Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'll be lucky to get a test drive in this week if it doesn't happen tomorrow. Oh well, easy come easy go I suppose. I won't be too upset if I miss out on it, but what I AM upset about is that Civic SI with 90,000km that went for $3500 at the MA auction on the 15th! FUUUUCK! So even if I miss out on this GTP it just means I'll have more spending money for the next MA auction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

jonathan posted:

I also just finished insulating and drywalling my garage. Since I used to be a sparky I loving hate drywall so i hired on a guy @ 25/hr to help. He did all the measuring and cuts. I don't have an attic vent. Need to install one still, and I have my junction boxes but no lights wired in yet. I'll likely do LED's also.

Anyone know what I'm going to need to keep it heated in there to +4 or so ? It's 18x24' with 8' ceiling. R12 insulation and poly, 1/2" drywall. Detached structure.

I've had good luck with a portable propane heater to get things warm and then a 220v electric heater chugging away to maintain the warmth.

While the propane is working you warm your hands and plan your attack.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I tried to buy an overheating Phase 1 EJ25 Outback earlier this summer. As I'm going out the door to meet the dude with the toolkit prepared I get an email from him saying the neighbor kid wants it as a first car and he's going to give him time to get the money together.

Two weeks later he emails me again asking if I still want it because the neighbor kid couldn't come up with $800, let alone the work to re-gasket the car and put it back on the road. Oddly enough I no longer wanted it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My honor system works on a 1 day grace period for getting payments. If you can't come up with the cash by tomorrow, it goes to the next nutjob in line. If it's above a couple hundred I ask for a deposit to hold it.

So far it's been successful. If I'm doing a very literal "first drooling idiot who can put a stack of bills in my hand gets the thing" then I just inform all potential buyers of that and they're usually ok with that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I loving hate selling/buying poo poo on kijiji.

I spent three months listing my old piano at my parents place. Had every loving nutjob come out of the woodwork for a cheap as gently caress piano, look at it for a full hour than comment that "the sound isn't what I'm looking for", and then had a woman drive down from loving Banff, pressed one key and bought it on the spot for asking price.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 26, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I heard from a friend of mine who's selling a car that there's someone locally who just goes around test driving Kijiji cars to do their errands (grocery runs, appointments, etc). After his experience with the guy, he talked with some other friends and it looks like he does it pretty regularly.

I guess that's one way to get around without owning your own car?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's a dick move. How does he get to location for the test drive though? Are there enough cars for sale in his neighbourhood that this is a viable plan?

Kijiji users are loving weird. Ourselves included.

Lowballer assholes, boomer cunts with a rusty as gently caress slant six duster AH KNOW WHUT AH GOT BARN FIND DOORS MISSING, meth heads looking for their next score, consignment robo callers, and the odd sweet sweet real human being who advertised faithfully or is genuinely interested in your lovely old pickup truck.

Always use the deposit system, buying or selling. Works great, better than dibs any day.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Slung Blade posted:

That's a dick move. How does he get to location for the test drive though? Are there enough cars for sale in his neighbourhood that this is a viable plan?

Kijiji users are loving weird. Ourselves included.

My understanding is that it's a combination of being close enough to his neighborhood, and asking sellers to meet somewhere like a Tim's parking lot, then going for a test drive (with them if they insist, which who wouldn't) and stopping wherever he needs to get his business done and saying he just needs to run in for a minute.

I guess it works because most sellers are just a little confused as to what's happening? I'd probably get duped the first time too if I hadn't heard of it, just because of the sheer wtf factor.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I've had pretty good experiences buying and selling on kijiji so far. Just sold my Forester to the second person to come take a look at it, even after telling him the first person's PPI had found an oil leak and the head gaskets we're going to need to get done. And I still got exactly what I wanted out of it, which was probably $1500 more than actual market value.

Just reinforces my rule of "ask for 150% of what you want to get, and barter down". Or hope that you get a moron who doesn't know what it's worth and you come out way ahead.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've done pretty well buying/selling on kijiji, but i don't take any poo poo from anybody and generally know about what i'm buying/selling.

I sold my macbook for full asking price, and bought a box and wheels for my pickup basically half price because of how they were listed. The wheels were listed as "super duty rims" so anybody searching f250, f350, or superduty wouldn't have seen them. the box was listed as damaged. and it ended up being basically cosmetic in an area you don't really see.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DrakeriderCa posted:

Just reinforces my rule of "ask for 150% of what you want to get, and barter down". Or hope that you get a moron who doesn't know what it's worth and you come out way ahead.

That's generally what I've done and its always been a hassle, but then again I keep doing it since I've got no real reason to sell the stuff so may as well wait for a sucker. My issue is people have ridiculous expectations for cheap poo poo. I honestly had a woman look at my piano and tell me she wanted something with a deeper sound. I really wanted to ask her what the gently caress she expected from a $900 piano.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've been pretty lucky in general with Kijiji for both buying and selling.

My technique to weed out the freaks is to only communicate through a throw-away email I keep just for kijiji at first, and if the guy seems serious/legit/normal then I will give my cell to discuss, deal or set up a meeting. If I can tell the person is going to be a pain in the rear end I either won't reply at all or just say sorry it's gone.

I only list stuff that I know I want to get rid of, so I make it a price that I know will (or should) move it. I just sold a little telescope that sat on kijiji for over a week (joy of a small city), but a guy just fired me an email late Saturday asking about it, met yesterday and paid my asking price. I usually price in about 20% for haggling room.

Biggest issue I ever had was one of the first things I ever tried to sell on kijiji. It was a big 10" telescope that I was almost giving away.. bought for something like $1200 and asking $450 or something. Some guy emailed me and asked if I still had it, to which I replied I did, and he proceeded to offer me half of what I was asking which was crazy. When I said no and was firm on the price (I wouldn't have been if that wasn't his opening) he then proceeded to tell me how one was more in line with his offer on craigslist in Seattle. I told him to go to Seattle and buy it. So then he started spamming me. After I stopped replying he started sending out queries from other throw-away email addresses (guy had a very distinctive use of language, you could tell he was ESL).

In general though, auto transactions are sure nice though compared to the old auto-trader days though.You seemed to always get calls from 3rd party advertisers posing as buyers to get you to call them back which really pissed me off.

I knew a couple guys that would do the test-drive thing but with new cars back in the day before they always went with you. I would never do it personally, but I'd somehow feel better using a dealer than some poor schmuck.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I was looking at another SUV before the Lincoln, an it seemed like a good fit. I thought the price was a bit high at $19,500 but I'd bring it up with the seller after a test drive. When I emailed him he seemed pretty motivated so I thought it was going to work out well.

Then the day before I'm supposed to take a look at it, he emails me and says that he's signed with a third party advertiser, and they've set the price at $22,500 :psyduck: and attached a link to the new ad. Which was almost the exact same as his old one but with some greasy "used car salesman" language added and the contact information changed to the ad company.

I told him I wasn't interested at all at that price, and I thought a more fair price was actually around $18,000. He was really apologetic and I felt bad for him because I got the feeling that he was probably a bit of a neurotic guy in the first place, and probably in a tight financial spot. This greasy company probably promised him the moon and that their fancy advertising would get him a higher price that would cover the costs of their "service". He said if there wasn't any interest in a few weeks, he'd talk to the ad company to see if they could reduce the price. :smith: They probably have a shady contract saying that he can't make outside deals or reduce the price without their permission. Sad to see someone get sucked into their scam.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mechanic at my shop has a Lincoln LS v8 with something like 103,000km on it. Looks to be in good shape for $4000.

I'd buy it but trying to scrounge $$$ for my second house purchase :(

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

jonathan posted:

Mechanic at my shop has a Lincoln LS v8 with something like 103,000km on it. Looks to be in good shape for $4000.

I'd buy it but trying to scrounge $$$ for my second house purchase :(

Is it one of these?

http://m.caranddriver.com/news/mclaren-performance-lincoln-ls-auto-shows

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have always liked the LS. Did they make them with a stick?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

I have always liked the LS. Did they make them with a stick?

Not the V8s, and the V6 was only like 200hp so what's the point.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Nothing a shift kit and/or manual valve body conversion can't fix. LS's with the V8's are an ebay turbo kit and megasquirt away from true sleeper status.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

As posted in 14"'s thread, it'll be cheaper if we get a bulk order in for the Black Thumb toques. Who's in for one. Slung Blade, SSW, myself. Who else?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm definitely in.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Link? I'm intrigued

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575865&pagenumber=144&perpage=40#post451978720

If I wore a toque I'd consider it. But I don't so no thanks from down south.

Powershift posted:

Not the V8s, and the V6 was only like 200hp so what's the point.

That's too bad, a stick V8 sounds like it would be fun.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Badass. Sign me up for one.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm in like a dirty shirt.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Cool, so the list as of right now:

Slung Blade
Seat Safety Switch
1500quidporsche
DrakeriderCa
MrChips
McTinkerson

I'll close registration at midnight tomorrow, then PM 14" and pay for it all at once.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1967-datsun-roadster-with-a-ca18-with-sr20-turbo/1113663184?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

This is a 1967 Datsun 1600 Roadster
THE RARE 65 67 Short Windshield Car
This car has all the loook of a factory Datsun BUT she is a sleeper
Cars has approx 220 HP not the 96 factory
She has a CA18 DET engine
with a Upgraded SR20 Turbo and intercooler
UPGRADED 5 speed manual trans

Listen there is HUGE money in this car
has a $4000 AEM Computer custom engine cradel etc...
She is a runing car ! one of 1
soft top full cover and half cover come with the car ...
I Sent the car to Calgary for a buyer that did not work so i have the car at my friends for a few days This is a very rare car very fast and fun . she needs some things like any 1967 datsun should but to upgrade a roadster like this would cost you 10G if you had the car already
the turbo needs a new seal.

The "sent the car to Calgary and didn't work out" sounds a little :raise: but drat, that could be a fun car.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
poo poo yes

This week's reason I desperately wish I had $3k of fun money to burn:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/strathcona-county/82-z28-camaro-need-gone-1500-bucks-obo/1108637941

+

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/180795477566?_mwBanner=1

+ megasquirt

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 27, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Wanting to compete in the $2016 Grassroots Motorsports Challenge?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/who-won-the-grassroots-motorsports-2015-challenge/

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

E: ^^^ holy poo poo, that 'justang' thing looks hilarious

McTinkerson posted:

Slung Blade
Seat Safety Switch
1500quidporsche
DrakeriderCa
MrChips
McTinkerson

I'll close registration at midnight tomorrow, then PM 14" and pay for it all at once.

Fantastic man, let us know what our share of the cost is, I'll PayPal or interac transfer it to you.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 28, 2015

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

McTinkerson posted:

Slung Blade
Seat Safety Switch
1500quidporsche
DrakeriderCa
MrChips
McTinkerson

I'm not in alberta but I would like to jump on this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Totally off topic, but any of you guys have any experience or knowledge of drywall trades, or more specifically spraying a ceiling?

Have a bit of an unfortunate scenario that's happened and I need to put a rough price tag on something for negotiation purposes.

A relative is building their home and it looks like the builder royally screwed up. The contract was written for a knockdown ceiling throughout (one of the few things the owner was specifically insistent on and actually got it written in the contract) and the ceiling guys sprayed a standard splatter coat ceiling instead. I am pretty sure the builder screwed up in the communication with the subtrades as communication is not his strong suit. It's a relatively large home. About 1800 sq/ft on each of 2 levels, with vaulted ceilings on the main floor... so about 3500-3600 sq/ft of ceiling.

Anyone have the foggiest clue as to how much would it cost to hire a a ceiling sprayer to remove the freshly laid and finished 3600 sq/ft of splatter coat and replace with a knockdown? I'm thinking it must be in the thousands but I really have no idea, I am just guessing.

The builder obviously does not want to do this (the walls are already sealed for paint and the cost would be even more horrific with scheduling) but he is offering a $600 credit due to the screw up for the homeowner to live with it... which to me sounds comically low considering he would be within his rights to force him to change it. Nobody wants to be a dick but I would like some intel for just negotiation purposes.

I'm thinking $600 might be the cost difference between a splatter and a knockdown, but that's even just a guess. Anyone have an educated guess?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I am by no means in the drywall business but from experience repairing a splatter coat ceiling you pretty much need to shave down the entire ceiling and start over, or take down the drywall and tape and mud new stuff. It's an amazingly labour intensive process either way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's sort of what I was thinking, it would be a ridiculously labor intensive (and messy) job.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Can't give you a price but my grandfather was a drywaller. Like 90% of the time their prime objective is not holding other trades up which is why he's probably hesitant to get them back in there. I'd try getting some quotes from other guys to fix it, they're likely to get some prices back that indicate they really don't want to do that kind of job that you can show the current contractor. Redoing a ceiling would be a mess.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Black Thumbs Toques ordered. After the exchange rate :canada: and shipping it came out to $24.75 for each. Also, TWSS you were added to the list.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can someone explain what these black thumbs are ? I've been living in the bush all week.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

jonathan posted:

Can someone explain what these black thumbs are ? I've been living in the bush all week.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575865&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=144#post451978720

I ordered one extra just in case btw...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

It's a Mad Max thing I think.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Black Thumbs Toques ordered. After the exchange rate :canada: and shipping it came out to $24.75 for each. Also, TWSS you were added to the list.

Rad, how would you like payment? (And what email/PayPal should we send it to)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Totally off topic, but any of you guys have any experience or knowledge of drywall trades, or more specifically spraying a ceiling?

Have a bit of an unfortunate scenario that's happened and I need to put a rough price tag on something for negotiation purposes.

A relative is building their home and it looks like the builder royally screwed up. The contract was written for a knockdown ceiling throughout (one of the few things the owner was specifically insistent on and actually got it written in the contract) and the ceiling guys sprayed a standard splatter coat ceiling instead. I am pretty sure the builder screwed up in the communication with the subtrades as communication is not his strong suit. It's a relatively large home. About 1800 sq/ft on each of 2 levels, with vaulted ceilings on the main floor... so about 3500-3600 sq/ft of ceiling.

Anyone have the foggiest clue as to how much would it cost to hire a a ceiling sprayer to remove the freshly laid and finished 3600 sq/ft of splatter coat and replace with a knockdown? I'm thinking it must be in the thousands but I really have no idea, I am just guessing.

The builder obviously does not want to do this (the walls are already sealed for paint and the cost would be even more horrific with scheduling) but he is offering a $600 credit due to the screw up for the homeowner to live with it... which to me sounds comically low considering he would be within his rights to force him to change it. Nobody wants to be a dick but I would like some intel for just negotiation purposes.

I'm thinking $600 might be the cost difference between a splatter and a knockdown, but that's even just a guess. Anyone have an educated guess?

Why knockdown? I mean.....it's nearly as shite as popcorn. But at this point the only way to make it truly correct is to re-rock it and put the coating you really want on (which is flat - popcorn and knockdown are only a thing for cheapness in order to cover lovely taping jobs because ceilings suck to tape and mud).