Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

The first method is only bad if you're one of the people who waits till the last possible microsecond to get over.

But you should be doing that to fully use both lanes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

I tried :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just ride down the middle of both lanes and prevents anyone from using the still available lane :smug:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Javid posted:

The first method is only bad if you're one of the people who waits till the last possible microsecond to get over.

We're taught to do that in drivers ed, at least when the traffic is slow-moving. Otherwise, the lanes cannot merge evenly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Entropist posted:

We're taught to do that in drivers ed, at least when the traffic is slow-moving. Otherwise, the lanes cannot merge evenly.

North Americans don't know zipper merging, we're exceptional.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Ah, even in its most basic form, collective benefits are not recognized over individual interests... how typical :v:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cicero posted:

The Netherlands has a bike mode share of 27%. The US has a bike mode share of 0.6%. The Dutch bike 45 times as often as Americans. I think it's pretty obvious who's "doing it wrong".
An overwhelming majority of Americans would also agree that it's obvious who's doing it wrong.

Entropist posted:

Ah, even in its most basic form, collective benefits are not recognized over individual interests... how typical :v:
-Campaign platform of one of two major parties in the US.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

North Americans don't know zipper merging, we're exceptional.

You sound like you've never been to the northeast. It's pretty common with all the things like entrances to 80 year old tunnels that are primary routes and the like.

(incidentally, zipper merging was on the driver's license test the year I took it)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lobsterpillar posted:

NZ has recently had to make a big change to its bike boxes design, changing it from 2m to 4m - because (surprise surprise) a truck killed a cyclist because it couldn't see the cyclist in the 2m bike box in front of it. People still drive right up to the edge of the intersection and block the bike boxes so I really don't see the use. Hook turn boxes have appeared on some newer intersections but as a cyclist I'm skeptical about going that far into the intersection.

Also, check out this bicycle lane. What happened here is someone decided 'The bigger the cycle lane the better right?'. Its just big enough for a car to fit into it so of course they do.

The standard in the Netherlands (and now in the City of Vancouver) is to make bike lanes at least 1.8m wide, so as to allow room for bikes to pass each other. The issue with that design is inadequate separation from traffic (and that the lane runs through the door zone further back). I'd say the lane itself is still too narrow.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Varance posted:

Try 250 feet. The angle throws you off. And yeah, our lanes are stupid big in Florida, usually 11-12 feet wide.

That pic is the best. The land use is what, 30% road, 40% parking lot, and about 10% actual buildings?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That pic is the best. The land use is what, 30% road, 40% parking lot, and about 10% actual buildings?

suburban sprawl America :patriot:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I haven't shown you guys the updated wide view. It's actually worse now.

Repeat this images for every exit ramp off of I-75 for 50 miles in each direction. This development pattern is the direct result of how impact fees are calculated in Florida - Interstates are not part of the equation, so you only have to pay to make sure roads leading to the interstate have capacity. What a bargain! I'm sure Uncle Sam will pick up the tab...

FDOT is ramming express lanes down our throats before the Highway Trust Fund collapses, knowing that Florida's interstates will be completely inadequate within 10 years if the impact fee formula doesn't change. This is the same area, but with planned express, local and collector lanes:

Meanwhile, up the road to the north, the latest and greatest is under construction:

Drive the other way, and you'll find more of the same:

Pick your flavor of suburbia, as long as it's some variety of vanilla.

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 28, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

GWBBQ posted:

An overwhelming majority of Americans would also agree that it's obvious who's doing it wrong.
Yeah, true. But presumably when engineers are designing bike infrastructure, the implicit mandate is "make this good enough so that people actually bike", right? Right??

:smithicide:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

"Make it look like we're making a real effort, but keep it cheap and don't let it interfere with automobile traffic too much because voters will hate that."

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Varance posted:

Try 250 feet. The angle throws you off. And yeah, our lanes are stupid big in Florida, usually 11-12 feet wide.

I love what's happening in the topleft. I don't know what's caused it but people preferred parking on the grass rather than park at a neighboring store and then cross the street. I can't really blame them with roads that wide of course

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Fragrag posted:

I love what's happening in the topleft. I don't know what's caused it but people preferred parking on the grass rather than park at a neighboring store and then cross the street. I can't really blame them with roads that wide of course

It's probably a car dealership.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I was really taken aback by the size of the roads in Florida. Areas are just huge grids of roads like that, never ending in every direction, yet super low population and business density.

I'd love to see a state by state or county by county map showing the percent of the local GDP or what ever spent on roads/highways. The whole 90% paved area 10% functional tax paying business seems financially impossible to maintain in the long run.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Cichlidae posted:

It's probably a car dealership.

That would make more sense yeah :doh:

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
It is scary how easy it gets to pick out certain land uses and particular types of businesses after you spend enoughtoo much of your life staring at aerials.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

It is scary how easy it gets to pick out certain land uses and particular types of businesses after you spend enoughtoo much of your life staring at aerials.

It's also pretty scary how certain land uses an lead to flooding and/or overloading of the stormwater network. Roads and paved parking lots are one of the worst for this (since the water just runs right off and can't soak in, it all gets to the stormwater pipes /rivers much quicker during a rainstorm and you get a massive peak)

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lobsterpillar posted:

It's also pretty scary how certain land uses an lead to flooding and/or overloading of the stormwater network. Roads and paved parking lots are one of the worst for this (since the water just runs right off and can't soak in, it all gets to the stormwater pipes /rivers much quicker during a rainstorm and you get a massive peak)

We built a bypass canal system to deal with that one. It's similar to the LA River aqueduct, but actually has water in it! Plus, lots of Dragon Boat race practice, year round.

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 29, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We had some a big rear end rain event last year that flooded a new development's detention basin and closed some roads and generally got water everywhere. It was a mess and now there's public pushback to stop the development from expanding because it obviously is causing floods and it's badly designed and everything is terrible.

Trying to explain what a 1000 year flood is to the public is actually hard

4.5 inches in 2 hours :eyepop:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ladies. :smuggo:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We had some a big rear end rain event last year that flooded a new development's detention basin and closed some roads and generally got water everywhere. It was a mess and now there's public pushback to stop the development from expanding because it obviously is causing floods and it's badly designed and everything is terrible.

Trying to explain what a 1000 year flood is to the public is actually hard

To be fair thanks to climate change (which is in a large way influenced by the car-centric built form we've created) a lot of these 1000 year rainstorms are going to become 100 year rainstorms and so on. It's a nice cycle we got going on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

To be fair thanks to climate change (which is in a large way influenced by the car-centric built form we've created) a lot of these 1000 year rainstorms are going to become 100 year rainstorms and so on. It's a nice cycle we got going on.

I can't imagine how Miami/Florida is handling their impending death.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Florida will solve its self. Climate change has its pluses.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Cities: Skylines is $15 on Steam.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We already have water taxis in Tampa. Just means new business.

Edit: Also, Uberschiff.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 30, 2015

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Cichlidae posted:

Aw, thank you :)

Cichlidae you could really start considering writing a book at this point. Have you ever published?

I think I said it once a year or two ago, but thanks for a wonderful thread from me too.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Michael Scott posted:

Cichlidae you could really start considering writing a book at this point. Have you ever published?

I think I said it once a year or two ago, but thanks for a wonderful thread from me too.

I know traffic engineering can be really interesting and funny, but I just don't think I have the attention span to put together a book. This thread has been going for what, six years? I've made a lot of content for it, but trying to assemble that all into one coherent piece is, I believe, beyond my capabilities.

I appreciate the sentiment, though!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Here's another local clusterfuck I'd like to submit for discussion:

I have no idea what time or day they found these streets so empty, it's usually packed solid from dawn to dusk.

6th street on the left is one-way south, and 7th is one-way north. M street is a two-way, all three are big arterials. A huge amount of people going up 7th turn left onto M, and the light at 6th & M is long, so traffic in the one westbound lane will back up to 7th every single time. When that happens, somebody always just pulls into the intersection at an angle behind the last car, and blocks the entire left lane as well as the eastbound lane of M street, until the light on 6th turns and the backup clears. How do you even unfuck this without just making it a no-left intersection and moving the same issue up to the next block? I'd like to see them post something to the effect of "if M is full you must clear the intersection" and enforce it with an iron fist for a month to dissuade people. A few people being stuck turning at the next one seems better than making everybody do it.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Javid posted:

Here's another local clusterfuck I'd like to submit for discussion:

I have no idea what time or day they found these streets so empty, it's usually packed solid from dawn to dusk.

6th street on the left is one-way south, and 7th is one-way north. M street is a two-way, all three are big arterials. A huge amount of people going up 7th turn left onto M, and the light at 6th & M is long, so traffic in the one westbound lane will back up to 7th every single time. When that happens, somebody always just pulls into the intersection at an angle behind the last car, and blocks the entire left lane as well as the eastbound lane of M street, until the light on 6th turns and the backup clears. How do you even unfuck this without just making it a no-left intersection and moving the same issue up to the next block? I'd like to see them post something to the effect of "if M is full you must clear the intersection" and enforce it with an iron fist for a month to dissuade people. A few people being stuck turning at the next one seems better than making everybody do it.

adjust the traffic light timing so that the intersections are signaled together?

mark off the intersections and put up a set of these?

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 31, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'd like to bring up something from a newspaper article I read the other day.

It was about the concept of rush hour lanes, which are common on busy stretches of Dutch highways. They are basically wide hard shoulders with some extra lines making clear what's going on, and electronic signs that tell drives whether the lane is open or not. During quiet hours, it isn't and it acts like any hard shoulder. During rush hour it opens up and people can drive there, giving them one extra lane in order to reduce traffic jams.

The article said there were some issues with the traffic control center not having enough people to keep an eye on all electronic signs, so that rush hour lanes were open during quiet times. I was wondering if that was actually a problem. Apparently, if that additional rightmost lane is open during quiet hours, a lot of people won't use it because they don't consider it a 'real lane', which means that slow drivers are on what's now become the second lane. Faster drivers get real annoyed by the fact that the slower drivers don't go all the way to the right, and might try dangerous and illegal stuff like overtaking on the right. So it's dangerous and outside of rush hour, the lane should be closed.

I think the article also said that the lanes are opened when there's more than (IIRC) 1350 cars per lane per hour on the road.

Do these rush hour lanes exist where you live and what do you think about the concept?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't the shoulders provide some sort of important safety feature on a big highway? Why not either make it a lane or not permanently?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do these rush hour lanes exist where you live and what do you think about the concept?

Certain sections of I-93 and route 128 in Massachusetts allow travel on the shoulder during certain times of the day. It's really dumb in terms of safety because there's no margin for error on ramps. There are emergency pull off sections but god forbid you break down and you're not near one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I-66 outside the capital beltway, outside DC, uses the shoulder for traveling the peak direction during rush hour, because actually expanding the road's width at this point is both impractical and undesired anyway:

The ramp issue is solved by having a second lane come out of the shoulder to its right for exits on that stretch - see that reddish pavement? That's the shoulder lane that can only be used during rush hour. Incidentally in this stretch during rush hour, the leftmost lane is HOV 2+ only.

At points, the shoulder lane becomes a regular unrestricted lane and has a shoulder next to it, but it then soon resumes the shoulder lane rush-hours-only duty, a good example is here:

You'll also notice at this point that the leftmost lane has double white lines, indicating it can't be exited for a bit, regardless of whether HOV restrictions are in effect or not. And then once it reaches the beltway it does something rather radical:

During morning rush hour the entire remaining length of the freeway in that direction is HOV 2+ and motorcycles only, all single car drivers must exit before it and take an alternate route (unless they're only going so far as the exit to the road to a big airport in the area). It's like that for a full 2 and a half hours during the height of rush hour, and does the same in the opposite direction for the afternoon rush.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Dang, a HOV barrier, never heard of that before.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, if we had that kind of striping it would be a lot better. The I-93 sections are better than 128's, but it's still not particularly good. The sections on 128 are slowly going away as the add-a-lane project continues. There's only one section left (route 9 to Needham) on 128 and that will go away in a few years. There's no timeline on fixing 93 and truthfully until the 93/128 and 93/495 interchanges are upgraded another lane won't really fix the problems on that road.

Koesj posted:

Dang, a HOV barrier, never heard of that before.

HOV lanes in Connecticut are separated by a median and have their own exits.

Rarely you'll get a road that is actually built with future expansion in mind. When US route 3 was widened in Mass in the early aughts, it was actually built to be four-laned in the future. All of the bridges, road bed, drainage, interchanges, and geometry are built so that the current inner shoulder can be a travel lane and a new shoulder paved next to it. I don't think it'll be added until 2025 at the earliest, and there's people talking about adding HOT lanes to Route 3. I think that's really dumb, because we already paid for the hard work for the road to be four lanes in each direction. There's not enough room for a barrier or for adding extra exits. If they want to put a restriction on it, make it a regular carpool lane.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I mean the HOV requirement acting as a barrier to entry on the entire freeway section. That's pretty drastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Koesj posted:

I mean the HOV requirement acting as a barrier to entry on the entire freeway section. That's pretty drastic.

Oh wow. I wonder how much you get whacked for getting a ticket during that time.