Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Who actually has a book with the first ten thousand primes listed. Who would print a book with ten thousand primes. There's zero use to that. Any real use for that information would be computerised.
While I'm not sure about the primes, there certainly is a book of random numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Million_Random_Digits_with_100,000_Normal_Deviates

You might fairly ask why does an eleven year old child, even a precocious and math-loving one, have such a book, and I'll tell you why: He's an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
My relatively compact mathematics reference book from back in college lists 400 primes... it takes only about 60% of the space of a page to do so. You wouldn't need a lot of pages to get to ten thousand. Before the invention of electronic calculators they used to publish books that were nothing but tables of hundreds of thousands of logarithms. What I'm saying is, books like this with just a shitload of "useful" numbers have not been at all uncommon historically, or even today. Hogwarts is an old place, where computers aren't a thing, so it doesn't surprise me at all to see that.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hmm, I think breaking down these chapters into such small pieces is causing us to jump on any little thing to nitpick. Quite frankly, nothing unusual at all happened in this sub-chapter, so instead of rolling our eyes at the experiment itself we're splitting hairs about prime number tables.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My relatively compact mathematics reference book from back in college lists 400 primes... it takes only about 60% of the space of a page to do so. You wouldn't need a lot of pages to get to ten thousand. Before the invention of electronic calculators they used to publish books that were nothing but tables of hundreds of thousands of logarithms. What I'm saying is, books like this with just a shitload of "useful" numbers have not been at all uncommon historically, or even today. Hogwarts is an old place, where computers aren't a thing, so it doesn't surprise me at all to see that.

More like "where computers CAN'T BE a thing". Electronic devices don't work at Hogwarts; I don't remember if either the novels or HPMOR ever gave an in-universe justification. (The narrative rationale is pretty clear, though.)

blastron posted:

Hmm, I think breaking down these chapters into such small pieces is causing us to jump on any little thing to nitpick. Quite frankly, nothing unusual at all happened in this sub-chapter, so instead of rolling our eyes at the experiment itself we're splitting hairs about prime number tables.

:agreed:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The novels mention that with so much magic flying around hogwarts electronics don't work.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
yeah, i don't like the way yudkowsky seems to be avoiding describing the book but it's really a pretty minor thing

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Who actually has a book with the first ten thousand primes listed. Who would print a book with ten thousand primes. There's zero use to that. Any real use for that information would be computerised.

Mathematicians considered computing lists and tables of primes a thing, before the advent of computers. D. N. Lehmer published the descriptively titled List of Prime Numbers from 1 to 10,006,721 in 1914 and it got a couple of reprintings so these books do exist. You can even buy a copy from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/List-Prime-Numbers-006-721/dp/B001JY8PGC!

However, neither of the most common engineering reference books, Pocket Ref or Machinery's Handbook, have tables of the first 10,000 primes alongside the trig and log tables. It's possible some of the old engineering or mathematics reference books might, but I don't have a full library to look at and check at the moment.

Also it is possible that Yud misremembered the D. N. Lehmer book as ten thousand rather than ten million or something.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 17 – Locating the Hypothesis
Part Two

quote:

Anthony wordlessly accepted the book and took out a parchment and quill. Harry spun around and shut his eyes, making sure not to see anything, dancing back and forth and bouncing up and down with impatience. He got a pad of paper and a mechanical pencil and got ready to write.

"Okay," Anthony said, "One hundred and eighty-one thousand, four hundred and twenty-nine."

Harry wrote down 181,429. He repeated what he'd just written down, and Anthony confirmed it.

Then Harry raced back down into the cavern level of his trunk, glanced at his watch (the watch said 4:28 which meant 7:28) and then shut his eyes.

Around thirty seconds later, Harry heard the sound of steps, followed by the sound of the cavern level of the trunk sliding shut. (Harry wasn't worried about suffocating. An automatic Air-Freshening Charm was part of what you got if you were willing to buy a really good trunk. Wasn't magic wonderful, it didn't have to worry about electric bills.)

And when Harry opened his eyes, he saw just what he'd been hoping to see, a folded piece of paper left on the floor, the gift of his future self.

Call that piece of paper "Paper-2".

Harry tore a piece of paper off his pad.

Call that "Paper-1". It was, of course, the same piece of paper. You could even see, if you looked closely, that the ragged edges matched.

Harry reviewed in his mind the algorithm that he would follow.

If Harry opened up Paper-2 and it was blank, then he would write "101 x 101" down on Paper-1, fold it up, study for an hour, go back in time, drop off Paper-1 (which would thereby become Paper-2), and head on up out of the cavern level to join his dorm mates for breakfast.

If Harry opened up Paper-2 and it had two numbers written on it, Harry would multiply those numbers together.

If their product equaled 181,429, Harry would write down those two numbers on Paper-1 and send Paper-1 back in time.

Otherwise Harry would add 2 to the number on the right and write down the new pair of numbers on Paper-1. Unless that made the number on the right greater than 997, in which case Harry would add 2 to the number on the left and write down 101 on the right.

And if Paper-2 said 997 x 997, Harry would leave Paper-1 blank.

Which meant that the only possible stable time loop was the one in which Paper-2 contained the two prime factors of 181,429.

I’m too hopped up on flu medication to work through this whole thing. Could someone explain whether and how Harry’s scheme works?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He's determining prime factors with a recursive time loop that'll only have an exit condition - aka him not loving around with time travel any more - when he has the correct prime factors written down.

Because time travel in Harry Potter hypothetically always exists in a stable timeline, the only scenario that could happen is that he receives the right factors and goes and writes the right factors to his past self. Otherwise, the loop will be inconsistent.

Before we can answer if this is viable, we really need to know what happens if you deliberately try to change the past in Harry Potter in a way that's unambiguous (unlike HP3). A more probable scenario here is that he gets lovely numbers, is about to change the past, and an anvil falls on his head before he can.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 28, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Before we can answer if this is viable, we really need to know what happens if you deliberately try to change the past in Harry Potter in a way that's unambiguous (unlike HP3). A more probable scenario here is that he gets lovely numbers, is about to change the past, and an anvil falls on his head before he can.

That got answered on pottermore. The answer is that poo poo gets really hosed up.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Three

quote:

If this worked, Harry could use it to recover any sort of answer that was easy to check but hard to find. He wouldn't have just shown that P=NP once you had a Time-Turner, this trick was more general than that. Harry could use it to find the combinations on combination locks, or passwords of every sort. Maybe even find the entrance to Slytherin's Chamber of Secrets, if Harry could figure out some systematic way of describing all the locations in Hogwarts. It would be an awesome cheat even by Harry's standards of cheating.

Harry took Paper-2 in his trembling hand, and unfolded it.

Paper-2 said in slightly shaky handwriting:

DO NOT MESS WITH TIME

Ominous.

quote:

Harry wrote down "DO NOT MESS WITH TIME" on Paper-1 in slightly shaky handwriting, folded it neatly, and resolved not to do any more truly brilliant experiments on Time until he was at least fifteen years old.

To the best of Harry's knowledge, that had been the scariest experimental result in the entire history of science.

It had been somewhat difficult for Harry to focus on reading his textbook for the next hour.

That was how Harry's Thursday started.

Why fifteen years old? What changes when Eliezarry turns fifteen?

quote:

Thursday.

If you wanted to be specific, 3:32pm on Thursday afternoon.

Harry and all the other boys in the first year were outside on a grassy field with Madam Hooch, standing next to the Hogwarts supply of broomsticks. The girls would be learning to fly separately. Apparently, for some reason, girls didn't want to learn how to fly on broomsticks in the presence of boys.

Is this because of the girls wearing skirts? Why doesn’t Hogwarts have sufficient wealth and resources to issue pants to the girls?

I do like this minor reminder that despite Eliezarry’s precociousness, he’s still a young boy and is not yet aware of girls in the “birds and bees” sense.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JosephWongKS posted:

Part Three

Ominous.

Not massively. Assuming it HAS to end up self-consistent, a stable time loop where Elizarry convinces himself not to go through with it is far more probable a world than a stable time loop where he gets the right factors. Not really scary as such, but hey, he's 11.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 28, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JosephWongKS posted:

Why fifteen years old? What changes when Eliezarry turns fifteen?

I guess it's just supposed to be the idea that to an eleven-year-old that seems like a long time away.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

Is this because of the girls wearing skirts? Why doesn’t Hogwarts have sufficient wealth and resources to issue pants to the girls?

One of the things that irritated me a great deal about the films is how they completely chickened out of one of my favourite details about Hogwarts and the wizarding world in general; witches and wizards wear robes, not Muggle clothes. (This is why Levicorpus is such an evil little spell.)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also: pointy hats

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, and by the latter movies they even barely ever wore the university-robe style uniforms, they often just had standard commonwealth private school look from underneath that. (when they were in uniforms at all)

I liked the university robe style.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 28, 2015

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

That was a pretty cute resolution to the time travel trick, which also means he doesn't have to plot around it in future. I liked that.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Peel posted:

That was a pretty cute resolution to the time travel trick, which also means he doesn't have to plot around it in future. I liked that.

I agree. It's also really satisfying to see someone who believes they've got all possible outcomes worked out get blindsided by something they hadn't thought of. Like an Outside Context Problem out of a Banks novel. The fact that Yudkowsky knows this and can exploit it for a joke is one of a small number of things in this sprawling novel which made me revise my opinion of him in a positive way.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

SolTerrasa posted:

I agree. It's also really satisfying to see someone who believes they've got all possible outcomes worked out get blindsided by something they hadn't thought of. Like an Outside Context Problem out of a Banks novel. The fact that Yudkowsky knows this and can exploit it for a joke is one of a small number of things in this sprawling novel which made me revise my opinion of him in a positive way.

Even I'll note this is actually a good bit, yes. HPMOR couldn't suck like it does without good bits.

Pretty sure you could get an almost-usable first draft out of HPMOR if you just skipped from chapter 30 to chapter 100. Possibly chapters 25-100. Just skip straight from chapter 25 to chapter 100 and don't worry if it doesn't make sense, reading the other 74 chapters wouldn't have helped.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Four

quote:

Harry had been a little wobbly all day long. He just couldn't seem to stop wondering how that particular stable time loop had been selected out of what was, in retrospect, a rather large space of possibilities.

Also: seriously, broomsticks? He was going to fly on, basically, a line segment? Wasn't that pretty much the single most unstable shape you could possibly find, short of attempting to hold on to a point marble? Who'd selected that design for a flying device, out of all the possibilities? Harry had been hoping that it was just a figure of speech, but no, they were standing in front of what looked for all the world like ordinary wooden kitchen broomsticks. Had someone just gotten stuck on the idea of broomsticks and failed to consider anything else? It had to be. There was no way that the optimal designs for cleaning kitchens and flying would happen to coincide if you worked them out from scratch.

It’s magic. Literal magic. You think that after having seen McGonagall literally turn into a literal cat and after a full week in Hogwarts, Eliezarry would have learned to deal with it.

quote:

It was a clear day with a bright blue sky and a brilliant sun that was just begging to get in your eyes and make it impossible to see, if you were trying to fly around the sky. The ground was nice and dry, smelling positively baked, and somehow felt very, very hard under Harry's shoes.

Harry kept reminding himself that the lowest common denominator of eleven-year-olds was expected to learn this and it couldn't be that hard.

"Stick out your right hand over the broom, or left hand if you're left-handed," called Madam Hooch. "And say, UP!"

"UP!" everyone shouted.

The broomstick leapt eagerly into Harry's hand.

Which put him at the head of the class, for once. Apparently saying "UP!" was a lot more difficult than it looked, and most of the broomsticks were rolling around on the ground or trying to inch away from their would-be riders.

(Of course Harry would have bet money that Hermione had done at least as well when it came her own turn to try, earlier in the day. There couldn't possibly be anything he could master on the first try which would baffle Hermione, and if there was and it turned out to be broomstick riding instead of anything intellectual, Harry would just die.)

Kinda sad that Eliezer, in his late-twenties or early thirties (whenever it was that he wrote this chapter), is still stuck in a “jock vs nerds” mindset.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wasn't there some mention of other flying devices like cauldrons and carpets in the books?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JosephWongKS posted:

Kinda sad that Eliezer, in his late-twenties or early thirties (whenever it was that he wrote this chapter), is still stuck in a “jock vs nerds” mindset.
It's not even an international thing, as it barely applies outside the States. Not a British thing, as far as I can tell.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

It’s magic. Literal magic. You think that after having seen McGonagall literally turn into a literal cat and after a full week in Hogwarts, Eliezarry would have learned to deal with it.

I guess it's meant to be a funny "look how dumb this is if you think about it too much" bit, but it comes across as too serious, like Yudkowsky's not making a joke, he actually can't understand why they fly around on brooms in these books. (he is making a joke, I just think the execution is poor)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I guess it's meant to be a funny "look how dumb this is if you think about it too much" bit, but it comes across as too serious, like Yudkowsky's not making a joke, he actually can't understand why they fly around on brooms in these books. (he is making a joke, I just think the execution is poor)

It's like the thing with the gold in the beginning of the book. Yes the books are not paired with reality but goddamn who gives a gently caress? It's a book about magic and wizards written for YA and under. No they are not consistent with how real world ideas work, but...I don't know I guess I just don't care about that and I cannot understand why someone would.
My issue with this being a joke is that Yud dedicates far too many sentences for these sort of criticisms to be funny. It's not like he just points this out and moves on, it feels way more mean-spirited with that.
He's not a bad writer, I will give him that, but he lacks the mirth and whimsy that the source material had, and these spergy digressions are just so drat joyless.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Wasn't there some mention of other flying devices like cauldrons and carpets in the books?
Yup, those exist; for some reasons one of the bits of the books that stuck we me for all these years was that there's a throwaway joke about a guy named Ali Bashir who smuggles flying carpets.
Leave it to Yud to ignore the whole folk tradition angle. Or, you know, the flying device masquerading as something inconspicous for when witch hunters come a-knocking. It's a recurring issue here, I think: Yud doesn't seem to get how willing suspension of disbelief works so he tries to hit the absurd bits without realizing why the absurd bits were there and everyone rolled with them in the first place.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 29, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, they use broomsticks because they're traditional, they're incognito, a stick is easily stored on-the-fly (no pun intended), it's intuitive to point, and with modern cushioning charms the problems and discomfort of actually sitting on them are irrelevant.

Mostly tradition, though. The wizarding world is obviously extremely traditional.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 29, 2015

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
The delivery is bad, but with brooms being hard enough to ride that they teach you to do it in school there's definitely some space to wonder why no one's cruising through the skies on an enchanted la-z-boy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Death Bot posted:

The delivery is bad, but with brooms being hard enough to ride that they teach you to do it in school there's definitely some space to wonder why no one's cruising through the skies on an enchanted la-z-boy

It is pretty much explicitly illegal to do so in Wizarding Britain. Other nations are implied to be looser about such things, though.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Jazerus posted:

It is pretty much explicitly illegal to do so in Wizarding Britain. Other nations are implied to be looser about such things, though.

It was mentioned in the books was that foreign wizards were being blocked from selling flying carpets in Britain by the Ministry, so the laws are definitely different across the world. It's implied in Quidditch Through the Ages that Brooms are only legal due to tradition, Quidditch's popularity, and the practical need for at least one alternative to apparating/floo powder/portkeys.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
If this was a good story there would have been a joke about this being the result of careful lobbying by the broom industry.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ideally with dissenting voices being swept under the table.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Flying carpets would be too obviously weird, perhaps? Or it's some form of protectionism.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dabir posted:

Flying carpets would be too obviously weird, perhaps? Or it's some form of protectionism.

Probably part protectionism, part cultural differences. The Ministry considers carpets muggle artifacts (making it illegal to bewitch them in Britain) but brooms could just as justifiably be on the list of disallowed items.

Barty Crouch Sr. mentions his grandfather having a carpet back before they were prohibited, so the law banning them probably got passed within the last 30-40 years.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Zonekeeper posted:

Barty Crouch Sr. mentions his grandfather having a carpet back before they were prohibited, so the law banning them probably got passed within the last 30-40 years.

Ever since Wizarding Iraq invaded Wizarding Kuwait, those trade embargoes have been a bitch to get around.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Pavlov posted:

If this was a good story there would have been a joke about this being the result of careful lobbying by the broom industry.

Yeah this was more of what I meant, Rowling did the right thing in not diving into this level of pedantry in a book for tweens but it's the kind of thing a smarter, funnier writer could have joked about effectively

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Five

quote:

It took a while for everyone to get a broomstick in front of them. Madam Hooch showed them how to mount and then walked around the field, correcting grips and stances. Apparently even among the few children who'd been allowed to fly at home, they hadn't been taught to do it correctly.

Madam Hooch surveyed the field of boys, and nodded. "Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard."

Harry swallowed hard, trying to quell the queasy feeling in his stomach.

"Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and then come straight back down by leaning forwards slightly. On my whistle - three - two -"

One of the brooms shot skyward, accompanied by a young boy's screams - of horror, not delight. The boy was spinning at an awful rate as he ascended, they only got glimpses of his white face -

As though in slow motion, Harry was leaping back off his own broomstick and scrabbling for his wand, though he didn't really know what he planned to do with it, he'd had exactly two sessions of Charms and the last one had been the Hover Charm but Harry had only been able to cast the spell successfully one time out of three and he certainly couldn't levitate whole people -

If there is any hidden power in me, let it reveal itself NOW!

"Come back, boy!" shouted Madam Hooch (which had to be the most unhelpful instruction imaginable for dealing with an out-of-control broomstick, from a flying instructor, and a fully automatic section of Harry's brain added Madam Hooch to his tally of fools).

And the boy was thrown off the broomstick.

He seemed to move very slowly through the air, at first.

"Wingardium Leviosa! " screamed Harry.

The spell failed. He could feel it fail.

I do like that Eliezer didn’t make Eliezarry an instant prodigy at magic.

quote:

There was a THUD and a distant cracking sound, and the boy lay facedown on the grass in a heap.

Harry sheathed his wand and raced forwards at full speed. He arrived at the boy's side at the same time as Madam Hooch, and Harry reached into his pouch and tried to recall oh god what was the name never mind he'd just try "Healer's Pack!" and it popped up into his hand and -

"Broken wrist," Madam Hooch said. "Calm down, boy, he just has a broken wrist!"

There was a sort of mental lurch as Harry's mind snapped out of Panic Mode.

The Emergency Healing Pack Plus lay open in front of him, and there was a syringe of liquid fire in Harry's hand, which would have kept the boy's brain oxygenated if he'd managed to snap his neck.

"Ah..." Harry said in a rather wavering sort of voice. His heart was pounding so loudly that he almost couldn't hear himself panting for breath. "Broken bone... right... Setting String?"

"That's for emergencies only," snapped Madam Hooch. "Put it away, he's fine." She leaned over the boy, offering him a hand. "Come on, boy, it's all right, up you get!"

For a moment after “THUD” and “distant cracking sound”, I really did think that the boy who fell down was dead or grievously maimed. I mean, this story has already had a ten-year boy casually talk about raping a ten-year old girl and its ten-year old protagonist fantasise about breaking the world economy by arbitraging wizard-gold vs Muggle-gold exchange rates and talk about selling his classmates’ organs for money to hire assassins.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I do like that in this bit, Harry's belief that he knows better than all the adults around him is shown to be completely false and he's treated like the ignorant child that he is. Pity it so often goes the other way.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Another example of a senior teacher - in this case, Madam Hooch - being infinitely more experienced than Harry and not freaking out about everything, presumably because this happens every year and she instantly knows the difference between a fall that will seriously injure someone and one that will just leave them with a broken wrist, a sense of humiliation, and perhaps a touch more respect for the tools in the future. All in all, an inoffensive segment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That said, Madam Hooch should really get on top of those bone-healing charms, but that one's on JK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I don't think that Harry's actually been good at anything, outside of being kind of a bully (who feels bad! Sometimes!) and saying a whole bunch of words at people until they give in to him. It actually is kind of a nice change from Harry in the books, to a point.