Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Benne posted:

Honestly, I feel the same. Never got into Hogan as a kid, and even when I started to get his appeal as an adult he just did nothing for me.

I think Hogan was only really magic if your primary memories of him were from the mid-to-late 80's. The manic promos and gnashing of teeth were amazing, and his puffy roid look made him seem enormous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Hogan was almost a mythical figure back then. If you only watched the syndicated shows, you'd never see him wrestle. Through the commentary, interview segments and the video packages you'd know he was the man but unless you could stay up late on Saturdays you'd never actually see him wrestle. This really helped him seem like a big deal.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Hogan was almost a mythical figure back then. If you only watched the syndicated shows, you'd never see him wrestle. Through the commentary, interview segments and the video packages you'd know he was the man but unless you could stay up late on Saturdays you'd never actually see him wrestle. This really helped him seem like a big deal.

This is so true. Prior to his WCW days I can only recall 2 matches of his, Andre the Giant and Ultimate Warrior. I have specific memories of watching them as a child. WIth them being huge, iconic matches it helped to build him in my memory.

Unfortunately, all his WCW matches make me recall how bad he was at wrestling.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

RZApublican posted:

The 90s owned

I never noticed because of the colour of his trousers, but he's wearing a bum bag.

Perfection.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Now find that picture of fat Jimmy Hart eating a cheeseburger on a street corner with Hogan next to him

Can't find it either but here's Jimmy Hart surveying his domain

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

pathetic little tramp posted:

ˆˆˆˆDo you mean Max Moon? I think that was Konnan.

Nah man

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."
as a kid I was totally a Hulkamaniac. When you're that young it's a lot easier to let yourself go in the narrative of this crazy larger than life good guy getting absolutely DEMOLISHED for 95% of the match but overcoming the odds (lol) in the end to triumph over evil. The dude sold a beating great and by the time 2 minutes were gone in a match and his thin, hanging-on-by-threads hair was sweat-soaked and pathetic and he was bogged down in rest-hold after rest-hold, it literally looked like an unfair beatdown of some tired old dude. Heenan screaming with glee that THIS TIME Hulk Hogan was dying for good and Monsoon going on about literal Pearl Harbor jobs and it all intersected in a perfect space to make this dude THE dude.

Thinking back, I really wonder how much his mystique and popularity was maintained/enhanced thanks to that terrific commentary team. At any rate, Hulkamania ruled.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/WWEUniverse/status/659768928864980992

@WWEUniverse 7m7 minutes ago
#TBT for #NationalCatDay: RT if you remember #WCW's #WildcatWillie! #MondayNitro

RIP in peace Wildcat Willy

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I am disappointed. I've seen pictures of the Hogan War Bonnet. I assumed since it was an anti-baldness measure, he also wrestled in it. I then watched the Bad News Brown match.

He did not. A little of my soul died today.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Ahahah Farooq Mega Man. What was his character/storyline? I was real young when I first saw him beat the poo poo out of Ahmed Johnson.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

iLikeMidgets posted:

Ahahah Farooq Mega Man. What was his character/storyline? I was real young when I first saw him beat the poo poo out of Ahmed Johnson. (Unless I remembered things differently)

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

iLikeMidgets posted:

Ahahah Farooq Mega Man. What was his character/storyline? I was real young when I first saw him beat the poo poo out of Ahmed Johnson.

I believe he was a gladiator. Gladiator maybe with a capital G

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

UpfrontSalmon posted:

I believe he was a gladiator. Gladiator maybe with a capital G

Gladiator came out a few years after that gimmick. I can't think of anything in pop culture that would have inspired Faarooq Asad...big-budget, epic historical films were not in vogue then. This was a year after Cutthroat Island had killed pirate movies for several years.

Oddly, the helmet was made by the same guy who made the Mankind mask.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Bear witness to the fitness of the modern warrior worker

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Benne posted:

Honestly, I feel the same. Never got into Hogan as a kid, and even when I started to get his appeal as an adult he just did nothing for me.
People sometimes forget that, in the 80s, Hogan would make the heels look really strong and scary and dangerous. He would bump around and sell their finishers and basically take an enormous whipping before coming back with the power of Hulkamania. By the 90s he didn't bother for the most part and by the 2000s he was too old and banged up to make anyone look good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hollywood Hogan was the peak of Hogan, it was an incredible character that he played to perfection (and was probably a reflection of who he really is, to an extent.)

Who cares if the matches weren't good? Hogan matches almost never were, everything else was fantastic.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Hollywood Hogan really was the best phase of his career and it fit WCW perfectly because from what I can tell, he was never super over as a face in WCW.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

iLikeMidgets posted:

His manager was Sunny. He feuded with Ahmed for a bit. He and Sunny parted ways amicably and then he formed the Nation and ditched the goofy gear but continued to feud with Ahmed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hollywood was a tremendous character and I thought the facial hair dyed black was the coolest thing in the world.

i still do

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Hollywood Hogan was the peak of Hogan, it was an incredible character that he played to perfection (and was probably a reflection of who he really is, to an extent.)

Who cares if the matches weren't good? Hogan matches almost never were, everything else was fantastic.

Yeah, compared the the shadow of himself that poor Bret Hart became in WCW, The Woodmaster did inject a lot of insane energy into the promotion at the time. His backstage politics may have killed the company in time but I'll admit it's very entertaining when he's on screen. As a heel he felt more authentic to himself than when he ever played a face.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Halloween Jack posted:

Gladiator came out a few years after that gimmick. I can't think of anything in pop culture that would have inspired Faarooq Asad...big-budget, epic historical films were not in vogue then. This was a year after Cutthroat Island had killed pirate movies for several years.

Oddly, the helmet was made by the same guy who made the Mankind mask.

Not that oddly.
Disclaimer: I don't know how things usually work in this kind of design industry so maybe I'm not being fair.
If you've ever seen the concept sketches for the mankind mask and other outfits you'd come to the conclusion that the WWF/E's ring gear designer is/was a 6th grader. (I differentiate because most of the sketches I've seen come from stuff from the WWF's days, when ring gear was a little more elaborate and outlandish).

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The idea that you could bring in Mr. WWF as a face and have him loving bury Mr. NWA/WCW as a heel and expect him to be over as the ultraface with your fans was amazing. Thank god they were smart enough to have him go heel with the nWo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The idea that you could bring in Mr. WWF as a face and have him loving bury Mr. NWA/WCW as a heel and expect him to be over as the ultraface with your fans was amazing. Thank god they were smart enough to have him go heel with the nWo

Interestingly enough they had a backup plan if he got cold feet about turning heel, I think Luger was supposed to turn on Team WCW, I believe.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

As far as Woody goes. His heel promos were kind of ridiculous and meandering. His matches were bad. The legdrop is like the opposite of the diamond cutter; it better not come out of nowhere because if it does, it's easy to forget that it's Hogan's finisher. Like at least twice I've seen Hogan hit the leg drop as a heel and it took me a few seconds to realize "oh yeah, that's his finisher." But Hogan was really not unique in this regard. Of WCW's Main Event scene, the best wrestler was freaking Sting, and he sat out for almost a year and a half. There were a bunch of 40-somethings with a billion miles of wear and tear in various stages of apathy, there was not a good match to be found there no matter how you mixed the pot. So singling out Hogan for that is a little unfair.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Woody is fun to look back on but so much of hollywood hogan is desperate nonsense that even hot 90's crowds seem to tire of 5 minutes in while the rest of the nwo in the ring tries to act like they're paying attention. It's enjoyable to watch in hindsight but week in and week out i cannot imagine sitting though another rambling promo about nothing when maybe I could watch Steve Austin stun someone on the other channel.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Interestingly enough they had a backup plan if he got cold feet about turning heel, I think Luger was supposed to turn on Team WCW, I believe.

Kevin Sullivan's said the problem wasn't convincing Hogan to do the heel turn, it was all his idiot buddies he surrounded himself with that were trying to convince him to creative control his way out of it because they thought it would bankrupt him and kill his (nonexistent) drawing power. He had to keep him isolated and let him stay over at his house just to make sure he didn't get any ideas from them. But yeah, if Hogan said no way, brother, the third man would have been the kayfabe injured Luger.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

As far as Woody goes. His heel promos were kind of ridiculous and meandering. His matches were bad. The legdrop is like the opposite of the diamond cutter; it better not come out of nowhere because if it does, it's easy to forget that it's Hogan's finisher. Like at least twice I've seen Hogan hit the leg drop as a heel and it took me a few seconds to realize "oh yeah, that's his finisher." But Hogan was really not unique in this regard. Of WCW's Main Event scene, the best wrestler was freaking Sting, and he sat out for almost a year and a half. There were a bunch of 40-somethings with a billion miles of wear and tear in various stages of apathy, there was not a good match to be found there no matter how you mixed the pot. So singling out Hogan for that is a little unfair.

Goldberg/DDP was great
DDP dragged Karl Malone, Hogan, and Dennis Rodman into a shockingly watchable match
Hart/Goldberg was watchable
Hart/Benoit for the Owen memorial on Nitro was the best free match they ever did and their rematch at Mayhem was great too
Flair/Sting was always money and the crowd loved it every time, even as Vince and Shane closed out the last Nitro.
Flair/Hart in WCW was also good

Plus this is just the main eventers, the cruiser weights were doing insane matches every Nitro.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

Woody is fun to look back on but so much of hollywood hogan is desperate nonsense that even hot 90's crowds seem to tire of 5 minutes in while the rest of the nwo in the ring tries to act like they're paying attention. It's enjoyable to watch in hindsight but week in and week out i cannot imagine sitting though another rambling promo about nothing when maybe I could watch Steve Austin stun someone on the other channel.

I read this and instantly thought of the Waco promo. Jesus, utter insanity.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This has been said before and often, but that era WCW was great to watch if you ignored the main event.

There was insane "conspiracy" Jericho, there was Rey Rey, Psychosis, Juvie, Eddie and Malenko tearing it up, there was Raven, there were some insanly silly and fun angles, (Pepe, Disco Inferno tying to join the Wolfpac, Screaming Norman Smiley etc.)

But apart from Goldberg and maybe DDP the main event was old men wasting time and shuffling about endlessly fighting each other in boring permutations for no real reason.

It didn't help that during the awesome undercard matches the commentary would only talk about Hogan and what Hogan was going to do in the Main. But if you tuned that out, then you had a fun wrestling show.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
One thing I'll say about the main event scene was Paul Wight was in by far the best shape of his life, and seemed to give a poo poo even when his buddies didn't. His chokeslam at the time was loving boss.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I just watched Louis Theroux's special on wrestling from back in the day. Does anyone else know about this? If so who was the short guy working Louis over at the power plant?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

I just watched Louis Theroux's special on wrestling from back in the day. Does anyone else know about this? If so who was the short guy working Louis over at the power plant?

"Sarge" DeWayne Bruce. Also the guy credited (on screen at least) with training Goldberg.

He was the head trainer at the Power Plant and from all accounts a real dick.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Benne posted:

One thing I'll say about the main event scene was Paul Wight was in by far the best shape of his life, and seemed to give a poo poo even when his buddies didn't. His chokeslam at the time was loving boss.

HE was in great shape until I think sometime in mid-late 97. By late 98 he had checked out almost completely, having gained 100 lbs over the previous year (probably because Nash killed him with a powerbomb and he realized "hey this guy does nothing and gets paid, hmm")

DynamiteKidd fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 30, 2015

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

1st AD posted:

Goldberg/DDP was great
DDP dragged Karl Malone, Hogan, and Dennis Rodman into a shockingly watchable match
Hart/Goldberg was watchable
Hart/Benoit for the Owen memorial on Nitro was the best free match they ever did and their rematch at Mayhem was great too
Flair/Sting was always money and the crowd loved it every time, even as Vince and Shane closed out the last Nitro.
Flair/Hart in WCW was also good

Plus this is just the main eventers, the cruiser weights were doing insane matches every Nitro.

DDP and Goldberg completely overachieved. I'll admit kinda did DDP a discredit by not including him and probably putting him above Sting. I always love the idea that Bischoff, having 100 wrestlers on the payroll and a bunch of 40-something established stars in the main event, chose basically one guy to actually rise to the main event and that guy was another 40 something. I kinda think either Bischoff thought the Y2K virus was going to end the world or he knew the company didn't have legs so he basically threw up his arms and said 'gently caress the future.'
No he didn't. That match of 20 minutes of boring bullshit and front chanceries. The Leno match the next match was better and that was pretty bad too.
We haven't gotten to that point yet, but the idea that a match being 'watchable' is the problem. Your main events shouldn't strive for 'watchable'.
Benoit didn't get those opportunities until it was too late.
Ric Flair has yet to wrestle a match in 1998.

So yeah, moral to the story: Just assume the main event slot is the WCW equivalent of an infomercial and check out early.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This has been said before and often, but that era WCW was great to watch if you ignored the main event.

There was insane "conspiracy" Jericho, there was Rey Rey, Psychosis, Juvie, Eddie and Malenko tearing it up, there was Raven, there were some insanly silly and fun angles, (Pepe, Disco Inferno tying to join the Wolfpac, Screaming Norman Smiley etc.)
I still don't know why everyone hates Disco Inferno so much in the Tuesday Nitro chat. I gather he did stuff in TNA that everyone hated? And he has silly opinions about how wrestling should be silly, but those opinions also include "Who cares if a guy isn't big? This is fake."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He's a perfectly fine undercard guy. The problem is that he thinks he's a genius when he's in fact a total maroon and goes around offering his booking insights when he was on the WCW booking committee for a week before getting laughed off it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Luigi Thirty posted:

he's in fact a total maroon and goes around offering his booking insights when he was on the WCW booking committee for a week before getting laughed off it.
I'm sure his booking ideas are horrible, but that's probably not a great example of why. Was this committee the one run by Kevin Nash that was writing the last half of the show while the first half was airing?

NorgLyle posted:

People sometimes forget that, in the 80s, Hogan would make the heels look really strong and scary and dangerous. He would bump around and sell their finishers and basically take an enormous whipping before coming back with the power of Hulkamania.

oatgan posted:

Woody is fun to look back on but so much of hollywood hogan is desperate nonsense that even hot 90's crowds seem to tire of 5 minutes in while the rest of the nwo in the ring tries to act like they're paying attention.
Hogan could still get people riled up with his promos when he had something to talk about, but otherwise he would go on way too long and say "brother" and "jack" way too many times. I would still take them over any long HHH promos, which are similarly self-aggrandizing nonsense but without any of the fun MST3K factor of Hogan claiming that all the real niggaz in tha Hood call him Wood. I wouldn't take it over Austin, though, and I hated Austin.

As for the wrestling, it's weird that Hogan got lazier and lazier with his style, while still using a finisher that was really hard on his hip and back.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Hogan could still get people riled up with his promos when he had something to talk about, but otherwise he would go on way too long and say "brother" and "jack" way too many times. I would still take them over any long HHH promos, which are similarly self-aggrandizing nonsense but without any of the fun MST3K factor of Hogan claiming that all the real niggaz in tha Hood call him Wood. I wouldn't take it over Austin, though, and I hated Austin.

It's funny but I didn't really like or get Austin's character as a kid until he turned heel. Bald angry redneck did not resonate with me and I'd mostly just get irritated when he'd gently caress with/chairshot other faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sure his booking ideas are horrible, but that's probably not a great example of why. Was this committee the one run by Kevin Nash that was writing the last half of the show while the first half was airing?

As for the wrestling, it's weird that Hogan got lazier and lazier with his style, while still using a finisher that was really hard on his hip and back.

The Legdrop is one of worst finishers in history just due to the fact that it looks less devastating than it actually is. Of course it's devastating on the guy doing it, but devastating is devastating.

Halloween Jack posted:

I still don't know why everyone hates Disco Inferno so much in the Tuesday Nitro chat. I gather he did stuff in TNA that everyone hated? And he has silly opinions about how wrestling should be silly, but those opinions also include "Who cares if a guy isn't big? This is fake."

For me it's the 'this guy is getting way too much screen time for an unfunny comedy character in a company with a 100 man roster.'

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 30, 2015