Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Femtosecond posted:

The benefit is it will create residences for an estimated 2500 people. Add onto that all the amenities, restaurants, and retail that come along with new building development. Removing the viaducts opens up the potential for a whole new neighbourhood where there is currently fenced off police impound lots, parking and other unused spaces.

We all like to trash condo developers, but unless you're posting from a tent in Trout Lake Park you're currently benefiting from the fact that some developer at some point was allowed to build a condo/apartment/house.

Yeah we totally need to remove those viaducts to help concord do something with those parking lots we sold them to them at a ridiculous loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/penultsquire/status/659441236227391488/photo/1

loving lol

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

These are the same people that think Vancouver has no nuclear weapons because of the CoV sign as you enter the city aren't they?

Anyone that thinks the north of False Creek is going to get a park built like those drawings should contact me though. I have some viaducts to sell you at a very good price.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MonsieurChoc posted:

We are!? Ohmigod, that's great news! That viaduc always felt to me like a little part of Detroit in Montreal.

Yeah, that's why there was all that fuss about a plan to divert untreated sewage into the St Laurence for a week.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

ocrumsprug posted:

These are the same people that think Vancouver has no nuclear weapons because of the CoV sign as you enter the city aren't they?

Anyone that thinks the north of False Creek is going to get a park built like those drawings should contact me though. I have some viaducts to sell you at a very good price.

But there are drawings!

Cannot wait for a larger parking lot that Cirque du Soleil will use.

Also there's a hospital built in Richmond that will suffer greater than one built on the flats. The flats for the new hospital site are suitable for such a project.

Besides, St Paul's existing site is a loving death trap and is a waste of money to fix.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

ocrumsprug posted:

I've taken a look at this several times and it continues to mystify me. Since when does Vancouver have nuclear weapons?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Kafka Esq. posted:

Would you be very surprised that the Liberal government would introduce a non-proportional voting system? That's rich.

Small world. I was volunteering in his office (and then his campaign) this year. Would I have seen you around?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

David Corbett posted:

I've taken a look at this several times and it continues to mystify me. Since when does Vancouver have nuclear weapons?

Well see at Vancouver city limits there are signs indicating nuclear weapons aren't permitted, which is similar to thinking the municipal governments are in charge of hospitals. :thejoke:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

David Corbett posted:

http://www.generalfusion.com/

:laugh:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

David Corbett posted:

Premise 1: You can't trust anything the government tells you, it's all propaganda, kinda like preemptive vaccines in the absence of an outbreak saving lives as opposed to saving the healthcare system a little bit of money.

Premise 2:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Small world. I was volunteering in his office (and then his campaign) this year. Would I have seen you around?

Do you know Timothy or Bridgette?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

James Baud posted:

Premise 1: You can't trust anything the government tells you, it's all propaganda, kinda like preemptive vaccines in the absence of an outbreak saving lives as opposed to saving the healthcare system a little bit of money.

Premise 2:

Never mind the fact that nuclear-powered ships from the United States military have been docked at the Port of Vancouver.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Kafka Esq. posted:

Do you know Timothy or Bridgette?

Yep. They were staffers on the campaign too, and of course they were at the office as well.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
I don't really drink alchohol, but it seems lots of CanPoli Goons talk about it lots, and I came across this article.

http://www.onbeer.org/2015/10/alberta-shifts-the-beer-playing-field/

quote:

Most of the coverage of yesterday’s Alberta provincial budget, the first by the new NDP government, focused on the deficit, the pledge to create jobs and protect services, and their infrastructure spending. However, hidden in the details was a decision that will have huge ramifications for the beer industry in the province.

The Notley government announced sweeping changes to the beer mark-up policy. This issue has been burning for quite a while now (read about past developments here and here), sparked in large part by Minhas Brewing’s practice of shipping low cost beer made in Wisconsin and claiming it to be Alberta beer.

In short the new policy does three key things. First, it restricts the small brewer’s mark-up to breweries based in Alberta, B.C. and Saskatchewan. All other breweries must pay the full rate, regardless of size. Second, the small brewer rate will now be graduated, meaning increased rates will apply only to production above the threshold, not to all production as was previously the case. Third the full rate went up by 5 cents to $1.25 per litre.

The new small brewer rate starts at 10 cents per litre for the first 10,000 HL, climbs to 30 cents for 10,000 to 50,000 HL, 55 cents for 50,000 to 200,000 HL and the full rate after that. Graduation has the effect of meaning the effective mark up moves up gradually. By the time a brewery is producing 400,000 HL it is still only paying 86 cents (averaged) per litre.

There is no question this is a huge advantage for small brewers based in those three provinces. The broad purpose is clear – to promote local production of beer by providing a cost advantage for local beer. The government is making a clear decision to side with local(ish) producers instead of imported beer. Plus the decision puts an additional $17 million or so in the government coffers at a time when likely every penny counts.

After all that, what is my take? I have three general thoughts on the matter.

First, I continue to believe that providing a lower mark-up for Alberta breweries is good public policy. Alberta breweries create jobs and economic activity and the money stays (mostly) in the province. Local beer is a crucial anchor to building a craft beer culture. Ultimately, the path forward in terms of making Alberta a vibrant beer location is to build stronger local breweries. The new mark-up regime looks remarkably similar to B.C.’s system, which has worked well for them.

That the new policy applies to B.C. and Saskatchewan is perplexing and waters down the effectiveness of a local brewery advantage. I don’t share the government’s apparent fears about the NWP and actually think an Alberta-only policy could have been used as leverage to gain greater access to those provinces for Alberta brewers.

Second, graduating the mark-up should have been a no-brainer years ago and so is a long overdue reform. Hard caps just discourage breweries from growing. Now a small brewery can become a medium-sized brewery over time without taking a massive financial hit in the process.

Third, I recognize the policy will lead to higher prices for imports and could result in somewhat reduced selection. I sincerely empathize with the agents – I know many of them and they are hard-working, good people who are passionate about beer. But policy is about trade-offs. Over the past decade, import craft beer has had an advantage over local beer due to the mark-up policy. The previous government decided it did not want to interfere in the market, at the expense of local producers. The new government clearly feels it has a role in developing a local craft beer industry. That shift comes at the expense of imports.

So... is this bad because taxes? Good because local breweries? Or bad because local breweries are poo poo?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Yep. They were staffers on the campaign too, and of course they were at the office as well.

Small world.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Never mind the fact that nuclear-powered ships from the United States military have been docked at the Port of Vancouver.

A nuclear powered ship isn't *technically* a nuclear weapon, it's a ship powered by a nuclear reactor driving a steam turbine for propulsion.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

OSI bean dip posted:

And the usual protesters make a stink about it every time, all the way back to the '80s. You'll see those signs in various places in B.C. There's one (or there used to be. I haven't been there in decades.) on Hornby Island, on the road up from the ferry dock leading to Denman. But then, it's basically been a Hippie commune since the '60s anyway.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahaha you dumb sjw fucks gonna endorse a tariff on beer

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
only way to stop the craftbeer marxists from taking over

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Lars Blitzer posted:

And the usual protesters make a stink about it every time, all the way back to the '80s. You'll see those signs in various places in B.C. There's one (or there used to be. I haven't been there in decades.) on Hornby Island, on the road up from the ferry dock leading to Denman. But then, it's basically been a Hippie commune since the '60s anyway.

I don't remember seeing that sign but I'll keep an eye out for it since I'm there most summers anyway. The hippie presence on Hornby is still pretty strong, maybe diminished slightly by tourism, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see something like that there. Or anywhere in the gulf, come to think of it.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Hahaha you dumb sjw fucks gonna endorse a tariff on beer

Hahaha you're a dumber gently caress thinking the provincial government wouldn't have jacked the sin taxes anyway, no matter if it was Notley or Prentice in charge. It's a "Motherhood" issue: stereotypes aside, everyone agrees that beer, wine and spirits are a luxury in Canada.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
If you drink the disgusting piss swill known as "beer", you deserve what you get in life anyways (a fat gut and an empty wallet). Straight Vodka or a finely aged Mead like a respectable adult. :chord:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Dark One posted:

Yeah, that's why there was all that fuss about a plan to divert untreated sewage into the St Laurence for a week.

While dumping a ton of waste into the river is bad, getting rid of that industrial wasteland is good and it's not like the river isn't polluted already.

I really wanted to post that old Marx Brothers "Why a duck?" sketch, but could only find a lovely reenactment on youtube. Ah well.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

A nuclear powered ship isn't *technically* a nuclear weapon, it's a ship powered by a nuclear reactor driving a steam turbine for propulsion.

Well "nuclear weapon" has a pretty well-defined meaning; even a hypothetical laser powered by a nuclear reactor still wouldn't be a nuclear weapon. And it definitely would not include nuclear-powered ships unless they have nuclear weapons on board.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Here's an unbiased update on the current Wynnanigans, $3.74m in secret payments to unions and getting bigger every day. The nature of net zero negotiations of course means that this money comes from other areas of the already strained education budget.

The globe releases info showing the government paid a couple of teacher unions $1m directly.
The OLP says that the $1m was to help offset extra costs incurred by the union because of the new negotiating process.
The opposition says that's a suspiciously round number, what the heck?
OLP education minister says that they don't need receipts, they know what boardrooms and pizza cost.
Globe uncovers that the payments to unions go all the way back to 2008, before the new negotiating process, totalling $2.5m this year and $1.24m last two rounds to unions and the rest to school boards.
The opposition is pretty pissed because the amount given carte blanche is pretty close to what the unions have donated to OLP and spent advertising against their opponents
Wynne now says that the payments haven't gone out yet and of course they require receipts.
The opposition calls for auditor general inquiry... which has to be voted on by all parties including the majority OLP.

MonsieurChoc posted:

While dumping a ton of waste into the river is bad, getting rid of that industrial wasteland is good and it's not like the river isn't polluted already.

leftists.txt

Rime posted:

If you drink the disgusting piss swill known as "beer", you deserve what you get in life anyways (a fat gut and an empty wallet). Straight Vodka or a finely aged Mead like a respectable adult. :chord:

That is the opposite of respectable adult. That's pony tail having, trenchcoat wearing, holden caulfield acting 10 years later than is appropriate talk. Respectable adults don't care what other people drink.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Anyone who argues that a nuclear reactor=nuclear weapon is a loving MORON, full stop.

However, many nuclear powered vessels carry nuclear weapons, which is why New Zealand won't allow US ships to dock there.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Psawhn posted:

I don't really drink alchohol, but it seems lots of CanPoli Goons talk about it lots, and I came across this article.

http://www.onbeer.org/2015/10/alberta-shifts-the-beer-playing-field/

So... is this bad because taxes? Good because local breweries? Or bad because local breweries are poo poo?

The gradation sounds like a great idea

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

These payments directly to the teachers union are especially frustrating, not only on the face of it, but because these sorts of direct payments work to undermine sympathy the public might have for the teachers and why they are participating in work stoppage/reduction. It takes an issue that should be about working conditions and makes it look like a cash grab.

As bad as this makes Wynne look, I think the union comes off looking worse even though (or perhaps especially because) they're the ones getting this cash payment.

Union officials need to think more about the optics of these payments before they accept them, and if I were a teacher, I'd be upset to see what looks like my union being bought off.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
from what that guy said it looks like they are giving that money to the union which then gives it to the party. so its spending public money to campaign, which is al ot worse than the union getting bought i think

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jsoh posted:

from what that guy said it looks like they are giving that money to the union which then gives it to the party. so its spending public money to campaign, which is al ot worse than the union getting bought i think

That's what the opposition is saying but it's obviously impossible to prove. Some money flows in to the union from the OLP and other money flows out to political campaigning. It's annoying but it's not illegal. I think the unions look especially bad to the teachers. Interestingly, one union, the ETFO, the one who is going to be docked pay if they don't call off work to rule, is the only union who hasn't ever accepted any cash from the OLP. Good on them.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

That's what the opposition is saying but it's obviously impossible to prove. Some money flows in to the union from the OLP and other money flows out to political campaigning. It's annoying but it's not illegal. I think the unions look especially bad to the teachers. Interestingly, one union, the ETFO, the one who is going to be docked pay if they don't call off work to rule, is the only union who hasn't ever accepted any cash from the OLP. Good on them.

Hammond is a moron and ETFO will end up with less than OECTA and OSSTF like last time. Docking the unionized members pay will just to them filing for conciliation and striking 5 days afterwards.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Hammond is a moron and ETFO will end up with less than OECTA and OSSTF like last time. Docking the unionized members pay will just to them filing for conciliation and striking 5 days afterwards.

What would you do if you were Sam Hammond?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

What would you do if you were Sam Hammond?

Seppuku, or just accept the same offer as the other teachers. Without unity you have no leverage.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Seppuku, or just accept the same offer as the other teachers. Without unity you have no leverage.

What's the point of having separate unions then? I thought their big issue was that the large class sizes are a lot harder to manage for elementary teachers than they are for secondary, that makes sense to me? Isn't it ultimately up to the teachers too? Hammond must have a pretty good idea of what they want. His union is 50,000 teachers, I'd think his leverage is fine.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

What's the point of having separate unions then? I thought their big issue was that the large class sizes are a lot harder to manage for elementary teachers than they are for secondary, that makes sense to me? Isn't it ultimately up to the teachers too? Hammond must have a pretty good idea of what they want. His union is 50,000 teachers, I'd think his leverage is fine.

Keep in mind the class size numbers are 'averages'. You will still see some classes well past the official class size numbers. Especially in the earlier junior grades where students are not as 'focused' its a poo poo show. Kindergarten at least has an ECE now, but having 30 grade 3 or 4 students under a single teacher is a nightmare. You simply cannot provide enough 1 on 1 time to those students that need it. Don't forget they also add in special needs students to regular classrooms now, sometimes without the appropriate staffing to help them succeed.

Other issues are being told what work is acceptable for their planning time, and to some extent monetary issues. I don't have any direct information about the ETFO talks so I can't elaborate more, just from my sources.

They can strike sure, but a province wide strike from ETFO/OECTA/OSSTF is serious business. An ETFO strike only effects half of the provinces primary/junior students, notwithstanding those private schools and the French boards.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
The unions needs to and should have a real strike, there's no question. All these shenanigans from Wynne are because they've shown they're unwilling to do it. Work to rule isn't enough. They should have done it the first week of back in September.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RBC posted:

The unions needs to and should have a real strike, there's no question. All these shenanigans from Wynne are because they've shown they're unwilling to do it. Work to rule isn't enough. They should have done it the first week of back in September.

Problem is teachers unions have lost the war over optics when it comes to striking. Back when they were fighting Harris et al there were a significant number of people on their side, but nowadays the government has been so good at painting them as entitled overpaid spoiled brats who are harming the children when they strike that teachers know if they strike, they lose. And when that happens it gives the government license to make cuts in their next contract since they won.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

jm20 posted:

Right, except you can't have unity without, you know, unity. If there are major differences in bargaining positions between the different unions (such as the class size issue mentioned above) that one group might be willing to sacrifice for other things but another doesn't, some group within is going to be unhappy about whatever choice is made and made the outward projection of solidarity weaker, which entirely defeats the purpose of doing that to begin with.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC posted:

Time for an armed revolution imo. I love how Wynne is just blatantly ignoring the advice of the financial accountability officer she appointed in the position she created to prevent bad decisions like this.

‘It’s going,’ Wynne says of Hydro One sale despite watchdog warning

quote:

Premier Kathleen Wynne is sticking to her plan to sell off Hydro One to bankroll transportation infrastructure despite a damaging report to the legislature from the budget watchdog.

“It’s going,” Wynne said firmly on Thursday in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

As first disclosed by the Star, Stephen LeClair, the recently appointed financial accountability officer, warned Thursday the province will be in even “worse” shape after the sale of the Crown utility.

In a 41-page report, LeClair said there is much “uncertainty” surrounding the sale of the electricity transmitter.

But Wynne disputes his conclusion.

“In terms of the long-term, we thought this was the right way to go,” the premier said at the Ontario Economic Summit at the White Oaks Resort and Spa in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

At Queen’s Park, Finance Minister Charles Sousa said the government needs the proceeds to help fund a 10-year $30.5-billion expansion of transit, roads, and bridges.

“Our government remains on track to realize our target of $9 billion through the broadening of ownership of Hydro One,” said Sousa.

Of that $9 billion, $4 billion is earmarked for transportation and $5 billion to pay off the utility’s debt.

“I welcome Mr. LeClair’s assessment of our government’s effort to broaden the ownership of Hydro One,” the treasurer said.

“In particular, I appreciate his reaffirmation of our government’s valuation of Hydro One through the initial public offering which is now underway,” he said.

“Net proceeds will be put aside to help finance our government’s plan to invest in infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and public transit in a way that both saves borrowing costs and does not add to the province’s debt.”

Sousa added that “broadening ownership of Hydro One will also result in a stronger-performing, more customer service-focused company.”

“Increased efficiencies will result in operating cost savings which can be passed on to rate payers,” he maintained.

But LeClair warned the move would increase the provincial debt by reducing revenue.

“In the years following the sale of 60 per cent of Hydro One, the province’s budget balance would be worse than it would have been without the sale,” he writes in his first-ever report to the legislature.

“The province’s net debt would initially be reduced, but will eventually be higher than it would have been without the sale,” he continues in An Assessment of the Financial Impact of the Partial Sale of Hydro One.

“Assuming the province sells 15 per cent of Hydro One in 2015-16, Ontario’s net debt would initially be reduced by $2.4 billion to $3.9 billion. However, net debt would eventually increase as a result of the partial sale as the costs of forgone revenues from Hydro One begin to exceed the initial fiscal benefits.”

That’s in part because Hydro One brings in around $750 million to the provincial coffers annually.

LeClair said the transmitter is worth between $11 billion and $14.3 billion and that the proceeds would be between $3.3 billion and $5.8 billion after its debt is repaid.

The Hydro One initial public offering — the biggest this year in Canada — will begin in days. Shares will start at between $19 and $21 each.

Wynne was urged to sell the company by her privatization guru Ed Clark, the former TD Bank chair who is also behind the expansion of beer sales in grocery stores.

Both the Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown and NDP Leader Andrea Horwath are pushing the Liberals not to sell such a valuable asset.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Coolwhoami posted:

Right, except you can't have unity without, you know, unity. If there are major differences in bargaining positions between the different unions (such as the class size issue mentioned above) that one group might be willing to sacrifice for other things but another doesn't, some group within is going to be unhappy about whatever choice is made and made the outward projection of solidarity weaker, which entirely defeats the purpose of doing that to begin with.

There aren't 'major' differences between the deals, feel free to elaborate if you feel like there is. Hammond will end up with a weaker deal like in 2008, he is playing hard ball with Wynne to make up for that probably. Wynne was the MoE in 2008 when she 'negotiated' the deal for the ETFO holdouts which was less than OSSTF and OECTA.