Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Also loving lol if you uncritically believe Fiona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

A person so sure their allegations are true that they speak to the media anonymously

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Negligent posted:

Your analogy is poo poo since people actually voluntarily pay money to get on a boat

So they pay for access to the pool and then get scammed and drowned. While you still don't rescue them. More accurate?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

How about we gently caress off the pool analogy as unhelpful and just describe them as people who paid money to people smugglers to get on a boat since that's what actually happened

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I can't think of a single reason why a person in that situation would want to protect their anonymity nope not one

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

If I ride a bike through a red light get struck by a car and die of head injuries (I wasnt wearing a helmet) it is the fault of

1. Passersby who didn't call 000
2. Ambulance officers for not responding fast enough
3. Driver of the car
4. Person who designed the intersection
5. Manufacturer of the bike
6. Government for failing to educate me on the risks of cycling

7. The person who told the ambulance to wait so as to provide a message to other cyclists to wear a helmet.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

when one person chooses to keep anonymity while whistle blowing it's because they're some filthy commie liar

When a government chooses to stop releasing information about operations indefinitely it's because you don't need to know

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Solemn Sloth posted:

when one person chooses to keep anonymity while whistle blowing it's because they're some filthy commie liar

When a government chooses to stop releasing information about operations indefinitely it's because you don't need to know

No, it's because there's no information to give, clearly. Try to keep up.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

7. The person who told the ambulance to wait so as to provide a message to other cyclists to wear a helmet.

I'd stand in front of the ambulance personally if negligent got run down

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

When officers give orders they are frequently in the habit of giving the recipient a detailed explanation of why those orders are being given. That explains how Fiona came to know that actually, Tony Abbott is personally responsible for rescue activities

Jintor
May 19, 2014

counterpoint: having our camps be total loving poo poo and for processing to take ages is terrible and makes us bad people

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
have considered that maybe actually torture of the children is good?

e: as hell???

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Seagull posted:

Oh, so you don't care about adults being tortured? :smug:

I guess you were the real torture apologist all along.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Seagull posted:

That's a hell of a hypothetical given that individuals utterly beyond reproach such as Scott Morrison and Peter dutton and Chris Bowen have said that the kids are fine and self harm and suicidal ideation is a normal part of growing up and also has anyone checked if kids is even the right word for small browns

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If you called them pups people would probably care more.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's almost as if Amethyst and Negligent have synchronized cycles.

Refugees are a convenient problem we use to distract our population from the actual problems our politicians refuse to solve and often cause. Why do the right thing and deprive the political class of media-selling headlines and sanctimonious press conferences? Next you'll be expecting them to vote on things that the electorate cares about! We're not even original about it, we're just worse than most.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

I can't think of a single reason why a person in that situation would want to protect their anonymity nope not one

everytime we heard about a boat the captain would ring toned abs on the boatphone to see what we should do and also have raunchy phonesex
- anonymous

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Negligent posted:

When officers give orders they are frequently in the habit of giving the recipient a detailed explanation of why those orders are being given. That explains how Fiona came to know that actually, Tony Abbott is personally responsible for rescue activities

Obviously Fiona is better at pattern recognition than you

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zahki posted:

That's triple our usual refugee intake. Resettling refugees here takes a lot of time and effort. They need a lot of support before they actually feel at home here. Whats the point of accepting them if they need to live in tent ghettos no better than Nauru because we can't find them proper housing? Everyone loses, the communities who live nearby and get to see their crime skyrocket and the refugees who basically live as third world citizens in a first world country. If we're going to take refugees it needs to be deliberate and measured, not a free for all where we take in unsustainable numbers because we're trying to take UNHCR designated refugees as well as everyone who makes it to our shores by boat. I have no idea why you think we'd be able to support 20,000 refugees a year when the average is around 6,000. It would be impossible to give them the support they need to integrate into the community. Like I said, 'take them all' is not a solution, it's not feasible and unless you think that relatively wealthy people who can access people smugglers should get priority over people living in warzones without the means to escape themselves then we shouldn't be trying to take on an additional burden that would compromise the integration of the refugees we already take into their new communities.

You've already been corrected on the yearly intake. People are being kept in disgusting, inhumane conditions in Australian facilities not by necessity but out of a conscious decision to make Australia as unattractive destination as possible. It doesn't work because when you're living in a warzone or being murdered by your own government any place looks better. Obviously it's not working, we're not bribing captains nothing.

If costs are your concern, in june 2014-may 2015 of May 2015, we spentĀ $409,390,722 for Nauru. $1920 a day. Conversely it's less than $400 a day to lock somebody up in maximum security in Australia. Naru is the reason for the cost.

Zahki posted:

Making sure we only take an amount we have the resources to properly support and ensuring that they go through an equitable process of selection is the only humane thing to do. Allowing unrestricted movement into our country by anyone who claims to be a refugee is a really bad idea with terrible outcomes both for the refugees and Australian citizens.
We already screened people and only let in genuine refugees. Access for simply claiming to be a refugee has never been a thing.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I too believe everything I read on 4chan, because anonymity is the hallmark of credible storytelling

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Fiona: Captain we've just received a distress signal!
Captain: Is it in Australian waters?
Fiona: No?
Captain: Well then we wait until it is.

I can't imagine how someone might think an order that didn't directly name a politician could be construed as being for purely political reasons.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
This is incredible

https://foragerfunds.com/bristlemouth/dick-smith-is-the-greatest-private-equity-heist-of-all-time/

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

What good have anonymous sources ever done hey? Tell me that leftards

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Fiona: Captain we've just received a distress signal!
Captain: Is it in Australian waters?
Fiona: No?
Captain: Well then we wait until it is.

I can't imagine how someone might think an order that didn't directly name a politician could be construed as being for purely political reasons.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thathappened

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zahki posted:

That's triple our usual refugee intake. Resettling refugees here takes a lot of time and effort. They need a lot of support before they actually feel at home here. Whats the point of accepting them if they need to live in tent ghettos no better than Nauru because we can't find them proper housing? Everyone loses, the communities who live nearby and get to see their crime skyrocket and the refugees who basically live as third world citizens in a first world country. If we're going to take refugees it needs to be deliberate and measured, not a free for all where we take in unsustainable numbers because we're trying to take UNHCR designated refugees as well as everyone who makes it to our shores by boat. I have no idea why you think we'd be able to support 20,000 refugees a year when the average is around 6,000. It would be impossible to give them the support they need to integrate into the community. Like I said, 'take them all' is not a solution, it's not feasible and unless you think that relatively wealthy people who can access people smugglers should get priority over people living in warzones without the means to escape themselves then we shouldn't be trying to take on an additional burden that would compromise the integration of the refugees we already take into their new communities.

Making sure we only take an amount we have the resources to properly support and ensuring that they go through an equitable process of selection is the only humane thing to do. Allowing unrestricted movement into our country by anyone who claims to be a refugee is a really bad idea with terrible outcomes both for the refugees and Australian citizens.
You have to be trolling.

Refugees are a boon to our economy.

We spend way more torturing and raping them than we would supporting them in the community

Wealthy people only can pay people smugglers is rubbish. The ones coming to Australia are the ones who can afford to pay the least.

"people living in warzones without the means to escape themselves" Well given there is no way for these guys to do anything but suffer you might as well write them out of the equation. Australia deliberately doesn't allow these people to even apply for assylum let alone visas. Here read this: http://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/fact-sheets/faqs/faq-info-about-refugees-asylum-seekers-and-australias-refugee-and-humanitarian-program/ You might not spout such utter drivel if you do.

There is no 'unrestricted movement' into our country and after decades of accepting refugees the outcomes are largely positive.

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank
Hi AusPol. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

Tangent - a friend on Facebook wrote:

His argument is that exemption should not be made for religious garments (remember those men who were denied sitting in Parliamentary Pubic Gallery because they were wearing KKK hood/motorcycle helmet), because religion is comprised of an arbitrary belief system*. He argues that if you allow for religious exemption for articles of clothing, then you should also allow for religious exemption for other things, such as vaccines (his example).

I believe that you can exempt clothing, because in my opinion it's not an 'arbitrary' belief system - it is built upon centuries of thought process and decision making which has led that particular religion to where it is today. On the other hand, I am against exemption for vaccines for religious reasons - most of the science performed to date has a statistically favourable outcome for vaccination vs non-vaccination. I believe it is better for humanity as a whole to vaccinate those who can be vaccinated (only exemption being health reasons), regardless of whatever beliefs you hold.

I know that is a horrible thing to say, because I believe in bodily autonomy, and forcing vaccination (discouraging anti-vaxxers by denying benefits is as good as 'forcing' for me, and ultimately it's the child who suffers) upon those who do not want it is wrong. How can I reconcile these two beliefs?

*He argues that if the helmet wearer is security screened and checks out ok, then he should be allowed to sit in in the Parliamentary Public Gallery, just as those who wear religious garments are allowed. I argue that the helmet is not a core piece of identity for the wearer - the absence of their helmet doesn't affect their identity as a person and they're just wanting attention for being a unique snowflake. He argues that 'what if the helmet suddenly does become part of their identity - similar to how you have 'born-again Christians', or people who convert faiths'; to which I have no response.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
you should tell him to stop reading r/atheism

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Well done. I was definitely saying that was a thing that happened and not using a scenario for illustrative purposes to show how you don't need to hear a phone conversation between Canberra and the Captain to understand something is political. I am undone.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
while the correct response is "you're a fuckwit" it probably doesnt help much.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Imagine the kind of boot-licking authoritarian government knob jockey you have to be to think there's no possibility of an ulterior motive to a department stopping the release of information but to claim that whistleblowers might as well be 4chan posters :allears:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Imagine the kind of boot-licking authoritarian government knob jockey you have to be to think there's no possibility of an ulterior motive to a department stopping the release of information but to claim that whistleblowers might as well be 4chan posters :allears:

An Australian

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

One of the greatest myths Australia has managed to perpetuate is that we're super laidback and have an anti-authoritarian streak. The diggers wouldn't salute the British officers at Gallipoli, ha ha, good on those bloody legends eh! *literally runs concentration camps*

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

One of the greatest myths Australia has managed to perpetuate is that we're super laidback and have an anti-authoritarian streak. The diggers wouldn't salute the British officers at Gallipoli, ha ha, good on those bloody legends eh! *literally runs concentration camps*

At least they make the RBA rate decreases run on time

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Cartoon posted:

There is no 'unrestricted movement' into our country

Because of policy like Operation Sovereign Borders, yes

quote:

and after decades of accepting refugees the outcomes are largely positive.

Because we adhere to a policy when we select, process and relocate them and don't just allow anyone with a boat to rock up. That's the point. You think we'd still have positive outcomes if we allowed a free for all where anyone who arrived on a boat was settled here? I hope not.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Zahki posted:

Because of policy like Operation Sovereign Borders, yes

Because we adhere to a policy when we select, process and relocate them and don't just allow anyone with a boat to rock up. That's the point. You think we'd still have positive outcomes if we allowed a free for all where anyone who arrived on a boat was settled here? I hope not.

Still waiting for you to source your 6000 cap number by the way

Or is your point that the 13750 cap is clearly too many and results in adverse societal outcomes like your posting

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zahki posted:

Australia doesnt allow anyone with a boat to just rock up and gain access and that noone is suggesting that. Not one person. If an asylum seeker is deemed to be a refugee, then they should have access. If not, they can go home.

What bit of that do you not understand?

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

If an asylum seeker is deemed to be a refugee, then they should have access. If not, they can go home.

So you think we should settle a potentially unlimited number of refugees here if they arrive by boat. Probably not a good idea.

quote:

Or is your point that the 13750 cap

I thought I already pointed out that refugees are only a subset of the humanitarian arrivals. The refugee quota has remained fairly stable at around ~6000 for a decade, which is a pretty good indication of how many people we have the capability of settling here on an annual basis.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
if even a single refugee makes it to our virgin shores unassaulted we have failed our poop flinging crusader ancestors

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

if you actually believe that the executive government has engaged in a massive campaign of deliberately deceiving the public about the arrival of boats and instructed the navy not to rescue people from drowning then ... posting about it on the internet is definitely the best thing you can do, you impotent piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Zahki posted:

So you think we should settle a potentially unlimited number of refugees here if they arrive by boat. Probably not a good idea.

I thought I already pointed out that refugees are only a subset of the humanitarian arrivals. The refugee quota has remained fairly stable at around ~6000 for a decade, which is a pretty good indication of how many people we have the capability of settling here on an annual basis.

it was shocking to learn that the only thing that's literally infinite in our universe was refugees but my guess of dark matter was close imo

• Locked thread