Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
Somehow I keep missing whatever is required to get in on these beta's. I played an incredible amount of Ragnarok Online 1. Got to 99 before they increased the level cap. Killed things for .0001 EXP. Had my wedding in game with the same girl I had my real wedding with next year. I am so loving ready. Keeping an eye on fan sites for keys so I can get a taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
This game has some neat classes that are made obsolete since they seemed to have removed grinding.

Also swordsman has only two or three ways to go that are good.

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008
I'm not sure the grind is gone. I've hit 83 with no devoted grind time, and I'll hit 84 off the cards I get from this area, but I'll probably have to grind out 2 more levels before the next zone I can quest in. After that the grind is probably going to increase in time between zones (it looks like, at least).

Also, for anyone who doesn't know, you can only get quests from zones that you're 10 levels under. Any higher and they don't get offered.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
DO NOT GO C2 BASE CLASS UNLESS YOU ARE ARCHER AND EVEN THEN MAYBE NOT

You are gimping yourself for no reason the base class skills really blow compared to other classes. Peltasta is fine if you're going to be a spear guy, and hoplite is your next step and you can either go all in with hoplite or pick up cataphract or rodelero, whatever you want. You can even go spear doppel or use the spear skills with a rapier as a fencer.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Sacro posted:

You are gimping yourself for no reason the base class skills really blow compared to other classes. Peltasta is fine if you're going to be a spear guy, and hoplite is your next step and you can either go all in with hoplite or pick up cataphract or rodelero, whatever you want. You can even go spear doppel or use the spear skills with a rapier as a fencer.

This is bullshit. I'm a rank 3 INT Cleric and Cure destroys everything and Safety Zone allows me to tank better than Swordsman classes.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Sacro posted:

Yeah really this, but Archer C2 is good cause Quick Step 100% uptime at level 10, and an attribute to get yourself +25 crit rate with it..

Can anyone confirm about Fencer using spear skills? I was gonna go Sword > Pelt > Barb 3 > Fencer, but is hoplite actually good? Whats it like

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

The Quake posted:

This is bullshit. I'm a rank 3 INT Cleric and Cure destroys everything and Safety Zone allows me to tank better than Swordsman classes.

You could have been a c2 Krivis melting poo poo in seconds with Zaibas or c2 Priest with Aspersion, Blessing and Mass Heal. Opportunity costs!

Horizontal Tree posted:

Yeah really this, but Archer C2 is good cause Quick Step 100% uptime at level 10, and an attribute to get yourself +25 crit rate with it..

Can anyone confirm about Fencer using spear skills? I was gonna go Sword > Pelt > Barb 3 > Fencer, but is hoplite actually good? Whats it like

Stabbing hits twenty times. c3 Barb or Hoplite or probably even Highlander are all viable.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 29, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Horizontal Tree posted:

Hoplite shreds bosses with Stabbing, especially compared to Pelt's arduous boss kill speed. I can't speak on more than that though. My only annoyance with it so far is how lag seems to gently caress with Stabbing a lot and you'll only get a fraction of the number of attacks you were supposed to.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

korean tree of savior is so much better

http://toswiki.treeofsaviorgame.com/skill/dragging_death

cataphracts get a ability to drag people behind them

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Hoplite shreds bosses with Stabbing, especially compared to Pelt's arduous boss kill speed. I can't speak on more than that though. My only annoyance with it so far is how lag seems to gently caress with Stabbing a lot and you'll only get a fraction of the number of attacks you were supposed to.

But would all the spear and shield required skills be useless to me once (if) I hit Fencer?
I think I'm gonna go Highlander for C3.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 29, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Buggy quests are the worst

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Horizontal Tree posted:

But would all the spear and shield required skills be useless to me once (if) I hit Fencer?
I think I'm gonna go Highlander for C3.

You can see on tosbase which skills require spearshield stance and which don't.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Red Red Blue posted:

Try abandoning the quest, F5 opens the quest log

This worked, thanks!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Eonwe posted:

Pyromancer owns really hard

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Arzachel posted:

You could have been a c2 Krivis melting poo poo in seconds with Zaibas or c2 Priest with Aspersion, Blessing and Mass Heal. Opportunity costs!

Yes but then those abilities become worthless once you become a Sadhu. Mass Heal is bad and scales with spirit. Why would you ever use Zaibas as a Sadhu.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Now that people have been playin for a little bit maybe we should refresh that list of crap trap skills that people shouldn't take or should only put 1 point in. Well.. I mean... someone else can maybe

Krivis
Aukuras - Not a big fan of this skill as the hp recovery it gives doesn't seem like that much nor is it really needed.
Zaibas - this is plenty powerful even without int and is sometimes the only thing that I have that can kill monsters/bosses. Of course, skill resets are relatively easy to get...

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

The Quake posted:

Yes but then those abilities become worthless once you become a Sadhu. Mass Heal is bad and scales with spirit. Why would you ever use Zaibas as a Sadhu.

You can use spells while OoB, both Zaibas and Sadhu's autoattack scales off int and touching Monstrance and Zalcai spell circles while OoB gives you bonus autoattack damage.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Does anyone have a list of confirmed 'good' class builds? Takes a while to get to circle 3+, and I want to try as many builds as I can.

First character was hoplite and I really enjoy it.

The archer tree is hard to theorycraft because there's soooo many "shoot arrow" type skill descriptions.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Hop in slack to talk about builds, currently avoid going c3 in the base class, no one is close to actually getting c3 with any points in poo poo really. Avoid the statue carving class until the servers are sorted out, the lag/timeouts gently caress them over. Pet AI is still a bit weird (things like them trying to attack wizard fireballs) so maybe skip those if you don't want to deal with that. The thing is it is a bit hard to gently caress yourself overall when you are able to reset any bad choices when you hit a new rank. By the time you hit your 3rd rank of class you should have a decent idea of what you're doing, and during the cbt you can buy reset scrolls.

Priest is pretty amazing especially in parties, but all their buffs cost money so that poo poo can be expensive.

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED
I missed my opportunity to get a key for this beta. If anyone knows of websites doing giveways right now that would be great.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Arzachel posted:

You could have been a c2 Krivis melting poo poo in seconds with Zaibas or c2 Priest with Aspersion, Blessing and Mass Heal.

Mass Heal is a stupid good 1-point wonder so far.
1 point in Sacrament.
All in with Blessing, and keep ranking those passives for Blessing up.
Grab the Cafrisun Armor.

:getin:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
When you move to the next circle on your skill trees, you can buy a skill reset scroll and dump points into whatever up to its max rank; example, when I hit c2 pyro, I skill reset and dumped 10 points into flame ground and 5 points into fire pillar right away, and then had a point in fireball.

Just make sure you spend your points before you do this, there have been reports of people permanently losing unspent skill points.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Repair for squires seems like a really poorly thought out skill. Not only does it pair poorly with the other repair skills (it fills in gaps but I assume you can't have multiple repair shops open at a time anyway), but it also leads to less business in the first place. Repairing gear above the threshold means people will need repairs less often so you have fewer customers. I guess the advantage is that you can camp by the repair npcs and offer a superior service, but this could have been accomplished with some sort of buff without the loss of business.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Anyone have the scoop on dex builds? I hated how gimmicky dodge and crit was in RO, I'm wondering if it's any more reliable in this game. On my Krivis at least, I'm feeling like monster damage is starting to outpace defense mitigation and I'm afraid it's going to turn out like RO where the only way to be able to take hits is to a) never actually get hit or b) be a specially built tank character with tons of HP and a source of healing.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Well one good thing is that in this game you get both evasion and crit whereas before youd have to do agi and luck....

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man I really want to make a monk since it looks like they have really good scaling but gently caress is it disjointed to make one do to cleric being all over the place.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Game is hard crashing constantly now, dunno what to do :negative:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Man I really want to make a monk since it looks like they have really good scaling but gently caress is it disjointed to make one do to cleric being all over the place.

Can't you just take the easiest leveling path and then respec when you get to monk?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Baldbeard posted:

Can't you just take the easiest leveling path and then respec when you get to monk?

Thats not the issue, the problem is that cleric has some weak rear end circles starting out.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats not the issue, the problem is that cleric has some weak rear end circles starting out.

not with krivis, it does feel really supporty though early on

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I'm loving krivis, the melee support style is fun and zaibas melts stuff really well. the support spells kinda suck until you pump up their attributes tho

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Countblanc posted:

Repair for squires seems like a really poorly thought out skill. Not only does it pair poorly with the other repair skills (it fills in gaps but I assume you can't have multiple repair shops open at a time anyway), but it also leads to less business in the first place. Repairing gear above the threshold means people will need repairs less often so you have fewer customers. I guess the advantage is that you can camp by the repair npcs and offer a superior service, but this could have been accomplished with some sort of buff without the loss of business.

You just charge more cause your repairs are better :getin:, repairing mid-field without needing to run back to town sounds drat handy.

Squire sounds weird as hell and is something I'm looking forward to when this game launches.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Feels like I'm taking a lot of damage as a lvl 50 hoplite while leveling. Is there anything better than potions/camping when you're solo as a swordie? The downtime is kind of ridiculous.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

there are very few times I'd recommend circle 2 swordsman and spears or fencer are the only times I might recommend it

the 20 or 25 percent change to stun targets on hits really help on the health issue

the other thing to do is just have enough damage to not take much damage

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Baldbeard posted:

Feels like I'm taking a lot of damage as a lvl 50 hoplite while leveling. Is there anything better than potions/camping when you're solo as a swordie? The downtime is kind of ridiculous.

This is part of my curiosity about dex/dodge builds. You can take hits like a champ at lower levels but at some point your passive regen goes from small to totally worthless, and the flat damage mitigation from armor/con doesn't keep up with mob damage.

My solution was to play a Cleric class for this test. Now I just spam cheap SP pots and don't deal with resting at all, I imagine the ranged classes are the same.

There's a lot of stuff like this where it's hard to tell what's deliberate design, and what's an artifact of the game still being significantly incomplete or just a facet of low level play. The game is chockablock with tools meant to clearly encourage and aid "camp" style grinding, but then these tools seem really underpowered and unnecessary in actual play. Most classes don't seem to need to stop for anything and can just chug SP pots like Red Bull, but then you have Swordsman classes that take lots of face hits and have no great way to deal with it (other than killing things fast).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Scoss posted:

This is part of my curiosity about dex/dodge builds. You can take hits like a champ at lower levels but at some point your passive regen goes from small to totally worthless, and the flat damage mitigation from armor/con doesn't keep up with mob damage.

RO did this as well. I honestly don't know why they just don't make Constitution a more viable stat for the tankier classes.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I ran the underground chapel earlier today, which is the level 50 five man dungeon. What I noticed is pyromancers are very squishy and clerics are really really good. They can take a lot of hits and deal a bunch of damage when needed. Then they have support and healing spells. Also I learned really quickly that running up to melee to drop a fireball is not the smartest idea and its better off playing fireball golf to hit it towards the enemy, but the melee classes would knock them away once it reaches the enemy anyways. I'm not sure how to properly use fireball in a party. I recorded the whole run if anyone is interested in how the dungeon works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iShgPxQF-Ag

I wouldn't really say it was that enjoyable of an experience but it was definitely a change of pace from the normal grinding. Perhaps the higher level dungeon would prove to be more interesting.

Magile
May 20, 2008

Scoss posted:

Anyone have the scoop on dex builds? I hated how gimmicky dodge and crit was in RO, I'm wondering if it's any more reliable in this game. On my Krivis at least, I'm feeling like monster damage is starting to outpace defense mitigation and I'm afraid it's going to turn out like RO where the only way to be able to take hits is to a) never actually get hit or b) be a specially built tank character with tons of HP and a source of healing.

There is a 130+ Barbarian streaming every so often. He has only put points into Dexterity, so he's around 209 DEX with an HP pool around 8.9k. He basically one-shots every normal mob and has to do a lot of actual dodging against bosses, but he's doing insanely well -- he doesn't seem to depend much on actual Dexterity-based Dodge though.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Is anyone here strong enough that they could kill these guys

http://www.tosbase.com/database/monsters/57618/

and get me 9 Kepo Skins.

I will love you forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If anyone is going through Tenet with no intent to make Goat Horns, save me all your horn drops!

• Locked thread