Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Equipment is all that matters really. If you learn how the crafting system works hard mode is a piece of cake. Of course it's still legit tricky until you get a few levels in forging and accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The main thing hard mode does is make you spend more time on crafting, and more time on the farm to support that. Having played through on both I like playing through on normal better. There are several pauses in the story where you have to wait for the rng to give you the right event. On normal you can use that time to upgrade your farm and stuff. On hard you already upgraded your farm to pay for crafting gear so waiting for the next story beat can get boring.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Just bought Rune Factory 4, can you gay marry in this game? I'm assuming not but I figure I should check.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You can't but there is a way to switch to the model for the other gender. Since the dialogue doesn't change it kind of works out.

You can also be hella gay on Valentine's and white day I guess.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Is Forte the only person I can ask to come with me early on?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, she's hardcoded to be a companion no matter how little you are friends with her. Everyone else needs at least 3 levels in their relationship bar before they'll come along with you to fight. And I believe 6 before they'll stop taking off when night approaches.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Xiao Pai is also, hilariously enough, level for level much stronger than the main character.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, I've only played the SNES Harvest Moon game, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the series for the most part. I was thinking about maybe getting Rune Factory IV, or Story of Seasons. Which one should I go for?

As someone who really enjoys Harvest Moon, I find the Rune Factory series to be terrrrrrrible. Way too anime for me. It's really bad.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm finding Rune Factory 3 less interesting than my run in ToTT but then I'm not really into combat mechanics in my anime fantasy farming simulators. Does the farming stuff get deeper or does it stay pretty basic crop management + monster helpers in this one?

That aside, the characters are pretty charming and man, some of art/environment are absolutely beautiful :)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Met posted:

As someone who really enjoys Harvest Moon, I find the Rune Factory series to be terrrrrrrible. Way too anime for me. It's really bad.

I'm not sure how you get too anime and not have a problem with Nina and her pink hair and her one-dimensional "IM A FLOWER GIRL I LOVE FLOWERS" personality.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If this is too much for you, I don't know what to tell you

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 29, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, I got a Protein from a contest, and should I use it or sell it? Looks like buying another one would require a ton of cash, but I don't know how important stats are here.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, I got a Protein from a contest, and should I use it or sell it? Looks like buying another one would require a ton of cash, but I don't know how important stats are here.

I always sell mine early for the quickstart cash. It's up to you though, you can make them later on with your pharmacy :D

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Knorth posted:

I'm finding Rune Factory 3 less interesting than my run in ToTT but then I'm not really into combat mechanics in my anime fantasy farming simulators. Does the farming stuff get deeper or does it stay pretty basic crop management + monster helpers in this one?

That aside, the characters are pretty charming and man, some of art/environment are absolutely beautiful :)

Nah, farming's pretty basic in 3. 3's strength is purely its characters. Rune Factory 3 and 4 tend to be better gravitated more towards crafting than towards farming, though I want to say 4 is better about it. 3 I kind of started ignoring my field after a while.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
harvest moon/story of seasons is so boring after rune factory.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Allarion posted:

Nah, farming's pretty basic in 3. 3's strength is purely its characters. Rune Factory 3 and 4 tend to be better gravitated more towards crafting than towards farming, though I want to say 4 is better about it. 3 I kind of started ignoring my field after a while.

Ah well, I guess I'll play a little more and than head back to ToTT. Thanks!

Will miss the hotspring stamina recovery thing though, that was a cool idea

e. annnd I can get a hotspring later in ToTT apparently, yessss

Knorth fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 29, 2015

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Tired Moritz posted:

harvest moon/story of seasons is so boring after rune factory.

I'm having this same problem. I really enjoyed the series, in spite of the ANIME, but I can't even play Story of Seasons after playing the RF series. It's like I'm only playing half a game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
What's Rune Factory's dungeon system like in comparison to say Recettear?

I'm considering buying it or Story of Seasons when that comes out in the EU, but the idea of combat in a HM game is something I'm pretty antsy about since I remember Recettear being a great game that was brought down by having to deal with stupid dungeon crawling and crafting instead of actally running a shop, which is the reason I bought it to begin with.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm considering buying it or Story of Seasons when that comes out in the EU, but the idea of combat in a HM game is something I'm pretty antsy about since I remember Recettear being a great game that was brought down by having to deal with stupid dungeon crawling and crafting instead of actally running a shop, which is the reason I bought it to begin with.

There are a fair amount of dungeons in RF4, substantially more than RF3. You DO have to do them to advance the plot and gather higher quality materials like gold, platinum, etc. However, you don't have to do them if you just wanna farm indefinitely, or whatever. Depends on what you want out of the game.

I will say, as someone who loves Recettear and Rune Factory both, Rune Factory's dungeon crawling is many, many times better than Recettear's. RF3 and RF4 refine the system into something very enjoyable. Many different styles, special powers, magic, fast paced and not clunky at all.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And doing non-dungeon things will increase your stats making it easier to dungeon crawl when you eventually decide to advance the plot.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
you'll have to do some of the main quest to unlock all of the waifus/husbandos.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The farming and fighting portions of RF4 are very complementary to each other. Having all sorts of different weapons and magic vary up the combat somewhat, and it's easy to make your character stronger by doing literally anything. Farming, sleeping, walking, eating...

Going from farming -> fighting -> farming helped switch things up so that I was never bored when I played. There's always so much to do!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, from the responses in the thread and a bit of Youtubing I'm probably going to dodge RF. If the Dungeon Crawling is that integral then I'd rather buy a game that's a dedicated crawler separate to a game about farming.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, from the responses in the thread and a bit of Youtubing I'm probably going to dodge RF. If the Dungeon Crawling is that integral then I'd rather buy a game that's a dedicated crawler separate to a game about farming.

It's actually really fun and somewhat seamless. You farm in the morning (or whenever, honestly) and primarily farm to make money and consumables. The farming is quick, but has some depth to it (watering is really fast, harvesting is really fast, shipping is really fast, soil can be built up and enhanced in a variety of ways and crops can be enhanced with a variety of chemicals, etc.), and the dungeon crawling is fun. It's certainly not the deepest game in the world, but the fusion of farming to get stuff to adventure with to adventure to get better materials to make better farm tools to fuel more adventuring is fun. The dungeons are also neat, with a lot of hidden secrets and little nooks and crannies to explore. The combat system is, again, not the deepest in the world, but there's some fun to be had with the various weapon abilities, the forging system (seriously, there are a lot of ways to make cool weapons and armor, including combining special abilities from multiple pieces of equipment into one), and the spells are fun.

Did I mention that it's quick? That alone makes for a fun farming experience. Harvesting a field full of crops is a snap instead of tedious, and a lot of the tedium is cut down in favor of more high-level decisions, like which crops to grow, which monsters to tame (including bosses!), and where to mine/adventure.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
And don't worry, you can still get that traditional "takes half the day to water and harvest your crops" HM experience by expanding the amount of fields you have. Build a turnip empire.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Which eventually ends up with you building a giant golden potato empire. The shiniest of vegetables, useless for eating! :v:

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

if you love Harvest Moon then avoiding Rune Factory is a crime against yourself

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As soon as that dragon started flirting with me I knew I made a terrible mistake. :gonk:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Met posted:

As soon as that dragon started flirting with me I knew I made a terrible mistake. :gonk:

I was so bummed that you can't marry Venti, she's mai waifu

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

if you love Harvest Moon then avoiding Rune Factory is a crime against yourself

Unless you have a low tolerance for anime. Good grief, the dialogue in this game would drive people like that away.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Dr. Fetus posted:

Unless you have a low tolerance for anime. Good grief, the dialogue in this game would drive people like that away.

Compared to NPCs who have the same single line for an entire season.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean, if there is one problem I have with Rune Factory it's that I'd rather be a milf hunter than deal with their sometimes uncomfortably designed daughters.

Just give me a regular looking person, anime game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Unhappy Meal posted:

Compared to NPCs who have the same single line for an entire season.

Which beats the hell out of the garbage dialogue in Rune Factory. I'd rather have something plain than something terrible.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Met posted:

Which beats the hell out of the garbage dialogue in Rune Factory. I'd rather have something plain than something terrible.

Actually, the dialogue in Rune Factory is good, funny, and cute

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Thinking about getting a Rune Factory, is it better to get 3 or 4? I hear 4 has the better gameplay while 3 has more interesting characters. Is the gameplay that much of an improvement, or are the character still pretty good just not as unique?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

You should probably get 4. I love the characters in 3 but RF4 is better than RF3 in nearly every other way

After playing 4, gently caress 3's crafting!!!!!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Zeron posted:

Thinking about getting a Rune Factory, is it better to get 3 or 4? I hear 4 has the better gameplay while 3 has more interesting characters. Is the gameplay that much of an improvement, or are the character still pretty good just not as unique?

The gameplay is that much butter, but 3 is a fun experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DoubleDonut posted:

Actually, the dialogue in Rune Factory is good, funny, and cute

Says the guy with an anime avatar?

I get it. You like it. But to those who don't dig anime it's really terrible.

• Locked thread