Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there known issues with Guild Wars 2 on the Nvidia GTX 970? That's the only recent upgrade i've made and Guild Wars 2 is now unplayable on my PC. It ran fantastic on my previous card, GTX 460. The load times have also massively increased, over 1 minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
I'm really enjoying levelling my thief but I don't get how you're supposed to stay in stealth for any length of time or keep going into it, I suppose that's something I'll get with more trait slots etc unlocked later?

Also, is there any point in a level 13 Thief doing EoTM or WvW of any kind? Or would I be more of a hinderance than a boon?

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

Stereo posted:

I'm really enjoying levelling my thief but I don't get how you're supposed to stay in stealth for any length of time or keep going into it, I suppose that's something I'll get with more trait slots etc unlocked later?

Also, is there any point in a level 13 Thief doing EoTM or WvW of any kind? Or would I be more of a hinderance than a boon?

Aside from your abilities that apply stealth, you can also use smoke fields (like Pistol 5) combined with a leap finisher (such as Dagger 2) to apply more stealth to yourself. You can also throw down a smoke field and shoot Shortbow 2 into it to apply stealth to a group.

Stealth stacks duration, so once you've poopsocked enough you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Av81XhRu5c
(skip to 0:50)

That said, GW2 (pvp especially) requires much more reactive gameplay. One of the best pieces of advise I can give to new thieves is not to get too comfortable with stealth, as the longer you're stealthed, the more time your opponent has to recuperate and prepare for your next burst.

klockwerk fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 29, 2015

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Stereo posted:

You can either get Shadow Refuse (not fixing that typo) for aoe stealth or use dagger/pistol and combo the leap of dagger 2 with the smoke field of pistol 5, or the blast finisher of shortbow 2 with that or whatever that smoke field utility is. What you can use short stealth periods for is manoeuvring behind dudes and giving them a backstabium enema, by which I mean hitting them very hard with the dagger stealth atttack.

As for wvw, you'll be killed easier than normal thieves without all the tools they have that you don't, but zerging with shortbow is pretty easy and Scorpion Wire will take any single enemy from threat to puddle if you drag them into the zerg. Or off walls.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm having trouble with one of the Auric Basin story steps and I'm hoping someone's going to tell me I'm going about it the wrong way because it's getting frustrating:

I'm up to the part where you're trying to catch up with your party again after putting the egg where it goes (really loved the trials compared to the s2 ones, they were challenging without being irritating) and I'm up to the disc that's been stolen up into a tree, according to a crazy norn. It seems like the way to get up to it involves running along the roof of a building, turning around and heading towards an updraft, catching that updraft and then catching another updraft at the top of it in order to get up high enough. I'm just having a lot of trouble catching the second updraft, I can't swing my camera around fast enough accurately enough to fly into it, by the time I've got my bearings I've already lost way too much altitude. Is there another way to get up there that I'm just not seeing? Should I go further away and find a way up into a higher section of map in general and then glide down?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Are there known issues with Guild Wars 2 on the Nvidia GTX 970? That's the only recent upgrade i've made and Guild Wars 2 is now unplayable on my PC. It ran fantastic on my previous card, GTX 460. The load times have also massively increased, over 1 minute.

I have that card and I've had the same loading time. Then again I don't have an SSD, so I'm pretty sure my hd is the limitation. I think some smart goons know ways to speed up loading.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Lyer posted:

I have that card and I've had the same loading time. Then again I don't have an SSD, so I'm pretty sure my hd is the limitation. I think some smart goons know ways to speed up loading.

Switching over to an SSD was a massive reduction of load times for me. It used to take forever. I would start loading up and go to the kitchen, or to the bathroom, just something to kill time. Now it loads up right away.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

No GTX 970 issues that I'm aware of on my system (Core i3 4330, 8GB RAM, GTX 970, 250GB SSD).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Reverent is really fun.

Seriously, go play it. Sword+Axe with Jiro is seriously amazingly fun.

Does the class feel significantly different when you get Glint? I am only level 52.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm having trouble with one of the Auric Basin story steps and I'm hoping someone's going to tell me I'm going about it the wrong way because it's getting frustrating:

I'm up to the part where you're trying to catch up with your party again after putting the egg where it goes (really loved the trials compared to the s2 ones, they were challenging without being irritating) and I'm up to the disc that's been stolen up into a tree, according to a crazy norn. It seems like the way to get up to it involves running along the roof of a building, turning around and heading towards an updraft, catching that updraft and then catching another updraft at the top of it in order to get up high enough. I'm just having a lot of trouble catching the second updraft, I can't swing my camera around fast enough accurately enough to fly into it, by the time I've got my bearings I've already lost way too much altitude. Is there another way to get up there that I'm just not seeing? Should I go further away and find a way up into a higher section of map in general and then glide down?

just fly back into the first updraft?

Mesadoram posted:

Reverent is really fun.

Does the class feel significantly different when you get Glint? I am only level 52.

yeah you get permaswiftness/fury

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dreggon posted:

yeah you get permaswiftness/fury

:allears:

That sounds fair.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Mesadoram posted:

Reverent is really fun.

Glint is amazing, so much so that it's weird looking back at playing Rev without it. It's pretty obviously a class designed around having Herald available as a trait line.

I haven't found much use for the shield part of it though. Maybe I'll build up the gear for a Ventari/Herald Shield/Staff build that will heal all the things.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I just upgraded to a GTX 970 too. I never had trouble before this, but now I'm getting black screens and occasionally full crashes. It happened once (or twice) before HoT, too.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
HOT has some places that just look good without having a carrot to give them meaning. :allears:

Although I totally thought it was a jumping puzzle when I first ran into it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

im thinking of going into wvw with some guardian buddies and dropping traps to instantly gently caress up random passers by

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Vanderdeath posted:

I legitimately think that fanart is rad. Your friend has that 1980s anime style down and her line work's impressive as hell.

I was honestly just flattered that someone liked my princessing enough to get this done, I really like it too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Lyer posted:

Solumin posted:

I just upgraded to a GTX 970 too. I never had trouble before this, but now I'm getting black screens and occasionally full crashes. It happened once (or twice) before HoT, too.

Not that it helps anything, but just for another data point: I also upgraded to a 970 a few months ago, but I haven't had any issues. (I didn't actually get much of a performance improvement out of GW2 compared to my old 670, but I know GW2 is pretty CPU-heavy, and I didn't upgrade that. Using an outside post-processing injector instead of in-game post-processing actually helps my framerate a ton.) Anyway, my load times are crazy long in places like Lion's Arch, but I don't have an SSD, so I'm thinking that's probably more the culprit.

That's weird that upgrading to a 970 would cause trouble for some people but not others. I'm not sure what the other variables would be, though.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I made a pretty decent dent in the Fix-R-Upper collection last night. I should probably get an estimate of how much the machined weapon costs before I get too excited though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dreggon posted:

just fly back into the first updraft?

As far as I can tell there are two updrafts, one of which starts slightly next to where the first one ends. But because of the angle you have to jump into the first one from, the second one is behind you, so in order to get into it I have to swing my camera around perfectly accurately in a split second. Which doesn't seem right at all for things this game casually expects players to be able to do, but I can't think of another way to catch the second one.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are the metal plates from the reclaimed weapons rare? Should I be saving these guys to use with Black Lion salvage kits?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Softface posted:

A friend liked one of my animes so much she had one of her friends turn it into another anime, making it anime squared!

The anime in question:

Your mate's a talented artist!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are the metal plates from the reclaimed weapons rare? Should I be saving these guys to use with Black Lion salvage kits?

Yes, but I don't know if they're worth using a BL kit on. Do they have a higher chance of rare materials than the mystic kits?

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Harrow posted:

Not that it helps anything, but just for another data point: I also upgraded to a 970 a few months ago, but I haven't had any issues. (I didn't actually get much of a performance improvement out of GW2 compared to my old 670, but I know GW2 is pretty CPU-heavy, and I didn't upgrade that. Using an outside post-processing injector instead of in-game post-processing actually helps my framerate a ton.) Anyway, my load times are crazy long in places like Lion's Arch, but I don't have an SSD, so I'm thinking that's probably more the culprit.

That's weird that upgrading to a 970 would cause trouble for some people but not others. I'm not sure what the other variables would be, though.

I just upgraded to that card the other day but my new cooler is coming next week for my i5-4670k so I can overclock it a bit.

What post processing injector are you using? I've had to turn down a couple settings due to all of the people and spell effects that have to render in this many tiers of these maps. I'm hoping the overclocking will help me a bit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dreggon posted:

im thinking of going into wvw with some guardian buddies and dropping traps to instantly gently caress up random passers by

I'm in

I said come in! posted:

Harrow posted:

I have a 970 and performance/loading times have basically been flawless (GW2 is also heavily CPU bound, correct, I have an i7 4790k and Intel SSD which really helps). Get an SSD, that will make all the difference in the world, if you don't have an SSD you're doing yourself a disservice as they are cheap as hell for an excellent one ($120 CAD for a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO) and singlehandedly the biggest upgrade you can do for a computer.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So what was the dungeon nerf exactly?

I still aspire to do my legendary, and I know you need lots of gold as well as lots of dungeon-specific drops (depending on which legendary). Pre-expansion everyone said to just run dungeons to make gold, so I was planning on "two birds with one stone" when I got ready to do that step.

How much less gold do they give? Or do they still give decent gold if you're running them, just specific dumb farming techniques were nerfed or something?

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

Thyrork posted:

HOT has some places that just look good without having a carrot to give them meaning. :allears:

Although I totally thought it was a jumping puzzle when I first ran into it.

It is, of sorts. You can get up on the crystals, and if you glide between them to the end, there's a vertical cave full of roots to climb up.

It ends up in one of Zinn's labs from Gw1.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

xZAOx posted:

So what was the dungeon nerf exactly?

I still aspire to do my legendary, and I know you need lots of gold as well as lots of dungeon-specific drops (depending on which legendary). Pre-expansion everyone said to just run dungeons to make gold, so I was planning on "two birds with one stone" when I got ready to do that step.

How much less gold do they give? Or do they still give decent gold if you're running them, just specific dumb farming techniques were nerfed or something?

From what i hear they give about a third of the gold they used, but you only need a few runs to get enough tokens for the legendary so that wasn't really going to make much of a dent anyways.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

J3ng4 posted:

I just upgraded to that card the other day but my new cooler is coming next week for my i5-4670k so I can overclock it a bit.

What post processing injector are you using? I've had to turn down a couple settings due to all of the people and spell effects that have to render in this many tiers of these maps. I'm hoping the overclocking will help me a bit.

I use GemFX. Be careful with it--you can make your game look like oversaturated nonsense with it. I use it to replicate the kind of postprocessing effects you can already get in the game, but take it a little further (and without the high shaders causing characters to be really shiny). It's pretty nice.

It's easy to fiddle with, too, unlike some other post-processing tools out there, because you can alter settings and see what they do without having to exit the game and come back.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Mercurius posted:

What's your account name (or character name)? I'll send you one of the 'dyes to get started with on a budget' packs composed of my favourite reasonably priced dyes that I've put in the guild banks a few times.

I don't supposed you happen to have another one of these packs laying around? I do so enjoy pretty pretty princessing.

Also, currently downloading all the HoT patches at a coffee shop, 50,000 files remaining, AMA.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I'm assuming I should have the mushroom-jumping unlocked before the Guild Hall event tomorrow?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Spookyelectric posted:

I'm assuming I should have the mushroom-jumping unlocked before the Guild Hall event tomorrow?

Gliding and mushroom jumping does make guild hall navigating easier, but it's not mandatory whatsoever, there are footpaths/stairs leading around/up/down/everywhere.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Thanks! :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Note that my experience was just in the Lost Precipice one, I have no idea about the other guild hall (Gilded Cave or something?) but I presume it's the same, not gated behind gliding/mushrooms required.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

One day I'll be a robot, for now, this'll do.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Isn't the cave gated behind exalted mastery 1?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Softface posted:

A friend liked one of my animes so much she had one of her friends turn it into another anime, making it anime squared!

The anime in question:

Does she take commissions?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Xun posted:

Isn't the cave gated behind exalted mastery 1?

No idea!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Shoulder armor has gotten out of hand.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

If it is we can likely portal. You can do this for most/all of the exalted stuff now.

Still, level 1. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ItBurns posted:

If it is we can likely portal. You can do this for most/all of the exalted stuff now.

Still, level 1. :effort:

Yeah, the level 1 masteries are extremely quick/easy to get, not a big deal.

• Locked thread