Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They don't really model the west African slave trade at all. Might make those provinces more valuable if they did. Also wasn't there a shitload of gold coming out of Mali at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Mansa Musa was the richest man alive during the game period.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

They don't really model the west African slave trade at all. Might make those provinces more valuable if they did. Also wasn't there a shitload of gold coming out of Mali at this point?

Maybe add another trade route going up to Cairo/Marrakesh?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
What causes heresies to spring up? Is it just random?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Lowered morale authority will increase how likely it is for them to spring up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Walton Simons posted:

What causes heresies to spring up? Is it just random?

The lower the main religion's moral authority goes, the more heresies spring up.

e: f;b :argh:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I still think it would be cool if the heretic opinion malus was more severe than the wrong religion opinion malus.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Ah, cool, so that's what that does.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

The Sharmat posted:

I still think it would be cool if the heretic opinion malus was more severe than the wrong religion opinion malus.

According to the Wiki, it is. -30 for infidels, -35 for heretics.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Huh. I could swear I remember it being the opposite.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Back To 99 posted:

Mansa Musa was the richest man alive during the game period.

He's also like the third or fourth richest person to ever live period. And some argue he may actually be the richest person, as his wealth was nearly incalculable due to the gold mines he owned. His 3rd/4th place ranking is only based on what could actually be dug up about his finances and doesn't include un-mined gold he technically had ownership of.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 28, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As someone who knows basically nothing about Africa I think that's interesting, and I wish there was more reason to play West Africa or Abyssinia because I usually end up looking stuff up about things I see in game. Abyssinia and region have a different Christian religion, right? Does that have any mechanics?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

As someone who knows basically nothing about Africa I think that's interesting, and I wish there was more reason to play West Africa or Abyssinia because I usually end up looking stuff up about things I see in game. Abyssinia and region have a different Christian religion, right? Does that have any mechanics?

They're basically Orthodox without any of the Byzantine bonuses.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Africa DLC tia, do it all in one fell swoop.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Just a heads up from the TES thread, where it was posted but (surprisingly) not here. Elder Kings has updated, featuring what I think is the greatest changelog note I've ever seen:
code:
- 0000021: [General] Elves are a goddamn herpes reservoir.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

LaSalsaVerde posted:

Africa DLC tia, do it all in one fell swoop.

Would love this, please do pdx.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
An Africa DLC might be very manageable, actually, if they add solid new mechanics and such (perhaps related to making not just Africans but also tribals just a little bit more viable for a particular sort of playstyle for late game), stick to the current map and do like they did with the Mongols and only add a few counties/duchies, some extra trade routes to simulate the slave trade that deffo went on a lot + maybe create a link between east and west in the south (not sure if a route existed historically) to give the potential of linking up. Heck, even if a route didn't exist there it's not as if there hasn't been a precedent for ahistorical DLC before (read Sunset Invasion).

Doubt they'd want to expand the map size for it tho...south of what we can see currently, I think, only a few tribal states and colonies existed and those didn't become important too much until the Portugese started making their rounds after the Medieval ages.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 29, 2015

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
No more provinces, I'm super serial about this guys. No More.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Make the Africa DLC based around refining/updating/adding new mechanics to the in game economy plus gold mines/resources with Mansa Musa as a vocal point like Charlemange by giving him unique events.

Also don't expand the map but add like a few more regions like Horse Lords did.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 29, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

remove a couple of regions in scandinavia and throw them in africa

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Late game tribal shouldn't be viable though. It's an obstacle to be overcome, not a playstyle.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

:dogbutton:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The non-Muslim areas of Africa will always suck because the only way to expand is to fight the clown car. East Africa at least can get pretty big on its own, but Mali is just worthless land that would cost so much to get up to par that you'd never break even nestled next to the worst Muslim kingdom with the second strongest allies.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Add that corridor from Ghana to Ethiopia that EU4 has.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

The non-Muslim areas of Africa will always suck because the only way to expand is to fight the clown car. East Africa at least can get pretty big on its own, but Mali is just worthless land that would cost so much to get up to par that you'd never break even nestled next to the worst Muslim kingdom with the second strongest allies.

Reforming from tribal now gives an automatic city, barony, and temple, so it's honestly not that bad. The hardest part is by far reforming the faith. If you convert to Islam, it's actually super easy to make Mali relevant.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Volkerball posted:

Reforming from tribal now gives an automatic city, barony, and temple, so it's honestly not that bad. The hardest part is by far reforming the faith. If you convert to Islam, it's actually super easy to make Mali relevant.

Yeah but at that point you're not really playing West Africa. The only time I've ever formed the empire of Mali was when I did the Caliphate Strikes Back.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I tried forming Mali as those Visigoth Muslims parked in Tangier, but those West African assholes kept converting at 99% warscore.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah but at that point you're not really playing West Africa. The only time I've ever formed the empire of Mali was when I did the Caliphate Strikes Back.

Yeah, i agree. West African is just such a drat boring religion.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Yep. Trying to make African pagans interesting to play is pointless so long as the Muslim clowncar blocks all avenues to significant expansion.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Funky Valentine posted:

Add that corridor from Ghana to Ethiopia that EU4 has.

Would prolly help the most vs the muslim clown car, since not only would it potentially link up all non-muslim africans but also add more counties and duchies. Enough to make it its own self-contained world...or enough to conquer so that the joint pagan african empire could surge even past the muslim clown car.

Not to mention slave trade routes helping with cash, were they added (there was legit horrible inflation in Egypt, who fleeced the gold-laden africans that made the trip during Mali's times I think, but their money then travelled right into Italian merchant republic hands, so Egypt suffered too)...but yea...hence African DLC having to be this dedicated thing, if they ever wanted to make it work.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

yes :kheldragar:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I can reliably get all of Mali and a few provinces from the Muslims in every West African game I play. After that its just blehhhh inevitable reaching the third site I need and then being crushed under the Umayyads during a war for that.

Bonus points for Hispania being formed 30 years in just to really kick my rear end back down the well.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Honestly a fleshing-out of Africa probably would have been much better than Rajas, in terms of being content that would reliably interact with the game for more than the previous fringes of the playable map.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I should really see about giving Nomadic West Africa another try. Because I think what may help their strength is having thousands of horses camels.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sky Shadowing posted:

Just a heads up from the TES thread, where it was posted but (surprisingly) not here. Elder Kings has updated, featuring what I think is the greatest changelog note I've ever seen:
code:
- 0000021: [General] Elves are a goddamn herpes reservoir.

Y'all fetchers should be playing this btw

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

No, France/Italy/Germany. Speaking as a man from the steppes, they do not need all those postage-stamp counties, and Guines in particular looks like somebody dribbled while they were drawing up the maps.

ETA: Well this is unusual. My horde was just inherited by my son the doge, so now there's a merchant republic stretching from the Aral Sea to the Mediterranean. Is there some way to undo this, turn my character back into a nomad, or am I just going to have to learn to love building trade posts?

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 29, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Soup du Jour posted:

Honestly a fleshing-out of Africa probably would have been much better than Rajas, in terms of being content that would reliably interact with the game for more than the previous fringes of the playable map.

I suspect it would have worked out about the same honestly.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

ETA: Well this is unusual. My horde was just inherited by my son the doge, so now there's a merchant republic stretching from the Aral Sea to the Mediterranean. Is there some way to undo this, turn my character back into a nomad, or am I just going to have to learn to love building trade posts?

Not by default, though of course there's a mod to allow you to turn Nomad at your own will:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=483273828

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Bloodly posted:

Not by default, though of course there's a mod to allow you to turn Nomad at your own will:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=483273828
Yeah, and there's also set_government, but I'm trying for achievements so neither of those helps. I also expect there is some convoluted way to ensure that my heir is still part of a nomadic clan, but right now I expect it'll be marginally easier to just replay the last 40-odd years.

ETA: Or yeah, I can just reorganize my new enormous empire and learn to love trade posts. Might very well stick with that; assuming I can get vassal opinions sorted out, especially the nomadic clans I still have, I'll be starting from the end goal of most republics.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 29, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

YouTuber posted:

No more provinces, I'm super serial about this guys. No More.

How could they represent the power of the Garamantians without 400 additional provinces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
More provinces, like lots more. I want to play nomadic aboriginal Australians and invade china with a horde of emu cavalry.

• Locked thread