Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

this is currently on top of my google news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I don't know how Johns Hopkins still has the reputation it does - it's got no shortage of quacks and shills.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

this is currently on top of my google news

Yeah, Jeb being poo poo is the main talking point out of this debate. The next are RUBIO WAS GREAT and CRUZ HAD THAT MOMENT!

Trump and Carson going to lose some steam out of this(especially Carson.)

EDIT:

I've been saying this for a while, but Rubio is in the Paul Ryan zone - Both the teaparty and the establishment sides can stomach him. With that said Rubio needs to step up and actually campaign now.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I can't believe I'm saying this but, I feel bad for jeb

He's just so bad at this and people keep making GBS threads on him and he can't stop them

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Oh my God, that Carson video where he said "No they didn't have my permission to use my likeness" when it's a gotdam testimonial for the product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQSoHRwtwvI

The comments are incredible:

I've been wondering where his crazy rear end was since yesterday

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i caught the beginning of the debate on radio last night. was kasich as close to being in tears as he sounded like?

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Even the taiwanese think jeb is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NMqRqkorPo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

babypolis posted:

im starting to feel legit sorry for jeb. everything he does fails horribly, no one is taking him seriously, and all he seems to get out this whole thing is humiliation and sickening jokes about his wife and family whom he clearly loves very much. i know its anathema to feel simpathy for a bush but i honestly believe him and his brother are well meaning rubes conned into a horrible ideology by their father and his cronies

He and his family did 9/11 and created ISIL, and he interfered with Schiavo's wife. gently caress him.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i caught the beginning of the debate on radio last night. was kasich as close to being in tears as he sounded like?

I'm reasonably convinced Kasich kept wandering off stage during every commercial to do a bump of cocaine.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Jeb's personality really bridges the racial divide, uniting the GOP base and minorities on a common consensus.

:laugh:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Jeb! can make this all stop whenever he wants. It's hard to feel bad for a guy who keeps throwing himself in front of other peoples fists.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Montasque posted:

I've been saying this for a while, but Rubio is in the Paul Ryan zone - Both the teaparty and the establishment sides can stomach him. With that said Rubio needs to step up and actually campaign now.

They're obviously starting to push Rubio now. You say he has crossover appeal, but I wonder, isn't his record on immigration going to make him unpopular with the base, especially compared to straight shooter Trump?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

memy posted:

I don't think anybody's saying Kasich won

Patton Oswalt þ@pattonoswalt · 15h15 hours ago
Holy poo poo I would actually vote for Kasich. I'm not kidding. He's the Bill Hicks of the GOP. #GOPDebate

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

memy posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but, I feel bad for jeb

He's just so bad at this and people keep making GBS threads on him and he can't stop them
He could stop them by not running for president.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

babypolis posted:

im starting to feel legit sorry for jeb. everything he does fails horribly, no one is taking him seriously, and all he seems to get out this whole thing is humiliation and sickening jokes about his wife and family whom he clearly loves very much. i know its anathema to feel simpathy for a bush but i honestly believe him and his brother are well meaning rubes conned into a horrible ideology by their father and his cronies

I think you might want to check out his record in Florida sometime.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

They're obviously starting to push Rubio now. You say he has crossover appeal, but I wonder, isn't his record on immigration going to make him unpopular with the base, especially compared to straight shooter Trump?

His fav/unfav is very high, the base doesn't give a poo poo that he had a dumb view and fixed it (in their opinion). This DOA argument and the fact that the best liberals seem to be able to do against him is "he drank water funny once lol" makes him by far the biggest threat right now

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Montasque posted:

I don't know if there even is a Paul Ryan zone anymore, the tea party has come to expect it's candidate to say the most insane poo poo at all times that I don't know if there's a theoretical candidate who could make both sides feel even moderately good about backing him. (And it would be a him)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

I'm really, really not buying the media narrative of how Rubio won last night, I thought he came off as incredibly defensive, immature and then drilled a giant hole in his ship if he gets any traction on how he blew through over a million dollars in a year "raising his kids" not to mention his $40k comment.

In a campaign that is dominated from outsiders I thought all he did was prove that he was a immature out of touch member of the establishment.

If anyone won last night and I don't think anyone did it was Trump seeing as he somehow managed not to do any potential damage to himself besides the bankruptcy stuff and it is apparent that his supporters don't give a gently caress about that.

Well now he has to let guns in his hotels, could be bad for business.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
The highest note Jeb hit was bragging about his fantasy football team.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

A lot of tea-party aren't high on Rubio but if he was their candidate the would hold their nose and vote for him. Jeb on the other hand... They would rather allow Hillary win than vote for Jeb Bush.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Remember when we all thought that George W was the dumbest Bush

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Constant Hamprince posted:

I don't know if there even is a Paul Ryan zone anymore, the tea party has come to expect it's candidate to say the most insane poo poo at all times that I don't know if there's a theoretical candidate who could make both sides feel even moderately good about backing him. (And it would be a him)

Yeah, they're already making GBS threads all over Ryan and he's only been in office for like an hour.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Rocks posted:

Remember when we all thought that George W was the dumbest Bush

George wasn't actually stupid, it's more that he was insanely naive and put far too much trust in his absolutely terrible advisors.*

*Most of whom are now on team Jeb LOL

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

He was aiming for 'passionate' but came off more like desperate. Basically he realized he had to make a big, bold action to gain any ground so he came out swinging at Trump and Carson. He repeatedly talked about how ridiculous they and their plans are - specifically mentioning the Great Wall of Trump and Carson's HSAs. Unfortunately for him Trump's baleful eye eventually fell on him and he was all but destroyed.

It was a good try though.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Ben Carson literally doesn't know what GDP is lol.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

As far as the "Paul Ryan zone" that was before Boehner pulled off that 2 year budget deal. A lot of tea-party types rightfully think Ryan knew about the deal and will do nothing to stop it. Before the deal tea-party people didn't LIKE Ryan, but felt he was better than Boehner.

Also Rubio is popular with the talk-radio guys(with exception of Mark Levin who thinks he's a DOPE!)

EDIT: Basically Rubio is a compromise candidate that no one is super stoked about, but almost every Republican can agree he's a better alternative to Hillary.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 29, 2015

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I thought Kasich was pretty good last night. I didn't think he came off too desperate sounding. Just exasperated, which is an okay tone.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Yeah, Rubio is going to get a bump from this debate (and money). He also won't evaporate like Fiorina. However, I don't think it'll be enough to take out Trump. There's reasons (beyond money) why Rubio hasn't already gained more traction already, and I think those reasons will prevent him from overtaking Trump. These reasons don't involve Walker, Jeb, or Fiorina holding Rubio back in some way either. I'm also interested in seeing how Trump will attack Rubio, as it's cathartic when Trump goes after an establishment candidate.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Xenophon posted:

Yeah, they're already making GBS threads all over Ryan and he's only been in office for like an hour.

WELCOME TO NORTH MEXICO

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Rubio has mainly been ignored and flying under the radar. I think everyone is going to be gunning for him the next couple of weeks - will be interesting to see how he holds up.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Rocks posted:

I thought Kasich was pretty good last night. I didn't think he came off too desperate sounding. Just exasperated, which is an okay tone.

Seems like he's trying to position himself as "the one the establishment should shovel money at in order to shut up the rest of these embarrassments." I feel like that's why he kept hammering on Ohio so hard. DID YOU GUYS KNOW I'M FROM A SWING STATE?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Montasque posted:

As far as the "Paul Ryan zone" that was before Boehner pulled off that 2 year budget deal. A lot of tea-party types rightfully think Ryan knew about the deal and will do nothing to stop it. Before the deal tea-party people didn't LIKE Ryan, but felt he was better than Boehner.

Also Rubio is popular with the talk-radio guys(with exception of Mark Levin who thinks he's a DOPE!)

EDIT: Basically Rubio is a compromise candidate that no one is super stoked about, but almost every Republican can agree he's a better alternative to Hillary.

I 100% respect your opinions and I value your posting in this thread probably more than anyone else. I just wanted to point out something that I feel is possibly more important than you realize.

But we'll see how this plays out. Best election cycle ever, honestly.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Montasque posted:

Boehner basically took a hail of arrows for Ryan so that he wouldn't have to start day 1 on the job with the same problems that eventually forced him out. Everyone knows Ryan wanted it that way because as much as he might want to haggle over the debt ceiling, him starting out the speakership with a contentious battle is worse, and having a goverment shutdown or default on his watch is far worse. But he still gets to shrug his shoulders and say "welp! that's the deal and its too late for me to change it now!", now let's to get to governing!

The tea party line of thought must be that if Ryan were a real conservative, he would have fought harder against the debt limit or added it to his condition on accepting the job, instead he just went along with another evil compromise that adds to our national debt. Ryan is going to stumble over the same hurdles Boehner had soon, and the only reason it's not now is because Boehner was willing to accept one final rear end kicking on his way out.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jeb is dead Walker is dead early polls matter superpac money doesn't matter the party doesn't decide hail satan

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dahbadu posted:

Yeah, Rubio is going to get a bump from this debate (and money). He also won't evaporate like Fiorina. However, I don't think it'll be enough to take out Trump. There's reasons (beyond money) why Rubio hasn't already gained more traction already, and I think those reasons will prevent him from overtaking Trump. These reasons don't involve Walker, Jeb, or Fiorina holding Rubio back in some way either. I'm also interested in seeing how Trump will attack Rubio, as it's cathartic when Trump goes after an establishment candidate.

The NYTimes article about Rubio's longtime relationship with and advocacy for the interests of a billionaire donor will probably serve as a good starting point. Fits with the "I can't be bought like these other idiots already have been" stuff Trump has done.

The immigration ranting that brought Trump into the limelight in the first place is also a reasonable avenue of attack.

In the general Rubio is the one that most concerns me, but that is likely just because I know so little about him and any potential skeletons he has.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I just figured out carson

he has an 8 pm bedtime due to his weirdo religion and just can't stay up late for debates

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Dahbadu posted:

I 100% respect your opinions and I value your posting in this thread probably more than anyone else. I just wanted to point out something that I feel is possibly more important than you realize.

But we'll see how this plays out. Best election cycle ever, honestly.

Thanks, I think.

As far as the "Compromise candidate" Marco Rubio, what don't I realize? Compromise isn't great, and it could hamstring him in the general, but it's better than sending in Jeb Bush, or Donald Trump/Ben Carson, and would protect the down ticket.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Constant Hamprince posted:

George wasn't actually stupid, it's more that he was insanely naive and put far too much trust in his absolutely terrible advisors.*

*Most of whom are now on team Jeb LOL

You gotta be pretty dumb to let Paul Wolfowitz through the door in the first place though.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

FOXNEWS is dog piling on Jeb Bush. One of their 'news babes' just said Jeb seemed like he was apart of the MAINSTREAM MEDIA.

Kiss of death, good bye Jeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Montasque posted:

Warm kiss of death, good bye Jeb.

• Locked thread