Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I bet they got like 6 entries for the plant category.

Apparently there are middle school kids who have taken shots that blow the poo poo out of anything in my portfolio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I know right, gently caress those kids. Sweet 5DmkIII and 500mm f4 IS II you got there, 12 year old child.

Really surprised that they went with what they did for the birds category. I mean, its a great pic, I'd be stoked if I took it but this was one of the entries:

which loving owns hard and totally should have won imo

Also, this picture is just fantastic:

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I know right, gently caress those kids. Sweet 5DmkIII and 500mm f4 IS II you got there, 12 year old child.

If you're talking about Mama's Back you should mention the $1300+ tripod setup too.

quote:

Technical specification
Canon EOS 5D Mark III + 500mm f4 lens; 1/640 sec at f4.5; ISO 1250; Gitzo tripod + Wimberley head.

But that is possibly borrowed gear, so I can let that go. My question is, who is driving them out to the middle of nowhere and sitting in camouflage with them all day so the kid can take wildlife photos? They aren't old enough to drive, they can't be lugging $8k worth of gear on long hikes on their own. I've figured it out. That's the real subtext in most of the children's category photographs. On the surface you think it's about you needing more camera gear but when you look deeper you see the images are really about how your parents didn't love you enough.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 18, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or maybe some parents just make a lot of loving money and spare no expense trying to make their crotch fruit the best at something.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Bubbacub posted:

I bet they got like 6 entries for the plant category.

Apparently there are middle school kids who have taken shots that blow the poo poo out of anything in my portfolio.

xzzy posted:

Or maybe some parents just make a lot of loving money and spare no expense trying to make their crotch fruit the best at something.

I remember as a kid, I was a squad level swimmer, which from memory was just good enough to go to competition. One of the kids in the class above me had the stereotype Asian mum who drove him hard. I saw him doing laps one day when I went to the pools with friends, and he wanted to come and have fun with us, but his mum started lecturing him about how he had to be the best and the only way to do that was work. We didn't stick around long, because a mother yelling at her kid in public doesn't make for a fun place to be, but the look on that kids face when his mum said he couldn't take a break and have some fun is stuck in my head.
I imagine these kids have parents like that, but 100x worse. Losing your childhood so your parents can live through you and admire the family trophy cabinet while you sit their miserable must loving suck.

That being said, I'm definitely finding some pretty plants and getting that first prize next year though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A few years ago some kid managed to get in with a photo of a fox in a hen house taken using about the only point'n'shoot I've ever noticed on the competition, but yes "Child was photographing the subject alongside their father" is a common theme. One of the kids this year is from an family of nature photographers (Dad, two daughters and a son).

edit: I do think that the switch to digital has helped a lot if you want to prodig-ize your child. "Come and sit with me for hours on end in an uncomfortable hide, taking only a handful of photo that you won't see for a week" had to have been a hard sell. The instant feedback of digital has to help stave off boredom somewhat.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 18, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think for the most part child photographers with super nice setups are probably using the parent's gear or have that gear provided by parents who themselves are so into photography they can't help but slather it onto their kids as well.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I guess there are worse things you could drag your kids along for, but what's weird for me is seeing kids with glitzy websites with prints for sale and poo poo. Like they're already trotting out a 12 year old as a brand.

I think I had a website at that age, but it a ship guide to Wing Commander 3 or something.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

800peepee51doodoo posted:

which loving owns hard and totally should have won imo

Giving a life is nothing to win a prize over even if an animal!!!!!! Made me sick first time I saw it. Pick something more beautiful and pleasant next time!!!!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Anubis posted:

If you're talking about Mama's Back you should mention the $1300+ tripod setup too.

But that is possibly borrowed gear, so I can let that go. My question is, who is driving them out to the middle of nowhere and sitting in camouflage with them all day so the kid can take wildlife photos? They aren't old enough to drive, they can't be lugging $8k worth of gear on long hikes on their own. I've figured it out. That's the real subtext in most of the children's category photographs. On the surface you think it's about you needing more camera gear but when you look deeper you see the images are really about how your parents didn't love you enough.

Yeah I was just making a joke but that's sort of a good point. Like, 95% of nature photography is having the money and time for expensive equipment and travel so its not something a kid can really do without a ton of support from wealthy parents. Anyway, I'm not actually trying to slag children, and I think its cool they have some categories for kids.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I didn't expect this to come out as well as it did, but this is the result of taking 5 second exposures over and over until a bat tripped a laser which in turn triggered a set of flashes.

Pallas's Long-tongued Bat, Costa Rica

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Some Costa Rican reptiles and amphibians (some wild, some from private reptile collection that were made available to photograph):

Costa Rican Rattlesnake

Tree Frog (?)

Glass Frog

Eyelash Viper

Hog-nosed Viper

Green Iguana

Parrot Snake

Red-eyed Tree Frog

"Jesus Lizard" Common Basalisk

Speckled Palm Viper

Striped Palm Viper

Strawberry Poison-dart Frog

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The only thing I hate about this thread, loving snakes, and large rear end images of them.

Gross.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: loving GORGEOUS PHOTOS of snakes.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Yeah, all those reptile photos are incredible

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Never stop posting your Costa Rica photos, InternetJunky.

The persistent drought in California has dried out a lot of the marshland in the Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge, so several of the reed beds are growing out of solid ground right now. Entire herds of black-tailed deer will move into them to graze on the grass below the cattails while remaining hidden, so there are intermittent trampling, munching and snorting noises coming from the reeds, sometimes just feet from the trail. Occasionally, one would show itself while moving between reed beds.

black-tail by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

buck-trot by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Banana slug.

banana-slug-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Wallaby and Joey by ASB, on Flickr

Flickr did some weird poo poo to the photo but w/e

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 27, 2015

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Reckon this make more sense here than anywhere in TVIV....

The BBC's next major nature series starts this weekend, and as always it looks like it's another absolute master-class in camera work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTIQmt2s_24

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Snuck Up on Me by B. B., on Flickr

Practice Fighting by B. B., on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Tortoise Reflection by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Holy poo poo that bat photo (and the rest of those costa rica photos, but especially the bat one)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This cow will be a pattie next week :(

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
We all gotta go sometime, cow.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
And those clouds changed forever seconds after the picture was taken.

Nothing is forever.
And not everything gets to be delicious.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Good burgs gotta live a good life.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
DSCF0852 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Was in Edmonton, saw hare

DSC_6361.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_6371.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_6376.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Reckon this make more sense here than anywhere in TVIV....

The BBC's next major nature series starts this weekend, and as always it looks like it's another absolute master-class in camera work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTIQmt2s_24
I watched the gently caress out of that. It's easily some of the best wildlife cinematography I've seen.

My debut as a camera operator for the BBC Natural History Unit just aired. It's on iPlayer now for anyone in Britain or using a proxy plugin:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06vpb86
I shot the opening segment and some of the narration/B-roll around the coast.

Some animal portraits from the Sequoia Park Zoo from yesterday:

River otter

Bush dog

Muntjac

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

I watched the gently caress out of that. It's easily some of the best wildlife cinematography I've seen.

My debut as a camera operator for the BBC Natural History Unit just aired. It's on iPlayer now for anyone in Britain or using a proxy plugin:

River otter

Bush dog

Muntjac

I don't know what a bush dog is, but it looks pissed. Yeah, The Hunt was fantastic, I loved the Arctic one. It was a shame that iplayer mpeg compression couldn't handle the huge flocks of birds and schools of fish, collapsing into a blocky mess.
Will definitely check out the episode you shot on, the first one was pretty fun.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Trying to salvage some old Kenya shots. Safaris are awesome, but you don't get much variety in backgrounds/surroundings so I'm trying to see what I can do in photoshop for some of these boring shots.

Moon Potato posted:

River otter

Bush dog

Muntjac

I don't suppose you know of a free UK proxy, do you? I'd love to see the footage.

Your three zoo shots are great. I wish there was a whole series like this.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I don't suppose you know of a free UK proxy, do you? I'd love to see the footage.
The BBC iPlayer Proxy Plugin for Chrome is working for me.

quote:

Your three zoo shots are great. I wish there was a whole series like this.
Thanks. There are more in the bird photography thread.

Edit: they put a low-res copy up on Youtube, but they forgot to uncheck the 'Please gently caress up my gamma' button while exporting and the colors are all washed out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtY415tfU3E

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 13, 2016

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Another option is to use a free 7 day trial at unblockus. It doesn't them too long to unblock your IP so you can use another email address to get another 7 days.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

(Guess who hasn't been on a luxurious safari to photograph exotic species)

Squirrel on Fence by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

This thread needs more pictures, and now that I am starting to get the hang of using my camera, I'll post some.

"Its really simple. just do exactly what I do"

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ika posted:

This thread needs more pictures, and now that I am starting to get the hang of using my camera, I'll post some.

This is a very, very pretty shot, but I feel like you could bring up the shadows and bring down some of the highlights a bit and you'd end up with an even better result. (assuming you shot in RAW)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Kenshin posted:

This is a very, very pretty shot, but I feel like you could bring up the shadows and bring down some of the highlights a bit and you'd end up with an even better result. (assuming you shot in RAW)

I'll have to give that a try. I haven't started figuring out postprocessing yet, still trying to get enough practice so I can get a good pictures of the cheetahs running one day., so all of these are straight conversions.

E: I'm only doing .raw, and then run the good ones through a 29 line C++ program to convert them and downsize them.

Here's another one I'm really happy with, of the father.

Ika fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 5, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ika posted:

I'll have to give that a try. I haven't started figuring out postprocessing yet, still trying to get enough practice so I can get a good pictures of the cheetahs running one day., so all of these are straight conversions.
Then you've got even better pictures to work with to learn postprocessing on than I did when I started learning Lightroom. :)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

(Guess who hasn't been on a luxurious safari to photograph exotic species)

Squirrel on Fence by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

It is an invasive species so I guess it qualifies as exotic?

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
I saw koalas in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

Trying to salvage some old Kenya shots. Safaris are awesome, but you don't get much variety in backgrounds/surroundings so I'm trying to see what I can do in photoshop for some of these boring shots.

I think the only way to isolate animals in africa would be to get them pin sharp on a tele with green bokeh to easily separate them. (because most animals in the bushveld are pretty good at camouflage, it also tends to fool photoshop when trying to separate them from savannah/brownish backgrounds) And good luck finding a green background most of the time!