was, you know, very volatile,” Carson said. “But, you know, I changed.”

The story, as he told it this past week, goes something like this: Carson was 14 years old. He and his friend were arguing over radio stations. The disagreement escalated, Carson tried to stab him, and the blade ended up hitting his friend’s belt buckle—causing the knife to break and saving Carson and his victim from harm.

I know they were fourteen, but stabbing your friend over radio stations?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Smoothrich posted:

Seriously, I want someone to watch that video I just posted where he brings a room of black Dems to cheers on everything he says and people to explain how he's stupid. Skip to 20 minutes for his entrance and just listen to him sell himself to the black community and explain how he's wrong, racist, stupid or crazy. I'd love to hear someone to explain it, cuz I don't get it

Would you care to comment on his super crazy HSA plan, or his unbelievably crazy Department of Education plan?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Smoothrich posted:

Lmao there's a lot of things you dont get.

E; Check this out, you said you were hardcore into Obama right but grew disillusioned with the reality of his administration? Now you're all about the republican flavour of the month and name dropping salon and huffington post as the presumed favoured source of information for people who disagree with you.

How old are you, was Obama your first? Because it sounds like you went all in on your first love, had your heart broken by reality so now you've bounced to the opposite end of the spectrum with all of the fervor and naivate you gave to Obama. While assuming everybody else is exactly as intellectually shallow as you were/still are. I'm afraid you're gonna get your heart broken again. :(

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Oct 28, 2015

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Stop falling for Smoothrich's gimmick of spraying pissturds all over this forum and licking up the tears of the people who slip in them.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i hope they dont vote for carson :ohdear:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Stop not having Smoothrich on ignore.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I don't know why I find this so funny.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
But will he stab the tiger???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jewel Repetition posted:

I don't know why I find this so funny.