Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It's kind of a cool moment of confusion. I'm excited to see how Mantic does in 4-5 years. I want to see if they'll be able to produce some of those crazy stand-alone figures like Forgeworld or GW but with their more-for-cheaper thing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Really? Mantic sculpts have got good!

Explains why speed was a factor though.

Yeah, the modern Mantic stuff is pretty darn good. Enforcers and the newer Forge Fathers are especially notable IMO

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Really? Mantic sculpts have got good!

Explains why speed was a factor though.

Yep.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, I was looking at the Warpath 2.0 Kickstarter earlier today and was surprised how not-poo poo everything looked. Curious to see where they'll be in a few years as well, as their models have gotten a lot better since they started.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

The patience involved in this just hurts me

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

signalnoise posted:

The patience involved in this just hurts me

The secret for me was staggering it. 3 projects or so at once. One at the freehand stage. One at the main coloring/washing stage. And one at the touch-up stage.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

The secret for me was staggering it. 3 projects or so at once. One at the freehand stage. One at the main coloring/washing stage. And one at the touch-up stage.

Yep. This is exactly what I do. It keeps painting from getting monotonous and feeling like a chore.

Also SignalNoise. Gonna post some sweet sweet airbrushed models soon courtesy of your sotar :hfive:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hixson posted:

Yep. This is exactly what I do. It keeps painting from getting monotonous and feeling like a chore.

Also SignalNoise. Gonna post some sweet sweet airbrushed models soon courtesy of your sotar :hfive:

Can't wait man

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I found an accidental special effect corrosion paint

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Tried highlighting for the first time ever

Middle Kastelan robit

I really need to work on my technique, since i painted on way too big lines. any recommendations for youtubes on this subject? if you just search for highlighting tutorials, you get approx. 2 million makeup videos.

Signalnoise was so kind as to suggest blending the colours by applying a wash, so after some quick carroburg crimson application, i had this:

still the robit in the middle

which is far better to my eyes than the initial result.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Looks pretty good for a first attempt to me

Its one of those things that'll get better with practice

If you've got an actual sharp edge on the model, using the side of the brush instead of the point makes it a load easier too

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Nice work. I would suggest maybe using a red glaze (citadel do decent ones) all over the red areas, to bring the highlight in with the red. Then reapply the highlight using the method Skarsnik mentioned. It'll give you a richer red and a more effective transition from base colour to highlight.

You can see what I'm talking about here (bit of a poo poo photo). Both models have had their base colour highlighted and a citadel glaze applied. The Ultramarine then had a brighter highlight reapplied, while the Imperial Fist hasn't, which is why his highlights don't stand out so clearly (also because of the lighting).

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Nice work. I would suggest maybe using a red glaze (citadel do decent ones) all over the red areas, to bring the highlight in with the red. Then reapply the highlight using the method Skarsnik mentioned. It'll give you a richer red and a more effective transition from base colour to highlight.

You can see what I'm talking about here (bit of a poo poo photo). Both models have had their base colour highlighted and a citadel glaze applied. The Ultramarine then had a brighter highlight reapplied, while the Imperial Fist hasn't, which is why his highlights don't stand out so clearly (also because of the lighting).

looks like i get to invest in glazes then, luckily the other flgs has that box'o'glazes from GW sitting around.

i'd still like some video tutorials if anyone's got a hook up.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Working on my AoBR Warboss:

Pre-Wash:

Post-Wash, pre highlight:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Frobbe posted:

Tried highlighting for the first time ever
Could you take the photos more at mini level and just of the highlighted robit? I can't see the highlights especially well. If you're having trouble with too thick highlights, just go back with your base color and clean them up. I've done this on almost every model I've ever painted, and is the difference between my best paintjobs and ones where I was just phoning it in.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Slowly, but surely, my Mechanicum trundle along.

Was originally going to hold off painting any more 30k duders until I finish my long suffering Skitarii. But after a brilliant showing against Tau the other day, involving mincing several squads and tearing a Commander in half on his own, I figured V-IIILX here deserved a lick of paint.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Cross posting from the Oath thread. A bunch more 10mm LotR for the month with some of the units that fit into the Halloween theme.

Terrifying bat swarms

Blood sucking spiders!

Terrifying ghosts of army of the dead (made these from left over pieces of miscasts)

Easterling Cataphracts to (maybe) chase them all away

Group shot

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i invested in decent brushes and flow improver over the weekend and got a chance to use them last night. it's like I've started a completely different hobby it is nuts how much better it makes it

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Cat Face Joe posted:

i invested in decent brushes and flow improver over the weekend and got a chance to use them last night. it's like I've started a completely different hobby it is nuts how much better it makes it

How are you using the flow improver? I've mixed a tiny, tiny amount of it with some water and matte medium in a dropper bottle to use for thinning, but I've also used straight matte medium or straight water, and I've never really been able to settle on something that works best. I'd like to kind of formalize my approach.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

haha I'm not the best person to ask about this since it's all pretty new to me. i use garbage paints cause i wanted to make sure this was something I'd stick with before I spent a lot on the good stuff. i put a few drops onto my pallet and then just mixed it with paint until i got a consistency i liked and went to town. maybe I'm doing it wrong but it worked for what I needed done last night.

edit: for clarification it was this guy. he's got a million little divots all over him and i was getting poor coverage with thinned paints but the flow improver helped a lot

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/eye%20beast/latest/77043

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 29, 2015

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

SRM posted:

Could you take the photos more at mini level and just of the highlighted robit? I can't see the highlights especially well. If you're having trouble with too thick highlights, just go back with your base color and clean them up. I've done this on almost every model I've ever painted, and is the difference between my best paintjobs and ones where I was just phoning it in.

Sure, here's the best i can do with the desk lamp i've got. i'll buy a better bulb for it tomorrow.

direct link: http://imgur.com/jtN0yZD

after having slept on it, i don't think the lines are as atrocious as when i just finished the model.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
crossposting from the Terrain thread:
Got my 6' x 6' table as close to finished as I could last week, and it made its public debut!

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/gallery/oiKc9

Some piccies:

finished pic first

12 2400x1200x25mm styrofoam sheets

Casting up tons of plaster rocks

First hill done

About 50 batches of rocks were cast up, this is just a small selection

Starting the second canyon

The hillsides with 28mm figure for scale

Don't like the direction of the river? Swap it!

Putting the boards together for the first time

gap filling

First attempt at gluing the rocks in place

This took forever

Covered the foam with plaster, then PVA sprinkled with sand, rocks and fine soil

A wash of brown paint and watered down PVA darkened things up nicely

Filling in gaps with a paste of neat PVA and soil

Transporting the boards to their first display

And what the boards are actually meant for!

(very) Luckily I was able to do this during my day job, gaining loads of experience on how to do all this stuff so I can make a bunch of terrain and modular boards for myself and my friends. Next up: modular trench boards!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

holy poo poo how is this your day job

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cat Face Joe posted:

holy poo poo how is this your day job

Some days I ask that myself...but I work for the company that makes the RC trucks in the last picture :D and the boards will be going to the largest toy fair in the World at the end of January to show off our trucks & kits.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

krushgroove posted:

Some days I ask that myself...but I work for the company that makes the RC trucks in the last picture :D and the boards will be going to the largest toy fair in the World at the end of January to show off our trucks & kits.

Can the RC trucks actually drive on your terrain? Have you tried? or would that risk messing up all your hard work?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah they drove on it, there's quite a bit in the canyon areas that's smashed up and need some work. I'll need to re-profile part of one of the canyon slopes so it's easier to get up but other than that it's generally OK. You'd be surprised what the trucks can actually drive up!

For our big trade show I'll be adding lichen bushes, maybe some trees and flock.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hubis posted:

How are you using the flow improver? I've mixed a tiny, tiny amount of it with some water and matte medium in a dropper bottle to use for thinning, but I've also used straight matte medium or straight water, and I've never really been able to settle on something that works best. I'd like to kind of formalize my approach.

I add a few drops of it into paint on my palette along with a drop or two of water. Basically, I mix it as I go.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

BULBASAUR posted:

I add a few drops of it into paint on my palette along with a drop or two of water. Basically, I mix it as I go.

1:1-1:2 with the water, or even less than that?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
1:1 or more, water:flow improver

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Frobbe posted:

Sure, here's the best i can do with the desk lamp i've got. i'll buy a better bulb for it tomorrow.

after having slept on it, i don't think the lines are as atrocious as when i just finished the model.
Much better! It shouldn't be hard to clean up those lines a little bit and you'll be golden.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty impressed with my first attempts at skin and hair. Sadly the camera phone doesn't do it justice

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Y'all might learn a thing or two about painting in this stream: http://www.twitch.tv/bobross

edit: I'm actually serious about this. Might learn a thing about mixing colors if that's something anyone in this thread struggles with.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 30, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Bob Ross owns and if you're not watching him you're missing out.

Even if you learn nothing about mini painting from him, he's inspirational. Bob Ross believes in you! Like, yes, you, as an individual. He believes in you, and your ability to create beautiful minis, because he believes in all of us :buddy:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
realtalk: I am a thick-on-thin painter and paint my space marines that way. It's how I learned to do oil painting and I can't seem to get over it for miniatures. I don't thin my paints with water once I've given them their primer and a thin layer of color.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Frobbe posted:

Pretty sure someone else has jumped in on this, but if you're concerned about blending in those highlights, you might consider applying a glaze. I hate to plug GW products, but something like a Bloodletter glaze over all the red can help blend the transition a bit more smoothly, while still keeping that brightness. As it is, it's not bad; the highlight lines are just a little thick, and from tabletop distance it won't look nearly as "atrocious" as it does with a camera shoved up close.

krushgroove...goddamn, that's amazing. (Are those just Woodland Scenics molds for the rocks, or homemade?)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Oh, hey, Oath Thread plug and crosspost!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

:skeltal: Oath Complete! :skeltal:

Doing the Technical Challenge for this month, which I've once again taken literally: classic monsters in black & white!

(Obviously I didn't paint the large blast template, that's just in there to prove that this is a color photo of a B&W object. Also pictured are the mold lines I just couldn't remove because Bones.)

And now I'm going to look for some classic Universal monster flicks! Full album, including closeups on our stars, is here.

This is your occasional reminder to join the Oath Thread! Learn from the best* while competing with them for valuable prizes every month!

* not me

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Star Man posted:

Y'all might learn a thing or two about painting in this stream: http://www.twitch.tv/bobross

edit: I'm actually serious about this. Might learn a thing about mixing colors if that's something anyone in this thread struggles with.

how does this twitch channel have 65000 viewers at 1am on a weekday

edit: its currently the most viewed channel on twitch by like twofold

Hauki fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 30, 2015

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

Hauki posted:

It's hypnotic. I've been stuck in this Bob Ross vortex for like 3 hours now.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dr. Gargunza posted:

krushgroove...goddamn, that's amazing. (Are those just Woodland Scenics molds for the rocks, or homemade?)

Yeah all WS molds - they sell a latex rubber you can put on rocks you find so you can make your own molds, but you can get any latex off of ebay for that. Brush the thin stuff on first then mix a little bit of latex thickener in a small cup and brush that on after the first couple of layers are dry. Eventually you have your own rock mold! Haven't tried that yet because I have a shitload of rocks left over to make terrain and stuff at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hauki posted:

edit: its currently the most viewed channel on twitch by like twofold

I wouldn't be shocked to find it is people using his soothing voice to fall asleep. Several thousand people gently sleeping to Bob's gentle and reaffirming words.

That or a gently caress ton of people in Europe and Australia are learning how to paint.

E:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 30, 2015