Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

No seriously you're doing the same thing Harris and Nawaz are doing in that interview. So I'm asking if you're being literal and if cartoon really does excuse everything horrible done in the name of islam because of western adventurism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

katlington posted:

No seriously you're doing the same thing Harris and Nawaz are doing in that interview. So I'm asking if you're being literal and if cartoon really does excuse everything horrible done in the name of islam because of western adventurism.

Sounds like a fascinating line of questioning my man. Let me know where it gets you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maybe the answer is somewhere in the AHBAHBLNLNNMLM

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is there a meetup tonight?

Also Muslims hate us for our bicycle helmets.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Because their argument is that the left is literally down with slavery and acid attacks because of cultural relativism but they should stop being cool about poo poo like that in the name of cultural relativism and everybody should become secular humanists.

Which I honestly thought was the left's argument this whole time, secular humanism.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
A crusade will fix their little red wagon.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Sounds like a fascinating line of questioning my man. Let me know where it gets you.

It seems to be giving you a lot of trouble. Because, like I already said, I've never seen this. I have never seen a person excuse horrific poo poo being done by muslims because of imperialism or cultural relativism. If it's such a common view on the left it shouldn't be so hard to find.

What I have seen is people interpret discussing context as condoning. Discussing foreign intervention as a contributing factor instead of just muslims are inherently dangerous, which is a popular mainstream viewpoint, is viewed as excusing violence because of those foreign interventions. Is that what you're doing now?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Coalition will not be 'bullied' on border protection, says Peter Dutton

:cry:Amnesty International are big ol meanies:cry:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SynthOrange posted:

Lmao UK tories deacribe Abbotts speech as fascistic

Reading the comments on twitter from the age article is interesting. Lots of comments supporting our tones.

Guess Australians really love fascism.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

When did criticism become bullying? Genuinely curious

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Immi dept leakier than a refugee boat.

Australia ignored three requests from Nauru medical staff to move Abyan
Exclusive: Requests contradict comments by Peter Dutton, who said transfer of pregnant refugee had been delayed because of ‘other unrelated health issues’

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/29/australia-ignored-three-requests-from-nauru-medical-staff-to-move-abyan

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
This Jezebel article is trending on facebook for some reason
Aussie Accent Developed Through Years of Heavy Drinking, Says New Theory

quote:

A new theory out of Victoria University in Melbourne suggests that the Australian accent is not (as previously thought) the product of blending dialects, but is actually the result of Australians continually getting poo poo-faced together.

“Our forefathers regularly got drunk together and through their frequent interactions unknowingly added an alcoholic slur to our national speech patterns,” says public speaking and communication lecturer Dean Frenkel. “…Aussie-speak developed in the early days of colonial settlement from a cocktail of English, Irish, Aboriginal and German – before another mystery influence was slipped into the mix.”

But Frenkel isn’t having anymore of this Australian slur speak:
“The average Australian speaks to just two thirds capacity – with one third of our articulator muscles always sedentary as if lying on the couch; and that’s just concerning articulation.

Missing consonants can include missing ‘t’s (impordant), ‘l’s (Austraya) and ‘s’s (yesh), while many of our vowels are lazily transformed into other vowels, especially ‘a’s to ‘e’s (stending) and ‘i’s (New South Wyles), and ‘i’s to ‘oi’s (noight).”

As The Telegraph remembers, Winston Churchill once called the Australian accent “the most brutal maltreatment which has ever been inflicted upon the mother tongue of the great English speaking nations.” (Note: Churchill died before Bob Dylan could really peak.)

But outside of the brutal tactics of colonialism, fighting trends in language is typically a losing battle. The drunken Australian accent—like uptalk (another staple of the Aussie dialect) and vocal fry—is will remain until it naturally develops into something else.

Good onya, Australia! Keep being your sloppy selves and inflicting your brutal maltreatment onto the mother tongue of the great English speaking nations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

trunkh posted:

When did criticism become bullying? Genuinely curious

When newspapers started retweeting Peter Dutton's tumblr

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

katlington posted:

How stupid would a person have to be to believe the lnp have actually "stopped the boats"
23, 117, 89, 110, 403, 104, 1*

The numbers must be wrong!!! 1111

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Immi dept leakier than a refugee boat.

Yet somehow they have successfully concealed a vast, undefined number of boats from the public

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Unabashed snobbery.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

That is laughably stupid.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Oh cool, the "new theory" the article talks about is actually just a reference to a throwaway line in this boring opinion piece from the age.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-fourth-r-missing-from-australian-education-20151025-gkhv8k.html

Blog spam is cool.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Some Paywalled Paper posted:

Punishment for SA Police officer’s shocking racial abuse of Aboriginal man was cultural awareness training
A POLICE officer who told an Aboriginal man he would like to tie a hose around his neck and then “set you on fire and drag you around the streets attached to our car”, was not sacked or demoted but sent for cultural awareness training, it has been revealed.

Acting Police Ombudsman Michael Grant said he felt “compelled” to make public the case of a senior constable who pleaded guilty to racially abusing and threatening an Aboriginal man, whom he was detaining under the Mental Health Act.

An Ombudsman’s investigation deemed the officer “entirely unsuitable” for the force after his shocking behaviour was reported by police colleagues. It is revealed in the latest Police Ombudsman report, which also cites police for swearing at aggressive or drunk people and motorists.

During the exchange with the Aboriginal man, the officer called him a “black c---”.

The man said to the officer: “You want to kill me, don’t you? Why don’t you just kill me already? Just take that hose and hang me on the tree”.

The officer responded: “I’d like to tie the hose around your neck, set you on fire, and drag you around the streets attached to our car with the lights and sirens on”.

The officer was charged with a breach of discipline, to which he pleaded guilty, and in March this year, then-police commissioner Gary Burns ordered that he be transferred to the Police Academy for six weeks, during which time he should undergo cultural awareness training and help develop a training course for Police Aboriginal Liaison Officers, Traditional Community Constables and Community Constables.

However, former Police Ombudsman Sarah Bolt — who resigned from the role early this year — had said in assessing the case that the officer was “entirely unsuitable to continue as a member of the police force”.

Mr Grant said he was now dealing with another complaint from Aboriginal people about the same officer.

He states in his first annual report, tabled in State Parliament this week, that he agreed with Ms Bolt.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

More than zero = boats not stopped. Checkmate tories :smuggo:

Congrats on making literally the dumbest possible criticism of a dumb slogan for a dumb policy by dumb idiots.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The whole issue of the conduct that Amnesty has just brought to light (after a pretty rigorous investigation) will be the subject of a Royal Commission one day. The real question is when. I unfortunately think it won't be until all of the current crop of perpetrators are out of office.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I'm sure all the orange boats the government bought were just for funsies now that they have so much spare time from having 100% solved the issue of boat immigration.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Hey Cartoon, you should watch Holy Motors by Leos Carax.

I'm currently doing an analysis of it for my French Cinema subject and it is loving with my brain.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cartoon posted:

The whole issue of the conduct that Amnesty has just brought to light (after a pretty rigorous investigation) will be the subject of a Royal Commission one day. The real question is when. I unfortunately think it won't be until all of the current crop of perpetrators are out of office.

When the greens are in power, so never.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Mithranderp posted:

I'm currently doing an analysis of it for my French Cinema subject and it is loving with my brain.

hahaha

good luck!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Birdstrike posted:

hahaha

good luck!

it's loving with my brain so much that I posted this in the wrong thread

:suicide:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Mithranderp posted:

This is a good movie and also Peter Dutton is a malignant sponge.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone else read this piece by marr in the Guardian? I felt it was using statistics and surveys to come to an incongruous conclusion, specifically:

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...tt-came-unstuck

quote:

Multiculturalism means different things to different people, but its triumph now seems complete. More strongly than ever, 86% of Australians believe “multiculturalism has been good for Australia”. Ask Australians if we should choose migrants on the basis of race or religion and 76% say no.

In world terms, Markus argues, that’s an emphatic endorsement. “They aren’t saying that in France and Germany.” More than 60% of us believe Australians should do more to learn about the customs and heritage of those who settle here. The old assimilationist position – that immigrants must adapt and become like Australians – is held by a mere 23% of us.

That sunny mood is not disturbed by any worries we might have about the fate of refugees trying to make their way here under their own steam. Asked to nominate the most important problem facing Australia today, 2% of us nominated concern over the poor treatment of asylum seekers.

The boats have stopped but Australia remains deeply divided on the issue. The figures have barely budged in three years. Only among Greens voters is there a majority – 64% – for allowing boat people a permanent home in this country. After that, support falls off a cliff: only 11% of Liberal and National party voters can countenance the idea of letting boat people land here and stay.

Maybe that just suggests how a government can make an issue out of absolutely nothing if they just really persevere at it for 15 years. Or maybe when people get asked about "multiculturalism" a lot of them are thinking about Greeks and Italians rather than Syrians or Afghans.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's like when they claimed people didn't believe in democracy because they thought the Australian government was poo poo.

Multiculturalism means different things to different people, I'm not sure if asking people 'do you think multiculturalism has been good for Australia' will tell you much more than how people answer that question. At least not on its own.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Do you like having curries, kebabs, pho, burgers, pizza, noodles, stir fries and pasta all in the same food court?'

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Does multiculturalism mean people can build a mosque and wear the niqab because there are people on both the left and right of the political spectrum who would object to Muslims doing those two things in Australia

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

SynthOrange posted:

'Do you like having curries, kebabs, pho, burgers, pizza, noodles, stir fries and pasta all in the same food court?'

No, it makes the decision on what to eat too hard it's probably going to be curry, extra so if they make fresh naan

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's disingenuous to call vessels being intercepted offshore and thus not physically reaching the australian shore "stopping the boats." You haven't stopped a thing. That's people's actual argument.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

open24hours posted:

It's like when they claimed people didn't believe in democracy because they thought the Australian government was poo poo.

Multiculturalism means different things to different people, I'm not sure if asking people 'do you think multiculturalism has been good for Australia' will tell you much more than how people answer that question. At least not on its own.

As long as they're not saying no, it's something. When people start talking about how multiculturalism has failed is when things are truly hosed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I like how the response to violence in the middle east is "oh how these uncivilised savages love murdering one another, can't have that here!"

But for violence in Europe it's like "oopsy looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning! Calmer heads will prevail soon enough."

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

katlington posted:

As long as they're not saying no, it's something. When people start talking about how multiculturalism has failed is when things are truly hosed.

Multiculturalism only fails because of bigots like Reclaim Australia who (rather ironically) reject pluralism.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

freebooter posted:

Anyone else read this piece by marr in the Guardian? I felt it was using statistics and surveys to come to an incongruous conclusion, specifically:

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...tt-came-unstuck

Maybe that just suggests how a government can make an issue out of absolutely nothing if they just really persevere at it for 15 years. Or maybe when people get asked about "multiculturalism" a lot of them are thinking about Greeks and Italians rather than Syrians or Afghans.

It's a wedge as Marr says in the article. The percentage of people who are actually hardcore anti-immigration and/or outright racist when it comes down to it is small. It's a definitional problem about what is fair and not fair. I reckon.

I only stopped in to check out amethysts posts after his meltdown in games. You guys prove that we are quite tolerant. Small and biased sample accepted.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Nien posted:

It's a wedge as Marr says in the article. The percentage of people who are actually hardcore anti-immigration and/or outright racist when it comes down to it is small. It's a definitional problem about what is fair and not fair. I reckon.

I only stopped in to check out amethysts posts after his meltdown in games. You guys prove that we are quite tolerant. Small and biased sample accepted.

Welcome to the fanclub. Please feel free to buy me an av, I'm sick of this one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

An asylum seeker living in the community on a bridging visa has taken his life at Brisbane airport, allegedly fearful he was soon to be deported.

Reza, a 26-year-old Iranian whose last name cannot be published out of concern for retribution against his family, had grown increasingly worried that he was being followed and would be taken into detention.

“He was scared to stay here,” a friend said.

“He was scared and thinking that people would get him if he stay here. He thought that he must escape from this area as police and people were chasing him. He got to Brisbane and he stayed in the street until morning.”

The friend said Reza called him at 7am on Tuesday and said: “I am tired. Always police and people follow me. I want to kill myself. Tell my family.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Zahki posted:

They spoke about this on Lateline last night and both guests, one of them a Muslim himself, disagreed with that idea. And both of them were quite critical of the left wing tendency to try and whitewash Islamic extremism by placing blame on western powers instead of the extremists themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwQhu1A-Ats

i'm glad dawkins jr was there to explain that islam is fundamentally incompatible with not being a regressive barbarian also but im not racist

• Locked thread