Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

That option has always been in the .ini file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Seashell Salesman posted:

That reminds me I really wish there was an option to turn the compass off. I don't like seeing where enemies are magically and, like screencheating in a splitscreen game, it's impossible to stop yourself from doing it :(

You mean don't get the GPS perk?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cheap Shot posted:

ED-E was the best companion. Spotter perk for my snipe'n. Hovered after me quietly beep booping. Hail of laser fire to my enemies. Theme jingle for me when I charged into battle. Could somehow carry tons of poo poo. Looked really cool. Nothing not to like.

ED-E was way better than the stupid glass skull dog, it's true. Plus he would never run up and block your shots.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I hated companions and Skyrim's dungeon design, because every dungeon has dumb narrow paths and I can't phase through my buddies.

It wasn't a huge issue or gamebreaking, but damnit it was tedious.
Skyrim companions in a nutshell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xanUfvBeGE

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

jfood posted:

That option has always been in the .ini file

I never knew about this if it's a thing. I mean, I've disabled it in FO3 and FNV with mods before but not counting that as an option.

Crabtree posted:

If I can avoid it by not taking a perk then that works fine.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The only two companions in Skyrim I gave more than two shits about were the priest in Dawnstar for the Daedric quest there, and the vampire in Dawnguard. Coincidentally, they're both a couple of the rarest companion NPCs that aren't just Race/Job actor. I vastly preferred the ones in NV and it's DLCs though, even Lily the nightkin had more character development than Lydia.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CHA having perks for going solo is interesting. I kinda like it, actually, gives you tactical flexibility. More friends, more benefits, no friends, different benefits?

If this game takes at least ONE page from New Vegas I hope it's Companion Perks and their Loyalty Quests. Here's hoping.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I'm never one to poo poo needlessly on FO3 because I really liked it, and feel it did a few things better than NV did. I want to say though, that I don't remember a single companion from FO3.. I'm searching my brain and they were all so bland and forgettable that there's nothing in my memory. NV had quite a few good ones. Much better characters all around.

Edit: Oh right Fawkes. I remember 1 now.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I never knew about this if it's a thing. I mean, I've disabled it in FO3 and FNV with mods before but not counting that as an option.

It's showquestmarkers=1 or something like that, just change it to 0 and they go away

Good luck following the detailed journal!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Speedball posted:

CHA having perks for going solo is interesting. I kinda like it, actually, gives you tactical flexibility. More friends, more benefits, no friends, different benefits?

If this game takes at least ONE page from New Vegas I hope it's Companion Perks and their Loyalty Quests. Here's hoping.

Preston Garvey is tied to the Minute Men and Piper's tied to Public Occurrences in Diamond City, so there's a good chance that if they don't have specific companion quests outside of getting their romance up they'll have faction specific missions or quest chains to give.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

jfood posted:

It's showquestmarkers=1 or something like that, just change it to 0 and they go away

Good luck following the detailed journal!

I just look at the map if I can't find what I'm looking for. I don't see why I'd need a constant beacon to orient myself just wandering around outside in a relatively small, flat landscape.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Cheap Shot posted:

I'm never one to poo poo needlessly on FO3 because I really liked it, and feel it did a few things better than NV did. I want to say though, that I don't remember a single companion from FO3.. I'm searching my brain and they were all so bland and forgettable that there's nothing in my memory. NV had quite a few good ones. Much better characters all around.

The wiki says there were eight, including the dog. I sure couldn't name them without a list, but it doesn't help that most of them were also karma-locked, so if you weren't playing a Sith Lord, you couldn't get the slave or the ex-raider, and if you didn't intentionally kill enough innocents, you couldn't get Butch or the robot.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

First NV character was high CHA and INT and I never killed anyone myself. If battles must be had, Boone and ED-E took care of them.
Being able to talk down the Legion boss (not Ceaser) was a great feeling.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

Sergeant Rl-3 owns bones, the lack of patriotic slogans during battle is missed in NV. And i bet you remember Butch.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So I'm working on a thing for Halloween

How the hell can I seal spackle to keep it from chipping? Will a few layers of paint and clear coat be good enough?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Sergeant Rl-3 owns bones, the lack of patriotic slogans during battle is missed in NV. And i bet you remember Butch.

I am frankly shocked none of you remember Charon. Dude was loving badass, just slap some power armor on him and he basically never died. Hell, his shotgun was even really good so you didn't need to bother giving him a loaner weapon.

Let's see how well I can do on the rest from memory . . . Clover the slave, Jericho the rear end in a top hat from Megaton, Fawkes, the Sergeant and Butch obviously. Dogmeat . . . Paladin Starr, I think it was? It was a black woman with a flat top in the Brotherhood, either way.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watch out for those Dell model lazer rifles. They use such poo poo components that it's likely to melt in your hands after a few months.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

That reminds me I really wish there was an option to turn the compass off. I don't like seeing where enemies are magically and, like screencheating in a splitscreen game, it's impossible to stop yourself from doing it :(

Take perception 1?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fallout 3 had great setpieces and good visual impact when you hit the wasteland. I also remember there was one room that was basically, "Hey, guys, we made a physics engine!" with a Rube Goldberg booby trap in it. I kinda liked that.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Crabtree posted:

I don't think it's a gps perk. I understand it to be something like the clairvoyance spell in Skyrim, showing an exact route instead of just a compass marker.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

LornMarkus posted:

I am frankly shocked none of you remember Charon. Dude was loving badass, just slap some power armor on him and he basically never died. Hell, his shotgun was even really good so you didn't need to bother giving him a loaner weapon.

Let's see how well I can do on the rest from memory . . . Clover the slave, Jericho the rear end in a top hat from Megaton, Fawkes, the Sergeant and Butch obviously. Dogmeat . . . Paladin Starr, I think it was? It was a black woman with a flat top in the Brotherhood, either way.

You got it. Though Starr is just really drat tan. Charon does own, but aside from when you first get him, he's pretty uninteresting and equates to any other follower.

Speedball posted:

Fallout 3 had great setpieces and good visual impact when you hit the wasteland. I also remember there was one room that was basically, "Hey, guys, we made a physics engine!" with a Rube Goldberg booby trap in it. I kinda liked that.

Playing through broken steel recently i was thinking "man this is a good set piece, not to interesting though" the whole time

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Nasgate posted:

You got it. Though Starr is just really drat tan. Charon does own, but aside from when you first get him, he's pretty uninteresting and equates to any other follower.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree that New Vegas did better on making the companions interesting throughout. Plus, to my recollection it never made them act out of character to facilitate a dumbass ending either. Seriously, if there's one thing I'm still pretty mad at 3 for, it's the final scene prior to Broken Steel where Charon, Sergeant and Fawkes will all refuse to go into the chamber for you despite all being immune to radiation. Clover too, though I never used her so I have no idea if she did everything you told her to or if she had a will of her own.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Rumor has it that the lady killer/black widow perk has four ranks. First rank effects the opposite sex, second rank the same sex, third rank robots, fourth rank let's you romance Dogmeat.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 29, 2015

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Geoff Zahn posted:

How the hell can I seal spackle to keep it from chipping? Will a few layers of paint and clear coat be good enough?

I can't help you but holy poo poo this is awesome!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Speedball posted:

And yet it triggered correctly less then 50% of the time, due to Gamebryo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Yaos posted:

Rumor has it that the lady killer/black widow perk has four ranks. First rank effects the opposite sex, second rank the same sex, third rank robots, fourth rank let's you romance Dogmeat.

Great. Yet another 4 perk points absolutely required for every play through.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

counterfeitsaint posted:

Great. Yet another 4 perk points absolutely required for every play through.

:catstare:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

According to the wiki, the four perks of Lady Killer/Man Hunter give you a bonus to persuasion at one level, intimidation at the second level, and deception at the third.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Deception sounds really vague or these herren und damen are very perceptive of liars. On the other hand, it could double as Speech so you have an alternative.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I suppose it's the difference between being able to reason with someone who's stubborn and the ability to completely smokescreen someone with made-up bullshit.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Eschatos posted:

Take perception 1?

This would be a rather extreme measure to disable the compass!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Geoff Zahn posted:

You could get a casting resin and paint that on in thin layers. It dries rock hard, and it should absorb somewhat into the spackle to make a tough surface. If you go that route, mix up small batches, and paint on very thin successive layers. The resin can get very hot as it catalyzes, and you don't want to burn yourself or weaken the gun with too much heat.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I'm always caught off guard when people are surprised someone would use paid leave to play a new videogame. We aren't living in the 80's, games are the most popular form of entertainment now. People don't bat an eye when you request off to go see a new movie, attend a sports game, or even to hang out at the beach and read yet they get all giggly when mention taking a few days off to hang out and relax at home playing videogames. I blame babyboomers.

I know you are probably just speaking in general, but fwiw my supervisor was totally cool with it to begin with. Now if I had called out on the day of, to play it, that may have pissed him off. Also, I never went to college or acquired any real skills, so my job is basically an entry level manufacturing job, but for what it is they actually seem pretty cool about things. Although that's probably because they require you to work about 55-60 hours a week on average, and no worker will put up with any kind of real bullshit when you have to work that much.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

GuyUpNorth posted:

Deception sounds really vague or these herren und damen are very perceptive of liars. On the other hand, it could double as Speech so you have an alternative.

Deception to Todd Howard is most likely nicking someone's mars bar at the cafeteria when they're not looking (which he probably does a lot)

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Yaos posted:

Which one lets me marry a Super Mutant?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also, do you guys think there will be perks for shotguns in Fallout 4? Not sure how they would class them. I've been playing New Vegas and I really love the And Stay Back perk that gives a random chance to knock enemies down when you shoot them with a shotgun. It would probably be good to have with the dog, because if I'm remembering right, doesn't he have some sort of ability to tear out throats of enemies on the ground? Either way, right now Riot Shotgun is probably my favorite gun in New Vegas, so I hope they are still good in FO4.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

Best companion in F3 was Sydney. She only joins you a couple times, and only for a short while, but then afterwards she becomes a merchant and has another quest tied to her. More companions should be done in that manner imo.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Also, do you guys think there will be perks for shotguns in Fallout 4? Not sure how they would class them. I've been playing New Vegas and I really love the And Stay Back perk that gives a random chance to knock enemies down when you shoot them with a shotgun. It would probably be good to have with the dog, because if I'm remembering right, doesn't he have some sort of ability to tear out throats of enemies on the ground? Either way, right now Riot Shotgun is probably my favorite gun in New Vegas, so I hope they are still good in FO4.

Shotguns are supposedly covered by Rifleman, so if the weapontype perks are good you'll probably see that somewhere in the tree, and if they aren't it'll just provide the 20% boost to damage per rank that we know it does, and nothing else.

Also yeah, the Dog can do some cool poo poo. Attack Dog is one of the ones that's actually confirmed, so check it out on the wiki if you want.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Shotgun surgeon is the best fallout medical perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It's also possible it might be a magazine perk.

• Locked thread