Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Afaik he is still in talks with lawyers, or he may have just backed down / realized there wasn't any money in it. The dude likes attention but the conspiracy stuff around him was pretty dumb and purposefully ignored the fact that he's an actual, licensed, practicing surgeon who has been publishing literature in his field for at least a decade.

Or the literature was published by a Konami shell company under the name Sergio Gurlukovich Canavero. And his think tank is called the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group or TANG. And what space-ready drink was developed by DARPA/Patriots? One and the same.

Makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

We have to ask ourselves the real questions here - Who makes M&Ms?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Veering from death of the author to death of sanity here.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So when does Kaz find out V isnt Boss. my guess is probaly near the end of the game or afterward. in the truth tapes, Zero never mentions the whole body double plan to him. So i dont think he knows at least in the beginning. he might have suspisions but he basicaly gets so caught up in his blood vengence against cipher and then his spy hunts, that he doesnt care.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So when does Kaz find out V isnt Boss. my guess is probaly near the end of the game or afterward. in the truth tapes, Zero never mentions the whole body double plan to him. So i dont think he knows at least in the beginning. he might have suspisions but he basicaly gets so caught up in his blood vengence against cipher and then his spy hunts, that he doesnt care.

I think Ocelot's hypnosis wears out around the same time Venom realizes the Truth, and then Ocelot briefed Kaz. Or Venom confides in the two after listening to the tape.

There's nothing to actually back up either idea, though.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I was assuming around the end of the game, a little after Venom finds out himself, but in his talk after Shining Lights Even in Death, when he's talking about how this whole revenge craziness was dumb and Venom stayed sane and knew they were never going to get back what they lost, one thing he says is, "Anta koso Big Boss da." That koso is interesting. It puts the emphasis on "you," as in, "you, and not somebody else."

Disclaimer: my Japanese is crappy and I could be full of poo poo.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I always assumed Kaz found out sometime after the ending, just because that way he has more reason to be pissed. I'd be a little hurt if my brother-in-arms and fellow wronged person duped me into questing for revenge with an impostor because he had some sort of bigger better plan that I didn't get to know about.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

acksplode posted:

I always assumed Kaz found out sometime after the ending, just because that way he has more reason to be pissed. I'd be a little hurt if my brother-in-arms and fellow wronged person duped me into questing for revenge with an impostor because he had some sort of bigger better plan that I didn't get to know about.
Don't forget the "impostor" is one of his own men, a man he saw as a brother in arms and who he thought Big Boss saw the same way.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

The day diamond dog stop posting in this thread is the day metal gear is finally dead forever, never stop posting diamond dog

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
In case anybody hasn't seen what it looks like this is supposedly the only building on 10th ave that fits Paz's description of Zero's location:

I'm ready to fly to NYC tomorrow I just need a rich kid goon to bankroll the mission, bail, etc. Can supply own turtleneck.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Now you're just being obvious

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I don't remember getting the COVENANT emblem

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
whatever do you mean

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

EngineerSean posted:

I don't remember getting the COVENANT emblem

obviously you're just not devoted to the cause. you unlock it once you perfect stealth the actual office building

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

VileLL posted:

obviously you're just not devoted to the cause. you unlock it once you perfect stealth the actual office building

If you are doing subsistence, you can steal a shotgun from a cop car to shoot the communications equipment

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
If Ocelot doesn't even know what breed D Dog is, how does he know how big he'll get?

Why does Huey insist D Dog is a wolf? Why is Hueys neck spared from Venom's cold mechanical fist wrapping around it?

"KAZ STOP! your one remaining hand is far too weak to choke Huey properly! Let me do it."

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Panfilo posted:

If Ocelot doesn't even know what breed D Dog is, how does he know how big he'll get?

Why does Huey insist D Dog is a wolf?

His puppy paw pads were an indicator. He's a dog, damnit. Don't listen to Huey.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Panfilo posted:

Why does Huey insist D Dog is a wolf?

Because you don't find domesticated puppies in the middle of Afganistan. Also because he's a wolf.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A big theme in TPP is people lying about who they are, or being in denial about their true personality. People think Venom Snake is Big Boss, the Diamond Dogs don't realize they're a bad cult of kidnappers and torturers, Ocelot's self-hypnotism, Quiet pretends to be mute, everything about Huey etc. D-Dog actually being a wolf despite what everyone says is just a larger part of this idea, and a pretty thinly-veiled metaphor for the nature of the Diamond Dogs organization itself.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Raxivace posted:

A big theme in TPP is people lying about who they are, or being in denial about their true personality. People think Venom Snake is Big Boss, the Diamond Dogs don't realize they're a bad cult of kidnappers and torturers, Ocelot's self-hypnotism, Quiet pretends to be mute, everything about Huey etc. D-Dog actually being a wolf despite what everyone says is just a larger part of this idea.
D-Dog is not in denial about his true personality, he's a good boy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

D-Dog is not in denial about his true personality, he's a good boy.

He works for a band of mercenaries. He is, in fact, a wolf and also a bad boy. He probably pees on the rugs at Mother Base too.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

D-Dog is an animal and lacks the capacity for distinguishing between right and wrong. He follows his masters' orders obediently and that's all that matters. He is a good boy and the fact that he's trained and used as a weapon of war and weird flip-spin-knife-murder is beyond his control.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Raxivace posted:

He works for a band of mercenaries. He is, in fact, a wolf and also a bad boy. He probably pees on the rugs at Mother Base too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's either before V wakes up or after V rescues Miller really early in the game. One of the tapes that unlocks after the Truth mission makes it pretty obvious. Ocelot tells Miller about Zero's V plan and one the line is Miller saying "It looks like we better start learning to coexist" which heavily implies that this is before they start working together in MSF v2.0.

I finished the game only a couple days ago and I just now got tired of waiting for Chapter 3 to unlock and came in here only to find out that, welp, it doesn't exist! I looked up the mission 51 summary and that was cool but I'm really bummed that the game isn't finished.

Oh also I know it's probably been said a million times but I've been waiting weeks to say this: Hey Kojima, written language and sign language exist. Also people can invent new languages. You're an idiot. Love your game though! It's really fun to play.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Colapops posted:

D-Dog is an animal and lacks the capacity for distinguishing between right and wrong. He follows his masters' orders obediently and that's all that matters. He is a good boy and the fact that he's trained and used as a weapon of war and weird flip-spin-knife-murder is beyond his control.

Much like venom, who also isn't allowed indoors.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh also I know it's probably been said a million times but I've been waiting weeks to say this: Hey Kojima, written language and sign language exist. Also people can invent new languages. You're an idiot. Love your game though! It's really fun to play.

The intention is that the parasites would spread and kill off a giant percentage of the English speaking population before they'd even realize the language to parasite link. Even then, if English speakers were to communicate through text and sign language, they would either start a new language or move on to another one. Skull Face hates the English language, and the parasites would be capable of erasing it, and fast. One of the first quotes in the game is how we don't inhabit nationalities, but instead language.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah, Skull Face's point is not to kill all humans, it is to eradicate one of the world's largest languages and one of the major languages tied to the Western world. It's basically raising a giant middle finger at a language symbolic of a wave of cultural assimilation across countries and continents, so he can let it crumble into dust and let nations go back to the roots of their languages. That would, in turn, redirect nations who have been somewhat assimilated into much of a "world culture" toward their native roots.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A DIAMOD DOGS THREAD

Not for Fun

Not for Sanity

Why are we still here, just to shitpost? Every night I can feel the battle gear, and the dynamic base events, even the boss fights. The chapters I've lost. The content I've lost, won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our game.

Not for Decency

ONLY FOR REVENGE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who could have such a lust for posting?! WHOOOOOOOOOOOO?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I hear a lot of complaints about chapter 2 but I kind of like that you see even the staff slowly turn against Miller and he puts up BIG BOSS IS WATCHING posters everywhere

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
this is the real chapter 2 and I am the protagonist
--diamond "was right" the dogg

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I finished the game only a couple days ago and I just now got tired of waiting for Chapter 3 to unlock and came in here only to find out that, welp, it doesn't exist! I looked up the mission 51 summary and that was cool but I'm really bummed that the game isn't finished.
Even Famitsu is now saying there's probably more coming plot-wise. I'm not about to fly to New York and break into Hell's Kitchen but I'm having fun keeping tabs on the whole thing - even if nothing comes of it and the neverbegameover people are predictably insane, Kojima/Konami are obviously encouraging speculation and participation, and it's fun imo

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Even Famitsu is now saying there's probably more coming plot-wise. I'm not about to fly to New York and break into Hell's Kitchen but I'm having fun keeping tabs on the whole thing - even if nothing comes of it and the neverbegameover people are predictably insane, Kojima/Konami are obviously encouraging speculation and participation, and it's fun imo

I don't believe any of this poo poo, and I especially don't believe that 51 will ever exist, but games these days don't come out without DLC plans so I do expect an equally disappointing mission 52 or whatever.

EDIT: Emphasis on disappointing. Nothing they do can really "save" it for anyone who's not satisfied with what the game is.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm not expecting any story DLC, but it wouldn't surprise me if we got a mission pack with more old missions with the three difficulty modifiers.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm not expecting any story DLC, but it wouldn't surprise me if we got a mission pack with more old missions with the three difficulty modifiers.

Or just one mission with one cutscene about the man on fire running amock again and with a stupid cutscene at the end that resolves nothing. But I actually would enjoy another man on fire boss battle if it's designed well.

EDIT: Any DLC would very likely just be gameplay. And that's okay cause this loving game is about gameplay. We've overestimated Kojima's commitment to his wacky stories and that's our fault.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

In It For The Tank posted:

There are a bunch of removed code for about 8 old missions with difficulty modifers left in the game files so you're probably right.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

death .cab for qt posted:

Yeah, Skull Face's point is not to kill all humans, it is to eradicate one of the world's largest languages and one of the major languages tied to the Western world. It's basically raising a giant middle finger at a language symbolic of a wave of cultural assimilation across countries and continents, so he can let it crumble into dust and let nations go back to the roots of their languages. That would, in turn, redirect nations who have been somewhat assimilated into much of a "world culture" toward their native roots.

I understand all of that. I was mostly talking about Quiet. Instead of stalking DD troops individually and trying to cut out their tongues, she could've written a note on a piece of paper or mimed that she can identify infected troops and helped DD understand what's going on. She could've drawn a loving picture.

Kojima spend tons of time explaining, in way too much detail, exactly how the parasites work and where they come from, then completely ignores all the easy ways around the restriction of speaking a language out loud.

Then there's the amazingly stupid poo poo like Quiet getting hit with a tank shell, drying out in the sandstorm, then being perfectly fine once BB is in trouble. He literally just tosses away and ignores a huge piece of tension when it's no longer convenient. Thanks for all the excruciating details on biotech though!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

I understand all of that. I was mostly talking about Quiet. Instead of stalking DD troops individually and trying to cut out their tongues, she could've written a note on a piece of paper or mimed that she can identify infected troops and helped DD understand what's going on. She could've drawn a loving picture.

Kojima spend tons of time explaining, in way too much detail, exactly how the parasites work and where they come from, then completely ignores all the easy ways around the restriction of speaking a language out loud.

Then there's the amazingly stupid poo poo like Quiet getting hit with a tank shell, drying out in the sandstorm, then being perfectly fine once BB is in trouble. He literally just tosses away and ignores a huge piece of tension when it's no longer convenient. Thanks for all the excruciating details on biotech though!

You don't understand the story at all, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

You don't understand the story at all, actually.

Care to explain then?

• Locked thread