Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Is that accurate because I was pretty sure in the film the camera passes behind someone first

Annoyingly enough somebody does cross in front of the camera a quarter second before that gif starts in order to get into position to set the head down for this shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lady Naga posted:

It's accurate, ol' man Ridley on commentary even brags about how good it looks.

Ooof, that's bad.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Ridley Scott is notoriously self-absorbed. But like, in a really fun way.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I actually liked Prometheus, hth

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Prometheus is fun, Ridley smugging it up on commentary is even more fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmPcj-_bBYE

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Prometheus is a pretty good movie if you ignore the Alien links and the obvious plot holes.

I'm not even being sarcastic. I think its a dumb plot with some gigantic holes that make no sense, but I still enjoyed it in the theater and wasn't as bothered as most people.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Prometheus is fun, Ridley smugging it up on commentary is even more fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmPcj-_bBYE

This is amazing :3: "SHUT THE gently caress UP, eh bleep me I guess if you want"

I didn't mind the Aliens connections in Prometheus. Yeah they made an alien at the end and we had seen the picture of the alien queen before that but that doesn't mean they were implying the alien at the end was the first xenomorph. My favourite plothole is when they see their horribly mutated crew member outside the ship with his spine bent over his head and they are all like "hey buddy, you ok?"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My favorite oversight is how the geologist mapping engineer guy who has flying auto-mapping robot drones which instantly build a 3D map of the environment just ups and gets lost on the way back.

And then when everybody else gets back to the buggy before the guys who left first, nobody thinks "well that's weird, why didn't they beat us here?" :v:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hahaha ah yeah and the bit with the penis vagina snake, who the gently caress would pet that?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I think the movie makes its position on natural selection clear.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Scientists travel to alien world "oh hey there's oxygen let's take our helmets off"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

Hahaha ah yeah and the bit with the penis vagina snake, who the gently caress would pet that?

when you view the voyage as fake science voyage as an excuse to get Waylan to the Engineers alot of stuff starts to make sense. You'd have to be a really stupid biologist to pet a penis vagina snake, but why waste money on a good biologist? Just get a stupid one for dirt cheap we'll probably end up leaving him there anyway. More money we can spend on an intergalactic Nettlix account so the robot can watch old timey movies.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

when you view the voyage as fake science voyage as an excuse to get Waylan to the Engineers alot of stuff starts to make sense. You'd have to be a really stupid biologist to pet a penis vagina snake, but why waste money on a good biologist? Just get a stupid one for dirt cheap we'll probably end up leaving him there anyway. More money we can spend on an intergalactic Nettlix account so the robot can watch old timey movies.

Hahaha that is a p funny interpretation! However I think even a grade 0 thickasuarus primitive reptile brain would be screaming "GET THAT loving AWAY FROM US, GEOFFREY"

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
As usual, Damon Lindelof is to blame for loving up another script with poo poo that doesn't make any god-drat sense.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Prometheus.

Take off your helmets on an alien world!
Insult the only android and person who is awake to run the ship while you loving sleep.
Touch alien life forms!
Use Frankenstein technology to make an alien head dance!
Don't ever QT anything!
Hey two crew members are missing! Oh well, let's see if the hot blonde chick is a robot.
KILL IT WITH FIRE. Actually, that was the only proper piece of the movie where the crew wasn't insanely dumb.
Alien abortion?
Hey father of our species, I demand you make me not old anymore! I demand it! Instead of, you know, spending all this money to put my mind in a new body.
Do I want to know what that starfish facehugger's embryo implanter looked like?
Okay rich old dude, you are loving lucky David didn't just kill everyone on the ship, abort the mission, and go looking for space fembots.

In Jurassic World, the lady in all white, whatever the gently caress her position was, I am trying to figure out just how that suit kept so loving white. And how she outran a T-rex in high heels. I can barely stand in heels, I need to up my loving game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tbf androids are supposed to be chill as gently caress and not emotional

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Office (and similar shows) gets a lot of poo poo for their mockumentary formats, but I felt that it really pulled it off well and used it in clever ways. At least....until the last season, when it goes from a framing device to slapping you in the face with it every episode. And then the whole thing falls apart, because it really throws into focus all the times that the documentary format doesn't make any sense. They really had cameras set up in Jim's hotel room when the cute brunette was trying to seduce him?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It would have been fine if they never aired the documentary and just quietly dropped that part of it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I liked The Flash. But the number of times the guy who can outrun a bullet got punched in the face because he stopped to talk to the obviously bad person was ridiculous.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

EmmyOk posted:

It would have been fine if they never aired the documentary and just quietly dropped that part of it.

They also need to cut out the whole plot with the boom mic operator dude. In a show that thrived on cringe-inducing awkwardness that whole arc just made me feel embarrassed for the whole cast.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

syscall girl posted:

"Hey wake up, it's two in the morning and we need to fight baddies"

*shines flashlight directly in face*

"Also we need to wear these night vision goggles, they blind our opponents with green light and a strange high-pitched noise"

"Let's do some covert ops"

Not just this, but the recurring idea in movies, games and books that the hero can simply surprise a NVG wearing enemy by shining a bright light on them, which causes them to drop and paw at their burned eyeballs. Night vision doesn't work that way. Sure, you'd white out their vision but they're still just looking at a whited out video screen a few inches in front of their eyes. It wouldn't physically hurt anyone.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wild T posted:

Not just this, but the recurring idea in movies, games and books that the hero can simply surprise a NVG wearing enemy by shining a bright light on them, which causes them to drop and paw at their burned eyeballs. Night vision doesn't work that way. Sure, you'd white out their vision but they're still just looking at a whited out video screen a few inches in front of their eyes. It wouldn't physically hurt anyone.

Same thing with those sound enhancing headphones.

The sound of someone walking on gravel is incredible loud but once you start shooting it's blissfully quiet.

Still amazed about those things.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

As usual, Damon Lindelof is to blame for loving up another script with poo poo that doesn't make any god-drat sense.

You can't really blame Lindelof for the Prometheus script, it was even more of a hot mess before he got his hands on it. David joins the Engineers and starts thinking in trinary in stead of binary, Jesus was an Engineer who gets crucified in a flashback and the penis vagina snakes go up a lot of dude's butts.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

You can't really blame Lindelof for the Prometheus script, it was even more of a hot mess before he got his hands on it. David joins the Engineers and starts thinking in trinary in stead of binary, Jesus was an Engineer who gets crucified in a flashback and the penis vagina snakes go up a lot of dude's butts.

Ternary, furthermore :goonsay:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

I liked The Flash. But the number of times the guy who can outrun a bullet got punched in the face because he stopped to talk to the obviously bad person was ridiculous.

I just watched all of season one this week, and by far the most irritating thing I have ever seen is when somebody pepper sprays the flash.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Wild T posted:

Shinning a bright light at an NVG tube has a good enough chance to damage the thing, and most will just shut off to mitigate said damage. It won't physically hurt you but you'll have to take off the NVG and be mostly blind until you get some natural night vision back.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ignite Memories posted:

I just watched all of season one this week, and by far the most irritating thing I have ever seen is when somebody pepper sprays the flash.

He's just so excited to have his powers that his arrogance gets the better of him. His reflexive Speed Force is a lot better in season 2. Flash owns aside from the contrite love plot

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Not really sure all these are fair (I liked Prometheus).

quote:

Take off your helmets on an alien world!

From memory most of them did protest this and it was the hippy/archeologist guy who did it first, not someone who would know better. They did all end up doing it though so :shrug:

quote:

Insult the only android and person who is awake to run the ship while you loving sleep.

David doesn't have emotions / isn't a real person. Insult him all you want.

quote:

Touch alien life forms!

Well, they did come all that way to make contact with aliens. Was a quite dumb though.

quote:

Use Frankenstein technology to make an alien head dance!

I didn't get that part either.

quote:

Don't ever QT anything!

Not sure what this is supposed to mean.

quote:

Hey two crew members are missing! Oh well, let's see if the hot blonde chick is a robot.

I get the feeling from a lot of other things that happen that aliens have been discovered before and many planets have been explored etc. so for a lot of the characters it was a routine job so they were quite blasé about it all. This wasn't a tightly controlled mission.

quote:

KILL IT WITH FIRE. Actually, that was the only proper piece of the movie where the crew wasn't insanely dumb.
Alien abortion?

Yep!

quote:

Hey father of our species, I demand you make me not old anymore! I demand it! Instead of, you know, spending all this money to put my mind in a new body.

He was asking for immortality from the "gods". Why do you assume it was possible for him to put his mind in to a new body? The whole point was that he was so desperate to preserve himself he'd do anything. This was his last ditch attempt at life.

quote:

Do I want to know what that starfish facehugger's embryo implanter looked like?

Probably a penis.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Prometheus-chat "We're going a billion miles away!" Yeah, welcome to Saturn :rolleyes:

A more general irritation is when the cast travel somewhere new and happen to turn up at exactly the right spot. In Prometheus they arrive at the planet right where the temples are, the rest of the planet looks like a complete dustbowl but they happened to be in exactly the right place. What are the chances! I know movies would be more boring if our heroes just wandered around but sometimes it feels so contrived. At least in Alien they had a beacon to follow so it made sense they found the ship.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nexus6 posted:

Prometheus-chat "We're going a billion miles away!" Yeah, welcome to Saturn :rolleyes:

A more general irritation is when the cast travel somewhere new and happen to turn up at exactly the right spot. In Prometheus they arrive at the planet right where the temples are, the rest of the planet looks like a complete dustbowl but they happened to be in exactly the right place. What are the chances! I know movies would be more boring if our heroes just wandered around but sometimes it feels so contrived. At least in Alien they had a beacon to follow so it made sense they found the ship.

We have the ability to spot things from space now. It doesn't really bother me that it happens in the future.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

We have the ability to spot things from space now. It doesn't really bother me that it happens in the future.

If that was so why were they surprised to see the pyramids when they landed?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

nexus6 posted:

Aren't there more than just the one temple, though? Anyway, them finding the temple so fast didn't bother me because they used a big mountain as a reference point for entering the atmosphere (or something), I assumed the engineers did the same so it would make sense that the temple is nearby.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

One time he was defeated by bees, dude. loving bees.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MonoAus posted:

David doesn't have emotions / isn't a real person. Insult him all you want.

I dunno, I thought I saw some astonishment from him after he discovered that Shaw had performed her...unexpected medical procedure. And he seemed to be beaming with pride when he said "Hi!" to the grumpy alien. Though I suppose that could just be programming: "Humans will expect you to behave this way when you see something amazing so pretend to be surprised ok"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I dunno, I thought I saw some astonishment from him after he discovered that Shaw had performed her...unexpected medical procedure. And he seemed to be beaming with pride when he said "Hi!" to the grumpy alien. Though I suppose that could just be programming: "Humans will expect you to behave this way when you see something amazing so pretend to be surprised ok"

The point is that he clearly DOES have emotions but the crew (and douchebag archaeology man in particular) either a) think he doesn't or b) don't care because he's a machine so they treat him like poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rydiafan posted:

One time he was defeated by bees, dude. loving bees.

Robot bees!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Prometheus's main problem is there were no likable characters.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

oldpainless posted:

Prometheus's main problem is there were no likable characters.

If you didn't like "accordion playing space captain who slacks off to have sex with charlize theron" then I dunno what to tell you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I totally forgot he even existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

The point is that he clearly DOES have emotions but the crew (and douchebag archaeology man in particular) either a) think he doesn't or b) don't care because he's a machine so they treat him like poo poo.

This is exactly the point. None of the characters believe David has emotions because he's a machine. However, it's suggested to the audience that he is developing a real conciousness and isn't being treated as an equal to his creators.

Really it's left open as to if David has real feelings or is just really good at mirroring our own.