Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It's not a cost issue, cars easily cost 4x as much or more than transit, and people still drive.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
If you drive then you can afford a cheaper house outside the down town core, and you might get additional work opportunities, so it's not quite as simple as saying cars are vastly more expensive.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Helsing posted:

If you drive then you can afford a cheaper house outside the down town core, and you might get additional work opportunities, so it's not quite as simple as saying cars are vastly more expensive.

Correct. My job would not be possible without my car. Outside of that I think car ownership should not be discouraged in this country and I disagree with the overall tone of this thread towards motorists. I think if you want to drive you should be allowed to do so without stretching affordability to its limits.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Man I wish I did not miss this guy in the last election!

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

Automobile traffic into the downtown core has been steadily decreasing for the past decade. Also the plan calls for connecting Georgia Street via Pacific Street, allowing an easier connection to 1st Ave, reducing the number of turns and intersections required to leave the downtown core and head to the "boonies". It's really not as bad as people paint it to be and yet everyone gets fixated on this idea that we're going to have everything ruined.

I'm all for a more streamlined traffic system so I hope you're right. I think the main reason I was opposed to the idea was because the first pitch for the teardown I heard was talking about how great it will be to sell that land to developers so they can build more condos. That and I get to see the wonderful gridlock that is West Georgia approaching the Lions Gate bridge from my window, but that's a separate issue.

Do you have a source for traffic decreasing in the downtown core?

Melian Dialogue posted:

Thats the point. We can only make incentives go so far before we have to go the other route and use disincentives. People are not going to give up their cars while they are still more convenient and affordable than the other options.

Unfortunately, that luxury is going to end soon, and the sooner the city and other levels of government prepare for it, the better.

I don't think we'll ever be able to take the car out of Vancouver.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
http://vancouver.ca/docs/eastern-core/viaducts-study-summary.pdf

looks super thorough

e:

rawrr fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 28, 2015

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Cool, gonna check this out.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Yeah. This is what I was going to post. It has been cited in the NaPo as well:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/vancouver-traffic-worst-in-canada-study-says

quote:

But the Lower Mainland will continue to have a traffic congestion problem while its population grows and areas south of the Fraser River and east of Langley are underserviced by rapid transit, said Walton, the mayor of North Vancouver.

City of Vancouver staff noted the number of vehicle trips into downtown Vancouver in the past 15 years have decreased by 20%. That’s a result of an increase in transit, cycling and walking.

So yeah. Traffic sucks a lot outside of the city centre, but cars going in and out are decreasing and have so for the past few decades.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Turns out that study was done in 2011. There's a bunch more recent/relevant pdfs here: http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/viaducts-study.aspx but it's a lot of stuff to digest to form a meaningfully informed opinion.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Other than mobility impaired people and people who have to haul a bunch of crap for work, nobody needs a car in Vancouver. The transit system is a goddamned wet dream compared to everywhere else in Canada except maybe Montreal and whenever I'm making a relatively speedy 65km trip from Langley to Horseshoe Bay for like $3 I wonder why anyone would even bother driving.

That said a decent car sharing scheme that supported the whole GVA would be pretty sweet. It looks like there's a couple but they only serve the downtown core where cars are extra useless.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Terebus posted:

I don't think the replacement will handle the traffic...

Terebus posted:

I'm not a traffic engineer

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 2, 2016

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Melian Dialogue posted:

This isn't true. Both Car2Go and Evo support pretty much the entirety of Vancouver Proper from UBC to Boundary St. They don't only serve the downtown core.

Modo also serves from Surrey to North Vancouver--Victoria too.

quote:

Succinct and perfect. Guess what, your little confirmation bias-laden observations aren't a suitable alternative for real research and analysis, so I really don't care what joe-schmoe from Port Moody who drives in every day has to feel about the impact on traffic.

But my right to drive. :qq:

I wish there was an easier way to convey to the public that every square kilometre of road costs more to run and maintain than every kilometre of rapid transit.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Melian Dialogue posted:

This isn't true. Both Car2Go and Evo support pretty much the entirety of Vancouver Proper from UBC to Boundary St. They don't only serve the downtown core.

I guess I meant just Vancouver, as opposed to the rest of the GVA.
You can drive out of Vancouver, but you have to start and end your trip there, so if you live outside there you're sol.

I can't figure out if Modo has similar restrictions.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 28, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

Modo also serves from Surrey to North Vancouver--Victoria too.

But my right to drive. :qq:

I wish there was an easier way to convey to the public that every square kilometre of road costs more to run and maintain than every kilometre of rapid transit.

Square km to linear km?

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Bill Tieleman at the Tyee has a good analysis of the NDP's failure. In particular, he is absolutely right to contextualize this election as part of a greater, unsuccessful strategy:

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/10/27/NDP-Was-Not-Ready/ posted:

First, the federal NDP's 2015 loss and the failed campaign strategy are hardly unique. Take a look at the depressing BC NDP campaign of 2013, when the BC Liberals snatched away what many assumed was a guaranteed victory for the provincial New Dems.

There was also the disastrous Olivia Chow campaign for mayor of Toronto, where she fell from frontrunner to a "jaw dropping" third.

Then there is the thumping the NDP took in the federal byelection in Chow's former Toronto riding at the hands of Liberal Adam Vaughn, as well as the 2014 Ontario NDP provincial campaign by leader Andrea Horwath that alienated some supporters while ensuring Liberal Premier Kathleen Wynne won a majority government.

Those NDP "battle of the blands" recent campaigns all had several elements in common:

• A mistaken belief that a conservative, play it safe, front-runner, government-in-waiting type strategy would succeed no matter what;

• A focus on risk-averse platforms designed not to rock the boat with centrist voters who might worry what an NDP government would do;

• Running like pale Liberals instead of colourful New Democrats, leaving voters to pick the real thing over the imitation version;

• Weak, mostly content-free advertising focused on the leader only;

• Very few strong social democratic campaign promises that might excite the base; and

• An inability to pivot as circumstances changed during the election.

When the NDP moves to a boring middle road, its Liberal opponents have been able to outflank it on the left -- despite their centre-right governing records -- and offer a more exciting, vibrant brand of government activism than the bureaucratic New Democrats are willing to provide.

In some of these campaigns, senior party officials like McGrath and Lavigne, along with former federal NDP leadership runner-up Brian Topp (now Alberta Premier Rachel Notley's chief of staff), Nathan Rotman, and other NDP veterans played key roles.

For example, Topp ran then BC NDP leader Adrian Dix's 2013 campaign with Lavigne and McGrath assisting, and several senior federal NDP veterans were involved in the Chow mayoralty campaign.

But regardless of the cast, the plot is all too familiar: a campaign that begins with high hopes of victory ends in bitter defeat.

I'm perhaps not as eager as some others to see Mulcair go (though I agree that whatever happens, it needs to be a democratic decision), but the party's staffing, strategies, and organization need a complete overhaul.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Ikantski posted:

Square km to linear km?

Yes. It's hyperbole but pavement costs more to maintain than rail.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
You guys sure get indignant easy. I'm glad you can read I clearly stated those are my opinions as a layman. I'm going to check out those studies rawrr posted and get better informed. I'm all for better transit and a better road system. Like I said before, he main reason I'm skeptical of the viaduct teardown is because it seems like a way to just squeeze more condos into downtown and improving the traffic grid just seems to be a secondary concern. The linked studies can definitely change my mind though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Improving traffic flow in terms of throughput is and should be a secondary concern. The more throughput you add, the more people will attempt to drive on it, returning congestion to the previous levels. Usually it lags by a few months, but the result is the same. You can and should attempt to improve traffic flow in safety terms, but that's not what anybody is talking about in these discussions.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lmao at viaduct tears

gently caress you and gently caress Vancouver

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PittTheElder posted:

Improving traffic flow in terms of throughput is and should be a secondary concern. The more throughput you add, the more people will attempt to drive on it, returning congestion to the previous levels. Usually it lags by a few months, but the result is the same. You can and should attempt to improve traffic flow in safety terms, but that's not what anybody is talking about in these discussions.

Lolllll induced demand trope

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Cultural Imperial posted:

lmao at viaduct tears

gently caress you and gently caress Vancouver

Always the voice of reason in a sea of spandex assholes.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

THC posted:

Tell me more.

It wasn't ever really beyond the basic planning stage but the Hill reporter for the Huffpop found the documents and reported it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/581/024/760/rename-the-east-calgary-landfill-to-the-stephen-j-harper-research-archive/

Finally! An ePetition I'd actually sign.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
until you make transit faster than driving people wont care theyll shovel thousands of dollars out for the faster, more private commute

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Do it ironically posted:

until you make transit faster than driving people wont care theyll shovel thousands of dollars out for the faster, more private commute

It's already faster if you live near rapid transit. For me to get to work from where I live, it's a 5 minute walk, 25 minutes on the train, then maybe a 5 minute walk again. For me to drive, it would be 1 hour to drive and then 10 minutes to park and walk. There's little excuse for a lot of people who drive into downtown Vancouver other than they just don't care about forking out 4x the money.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Health Services posted:

Bill Tieleman at the Tyee has a good analysis of the NDP's failure. In particular, he is absolutely right to contextualize this election as part of a greater, unsuccessful strategy:

I'm perhaps not as eager as some others to see Mulcair go (though I agree that whatever happens, it needs to be a democratic decision), but the party's staffing, strategies, and organization need a complete overhaul.

This article in the Tyee also rings true:

quote:

But the people who run the NDP are political junkies. The clutch of strategists who steer the party, incapable of thinking politically or historically, were convinced that the breakthroughs in 2008 and 2011 owed to the fact that they'd suddenly gotten better at sending emails, were suddenly running more efficient campaigns. They favoured what was not only a purely national explanation for what was clearly at least partially an international phenomenon, but one that even more specifically rested on the story of their own personal genius.

quote:

By the time it came down to deficits versus balanced budgets, Mulcair had already painted himself into a corner, not only fiscally but temperamentally. He had kicked off the campaign by poo poo-canning a handful of candidates for their statements on Palestine (reminding many of us of the time he hounded Libby Davies; for some of us in the West and in the left our introduction to Mr. Mulcair), and then, when video emerged of him praising the political economy of Thatcherism, he shrugged. Candidate Obama would have taken the opportunity to deliver a defining, inspiring speech about the way we change as individuals and societies, what the left could learn from the right; Candidate Trudeau would have said something vapid and sappy and vaguely evasive. Mulcair shrugged.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jan posted:

But... m-m-m-my urban eyesore! :qq:

It's basically the same in Montreal, they want to tear down the elevated Bonaventure expressway into Montreal and who complained in droves? The south shore residents who insist on driving in and out of their suburbian hellhole every day. Everyone else on the island is thrilled to see it go, especially the residents of boroughs Verdun/LaSalle which are enclaved by the elevated expressway.

Basically, this:

Will become something like this:

We are!? Ohmigod, that's great news! That viaduc always felt to me like a little part of Detroit in Montreal.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It would be pretty interesting to require representation in parliament from all age groups.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Whoa guys, whoa, I've just had a crazy drunk idea:

What if we made it mandatory that parties fully dissolve after two consecutive campaigns, that party names are banned from reuse for twenty years, and all parties are handed equal funding from a federally controlled "trust fund".

:derp:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Rime posted:

What if we made it mandatory that parties fully dissolve after two consecutive campaigns, that party names are banned from reuse for twenty years, and all parties are handed equal funding from a federally controlled "trust fund".

A fund that is preferably controlled by some kind of Protectorate...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rime posted:

Sounds like a great way to ensure the public forgets about the bad things the Conservatives did when after two elections they disband and run identical candidates with an identical backroom team but a different name and different colours.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Craig Scott is pretty salty over losing, isn't he?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

He was the shadow cabinet minister of democratic reform, and he would know.

Disclaimer: I worked in his constituency office for a few years.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Kafka Esq. posted:

He was the shadow cabinet minister of democratic reform, and he would know.

Disclaimer: I worked in his constituency office for a few years.

I don't care what he was shadow minister for*, how does he know that after repeatedly promising - both before and after the election - that this would be the last Canadian Federal election under FPTP that the government won't honour its promise?

Also, his concession Facebook post was super salty, and it sure doesn't look like he's over it yet.

*Unless he's, like, the Shadow Minister, and he protects Canada from magical threats

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I don't care what he was shadow minister for*, how does he know that after repeatedly promising - both before and after the election - that this would be the last Canadian Federal election under FPTP that the government won't honour its promise?

Craig Scott posted:

I honestly do not believe that — at the leadership level of the Liberal Party — there is a commitment to proportional representation.

What part of that statement is wrong? The Liberals never promised PR. Was there ever a motion to support PR at a convention, even?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Haha you're actually defending his lies that he might commit in future you partisan poo poo fucker

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Also, his concession Facebook post was super salty, and it sure doesn't look like he's over it yet.

*Unless he's, like, the Shadow Minister, and he protects Canada from magical threats

Would you be very surprised that the Liberal government would introduce a non-proportional voting system? That's rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Terebus posted:

I live in downtown and I think it's a bad idea to tear down the viaducts. I don't think the replacement will handle the traffic and they'll just use the area to build more condos so I'm not sure how that's beneficial. They are an eyesore though. I think city council paid for a before/after traffic assessment but I'm not sure how much I trust that. What's the benefit to tearing the viaducts down?

The viaduct teardown coupled with the hospital moving outside of downtown Vancouver is going to make it pretty hilarious for when ambulances need to get anywhere near the Stanley Park or English bay areas.

The benefit is it will create residences for an estimated 2500 people. Add onto that all the amenities, restaurants, and retail that come along with new building development. Removing the viaducts opens up the potential for a whole new neighbourhood where there is currently fenced off police impound lots, parking and other unused spaces.

We all like to trash condo developers, but unless you're posting from a tent in Trout Lake Park you're currently benefiting from the fact that some developer at some point was allowed to build a condo/apartment/house.