Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Black Mage Knight posted:

Wasn't Balthier the most broken thing in WotL? I remember hearing something like him being super easily able to hit the speed cap and just be able to take multiple turns sniping people before they even get their first turn.

Might be, it's been years since I've played it. I remember him as a superior Mustadio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I don't have any special attachment to Balthier as a character and didn't really like FF12's localization style (Though I don't like that game's story much to begin with), but how much better of a translation is WotL? Like are major plot points in the PSX version practically erased like in the original FF7 translation?

I already happened to have a copy of the PSX version lying around, but is WotL so much better that I'm better off just getting the game again?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just play the one you have. The new translation has its ups and downs (it's really wordy, which takes the punch out of many lines) and you don't get to waste an afternoon figuring out how to rob an endgame boss of his one of a kind gear.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
blame yourself or god

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The slowdown effect they applied in WoTL was much worse a problem than the new translation ever was, if you do end up playing that version, I'd recommend using emulator with a patch that removes slowdown.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

corn in the bible posted:

blame yourself or god

Is our forked tongue done flitting? What I'd hear from your lips are not words!

(This is what's in store for you with the new translation)

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
New Dissidia trailer was released https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0oTJiy6j8g.

Can't wait to replay this messed up story and bash my head against Chaos again, but in HD this time! HD does look really good though, and I hear they're aiming for a roster of 50.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's just gonna be the same story? I was really hoping they'd do something different, like how Duodecim was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

It's just gonna be the same story? I was really hoping they'd do something different, like how Duodecim was.

There's no word on the story beyond "it's a bunch of people fighting a bunch of other people" really.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I wonder if in the English trailer Cloud will jump out and just shout "Not interested", that'd be funny and a good sign for the new FF VII, I think.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Vann in as 12MC, Ashe Fuckin Buried

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 29, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoenin posted:

Vann in as MC, Ashe Fuckin Buried

That is how it was in the previous games. Ashe wasn't even the second choice for a FFXII rep apparently. (Balthier was but eventually didn't make it in.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gabranth > Vaan > Balthier > Ashe apparently.

I just want them to acknowledge Basch. Penelo has had more of a starring role than he did.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I doubt they'll have fewer characters than in the Duodecim (which would be the case if the ones introduced in the trailer were all there were), and it's apparently a staggered introduced roster - there'll probably also be a trailer for the villain side.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Im_Special posted:

New Dissidia trailer was released https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0oTJiy6j8g.

Can't wait to replay this messed up story and bash my head against Chaos again, but in HD this time! HD does look really good though, and I hear they're aiming for a roster of 50.

Y'shtola's a Conjurer how does she know Collective Unconsciousness I call hax. :mad:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Dr Pepper posted:

Y'shtola's a Conjurer how does she know Collective Unconsciousness I call hax. :mad:

Nah it's the WHM holy soap bubble, Asylum.

The real question is how she's using WHM spells.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Nah it's the WHM holy soap bubble, Asylum.

The real question is how she's using WHM spells.

No, it definitely is Collective Unconsciousness, she takes the same pose an AST does when they use the skill.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It may not even be a move in the game, just there for the trailer or whatever.

As opposed to, say, Holy. I do like that she's cross-classed Blizzard II though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't know what I'm looking at but it looks pretty cool.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So, I started playing Final Fantasy 8 on steam a bit ago and just finished it. Going into Lunatic Pandora and the end of disc 3, I was actually thinking that it might be one of my favorite RPG plots of all time.

I no longer think that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I no longer think that.

Well, you see that final boss you meet at the end of disc 4? You have been fighting her throughout the whole game, ever since the very start of disc 1. She's this insane sorceress that has lived hundreds of years past her time because she can't give her powers away, who spent most of her adult life being persecuted after losing all her loved ones. She's stuck on a time loop and is trying to break free in the only way that makes sense in her broken mind. Also, it's theorized that she was Rinoa when she was younger.

Moral of the story: enjoy the present and living among those you love because the future can only get bleaker.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

Moral of the story: enjoy the HOTDOGS

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I actually understood the plot. The part I'm disappointed in is how many threads they leave dangling. Why did Seifer act the way he acted? What are GFs? SeeDs are really just what they appear to be? Why can't Ultimecia just possess Ellone directly? Why is it relevant in the slightest that everyone grew up int he same orphanage? And on and on and on. The plot that does get resolved is actually pretty cool (and I found it to be fairly obvious Ultimecia is Rinoa) but it just leaves too many threads.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Saoshyant posted:

I don't know what I'm looking at but it looks pretty cool.

My brother's Astrologian using the Celestial Opposition skill. When cast the Astrologian creates a bubble around them that reduces damage done to anybody within the bubble, as well as casting a HP Regen spell on them.

It's a nifty skill. :) Looks pretty cool too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Why did Seifer act the way he acted?

Guy wants to be a renowned hero. Sorceress offers him a lead position in the government in exchange for betraying his former allies. Later claims he was under a spell when he loses and said government crashes down. Right.

cheetah7071 posted:

What are GFs?

Crystallized sorceresses or whatever theory you subscribe to explain summons in each Final Fantasy.

cheetah7071 posted:

SeeDs are really just what they appear to be?

Paramilitary unit formed by the husband of a sorceress to deal with the coming of the future sorceress. Remember: time traveling story.

cheetah7071 posted:

Why can't Ultimecia just possess Ellone directly?

Ellone is not a sorceress. She's probably the biggest problem in the story. She's special for "reasons" but she isn't a sorceress, so she can't be possessed.

I think it's implied that she was experimented on by Dr Odine at some point, which might explain it? I dunno, haven't played the game in ten years.

cheetah7071 posted:

Why is it relevant in the slightest that everyone grew up int he same orphanage?

It's not. It's just something the protags realize and assume it means they are destined to do something greater because it's a JRPG troupe. Turns out if they were just random people who had met each other for the first time nothing would have changed either way.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 29, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

My brother's Astrologian using the Celestial Opposition skill. When cast the Astrologian creates a bubble around them that reduces damage done to anybody within the bubble, as well as casting a HP Regen spell on them.

It's a nifty skill. :) Looks pretty cool too.

Ah, it's FFXIV. I just meant everything about the screenshot looked cool, including the character's design.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

cheetah7071 posted:

Why did Seifer act the way he acted?

I think that one is just he wanted to be a sorceress's knight thanks to being inspired by the movie Laguna was in, because how "romantic" he thought the whole thing was. Side thing, that movie is also where he draws his gunblade style from (notice that his stance is the same as the one Laguna had in the little dragon fight mini-game).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Black Mage Knight posted:

I think that one is just he wanted to be a sorceress's knight thanks to being inspired by the movie Laguna was in, because how "romantic" he thought the whole thing was. Side thing, that movie is also where he draws his gunblade style from (notice that his stance is the same as the one Laguna had in the little dragon fight mini-game).

Whoa that's actually really cool. Is that actually mentioned somewhere in throwaway dialogue I missed or something?

I spent like two full days working myself up speculating on the ending and all the reveals the game still had up its sleeve, then arrived in Lunatic Pandora and watched as the game promptly revealed absolutely nothing. It's possible that I'm just letting a mediocre ending sour me on what was an overall very enjoyable experience.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My roommate also told me that Ultimania claims Ultimecia is not Rinoa which is such utter bullshit it put me into a bad mood even after I decided I didn't care what it said.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Seifer is kind of an idiot but I'll always have a soft spot for him in my heart because slicing Odin in half is one of the most badass things anyone has ever done in a Final Fantasy game.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

There would be no point in possessing Ellone because her ability sends other people's minds into the past, not her own. Ultimecia needs to possess someone who is then the subject of Ellone's ability, so her mind is in 3 time periods at once.

Saoshyant posted:

Crystallized sorceresses or whatever theory you subscribe to explain summons in each Final Fantasy.

Ellone is not a sorceress. She's probably the biggest problem in the story. She's special for "reasons" but she isn't a sorceress, so she can't be possessed.

I think it's implied that she was experimented on by Dr Odine at some point, which might explain it? I dunno, haven't played the game in ten years.

There's no origin story for GFs or Ellone's power, they just "are". Odine was trying to recreate the power mechanically (Junction Machine Ellone).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

There's no origin story for GFs or Ellone's power, they just "are". Odine was trying to recreate the power mechanically (Junction Machine Ellone).

Ah, right, that's it. But yeah, like most things, it's just "because" and it's just hanging in there.

Like, that Laguna movie connection with Seifer. That's probably at most implied and not spelled directly to the player, but fans fill in the blanks because the game surely doesn't make a good job at doing it at all and no one will ever disagree on this. The story is a mess. I still really like the game, warts and all, and boy does it have a lot of warts.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's an arcade game now so the new Dissidia probably won't even have much of a story.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The Laguna-Seifer connection is a fun detail, not spelling everything out is good.

IMO there's no reason for Ellone's power to be anything but a freak mutation, or for GFs to be anything more than a class of being that can lend out their powers. There's just a few things in there like Ultimecia's empty backstory, or the totally vague rules surrounding time compression, that really weaken the story in their absence. There's also the war with Adel which is explained ok but sounds way more interesting than whatever's going on now.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Seifer is kind of an idiot but I'll always have a soft spot for him in my heart because slicing Odin in half is one of the most badass things anyone has ever done in a Final Fantasy game.

It always looked to me like Seifer just pointed his gunblade forward and Odin the ran straight into it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Golden Goat posted:

It always looked to me like Seifer just pointed his gunblade forward and Odin the ran straight into it.

Gilgamesh is the one who actually cut him in half

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Nah, Seifer just moved so fast your eyes couldn't see. That's how powerful he became.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Saoshyant posted:

Nah, Seifer just moved so fast your eyes couldn't see. That's how powerful he became.

Nah, gonna go with my thought that Odin's never been hit back before ever in his life.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Saoshyant posted:

It's not. It's just something the protags realize and assume it means they are destined to do something greater because it's a JRPG troupe. Turns out if they were just random people who had met each other for the first time nothing would have changed either way.
It comes back into play the for time compression plan. Their strong familial connection transcends simple camaraderie in providing the mechanism for finding each other in time compression. Compare to the one outsider Rinoa, needing to be convinced her~*True love*~ for Squall is strong enough to work for the purposes of getting not lost in time compression.

cheetah7071 posted:

Whoa that's actually really cool. Is that actually mentioned somewhere in throwaway dialogue I missed or something?

I spent like two full days working myself up speculating on the ending and all the reveals the game still had up its sleeve, then arrived in Lunatic Pandora and watched as the game promptly revealed absolutely nothing. It's possible that I'm just letting a mediocre ending sour me on what was an overall very enjoyable experience.
You can look up Seifer's overdue library records and its all sorceress's knight related novels. I think Fujin and Raijin might reference his obsession at some point too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Gilgamesh grabs his sword afterwards but it was Seifer that kills him. He even strikes a pose afterwards with "Zantetsuken Reverse" on the screen in Japanese. :v: